PDA bombs blowing off 3/4 limbs

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

PDA bombs blowing off 3/4 limbs

Post by Helios » #603604

Whenever a PDA bomb goes off in my department, someone loses most of their limbs. I find this to be a bit excessive myself, as not only do they end up dead, it's a lot of work to bring them back to life.
Was this change even intentional, or a result of changing how explosion damage is calculated?
Jonathan Gupta
Byond Username: BallastMonsterGnarGnar

Re: PDA bombs blowing off 3/4 limbs

Post by Jonathan Gupta » #603612

Helios wrote:Whenever a PDA bomb goes off in my department, someone loses most of their limbs. I find this to be a bit excessive myself, as not only do they end up dead, it's a lot of work to bring them back to life.
Was this change even intentional, or a result of changing how explosion damage is calculated?
shoulda kept the godamn cloner.
Living God

Extraordinary Person

Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #603613

Adding another "uh what's up with that" because those things are insanely lethal now. If it can't be toned down it should probably cost more TC, maybe.
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #603616

They used to not kill at all from what I remember, just blow off two limbs.

Did all the explosion nerfs end up buffing the smaller ones into negatives?
► Show Spoiler
ArcaneDefence
Byond Username: ArcaneDefence

Post by ArcaneDefence » #603619

https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/59662
There's been some changes to explosions beforehand, and things like fireball/fire breath have been basically nuggeting people for a while now, yeah.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #603896

As a plasmaman player, PDA bombs are the bane of my existence. Getting an arm blown off means you burn to death cuz you can't wear gloves. Even if someone drags your body to medbay, you will be constantly burning and accumulated shitloads of damage, your bony purple arm is super hard to see so no one will fetch it, and medical players are generally dentskulled and won't realize how to reattach your arm, put your gloves on, and revive you. An instant essentially round removal tator item that the only way to defend against is to metagame roundstart by disabling your PDA messenger is bigly cringe.
Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #608773

It was fixed for a while but it's happening again.
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #608775

While it's cringe I do kind of find it funny that there are enough people who dislike me in particular that I get pdabombed to death roundstart literally every single round I'm Captain without fail.

I'm not even complaining all static names deserve pain including me
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Flatulent
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: FlatulentIndustrialist

Post by Flatulent » #608820

do you ever read “phone bad” memes with very deep meaning? This is basically it but the phone is PDA messaging. Countering pdabombs is easy and if you don’t do it, that’s on you.

in other words, take a ticket for “book”, and turn off pda messaging

pda bombs needed a rework so lets consider this unintentional bug to be the rework we need but dont deserve
Mothblocks, winter 2020, “successfully” preventing bagil death with relevant data wrote:You seem to be under the fallacy that reinforcing that Bagil is a TDM shithole where you must carry bolas and spears on you at all times, while looking for the next valid to hunt down is a positive change to the server. I don't. The data suggests other people don't.
imsxz wrote:I give up there’s too many furries
cacogen wrote:i asked oranges how often he plays and he deleted the post
cybersaber101 wrote:Welp, you guys let a terrymin become a headmin, thousand years of darkness.
Vekter wrote:I jerk off Nist a bit too much but he's honestly one of the best silicon players on the server. B.O.R.G.O. is also pretty good.
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Post by Mothblocks » #608844

make pda bombs headset based
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Timberpoes

Post by Timberpoes » #608845

Jaredfogle wrote:make pda bombs headset based
I have a branch for this that I've never finished work on. They exploded all the headsets of a single department, with the Captain's headsets being protected from this.

Was going for this effect:

/tg/station Codebase Maintainer
/tg/station Game Master/Discord Jannie: Feed me back in my thread.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Feb 2022-Sep 2022 Host Vote Headmin
Mar 2023-Sep 2023 Admin Vote Headmin
EuSouAFazenda
Byond Username: EuSouAFazenda

Post by EuSouAFazenda » #608886

Flatulent wrote:do you ever read “phone bad” memes with very deep meaning? This is basically it but the phone is PDA messaging. Countering pdabombs is easy and if you don’t do it, that’s on you.

pda bombs needed a rework so lets consider this unintentional bug to be the rework we need but dont deserve

Isn't it metagaming to disable your PDA before PDA bombs are confirmed or even mentioned in the chat?

Also, some Quartermasters WILL order your head on a stake if you disable your PDA before buying a goodie if there's no PDA bombings that round.
Source: I am that Quartermaster.
I remade the beach away mission
Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #608891

EuSouAFazenda wrote: Isn't it metagaming to disable your PDA before PDA bombs are confirmed or even mentioned in the chat?
Tons of powergamers do it and nobody gets punished for it, so... I guess not? It's kind of like getting a crowbar on IceBox so that you don't spend 30 minutes trapped when the air inevitably gets fucked, maybe?
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #608893

Think of it this way, it's like keeping your phone on silent so you don't get annoying spam calls and texts from lawyers. Just wholesome RP.
Spoiler:
Flatulent
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: FlatulentIndustrialist

Post by Flatulent » #608907

EuSouAFazenda wrote:
Flatulent wrote:do you ever read “phone bad” memes with very deep meaning? This is basically it but the phone is PDA messaging. Countering pdabombs is easy and if you don’t do it, that’s on you.

Isn't it metagaming to disable your PDA before PDA bombs are confirmed or even mentioned in the chat?

Also, some Quartermasters WILL order your head on a stake if you disable your PDA before buying a goodie if there's no PDA bombings that round.
Source: I am that Quartermaster.
i block sms and calls from everyone i dont know irl so its perfectly rp
also how the fuck is this metagaming again
Mothblocks, winter 2020, “successfully” preventing bagil death with relevant data wrote:You seem to be under the fallacy that reinforcing that Bagil is a TDM shithole where you must carry bolas and spears on you at all times, while looking for the next valid to hunt down is a positive change to the server. I don't. The data suggests other people don't.
imsxz wrote:I give up there’s too many furries
cacogen wrote:i asked oranges how often he plays and he deleted the post
cybersaber101 wrote:Welp, you guys let a terrymin become a headmin, thousand years of darkness.
Vekter wrote:I jerk off Nist a bit too much but he's honestly one of the best silicon players on the server. B.O.R.G.O. is also pretty good.
terranaut
Byond Username: Terranaut

Post by terranaut » #609001

Stickymayhem wrote:I get pdabombed to death roundstart literally every single round I'm Captain without fail.
The captain cartridge has a much higher resist rate to being bombed though.
[🅲 1] [🆄 1] [🅼 1]

NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #609048

This probably means C4 is especially good for the same reasons. It's already pretty capable of delimbing, and there are some ways to weaponize it.

On topic, I already think PDA bombs are very strong even if they're not delimbing people (and they always could delimb people, but they were entirely RNG, and you could in theory luck out and mostly be knocked onto the floor). They render you pretty helpless out of the blue, while also blinding you for several seconds and dropping your health usually below half, and the only protections are either being a syndicate member with the PDA uplink (but no other uplink type), being the captain (their PDA cartridge/PDA is PDA proof), or pre-emptively ditching/switching off your PDA which is a mostly safe move. The downsides (missing out on PDA messages) are pretty minor compared to the benefits (literally avoiding sudden death with no reliable tell or warning).

If PDA bombs targeted headsets, they'd be even more toxic than they are already, and make it far too easy to murder people because they're gear destroying limitless range stuns that need only input from the user but undermined by pre-emptive measures from the victim. They're largely noninteractive, basically, and their only true drawback functionally outside of people tossing their gear is the clunky UI implementation preventing them from being reasonably used in combat without pre-planning.

For reference, I know PDA bombs are utilized for speedrunning mass murder and killing targets. A few people I'm aware of employ this tactic often to extremely reliable success, because very few people ditch their PDAs within the first couple of minutes into a round.
Noodlecat
Byond Username: Noodlecat

Post by Noodlecat » #609148

I hate PDA bombs, if we removed Nantes for “not having any gameplay, just outcomes” then pda bombs need out too, nanites had infinitely more gameplay then pda bombs, I hate meta gaming and I rarely ever do it, this being the one exception nothing beats(other then n20 instant knockout, seriously just make it do stamina until knockout coders please) loosing your ID and potentially being round removed because I did not turn suit sensors on at roundstart and was in space setting up solars. I always turn messaging off, loosing your ID, dieing, becoming deaf for 15 minutes, having to bring your limbs back to medbay, and having to get a new ID is not fun for anyone. Nobody would miss them if they were removed.
Agux909
Byond Username: Agux909

Post by Agux909 » #609151

Timberpoes wrote:
Jaredfogle wrote:make pda bombs headset based
I have a branch for this that I've never finished work on. They exploded all the headsets of a single department, with the Captain's headsets being protected from this.

Was going for this effect:

This is interesting.

sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #609156

It might be a good move to shove your PDA in your box and keep your ID on, so you can still send/receive messages and if you're PDA bombed it doesn't destroy your ID. Losing your ID is probably the worst part about getting bombed because it's usually a massive pain to get a new one, especially with no HoP.
Spoiler:
Noodlecat

Post by Noodlecat » #609170

Said this once and I will say it again, pda bombs are cancer and deserve to be metagamed into oblivion.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #609221

The rulings on metagaming are so arbitrary. I remember years ago I got banned because I depowered the AI core doors after bolting them because everyone knows every syndi bot just waltzes in without resistence otherwise (also the precedent is still mentioned, lol). Yet preventing another syndi tool from blowing up your limbs isn't metagaming?
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #609225

Noodlecat wrote:if we removed Nantes for “not having any gameplay, just outcomes” then pda bombs need out too
we didn't this is just empty rhetoric
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

technokek
Byond Username: Technokek

Post by technokek » #609236

Last edited by technokek on Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #609245

technokek wrote:
CPTANT wrote:The rulings on metagaming are so arbitrary. I remember years ago I got banned because I depowered the AI core doors after bolting them because everyone knows every syndi bot just waltzes in without resistence otherwise (also the precedent is still mentioned, lol). Yet preventing another syndi tool from blowing up your limbs isn't metagaming?
The AI rules explicitly state that you are not allowed to do this. Why are you surprised?
Because that was explicitly added to the rules after I did it?

But what is the fundamental difference with turning off your PDA roundstart?
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Noodlecat

Post by Noodlecat » #609281

Every fundamental issue with nanites mentioned in https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/60473 is also the case with pda bombs, if not more, nanites had to be made and programmed, pda bombs are just a one click potential round remove and painful 30 minutes of your life that you never get back, and the only way to fight back is to metagame. You have no time to turn pda messaging off after the first bombs go off, and the explosion is instant, so unless you are the captain you have no counter.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #611307

I support a nerf last week it literally put me into hardcrit (I dont think I was at full hp but fairly close with no wounds) from one.

actually awful because if I was the first person to be bombed I literally couldnt do the only non-powergame counter which is tell other people about it.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Agux909

Post by Agux909 » #611309

I don't get it they didn't delimb you before, why were they buffed at all? Just revert them back to normal?

Mothblocks
Code Maintainer

Post by Mothblocks » #611313

Because it wasn't buffed intentionally, over the years we've had several explosion refactors and tweaks that ended up increasing its strength.
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.

Anuv
Byond Username: Anuv

Post by Anuv » #611314

EuSouAFazenda wrote:Isn't it metagaming to disable your PDA before PDA bombs are confirmed or even mentioned in the chat?
yes and lots of people do it. you shouldn't be able to disable getting PDA'd bombed like that especially roundstart. so stupid.
Agux909

Post by Agux909 » #611338

Jaredfogle wrote:Because it wasn't buffed intentionally, over the years we've had several explosion refactors and tweaks that ended up increasing its strength.
Ah, makes sense. But you can't keep a straight face and tell me they aren't dumb af as they are now right? I mean, they used to barely hurt you, they were sort of like a surprise flashbang to incapacitate people and then take them down or cause some confusion, not to death note them.
Anuv wrote:
EuSouAFazenda wrote:Isn't it metagaming to disable your PDA before PDA bombs are confirmed or even mentioned in the chat?
yes and lots of people do it. you shouldn't be able to disable getting PDA'd bombed like that especially roundstart. so stupid.
You can always say you just wanted to be left alone, it's literally a sandbox choice. I don't know if you're implying there should be a code or a policy against it, but if that's done people will just start ditching their PDAs roundstart.

Just think it this way, if the bombs were reverted back to how they were, then there would be less incentive to turn off PDAs.

Right now the incentive/risk is high enough to want to keep it off always. Noone wants to get off the shuttle on their way to the bar and suddenly find themselves deaf and like a nugget, dying slowly and in the hands of whatever medbay staff is present that shift.

From the moment you don't turn your PDA off you're enabling tots to remove you from the round without any risk for them

Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #611352

It's even worse when detomatix is on discount and someone's like "EIGHT explosions? TWELVE explosions?"
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer

Post by Mothblocks » #611359

Ah, makes sense. But you can't keep a straight face and tell me they aren't dumb af as they are now right? I mean, they used to barely hurt you,
Sure, that's why I prefer Timber's rework since it won't have any potential to drift into being broken like PDA bombs are now, as well as not being as easily metagamable.

Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #611373

In before everyone rolling traitor sets headset uplinks for immunity

(Also, what does Timber's rework use as a targeting system? The encryption keys?)
Sparkezel
Byond Username: SparkezelPL

Post by Sparkezel » #611398

Hey guys do you remember that one PR from TemporalOuroboros where dude played with the bomb code where he made the atmos bombs not explode because they qdeleted themselves before they even exploded? The PDA bomb bug was from the same fucking PR and its fixed already.

PR in question: https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/58015
Istoprocent1
Byond Username: istoprocent

Post by Istoprocent1 » #615648

A potential fix could be - PDA bombs ignoring PDA messaging settings and doing a bit less damage rather than instantly KO. If the bombs are moved into headsets the new meta will most likely be station bound radios.

In the lights of this thread, its funny how people are up and arms against PDA bombs which anybody can protect themselves against by turning off the messaging, yet easily accessible roundenders like flashes go unnerfed for years with people saying things like "just get eye protection/good lol". :roll:

As I have said before - forcing a certain kind of gameplay (ie. having to turn off pda to not get blown up, having to rush the limited number of sunglasses to not get instantly wrecked) is always bad and should be fixed with code.
Noodlecat

Post by Noodlecat » #615680

Having a flash can be countered by facing away from the person with the flash, and taking out a flash makes a distinct sound, while pda bombs are instant and uncounterable(without just turning pda messaging off)
Istoprocent1
Byond Username: istoprocent

Post by Istoprocent1 » #615685

Noodlecat wrote:Having a flash can be countered by facing away from the person with the flash, and taking out a flash makes a distinct sound, while pda bombs are instant and uncounterable(without just turning pda messaging off)
Thank you for proving my point. :)
Cosmodeus
Byond Username: Cosmodeus

Post by Cosmodeus » #617414

I always keep my PDA messaging off. If you get your limbs blown off from a PDA bomb, then ask yourself this question. Why couldn't you just speak over another channel or go meet somewhere and speak? Having all your limbs removed since you're not capable of using them to walk down the hall to talk to your friend seems like a good avoidable and optional punishment for someone willing to subscribe to. Maybe instead, you should just have PDA messages off by default. Most players should be using computer chat rooms anyway which are better than the PDA messaging.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #617893

Having to turn off PDA messaging roundstart to avoid exploding is pretty dumb. PDA bombs should just give you some time to react instead. What would be more interesting though is if you had to trick people into opening a message for them to explode. You'd get a certain amount of characters preview and then opening the rest of the message would trigger the explosion. That way, it would reward creative bait and be avoidable by people alert to this. You could even add the ability to send credits via attachment, or virus samples, or whatever, to sweeten the deal. I'm assuming real-life mail bombers like Ted K did not have to tantalise people to get them to open their packages but I think it would be interesting here.
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW: