Byond Username: SinfulBliss

[SinfulBliss] BrotherBeyond - Permaban

Post by sinfulbliss » #601593

BYOND account: SinfulBliss
Character name: Axle Brady
Ban type: All
Ban length: Permanent
Ban reason:
You have been banned by BrotherBeyond from the server.
Reason: Multikeying over 200 rounds using the accounts Turboslayer and Jack9157. Dishonest in ahelps until towards the end. Please appeal this ban on the forums.
This ban is permanent. The round ID is 163248.

Time ban was placed: Try to get this from the server when you get the ban reason. If it was a note, the note has a timestamp. If it was a server ban, it will also have a timestamp. Both of these times are in UTC.

2021 5-31 16:09:30

Server you were playing on when banned: Terry

Round ID in which ban was placed: The round ID is 163248.

Your side of the story: BrotherBeyond bwoinked me on Byond asking if I had previously played on alternate accounts. He listed two: Cubbie, and Jack9167 (initially). Cubbie I remembered because it was my ex-girlfriend who I had tried to get into space station for a while (if you look at her scrubby you can see that didn't really go great). I actually can't recall the date when we played, since it isn't even listed on Scrubby, but if I had to guess it must have been 2018. This was kosher, I think -- I was just showing them how to learn the basic game mechanics with metacomms. Our only engagement in the round was me trying to save her from gorillas that swarmed her.

The second account is a bit foggy in my memory since this was a few years ago back when I didn't play the insane amount I do now. The account (Jack9157) had around 170 rounds, almost all if not all of which were another account I had used beforehand to look at the round and see if I wanted to join with my main account based on how events were going on. This began and ended throughout August 2020 (that is: around 10 months ago this incident happened). It goes without saying this this is clearly against the rules and I did not have my head on straight during that period almost a year ago.

The third account he listed (or second, since the first wasn't really an account being used in a bad way), was "Turboslayer." He was activate for about a month (3-15-2021 to 4-12 2021). That said I only clocked 24 hrs with this account. My current account, SinfulBliss, which has been around through all of this, clocked most of its playtime after all these incidents. If you check the scrubby, it was likely 50 days of completely clean play under SinfulBliss (the most recently!) since the mistakes I made months or even years ago. 50 days of clean play (and by 50 days, I mean 50 days STRAIGHT GAMING, not just a game every day for 50 days... 24 X 50). I think that ought to greatly outweigh the fuckups I made involving a lot less playtime spent fucking up. Especially when ya consider the improvement factor.

EDIT: One thing to add. I will admit I was not completely honest in the ahelps because I was honestly pulling an all-nighter, drained and just not being as thorough and thoughtful as I should have. I also really, really didn't want to have to leave my friends. Hopefully this transparent post makes up for it.

Why you think you should be unbanned: Why should you get this opportunity to return, what value do you bring back to the community? Was your ban unfair? Justify it.

The ban is not unfair, first of all. It is standard practice. But I believe the context here should be considered. I try my absolute hardest to make sure I'm doing my job the best way I know how to do that (usually that's as HoS). And, I'm not sure if this makes me look good or bad, but the real reason I dropped the whole spectator-account was because it was just too much of a pain in the ass. The ping was absolutely horrendous and crashed the PC multiple times. I actually switched to playing completely clean because of how unbearably difficult it was to play with two games at the same time. Not a noble reason, I know. But now that I feel more integrated with the community and have made people I call friends, I'd feel ashamed doing something like this again.

But apart from that, I really have started to consider Sybil my home where my friends are that I hang out with, and I just want to go back and game with them. I don't believe being banned will solve anything because I am now completely disinterested in both the way I played, the vibe I gave off, and the entire general attitude I took towards SS13. It was my first roleplaying game and I learned as I went. I think I learned a few months ago the proper way to handle it and I hope I continue to get better at it (especially the RP). But really this is just me hoping the admins let me play again, cause it's gonna be a real bummer if I can't. I wish there were like, a lethal chem implant for this kind of thing but sadly there's not.

The next best thing I can offer is, since I now record practically every round anyways, I could just continue to record. If anyone has a problem I'll just upload the vid right away. I've done this a few times in the past to settle adminhelps.

References of good conduct:
"I don't expect you to play on beestation and get a reference or whatever since I don't believe that's necessary here."

Tl;dr: I did some stupid shit in the past but after an added 1200+ hours playtime AFTER my initial violation, with no reports of similar misconduct, I think there's great support for the fact that I'll continue to add value to the community upon my return.
BrotherBeyond
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: BrotherBeyond

Re: [SinfulBliss] BrotherBeyond - Permaban

Post by BrotherBeyond » #601671

Hiya! Thanks for appealing the ban.

Firstly I'd like to state my reasons for the length of this ban.

In total, 224 rounds were played on the two alt accounts listed (TurboSlayer and Jack9157).
These rounds were between 2020-07-28 to 2020-09-08 for Jack9157 and 2021-03-15 to 2021-04-12 for TurboSlayer. The last instance of using these accounts to gain metainfo was less than two months ago on 2021-04-12. This was not something that occurred years ago - it's quite recent.
Each time you connected with either account you had not only a VPN on but it was also on another device. This was to attempt to avoid detection by admins as you knew it was against the rules.
For the most part, they appear to have been used to either see what antags are about so you can decide to join or not, or to just observe the round whilst still playing.

I had noticed the account TurboSlayer a couple months back and watched the account. After you were placed into cryo (mid round), the observer suddenly became active; switching between different players in what I can guess to be trying to gain any information whilst you were busy healing. I didn't think much of it since I didn't have any proof or much information on it and left it at that (plus it was just before I had to take a break).
When I was log diving more recently, I had noticed one instance where you were a research director in the same round as Jack9157 (I believe, might have been TurboSlayer). The alt account began having activity whilst you were still alive and due to the fact that you were busy observing and gaining info on other players midround, your research director had ran out of oxygen since he had his emergency oxygen tank active and suffocated and you hadn't noticed.

These accounts to me appear to not have just been used to see if the round is worth playing but to actively metagame and effectively cheat.

After I had spent a while log diving and making sure I was certain that you had indeed multikeyed, I bwoinked you the day before the ban simply asking if you had any other accounts. I even brought up the names but you had stated. -

"I don't recall the Jack one." and "I don't recall that one either, but yeah I'll be sure to stick to this account. I haven't used anything but this one since I've come back a few months ago." (When asked about TurboSlayer).

I had left it there for the time being since I wasn't completely certain that you were indeed the owners of these accounts.
The next day I had bwoinked you again, this time knowing for almost certain you had multikeyed.
At this point your excuses were. -

"It was probably a mistake having my friend play a round at the same time as me." and "...would get on to observe the round so she could watch me, It was from a VPN, yeah, because we weren't sure it'd work on the same connection."

All responses are either deliberately evasive or clear lies.
At this point I had given you two chances to be honest over two days so I don't believe that tiredness alone would cause you to lie like this. I definitely understand the reluctance to be honest since you enjoy playing on these servers though.
Only after about half an hour of the ticket (ticket went quite slow, which is reasonable) did you finally admit you had multikeyed.
The entire time I had asked you to just be completely honest and you had lied from nearly start to finish.
I wouldn't find it unreasonable to assume that you're, at least partially, sorry you got caught rather than you had done it at all. Had it been a one time thing I'd find it very believable that you regret it but it was on two separate accounts over multiple weeks.

I'd like to make it clear that currently I have no intentions of removing the ban completely even if this appeal is accepted. However I'd like to hear some answers from you (preferably truthful ones!) so if you could reply with the answers to a few I'd appreciate it.

1 - What were you doing on the account Jack9157?

2 - What were you doing on the account TurboSlayer?

3 - Why did you decide to make another account and multikey again after you had abandoned Jack9157 (since you forgot your VPN on your last connection)?

4 - Did you use information gained from the alt accounts midround?

5 - Did you use the accounts (specifically TurboSlayer) midround to observe whilst you were still alive on your main account?

I'd like to also make it very clear that I understand the significant amount of hours you've put into this server since you've done this. For the reply though, I'd appreciate just clear answers rather than apology.
Do also add any more information if you believe that it will help in any way.
sinfulbliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #601691

Just a couple things I want to clarify first before I get to your questions:

"These rounds were between 2020-07-28 to 2020-09-08 for Jack9157 and 2021-03-15 to 2021-04-12 for TurboSlayer. The last instance of using these accounts to gain metainfo was less than two months ago on 2021-04-12. This was not something that occurred years ago - it's quite recent."

TurboSlayer was recent (2021-03-15 to 2021-04-12) and had 54 rounds. Jack9157 had 170 rounds. The latter was used nearly a year ago. I just want to make it clear that the majority of the multikeying occurred a long while back. That's probably a moot point but I just wanted to clarify that I didn't metacom 224 rounds last month.

"I wouldn't find it unreasonable to assume that you're, at least partially, sorry you got caught rather than you had done it at all. Had it been a one time thing I'd find it very believable that you regret it but it was on two separate accounts over multiple weeks."

I'll be completely honest with my thought-process during the bwoink. When you asked me about the Jack account, I legitimately did not recall the account. It was a random name I made nearly a year ago. That is not in any way to take away from the fact that it was used to violate the rules and observe in-game -- but I really did not recall the name. When you asked me about TurboSlayer, I will be completely honest with you and say I did remember it and I was sorry I got caught. Because I had no intention of using it again and was happy playing fairly as I had been for hundreds of rounds, I really just wanted it never to resurface. I played worse when I observed with that account, I had come to find out, because as it turned out observing the round at 2000ms on a VM and running out of O2 on the other account wasn't a great strategy. Like an idiot (and also pretty tired) I lied about my knowledge of this past account hoping it'd go away instead of coming clean, and I'm sorry for that.

Back when I used TurboSlayer and Jack9157, I was not integrated with the community. I didn't really bother making friends IC. I didn't understand the point of the game. So you are correct when you say I didn't regret it, at the time. But after literally hundreds of rounds and hundreds of hours, I feel connected to the community, and I would regret betraying them all. I'm not expressing myself well I think - but my point is that now that I'm more mature in my understanding of the game, cheating would feel like a sort of betrayal, whereas it didn't before. It's still wrong either way, to be sure - but hopefully this sheds light on the thought process.

For the questions:

1. Observing the round while playing with my original account in order to gain metaknowledge.

2. Observing the round while playing with my original account in order to gain metaknowledge.

3. I took a break from SS13 entirely after I stopped using Jack9157. When I came back, I just started doing the same bullshit again with TurboSlayer. I'm not 100% sure why I made the new account -- either to better evade detection or just because I forgot the password of the old one.

4. I can't recall any specific scenarios or rounds, but I am undoubtedly sure that observing with these accounts gave me knowledge I shouldn't have had and gave me an in-game advantage while playing with my main account.

5. Yes.

I also want to include two images to put into context that my past behavior with multikeying was and is past behavior, and is not in any way representative of how I play this game. I'm not someone who got caught multikeying and now can't be trusted to play legitimately again - I'm someone who used to multikey, then played cleanly for hundreds of hours and rounds, and then got caught having multikeyed in the past.

Image <-- main acc
Image <-- multikey

I hope I have offered both practical reasons and moral reasons why I wouldn't consider doing it again, but more than that I hope the fact that I haven't done it since will weigh in your decision with the ban. Someone on the Discord mentioned it as "224 poisoned rounds," and honestly, it makes me feel really shitty when I think of it that way. Because those rounds several months ago were in a way poisoned, and people likely got roundended or affected in some negative way due to my behavior. I understand if I need to eat a ban as punishment for that, even if it was in the past.
BrotherBeyond
In-Game Admin

Post by BrotherBeyond » #601702

Thanks again for replying and answering the questions!

I'd like to make it clear from the start that this appeal will be denied. However, unlike most denied perma ban appeals, you may appeal again in two months rather than the full twelve.

There was a seven month gap between TurboSlayer and Jack9157 and it's not even been two months since you had last multikeyed. Yes, in comparison to Jack9157, TurboSlayer had very few rounds multikeyed. However, it'd be reasonable to apply a permanent ban to any other person who has ruined rounds for over 50 rounds (54 on TurboSlayer) and yet it is not your first time doing so.
You had lied in the first ticket and lied in the second. You nearly made me doubt that you had done it until right at the end you admitted to doing it.
However, due to your honesty now, I'm happy for you to appeal this ban again in two months time where it may be reduced or removed entirely.
If you do appeal again and are unbanned, I'd like to say that any similar behaviour will result in a permanent ban - though I reckon you've already gathered that.

Though I have said that you don't need a reference (and I stand by that), I suggest playing on Beestation or any other server whilst waiting to appeal the ban.
In your next appeal I'm not looking for any revelations that'd suddenly make me decide to unban you there and then, I just believe that you need a break from TGstation after using meta information in so many rounds.

Many people were shocked when they heard you had done this which, to me, is mostly a sign that you are a good player (minus the yknow, multikeying part). Please do appeal when you are able to and good luck with everything.

I believe now this appeal will stay open for a little bit in case you have any replies or the headmins which to have an input.
sinfulbliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #601722

That's fair, considering you are well within your rights to hand out a perma. I do have one request before this appeal is closed -- is it possible to allow me to observe games still (ghostroles banned of course)? It would be nice to be able to keep up with the playerbase of TG in some fashion and it would make it easier to stay connected to the community while waiting out the 2 months.
BrotherBeyond
In-Game Admin

Post by BrotherBeyond » #601815

Whilst I definitely get where you are coming from, an ingame ban is meant to block you from the game entirely so it will remain. I recommend being active in the various discord servers there are for TGStation if you wish to keep in touch.
sinfulbliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #601821

All good. To be honest, 15 rounds a day isn't healthy and this is probably a blessing in disguise. I'll take it as a b-day gift from the big guy upstairs. No ill-will toward you at all man, and I hope to see everyone again in 2 months.