Better traits for friendly kudzu

A place to record your ideas for the game.
bean_sprout
Byond Username: Barber_Ferdinand

Better traits for friendly kudzu

Post by bean_sprout » #599306

So, we all know kudzu. But did you know that kudzu actually has a few helpful mutations? It's true! It can also be neutered to prevent further mutations, effectively rendering a strain beneficial. The problem is, these mutations are kinda useless. Absorbing plasma/CO2, glowing, nothing that really justifies the difficulty of making it or compensates for the fact that it randomly buckles you and covers thing you are using.

But, what if more mutations were added that provided additional benefit? I think this might be worthwhile because it would:
(a) Give incentive to make kudzu that would benefit the station.
and
(b) Slightly nerf harmful kudzu by diluting the possible negative traits it has.
and
(c) Kudzu is just cool in general, and I think we can all agree that the more kudzu the station has, the better.

Here are some idea's that I've had that could be beneficial kudzu mutations:

Sleek Kudzu - will no long randomly buckle you, and you move slightly faster while walking on it.
Brittle Kudzu - vines will be destroyed from even tiny amounts of damage, like a single punch or a crowbar strike. This is particular useful when trying to open a firelock or use a machine that is covered in kudzu. Possible mutually exclusive with hardened?
Timid Kudzu - will not spread to tiles that have something that would normally block you from walking on it, like machines or tables. Useful for keeping it on the floor where it belongs!
Latticed Kudzu - will cover and seal holes in the floor, effectively creating new floor, similar to the effect of foam grenades. Some care will be needed to keep it from just expanding infinitely into space. Maybe only active in areas recognized as rooms?
Rough Kudzu - the surface provides traction, preventing slip effects. Remember clown, botany giveth and botany taketh away.
Aesthetic Kudzu - walking in it provides a slight mood increase. Ah, the wonders of nature!

These are just some traits I picked off the top of my head, but really it could be anything. What beneficial traits would you like to see on your friendly neighborhood BUDzu?
saprasam
Byond Username: Saprasam

Re: Better traits for friendly kudzu

Post by saprasam » #599350

if the station turns into fucking jumani im gonna personally fly over to botany and elbowdrop them because "the kudzu is good 4 you :P"
(FORMER) tgmc admin (I HAVE REGAINED MY HUMAN RIGHTS)
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #599367

pretty cool post ^
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

Omega_DarkPotato
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Omega_DarkPotato

Post by Omega_DarkPotato » #599485

saw a botanist release good kudzu while I was bartender

I was unable to tend bar
having a trait for good kudzu that makes it unable to spread onto tables would be nice
Super Aggro Crag wrote:This is what u get when u let people into your community
play opus: echo of starsong
I'm an admin, typically on /tg/station Sybil. If you've got anything you'd like to say about me, my adminning, or my decisions, please comment in my admin feedback thread!
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #599500

saprasam wrote:if the station turns into fucking jumani im gonna personally fly over to botany and elbowdrop them because "the kudzu is good 4 you :P"