Make an Anarchy Server

RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: RaveRadbury
Github Username: RaveRadbury

Make an Anarchy Server

Post by RaveRadbury » #596613

Sticky has been suggesting some form of anarchy server for like two elections now and I think it's an idea worth talking about.

We'd probably have to keep a few rules like 8 and 11.

Let's try an anarchy ruleset on Bagil. Give players an opportunity to fully demonstrate their mechanical robustness, a chance to try out a combo or cause destruction.
Last edited by RaveRadbury on Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bobah
Byond Username: BobahNotNervere

Re: Make Bagil an Anarchy Server

Post by Bobah » #596615

yea i think thats a good idea
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #596616

It's gimmicky and just reinforces the idea that LRP = NRP (as long as it is continued to be called Bagil)

You didnt actually explain why it would be good
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #596617

:((((

Tried to edit this post almost right after i made it but lost connection and just got it back now!

Once my internet is a bit more stable I’ll write something less reactionary and not nice =/
Last edited by wesoda25 on Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
[this space reserved]
Jimmius
Byond Username: Jimmius

Post by Jimmius » #596618

no (personal opinion, not headmin ruling)
tattle
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Dragomagol

Post by tattle » #596620

I don't think that having an anarchy server would be good, especially not on Bagil.

I've seen a couple of all-traitor rounds and they've gone over quite well. But like chaotic, high-threat rounds, I think they should be done sparingly, not 24/7.
Last edited by tattle on Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
Help improve my neural network by giving me feedback!

Spoiler:
TheFinalPotato
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: LemonInTheDark

Post by TheFinalPotato » #596623

Cobby wrote:It's gimmicky and just reinforces the idea that LRP = NRP (as long as it is continued to be called Bagil)

My ancestors are smiling at me, Imperials. Can you say the same?
ArcaneDefence
Byond Username: ArcaneDefence

Post by ArcaneDefence » #596624

Isn't this what downstreams like hippie were for?
Mickyan
Github User
Byond Username: Mickyan
Github Username: Mickyan

Post by Mickyan » #596625

I think it'd be an interesting thing to try but it should be done on a completely new server rather than try to force it on an existing community, then we'll know if there's any real interest in it if it doesn't become a ghost town after a week
ImageI play on Manuel as Swanni, the brain-damaged moth.
Be nice to each other.
SkeletalElite
Byond Username: SkeletalElite
Github Username: SkeletalElite

Post by SkeletalElite » #596628

just do a monthly anarchy day the way goon does.
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Post by Mothblocks » #596640

Cobby wrote:It's gimmicky and just reinforces the idea that LRP = NRP (as long as it is continued to be called Bagil)

Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Misdoubtful

Post by Misdoubtful » #596647

I'd be more interested in seeing use of event hall for something like this personally. Along with a calendar of events and things going down people can check out. Like anarchy rounds one week, maybe increased events or threat another week, etc.
Hugs
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #596649

SkeletalElite wrote:just do a monthly anarchy day the way goon does.
ass day is a great feature
Swept
Byond Username: Swept

Post by Swept » #596650

Would this mean I can say nigger and faggot on Bagil in a hateful way?
DON'T PLAY SPACE STATION 14
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #596651

It will get stale really quickly. We shouldn't make a whole server a gimmick, that's a dumb idea.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #596652

we should have no place for that kind of playstyle on /tg/ ever.
wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #596653

Alright have time for an actual post now

First of all, I resent the designation of Bagil for such a server. What becomes of the current culture? What about the work both admins and players have made contributing to the culture and server? Are we supposed to bend over and let the hippie tier retards who will flood the server have their way?

That actually sort of leads me to my next point: Who exactly is the target audience for such a server? Our rules are already loose and offer a great deal of leeway in player interaction. This is all to keep the experience up to standard and keep it as enjoyable as possible. Why would we offer a server without this bare minimum of reatriction? Have people really tricked themselves into thinking it will become anything but a breeding ground of toxicity and dickishness?

We don’t need to cater to every play style. We don’t need to cater to every type of player. Something I’ve taken away from Manuel is that while it does whisk away players from our other servers (which I assume is the motivation behind this proposal), it also actively attracts players who desire the advertised experience. I don’t want people who can’t respect and follow our already very relaxed ruleset to have any place or voice within the community.
[this space reserved]
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #596660

I refuse to let the final death of basil being the slow game more-rp server happen. Never! Neverrrrr!
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Sylphet
Byond Username: Sylphet

Post by Sylphet » #596672

I would be interested in this, but I don't want to see Bagil used for it. Even as someone who's pretty much never played there - I would be very upset if we used Sybil or Manuel for this and I don't think that they should have their server taken either. Like Manuel took a lot of the RP focused players from LRP, this would take the NRP focused players from our existing servers, improving quality everywhere else - I do agree with the concerns about it becoming a toxic hell, but this seems to me to be what some people want, and if giving them this is the sacrifice that we need to make to get this culture under control, then I can live with it.
Tell me how much you think that I should be thrown out of the nearest airlock !
https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 37&t=27175
Cimika
Byond Username: Cimika

Post by Cimika » #596674

Event hall should be our anarchy server.
Queen of the 2020 Summer Ball
Spoiler:
From the legendary ShadowFlame thread :

Yellow Wollywog
Byond Username: Soahc2

Post by Yellow Wollywog » #596684

Hell no. Anarchy servers in /tg/station will, without fail, devolve into a gamer gear murderbone and cuban pete speedrun fests marred by countless amounts of slurs, gamer words, and painfully unfunny "jokes". In addition, this will force a *lot* of moderation to be on sec's side, which the game is far from balanced for thanks to the trend of a new sec nerf being posted to the git every tuesday. Which, on a similar note, this will promote painful abuse of jobs, most notable being sec speedrunning harmbatoning the clown into crit, engies speedrunning putting instant kill internet gas into distro, medbay speedrunning their own stress limits, and sci getting tided into and robusted round start because unga unga tider want gamer gear.
So far I have uninstalled byond 6 times.
Crag once sent me a picture of a babirusa. It was pretty cool.
Narsie is not coggers. especially that fake removal pr goof. cult bad etc etc
saprasam
Byond Username: Saprasam

Post by saprasam » #596695

oranges wrote:we should have no place for that kind of playstyle on /tg/ ever.

(FORMER) tgmc admin (I HAVE REGAINED MY HUMAN RIGHTS)
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #596700

wow what if we like made a rule that said that LRP wasn't NRP

woah what

no way

the point of the anarchy server is it's designed to be a mixer with primarily people throwing one or two rounds at it just to blow off steam and not feel the desire to need antag to enjoy the chaotic violent parts of the game.

I wouldn't use an existing server, but use one of the dead servers instead. Roleplay should absolutely be reinforced to the same standards as other /tg/station servers, frankly I think Terry is probably too low atm anyway

Don't imply roleplay has to be thrown out for a more violent server. The terry low rp is a terry thing, not a low rule thing. That server has the same ruleset as any other.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #596701

I didn’t mention terry (this is a bagil thread?) and we DO have these rules it’s just subject to admins enforcing them (and indirectly players reporting).

We have modes designed around “letting steam off” while still upholding the general barebones rules (see rev with relaxed escalation), If a person can’t RP on the server that has the low bar I’m not sure how you are going to mental long jump to they’ll be able to if the bar is pretty much removed.

Also I now have to deal with the occasional “sorry I thought I was in the anarchy server” and that will peeve me :)
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Irad
Byond Username: IradT

Post by Irad » #596742

Yes - the less "rp" the better.

i would love a nrp server, and you exile all retards (like me) to it, and i dont have to see Manuel cringe. everyone is happy.
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Post by Mothblocks » #596747

people like the person above are why we should not have anything that bears the resemblance of nrp
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
Yenwodyah
Byond Username: Yenwodyah
Github Username: Yenwodyah

Post by Yenwodyah » #596752

people like the person above are why we need an nrp server
Pumpkin0
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Pumpkin0

Post by Pumpkin0 » #596766

Not a fan, really - as this cuts down on the amount of LRP servers there are for US players, and would put a lot of bagil players into a position where they're effectively homeless, because not everyone from there wants to shift over to Sybil. Genuinely think it's fine as to where it is, as an anarchy server would also be encouraging the sort of behaviour we don't really want on any of the other servers... I feel like it's not a neccesary change.
the w
Naloac
Byond Username: Naloac

Post by Naloac » #596770

Im personally not interested.
Timberpoes wrote: Lepi was right all along.
I Might Be an admin, You should leave me feedback: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 37&t=24032
RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: RaveRadbury
Github Username: RaveRadbury

Re: Make an Anarchy Server

Post by RaveRadbury » #596774

Thanks everyone for taking time out of your day to engage this thread.
I think oranges has good points about things, so I'm inclined to agree with him.
Having that said, I still think that this is a concept worth talking about, even if only in a hypothetical way.
Several people wrote:Putting it on Bagil is a bad idea.
This makes sense, putting it on Bagil is probably a bad idea. I would like to take a moment to say that my initial suggestion of Bagil wasn't meant as any sort of slight against the server or those who play there, it was more in regards to which of our servers have the most mechanically robust players (Bagil, Terry) and what alternative spaces would be available (Sybil). Part of the point of the anarchy server would be to allow players to have a space of pure mechanical competition and allow them to really push the limits of what the game is capable of. I assumed that Bagil would be able to handle such a space easily. Anyway, putting it on Bagil is a bad idea, scratch that.
Some people wrote:NRP haha hell yeah
I'm not suggesting NRP, I'm suggesting a relaxed ruleset that would would allow for self-regulation among the crew and greater opportunities to demonstrate mechanical skill at the game. I don't think that such an environment has no RP or would not allow it.

It's possible that if we provide a server for players to murderbone with the flavor of the week that might provide an outlet and reduce the "Wow I don't mind muderbone but it's happening constantly" sentiments that seem to crop up within the community.
XDTM
Github User
Byond Username: XDTM
Github Username: XDTM

Post by XDTM » #596780

From what i've seen in various web communities, 'containment' sections mostly end up becoming magnets and echo chambers for whatever they're supposed to contain, and eventually seep into the mainstream sections even more than before.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
Irad

Post by Irad » #596795

XDTM wrote:From what i've seen in various web communities, 'containment' sections mostly end up becoming magnets and echo chambers for whatever they're supposed to contain, and eventually seep into the mainstream sections even more than before.
Like Manuel? or does this only go one way?
Sylphet
Byond Username: Sylphet

Post by Sylphet » #596796

XDTM wrote:From what i've seen in various web communities, 'containment' sections mostly end up becoming magnets and echo chambers for whatever they're supposed to contain, and eventually seep into the mainstream sections even more than before.
This is also a good point, I've seen the same thing happen before also. I'd like to think that we could control what leaks from a containment server - but we either can't or don't want to control it right now on the regular servers.
Tell me how much you think that I should be thrown out of the nearest airlock !
https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 37&t=27175
XDTM
Github User

Post by XDTM » #596798

Irad wrote:
Manuel included!

In my personal opinion, though, the kind of player attracted to Manuel culture generally brings more value to the servers than the kind of player attracted to an advertised lack of rules.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #596799

XDTM wrote:
Irad wrote:
Manuel included!

In my personal opinion, though, the kind of player attracted to Manuel culture generally brings more value to the servers than the kind of player attracted to an advertised lack of rules.
I think what he's implying is that manuel has done the exact opposite, it's sucked the RP that already existed out of other servers, not leaked RP into the others despite determined efforts by admins to stop people from acting like "Lrp" means shouting "yolo swagmogus" as you beat the clown to death for doing toxins suboptimally
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Irad

Post by Irad » #596812

Not-Dorsidarf wrote:
I think what he's implying is that manuel has done the exact opposite, it's sucked the RP that already existed out of other servers, not leaked RP into the others despite determined efforts by admins to stop people from acting like "Lrp" means shouting "yolo swagmogus" as you beat the clown to death for doing toxins suboptimally
My point is that either Manuel and a proposed anarchy server would either both promote their culture, or they would both act as an containment, you can't cherry-pick how you perceive policies work - either way there is no data backing up either point.

For me it's nice - I don't have to go to Manuel, and Manuel players don't have to see me, the only bad outcome that happens for me is when Manuel players push to git.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #596822

This game gives players too much power over each others' experiences for it to be enjoyable with almost no rules. It'll just lead to people abusing this power to make each other miserable. I foresee most players dead observing while murderbonerers and metacliques roam the halls, treating the game like their personal sandbox. It'll be survival of the fittest, where the fittest are the worst griefers. It will generate a lot of salt, some of which the admins will have to deal with.

I was around for Sigyn (experimental low rules server) and while TLE was there overseeing it, players definitely abused their power over each other just because they could. Killing or permabrigging people for flimsy reasons.

Why does Sticky want this anyway? How does he foresee it suiting him? Jack Steiner murderbone round every round? He loves to be the star of the show.
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #596824

cacogen wrote: Why does Sticky want this anyway? How does he foresee it suiting him? Jack Steiner murderbone round every round? He loves to be the star of the show.
Also I would explicitly ban murderbone from the anarchy server, similar to how it's banned on manual but applied only to non-antags (e.g. antags have total freedom, non-antags have manual antag levels of freedom)

I ran low rule rounds in the past and they were extremely fun and successful. I did this dozens of times and always with interesting and sustainable results. The reality of reduced escalations is that while assistants can be shitters, so can security, meaning your bullshit line toeing actually results in you getting spaced by an aggressive security team and you end up doing less overall damage to the round than just low escalation griefing for 45 minutes. It ironically made rounds better than a lot of the worst shit I see on Terry.

I keep bringing Terry up because it ostensibly has the same ruleset and yet the line toeing grief and shittery at all levels makes it chaotic and player interactions unpleasant a lot of the time. I don't mind playing in that culture but I think it's worse than if there were no rules at all.

I want to prove that's the case. There's no weird self-promoting conspiracy I'm just confident it's a great idea that will have positive knock on effects for the whole community. It's not a containment server, it's the exact opposite. It's a place anyone from any server can go to fuck around for a couple rounds, get bored and go back to their regular rounds with their regular community having worked out some violent tendencies.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Agux909
Byond Username: Agux909

Post by Agux909 » #596825

Wasn't the game more like this years ago? You know, with player agency being a predominant factor.

What about using Campbell's slot? Is it available as an option? If you're gonna run an experiment do it on an unused slot.

XDTM
Github User

Post by XDTM » #596826

There's a possibility that many players will join the server to fuck around, but instead just get consistently outrobusted by the players who specialize in it and just become the sacrificial victims for the fun of the current murderboner. It would kinda defeat the point of being stress relief if it ends up being always the same people getting it.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #596830

Stickymayhem wrote: I ran low rule rounds in the past and they were extremely fun and successful. I did this dozens of times and always with interesting and sustainable results. The reality of reduced escalations is that while assistants can be shitters, so can security, meaning your bullshit line toeing actually results in you getting spaced by an aggressive security team and you end up doing less overall damage to the round than just low escalation griefing for 45 minutes. It ironically made rounds better than a lot of the worst shit I see on Terry.
“Sustainable results” - I would say because you were doing them in isolation. A set round to go ham. Creating a place which always allows this type of behavior allows a culture to develop; it happened for Manuel, it will happen here. When you create a place where people can be assholes and do what they want, it will attract assholes who want to do whatever they want.
Stickymayhem wrote: I want to prove that's the case. There's no weird self-promoting conspiracy I'm just confident it's a great idea that will have positive knock on effects for the whole community. It's not a containment server, it's the exact opposite. It's a place anyone from any server can go to fuck around for a couple rounds, get bored and go back to their regular rounds with their regular community having worked out some violent tendencies.
... it’s a containment server for behavior we don’t want to see on our normal servers.
[this space reserved]
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #596835

wesoda25 wrote:
Stickymayhem wrote: I ran low rule rounds in the past and they were extremely fun and successful. I did this dozens of times and always with interesting and sustainable results. The reality of reduced escalations is that while assistants can be shitters, so can security, meaning your bullshit line toeing actually results in you getting spaced by an aggressive security team and you end up doing less overall damage to the round than just low escalation griefing for 45 minutes. It ironically made rounds better than a lot of the worst shit I see on Terry.
“Sustainable results” - I would say because you were doing them in isolation. A set round to go ham. Creating a place which always allows this type of behavior allows a culture to develop; it happened for Manuel, it will happen here. When you create a place where people can be assholes and do what they want, it will attract assholes who want to do whatever they want.
Stickymayhem wrote: I want to prove that's the case. There's no weird self-promoting conspiracy I'm just confident it's a great idea that will have positive knock on effects for the whole community. It's not a containment server, it's the exact opposite. It's a place anyone from any server can go to fuck around for a couple rounds, get bored and go back to their regular rounds with their regular community having worked out some violent tendencies.
... it’s a containment server for behavior we don’t want to see on our normal servers.
So Manual is a containment server for MRP?

The way you're using containment server makes it lose so much meaning it's worthless as a criticism of anything
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #596837

Agux909 wrote:Wasn't the game more like this years ago? You know, with player agency being a predominant factor.
fuck you man, we have never had an anarchy ruleset
Capsandi
Byond Username: Capsandi

Post by Capsandi » #596839

Worth a try, I'd play it
Timonk wrote:
Wesoda25 wrote:Genuinely think they should be blacklisted.
You have clearly never seen his dick
Lower your tone with me if your tracked play time doesn't look like this:
Flatulent wrote:of course you can change religion doing it while islamic however makes you lose your head from happiness
XivilaiAnaxes
Byond Username: XivilaiAnaxes

Post by XivilaiAnaxes » #596840

Didn't someone make an admin complaint about you for making a highlander round?

Hypocrite!!!
Stickymayhem wrote:Imagine the sheer narcisssim required to genuinely believe you are this intelligent.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #596853

Stickymayhem wrote: I keep bringing Terry up because it ostensibly has the same ruleset and yet the line toeing grief and shittery at all levels makes it chaotic and player interactions unpleasant a lot of the time.
Chaos is a ladder, a ladder to fun. But going low rules is only going to make player interactions more unpleasant.
Stickymayhem wrote:non-antags have manual antag levels of freedom
Wouldn't that mean you could just kill (or hold captive, or otherwise fuck with) anyone at any time? But even with lax escalation you'd still get people abusing their newfound power over other players to make them miserable.
Agux909 wrote:Wasn't the game more like this years ago? You know, with player agency being a predominant factor.
Anytime I see Cobby say "protagonist play" I do want to kill something.
XDTM wrote:There's a possibility that many players will join the server to fuck around, but instead just get consistently outrobusted by the players who specialize in it and just become the sacrificial victims for the fun of the current murderboner. It would kinda defeat the point of being stress relief if it ends up being always the same people getting it.
Yes, it's already like this with murderbone antags. The crew, working hard on their own goals and pursuing their own fun, become cannon fodder for the fun of one admirable piece of shit. So this server will just cater to the most robust or metacliques of the most robust. The people who are new, suck or have bad latency and choose to play there anyway will just consistently serve as victims for these people. Some of them will swallow their pride and leave. But it'll be a shithole where the most callous and aggressive powergamers reign supreme (so HippieStation).

In saying that though, I'm not against a server that I won't have to play on, especially as an experiment with tweaks to make it less like what I've described above. I'd certainly try it, if only to see if my predictions are correct. I just think it will be a toxic shithole. If it serves as a containment server for powergaming shitters then maybe that's okay (but then maybe it'd attract shitters to /tg/ like /pol/ attracted Stormfront and then they'd spill over into the other less robust servers).
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #596870

Wouldn't that mean you could just kill (or hold captive, or otherwise fuck with) anyone at any time? But even with lax escalation you'd still get people abusing their newfound power over other players to make them miserable.
I offer two hypothetical scenarios that make my point.

Bob the Assistant plays on Terry
Bob is bored and wants to stir shit up, so he breaks into engineering to steal gloves and tools
An engineer, Jess, catches Bob, but Bob is robust and Jess is hesitant to murder him, so he slips him, takes his ID and sticks him in a locker
Another engineer tries to stop Bob, but Bob has the id and some tools now and gets away
Later Jess finds Bob breaking back in for a space suit or some shit. This time she puts him down with a toolbox, but has to take him to medbay as per the escalation rules.
Bob goes to medbay and returns to reclaim his stolen gear, breaking back in and harassing Jess.
Jess gets frustrated and repels him, calling security.
Security chucklefucks their way into arresting Bob, and gives him ten minutes
Bob is freed, and immediately returns to Engineering with a blood vendetta against Jess for getting him arrested for ten minutes and critting him
Jess is halfway through her autism fort when Bob appears with a flamethrower and burns her.
Bob takes Jess to medbay and now Jess has a blood vendetta against Bob
This escalates until someone reaches the arbitrary point where they can get spaced

Pete the assistant plays on Anarchy server
Pete is bored and wants to stir shit up, so he breaks into engineering to steal gloves and tools
Jess throws his ass in the supermatter, end of conflict
Or
Pete wins, throws jess in the supermatter, end of conflict

Escalation and honestly the rules in general promote these long round long conflicts which people get upset over, as opposed to immediate harsh conseqeunces for shittery. If every time you did dumb shit to ANYONE there was the real risk of being immediately spaced and having no more round participation, I think we'd see less conflict. This was the case for my trials, some of which lasted 8 hours of rounds back in the day. Security will crack greytide skulls so the greytide don't do that line toeing bullshit but instead have to actually be wary of the permanent consequences of their actions.
XDTM
Github User

Post by XDTM » #596871

Containing griefers into a server where they have to deal with each other like that sounds kinda swell if it weren't for
a) the aforementioned magnet effect
b) plenty of griefers tend to get their kicks off the fact they pissed someone off, and the lack of easy victims means the server wouldn't 'contain' them
c) why should we reward that kind of selfish, annoying, rule-toeing playstyle with a specialized server?
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Agux909
Byond Username: Agux909

Post by Agux909 » #596872

oranges wrote:
fuck you man, we have never had an anarchy ruleset
I meant ss13 as a whole, fruit.

Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #596880

XDTM wrote:Containing griefers into a server where they have to deal with each other like that sounds kinda swell if it weren't for
a) the aforementioned magnet effect
b) plenty of griefers tend to get their kicks off the fact they pissed someone off, and the lack of easy victims means the server wouldn't 'contain' them
c) why should we reward that kind of selfish, annoying, rule-toeing playstyle with a specialized server?
It's not a containment server
It doesn't affect the rules of other servers
We reward rule-toeing playstyle plenty, this is literally the opposite of rule toeing, there's no rules to toe.

The easy, lazy logical leap so many people are falling into is very disappointing, if you think about your own opinions for literally 30 seconds you'll realise they're nonsensical and contradictory

Just knee jerk reactions honestly, it's not surprising but I know most of you aren't actually this dumb