SS13 Remake Source

General SS13 Chat
Phalanx300
Byond Username: Phalanx300

SS13 Remake Source

Post by Phalanx300 » #59846

http://forum.spacestation13.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=552

Apparantly the source will be released shortly. I wonder what that will mean for the future of SS13.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Re: SS13 Remake Source

Post by PKPenguin321 » #59873

Wow. So much potential in this, it's kinda hard to comprehend.
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #59879

do we need to prove that open source is better for development or what

/tg/ and /vg/ coders are collabing on a spiritual successor, nothing could go wrong with hornygranny, pomf, and n3x15 leading the charge in this source code's development

at all
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Miauw
Byond Username: Miauw62

Post by Miauw » #59911

ITS HABBEDING
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
<Tobba> I stared into BYOND and it farted
Kraso
Byond Username: S0ldi3rKr4s0
Github Username: Kraseo

Post by Kraso » #59936

Miauw wrote:ITS HABBEDING
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #59953

Violaceus wrote:Sounds great, I would love to see coders from main branches of ss13 forming one team to make something working out of that code.

Like this will ever happen...
it's literally already happening right now.
with N3X15 of VG as project lead.
私は完璧
Comrade Leo
Byond Username: ComradeLeo

Post by Comrade Leo » #59978

I want to habeeb
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #59979

remember: no clown, no credibility
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #59981

A new future for space station 13.

Who knows what will happen, nonetheless I hope something good comes out of this.
Jalleo
Byond Username: Jalleo

Post by Jalleo » #59987

As we know supernorns sprites wont be there though. Measures are already being put in place but for now the remake is going to be opensourced with codersprites. Not to mention a lot of the content we uave will need to be recreated for the remake. Medical is bareoy existant. There is atmos and some other bits and bobs but its really the engine that has been made so far not much else.

Spriters will be needed later on when more content exists but really at the moment only a engine and some things exist as we have heard.
We are talking a hell of a lot for what design should be done with everything from power to medicine to UI to money. Its going to be a while. But its hopefully getting there

We found out a day or eo ago and have been in a mad frenzy talking about it but are wanting to keep it low key due to the fact that its nothing truly complete and ready as we know.
Cuboos
Byond Username: Cuboos

Post by Cuboos » #59997

I could make 3D sprites that won't look shit and actually work well! :D
/TG/ First and Only Sound guy
The only Dev unanimously loved least hated.
danno
Byond Username: Dannno

Post by danno » #60009

paprika wrote:do we need to prove that open source is better for development or what

/tg/ and /vg/ coders are collabing on a spiritual successor, nothing could go wrong with hornygranny, pomf, and n3x15 leading the charge in this source code's development

at all
HAHAHAHA
dear god
Hornygranny wrote: wtf i like danno now
I don't even play ss13 anymore, pretty much due to dannos stupid bullshit
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #60056

this is literally the next evolution in bikeshedding and coder drama

i'm so excited
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #60067

Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #60068

I will remain blindly optimistic and yell at you lot when it fails.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #60077

at least when it's open source you can say "well i dont see YOU working on it either"
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
danno
Byond Username: Dannno

Post by danno » #60355

rest in shit.
Hornygranny wrote: wtf i like danno now
I don't even play ss13 anymore, pretty much due to dannos stupid bullshit
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #60378

Apogate

Post by Apogate » #60388

That looks incredibly disappointing
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays
Byond Username: DrPillzRedux

Post by DrPillzRedux » #60389

It's fucking bare bones no shit it looks disappointing. This can only get better. I know Volundr from goon is helping.
thot_slayer wrote:don't be a degenerate online if you don't want people to treat you like a degenerate morty
bandit wrote:what is this

a correct post by pillz
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #60451

What the fuck is that sprite even christ shit what
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
tedward1337
Byond Username: Tedward1337

Post by tedward1337 » #60453

Well im excited at least. This just requires work. The engine is all there
Major T on Steam/IRC/Twitch/everything else.
Game Admin
PM anytime with questions about the server, policies or for fun!
Spoiler:
<hg|work> why do we unban people
OOC: Shaps: pizza status: fucking delivered
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #60471

Apogate wrote:That looks incredibly disappointing
Even the semi-naked janitor's misshapen head appears to be hung low in shame
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #60473

It looks even worse than those screenshots of the oldest version of SS13.
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
Phalanx300

Post by Phalanx300 » #60476

Not sure about the complaints surely you can see the potential in this without being restricted by Byond. If you look at this picture they posted a while ago (not sure if art or ingame actually):
Spoiler:
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #60477

It has potential, lets just see if the new developers are capable of finishing this.
Phalanx300

Post by Phalanx300 » #60483

I just realised why it looks so bad: "The original sprites for the game, created by Adam Riches, have been withheld for use in a future project at his discretion. The original sprites have been replaced with placeholder images."
QuartzCrystal
Byond Username: QuartzCrystal

Post by QuartzCrystal » #60498

I always thought the original sprites look goofy as fuck.
Prophoem

Post by Prophoem » #60513

I honestly dont know what you guys where expecting it to look like. This game isnt near done and they took a lot of the art assets out because of legal reasons.

What matters is that we have base, an engine we have a start which is far more then any other project has had yet we can't just sit and complain about how little was done, otherwise we will never get to play spessmen in HD.

On that note where are HornyGranny and the others updating there work?
QuartzCrystal
Byond Username: QuartzCrystal

Post by QuartzCrystal » #60516

Prophoem wrote:I honestly dont know what you guys where expecting it to look like. This game isnt near done and they took a lot of the art assets out because of legal reasons.
I know, I was implying with my comment that I'm looking forward to someone making new sprites that don't look goofy. This is a good thing.
fleure
Byond Username: Fleure

Post by fleure » #60530

I am very excited, and I aim to try and get involved where possible.

Depending on the enthusiasm of other coders, that may mean our codebase stagnates, though.
Ex-/tg/station maintainer for being a lazy shit.
BornToHonk
Byond Username: BornToHonk

Post by BornToHonk » #60535

Prophoem

Post by Prophoem » #60537

QuartzCrystal wrote:
Prophoem wrote:I honestly dont know what you guys where expecting it to look like. This game isnt near done and they took a lot of the art assets out because of legal reasons.
I know, I was implying with my comment that I'm looking forward to someone making new sprites that don't look goofy. This is a good thing.
Sorry, i was getting mad because it seemed that everyone was complaining as though the original creators of this engine were being lazy.
Phalanx300

Post by Phalanx300 » #60548

Prophoem

Post by Prophoem » #60551

I am really happy that this engine was written in C# because that is the only language i really know XD
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #60553

>tfw you download github repository but can not into code
how do i start the spess
i just want to play a broken barebones remake
how do
Spoiler:
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #60557

PKPenguin321 wrote:>tfw you download github repository but can not into code
how do i start the spess
i just want to play a broken barebones remake
how do
You fucking learn how to code. You don't start running until you know how to walk, do you? Take a few C-Sharp tutorials, that's the language this seems to be written in, there are plenty on the internet.
Spoiler:
Prophoem

Post by Prophoem » #60558

http://scottlilly.com/learn-c-by-buildi ... rpg-index/

Here is a really good tutorial for all interested in learning C#. Its long but the person making it is very good at describing everything in a way that at least i understand.

For anyone else getting System.IO.FileNotFoundException you are supposed to run "Build resource pack" in the resource folder of the source code. Sorta wish there was some way for us stupids to be told that but whatever.
Last edited by Prophoem on Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apogate

Post by Apogate » #60559

Has anyone officially picked up where this left off yet?
It has been a whole 19 hours after all.

i suck dicks and can't read
Last edited by Apogate on Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prophoem

Post by Prophoem » #60560

Have you been paying attention bro? Phalanx posted the link to SS14 just a little up the screen.
Prophoem

Post by Prophoem » #60584

SS14 has a Phabricator page we are going to move everything from the current graphical stuff to OpenGL in order to allow Macs and linux to play.
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #60585

I tried but I just can't get excited over SS13 remakes any more. I'll cheer when you guys actually have something playable.
Spoiler:
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #60592

Violaceus wrote:>Space Wizards Federation
We're the best in spess.
私は完璧
Prophoem

Post by Prophoem » #60641

I think that one of the best things we can do to keep this remake from dying is just spread the word. Annoying people in OOC and Deadchat maybe even doing a full announcement on the site i don't know I am certain that given the opperotunity to leave the junky BYOND engine most people would happily jump ship. And then leave once they realize it doesn't have the same numer of options as TG allready has. But it would still be in there heads and that is what is important at this stage and in the future.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #60680

Prophoem wrote:http://scottlilly.com/learn-c-by-buildi ... rpg-index/

Here is a really good tutorial for all interested in learning C#. Its long but the person making it is very good at describing everything in a way that at least i understand.

For anyone else getting System.IO.FileNotFoundException you are supposed to run "Build resource pack" in the resource folder of the source code. Sorta wish there was some way for us stupids to be told that but whatever.
now I have a ResourcePack.zip and am still lost and cannot into space
>tfw im a stupid
Spoiler:
Bombadil
Byond Username: Kromgar

Post by Bombadil » #60753

http://www.digg.com/r/Games/comments/ ... ce/cnustk6

Supernorn says why he didn't include the art assets he made in the source
Planet Station Best Station

Vote Planetstation and Kor Phaeron 2017
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #60759

Does anyone else think a 3d remake of the game will suck? So much of this game comes from the poor graphics and shitty interface. Is it going to be the same old text chat? I cant help but feel like whatever comes out the other end will either completely suck dicks or be so unrecognizable it will not even be space station 13 anymore.
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Phalanx300

Post by Phalanx300 » #60765

Bombadil wrote:http://www.digg.com/r/Games/comments/ ... ce/cnustk6

Supernorn says why he didn't include the art assets he made in the source
They also said their art guy wanted to use them for other projects. Its a shame though.
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #60772

Well, one early decision that you will have to make is whether you'll keep human sprites static like they're now, or animate them. Currently, animating human sprites in /tg/station13 would be too much of an effort because you'd also have to animate every piece of clothing that already exists. But if you agree on animated sprites from the start in SS14, you will raise your workload but not run into this problem further down the line.

You'll have to settle for a general style for the game too. I made these little sprites a while ago:
Spoiler:
ImageImageImage
But although the saturated colour palette and dark (not black) outlines might work, I don't really think these proportions are suitable for SS13/14.
Spoiler: