Increase hours requirements for head roles.

Cimika
Byond Username: Cimika

Increase hours requirements for head roles.

Post by Cimika » #596668

Bottom post of the previous page:

About this policy

Increase the hour requirements for the following roles : Captain, Head of Personnel, Head of Security, Chief Medical Officer, Research Director, Chief Engineer and AI.

Why this would be good for the game

Head roles are difficult. They offer a lot more possibilities, access, gear and authority than normal roles, but they come with a huge burden : responsabilities. It should be expected that head roles are competent in their departments, and overall knowledgeable about the various basic game mechanics. Too often, I see heads that don't fit these criterias, and that just pick the role for the added gear/access without trying to do their job as command, or failing at it and be a detriment to the department.

When I was a new player, I had unlocked some head roles BEFORE I was even proficient with the game's controls and basic mechanics, and I don't think that should be the case. We should enforce a longer learning period for new players before they can be command. This also serves as a period during which you can familiarize yourself with the rules, which would lead to a decrease in command grief/fuck-ups. A recent incident comes to mind, where a player with very low hours tried to play Captain as soon as they unlocked it, and started soft griefing by selling sec lockers and the armoury because they are not familiar with or even used to what a Head should act like.

As for AI, 20 hours is way too little to become used to silicon policy. I've seen a lot of new AI players fuck that up recently, and I think they would benefit from a longer learning period.

The actual changes

Current values :

You need fifteen hours in the corresponding department to play a job. That means you can be CE with fifteen hours in engineering. Captain only needs fifteen hours as any command role. AI needs fifteen hours as Silicon.

On a side note, you only need five hours as crew to unlock all sec jobs (Warden, Detective, SecOfficer). You need two hours as crew to unlock Cyborg. You need one hours as crew to unlock all research jobs.

I think it should be increased to at least fourty or fifty hours for command roles.

Thank you for your time reading this, I look forward to seeing everyone's opinion on this.
Queen of the 2020 Summer Ball
Spoiler:
From the legendary ShadowFlame thread :

Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Misdoubtful

Re: Increase hours requirements for head roles.

Post by Misdoubtful » #597557

oranges wrote:Frankly I don't even think this is a problem, I think the problem is that it's so horrible to actually play headroles that instead of all of our long time 600+ hour players competing for the roles, they're all in assistant slots while the 10 hour players are the only people actually naive enough to enable the headroles.

There's a lot more the admin team could do to make the experience of playing as a head actually improved, all this does is filter the already small list of people who want to play head roles down even further.
Yeah I'd rather see something that would encourage people to WANT to play head roles and WANT to put effort into playing them.
Hugs
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Post by Mothblocks » #597570

oranges wrote:Frankly I don't even think this is a problem, I think the problem is that it's so horrible to actually play headroles that instead of all of our long time 600+ hour players competing for the roles, they're all in assistant slots while the 10 hour players are the only people actually naive enough to enable the headroles.

alas, like a large amount of other problems, it really comes down to no job content in the end
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
Indie-ana Jones
Byond Username: Indie-ana Jones

Post by Indie-ana Jones » #597641

Jaredfogle wrote:

alas, like a large amount of other problems, it really comes down to no job content in the end
I don't see the issue, RD gets a research console, its fun and unique as all hell. Even better when you factor in experi-sci is mostly scanning chairs and toilets made of random materials, its everything you could ask for in an engaging experience.
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer

Post by Mothblocks » #597643

The first thing scientists do is create a research console, is there something I'm missing?
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.

SkeletalElite
Byond Username: SkeletalElite
Github Username: SkeletalElite

Post by SkeletalElite » #597645

Jaredfogle wrote:The first thing scientists do is create a research console, is there something I'm missing?
sarcasm
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer

Post by Mothblocks » #597680

fair enough it was like 5am without sleep

oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #597700

Jaredfogle wrote:

I don't agree, because the assistant role has no job content at all, so it's clearly not even remotely related to job content and is instead entirely round structure, meta and admin rulings
WineAllWine
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Wineallwine

Post by WineAllWine » #597717

oranges wrote: There's a lot more the admin team could do to make the experience of playing as a head actually improved, all this does is filter the already small list of people who want to play head roles down even further.
What would you suggest? (This sounds flippant but I'm genuinely asking)
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #597719

WineAllWine wrote:
oranges wrote: There's a lot more the admin team could do to make the experience of playing as a head actually improved, all this does is filter the already small list of people who want to play head roles down even further.
Aside from the gamer gear, what's the main reason you'd play a command role? The ability to give orders that nobody listens to? Playing command is more responsibility and in many ways more restrictive of your playstyle, and many just don't want to deal with the hassle.

Outside Manuel, people seldom respect the chain of command unless you have the equipment and manpower to robust them when they refuse (in my experience). Good luck demoting anyone. Even if you succeed, there's a good chance they'll either suicide or dedicate their round to screwing with you.

People in general are more willing to play along in an MRP setting, which adds a fun incentive to playing command. I've ordered unstable crewmembers to receive psychiatric evaluations, conducted inspections and given orders as HoP (a famously toothless head), pulled rank on underlings, and (get this) even demoted people without them suiciding or greytiding me for the rest of the shift.

The above is one of the reasons I'm disappointed that this policy discussion never got addressed. When head roles have teeth (either by server rules, or server culture), playing a head role is a lot more enjoyable.
► Show Spoiler
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Misdoubtful

Post by Misdoubtful » #597722

Farquaar wrote:The above is one of the reasons I'm disappointed that this policy discussion never got addressed. When head roles have teeth (either by server rules, or server culture), playing a head role is a lot more enjoyable.
I can't believe I missed this thread. Its an absolute no brainer.

There just isn't any protective incentive for people to actually want to play heads for anything other than the gear.
Hugs
Tlaltecuhtli
Byond Username: Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #597724

only important head jobs are ce hos and qm as they spawn with good gear rest are noob bait like cmo and rd
captain isnt even a real head its just assistant+++
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #597729

I wanna code a dock pay feature for heads
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #597731

WineAllWine wrote:
enforce the chain of command ooc as well as IC so the heads don't have to rely on an often busy or inadequate security team to do it.
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer

Post by Mothblocks » #597732

Armhulen wrote:I wanna code a dock pay feature for heads
it's already a smite also NO peanut in the policy discussion thread--THANK YOU! and God bless

Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #597733

Jaredfogle wrote:
it's already a smite also NO peanut in the policy discussion thread--THANK YOU! and God bless
No, really though. Big part of bringing old players back to head roles is giving them the ability to deal with people that are supposed to be working under them
TheFinalPotato
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: LemonInTheDark

Post by TheFinalPotato » #597736

This would require paychecks
My ancestors are smiling at me, Imperials. Can you say the same?
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #597749

TheFinalPotato wrote:
This would require paychecks
It could:
1. Just be an RP punishment
2. Actually delete money out of their bank account
The latter sounds abusable, but head roles ready have more scrutiny than the average doofus, so why not? :v)
► Show Spoiler
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer

Post by Mothblocks » #597752

Armhulen wrote:
Jaredfogle wrote:
No, really though. Big part of bringing old players back to head roles is giving them the ability to deal with people that are supposed to be working under them
oooh you mean FROM heads. carry on

Kel
Byond Username: Jaraxxus

Post by Kel » #597765

honestly bad heads dont even impact anything except by taking the slot and the universally unnecessary for anything (except the CE's PDA server password) bonus tools that they get. everyone disrespects heads at their leisure, sometimes as an entire gamemode. ironically a weak player being head of staff has the highest impact when you should be doing your job the least - during a revolution, too bad knowledge of your job means absolutely nothing in this scenario. perhaps 500h in sec should be considered so that we can be assured you have acquired a survival instinct and a solid grasp of combat... oh wait, thats retarded. just like this suggestion.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #597766

Kel wrote:honestly bad heads dont even impact anything.
This is also what drives away good players, fyi. If you don't matter when you flop you also don't matter when you're good, and a leadership role with no leadership isn't fun.
Kel
Byond Username: Jaraxxus

Post by Kel » #597767

Armhulen wrote:
This is also what drives away good players, fyi. If you don't matter when you flop you also don't matter when you're good, and a leadership role with no leadership isn't fun.
it is a necessary evil. as long as heads of staff are not literally forced every round in every department, having a single guy REQUIRED for the department to function like how the RD console tried to do results in weird job marooning where you need outside intervention to do your own job. HoP is the living embodiment of this, but luckily he isnt critical for station function. making heads of staff stuff like doctor+ is just the only realistic way to go about it.

also lets be real most people dont play heads of staff because they dont want to get bitched out by everyone for trying to exert authority and get lynched every few rounds by a revolution.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #597769

Kel wrote:
Armhulen wrote:
it is a necessary evil. as long as heads of staff are not literally forced every round in every department, having a single guy REQUIRED for the department to function like how the RD console tried to do results in weird job marooning where you need outside intervention to do your own job. HoP is the living embodiment of this, but luckily he isnt critical for station function. making heads of staff stuff like doctor+ is just the only realistic way to go about it.

also lets be real most people dont play heads of staff because they dont want to get bitched out by everyone for trying to exert authority and get lynched every few rounds by a revolution.
...Which probably comes back to oranges suggesting more admin intervention and respect for chain of command and heads having more power to punish and reward people under them
Omega_DarkPotato
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Omega_DarkPotato

Post by Omega_DarkPotato » #597888

heads having more power to punish those under them needs admins on to really watch it
sybil still has moments where we just don't have any staff on, at all.
it's improved a lot since ye olden days of "6 hours with not a single jannie on" back when we were the lowpop and bagil was highpop, but I still think that giving heads ability to fuck over members of their department without it being something that you *need* a staff member on to do sounds like a sure-fire way for shit to hit the fan the moment a jannie's not on.

hehe fucking catgirl md?????? not in my dept lol
-another person rping the most unique and interesting gimmick of racism
(fyi I'm a moth player not a catgirl player I'm not biased or pro-catgirl)
Super Aggro Crag wrote:This is what u get when u let people into your community
play opus: echo of starsong
I'm an admin, typically on /tg/station Sybil. If you've got anything you'd like to say about me, my adminning, or my decisions, please comment in my admin feedback thread!
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #598157

oranges wrote:
Jaredfogle wrote:

I don't agree, because the assistant role has no job content at all, so it's clearly not even remotely related to job content and is instead entirely round structure, meta and admin rulings
if you're head there's responsibility, ic and ooc expectations and you're a target so it's more demanding even if a job like hop is just all-access assistant most of the time (which is why it's such a good one!)
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

kieth4
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Kieth4

Post by kieth4 » #598733

Add whitelists to roles like HoS and Captain. Thanks.
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #598746

Ew, that’s even worse than increasing hours required
[this space reserved]
TheFinalPotato
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: LemonInTheDark

Post by TheFinalPotato » #598749

The admin team wouldn't be able to whitelist people often enough
My ancestors are smiling at me, Imperials. Can you say the same?
saprasam
Byond Username: Saprasam

Post by saprasam » #598752

kieth4 wrote:Add whitelists to roles like HoS and Captain. Thanks.
good bait
(FORMER) tgmc admin (I HAVE REGAINED MY HUMAN RIGHTS)
kieth4
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Kieth4

Post by kieth4 » #598758

TheFinalPotato wrote:The admin team wouldn't be able to whitelist people often enough
there aren't many people who play these roles it's not like they'll have a queue of 100000
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #598904

We don't take the game seriously enough to require an admin whitelist for roles and that's a good thing
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #599163

kieth4 wrote:Add whitelists to roles like HoS and Captain. Thanks.
time is a flat circle
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
mindstormy
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Mindstormy

Post by mindstormy » #599327

I agree with the other posters here. Currently playing a head role is just straight up not fun. We should not discourage players from playing head roles by increasing the hours needed to play the roles. We need to find ways to make playing these roles not terrible. I also think white listing these roles is an even worse idea. I would rather play with a completely incompetent head of staff in charge of my department than no head at all. If we increase the hours needed for these roles we will end up in one of two situations. 1) only try hard losers play head roles and we turn into a MRP / HRP server or worse Manuel or 2) no one plays head roles. Hence I vote no on increasing hours played for head roles.

Having said that, I do think that players playing head roles should be held to a higher standard of not being an complete idiot in game. This is additional admin burden, but it is the reason we are here. This is where some bwoinking to give advice and guide these players could be helpful and encourage players to not be idiots, at least more helpful than straight up banning them from the role if they are receptive to the advice.
Mailbox
Byond Username: Mailbox

Post by Mailbox » #599784

Shit heads will be shit heads no matter how many hours they get. It's rare that a head of staff incompetence is the doom of the station.