New Allowance to the In-Game Word Filter

RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: RaveRadbury
Github Username: RaveRadbury

New Allowance to the In-Game Word Filter

Post by RaveRadbury » #615718

Bottom post of the previous page:

After discussion with the host, MSO has allowed for "nigger" to be added to the in-game word filter. An examination of its use in the community has found that most uses of it are OOC, and the signal-to-noise level of usage on both the OOC metric and the racist metric is poor enough to not warrant caring about the edge cases. If added, messages containing it will be rejected just like with other filtered words.

Since the creation of Rule 11 there have been many conversations about how adding slurs to the filter was not possible because it did not fit with the host's vision of avoiding the creation of a banned word list.

As the community has not been able to discuss this possibility in earnest we would prefer having a period of open discussion before deciding to act on it.

Please share your thoughts about this opportunity.
bastardblaster
Byond Username: BastardBlaster

Re: New Allowance to the In-Game Word Filter

Post by bastardblaster » #616390

Kryson wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:27 am Wait, wasn't this you explicitly ran on NOT doing?
>Expecting headmins to keep campaign promises

Jonathan Gupta
Byond Username: BallastMonsterGnarGnar

Post by Jonathan Gupta » #616392

Kryson wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:27 am Wait, wasn't this you explicitly ran on NOT doing?
Yeah, we are all disappointed in them in some way or some form.

The way you gotta deal with it is to keep it bottled inside until the end of your life(My grandfather did this and it encouraged his alcoholism, please don't bottle your feelings if you want to release them do it with a friend who you trust.)
Living God

Extraordinary Person

Jonathan Gupta

Post by Jonathan Gupta » #616405

looking at "Don't straight up ban the word" makes ya look in a different light though.
Living God

Extraordinary Person

Flatulent
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: FlatulentIndustrialist

Post by Flatulent » #616407

damn it looks like I was always correct about rave after all

who could have possibly seen that one coming
oh right, me
Mothblocks, winter 2020, “successfully” preventing bagil death with relevant data wrote:You seem to be under the fallacy that reinforcing that Bagil is a TDM shithole where you must carry bolas and spears on you at all times, while looking for the next valid to hunt down is a positive change to the server. I don't. The data suggests other people don't.
imsxz wrote:I give up there’s too many furries
cacogen wrote:i asked oranges how often he plays and he deleted the post
cybersaber101 wrote:Welp, you guys let a terrymin become a headmin, thousand years of darkness.
Vekter wrote:I jerk off Nist a bit too much but he's honestly one of the best silicon players on the server. B.O.R.G.O. is also pretty good.
Jonathan Gupta

Post by Jonathan Gupta » #616408

Flatulent wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:17 am damn it looks like I was always correct about rave after all

who could have possibly seen that one coming
oh right, me
Attachments
You are indeed correct
You are indeed correct
Living God

Extraordinary Person

Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #616416

Stickymayhem wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:41 pm
Istoprocent1 wrote:Why not have a corrective filter for words and/or phrases that are deemed to be not suitable rather than the message just not going through?

Somebody says: "X is such a [insert gamerword]" and the filter would change the message to "X is such a [insert randomized palatable replacement word]".
changing the n-word into "puppies" would just turn puppies into a dogwhistle instantly
Exactly this happened on something awful way back in the day, it was temporarily filtered to "grandma" and what happened is people started saying grandma instead even after the filter was turned off
Rohen_Tahir
Byond Username: Rohen Tahir

Post by Rohen_Tahir » #616427

Screemonster wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:16 am
Stickymayhem wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:41 pm
Istoprocent1 wrote:Why not have a corrective filter for words and/or phrases that are deemed to be not suitable rather than the message just not going through?

Somebody says: "X is such a [insert gamerword]" and the filter would change the message to "X is such a [insert randomized palatable replacement word]".
changing the n-word into "puppies" would just turn puppies into a dogwhistle instantly
Exactly this happened on something awful way back in the day, it was temporarily filtered to "grandma" and what happened is people started saying grandma instead even after the filter was turned off
If the word is randomized this problem does not occur.
Denton
Byond Username: Denton-30
Github Username: 81Denton

Post by Denton » #616436

Campaign promises only exist to get people elected
remanseptim
Byond Username: Remanseptim

Post by remanseptim » #616437

this change tr(n)iggers me
Timonk
Byond Username: Timonk

Post by Timonk » #616440

literally 1984
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
In short, this appeal is denied. Suck my nuts retard.
Quoting a legend, at least im not a faggot lol
See you in 12 months unless you blacklist me for this
Timberpoes wrote: I'm going to admin timonk [...]. Fuck it, he's also now my second host vote if goof rejects.
pikeyeskey13 wrote: ok don't forget to shove it up your ass lmao oops u can delete this one I just wanted to make sure it went through
Agux909 wrote:
Timonk wrote:This is why we make fun of Manuel
Woah bravo there sir, post of the month you saved the thread. I feel overwhelmed by the echo of unlimited wisdom and usefulness sprouting from you post. Every Manuel player now feels embarrased to exist because of your much NEEDED wise words, you sure teached'em all, you genius, IQ lord.

The hut has perished at my hands.

The pink arrow is always right.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #616443

listen guys if you really want to say the nigger word in IC just vote for whoever campaigns on letting you say it next election lol
Last edited by RaveRadbury on Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited to remove response to deleted post.
Flatulent
Forum Soft Banned

Post by Flatulent » #616452

I fail to see the point of this thread because this was already decided by these headmins years ago and nothing is going to revert this decision unless players magically get two headmins instead of just one, as admin and previous headmins (reflected in their chosen headmins again and again) vote for status quo/more crackdown on this particular issue every time

There will be zero difference if this thread gets overwhelmed with shitposts or actual feedback as there is only one conclusion to this story: headmins will not back down over this. I can only wonder why they decided to announce this change here instead of auditorium with closed comments.

I have absolutely zero stake in this, it’s msos server, not mine, but I don’t understand why every fart has to be discussed like we’re still pretending players have any amount of say in this. We know what people voted for. They voted for a candidate who said that this would never be implemented. Now that he is finally revealed as a fucking liar, what is the point of discussing this? Why are any of you here? What do you hope to accomplish? It’s obvious why I am here, because I am a doomsday prophet whose prophecy is coming true. But why do you still have these threads where same people use the same points against the same policy of crackdown on hurty words, over and over again?
Mothblocks, winter 2020, “successfully” preventing bagil death with relevant data wrote:You seem to be under the fallacy that reinforcing that Bagil is a TDM shithole where you must carry bolas and spears on you at all times, while looking for the next valid to hunt down is a positive change to the server. I don't. The data suggests other people don't.
cybersaber101 wrote:Welp, you guys let a terrymin become a headmin, thousand years of darkness.
Vekter wrote:I jerk off Nist a bit too much but he's honestly one of the best silicon players on the server. B.O.R.G.O. is also pretty good.
Flatulent
Forum Soft Banned

Post by Flatulent » #616463

Also it’s even funnier when you consider that if Rave was actually honest about his intentions he could have lost the elections to Kieth as the gap was extremely small.
Bytube
Github User
Byond Username: Bytube
Github Username: Bytube

Post by Bytube » #616488

I'm really disappointed there's people unironically defending racism here. Nice going dentheads
world famous lizard lawyer
NoxVS
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NoxVS

Post by NoxVS » #616516

Can anyone against this share how not having this filter benefits the server? How is the server as a whole better off without it.
The weak should fear the strong
thehogshotgun wrote:How does having jannies like you, who have more brain tumor than brain benefit the server
actioninja
Byond Username: Actioninja

Post by actioninja » #616519

>Candidate days they don't intended to mass purge anyone they consider to be a bigot and/or ban just for usage of anything considered to be a slur
>Wins election
>Adds a word that is considered to always be OOC and therefore violating rule 11 to the IC filter so that players don't get put into a situation where they do something always considered a rulebreak

NINETEEN
EIGHTY
FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUR
Boot
Byond Username: B00t

Post by Boot » #616528

Here's what I don't understand, what is the logic behind this and not just adding in every no no word.

Why is calling someone a faggot gonna get you in trouble but saying "what are you faggots playing" not? From my understanding it is the context that matters then why shouldn't nigger be treated the same? What makes it so special that it renders all context moot?
Image Image
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #616529

NoxVS wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:45 pm Can anyone against this share how not having this filter benefits the server? How is the server as a whole better off without it.
one could make the argument that allowing someone to demonstrate how uncreative and smelly they are is a benefit rather than them being unable to wear their stinkiness on their sleeve and slip under the radar until they make a BIG STINKY
Omega_DarkPotato
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Omega_DarkPotato

Post by Omega_DarkPotato » #616535

Super Aggro Crag wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:06 am
NoxVS wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:45 pm Can anyone against this share how not having this filter benefits the server? How is the server as a whole better off without it.
one could make the argument that allowing someone to demonstrate how uncreative and smelly they are is a benefit rather than them being unable to wear their stinkiness on their sleeve and slip under the radar until they make a BIG STINKY
The commonly stated counterargument to this is that we're not in the business of trying to "catch people" via text and this is rather just stopping something that's never going to be IC/not rule 11

but MY take on this being a good thing is that perhaps by enforcing through this filter the fact that you simply can't say it IC people will understand better that that sort of attitude and method of treating other people isn't acceptable here, thus dissuading them from making a BIG STINKY in the future.
plus it helps for when people just aren't watching/there's nobody on to watch. Arguing to keep the ability to say the n word icly in to catch the hypothetical stealth nazi who will otherwise be formed seems a little reaching.
Super Aggro Crag wrote:This is what u get when u let people into your community
play opus: echo of starsong
I'm an admin, typically on /tg/station Sybil. If you've got anything you'd like to say about me, my adminning, or my decisions, please comment in my admin feedback thread!
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #616540

on the 1 hand: haha you believed them? dumbasses

on the other: its about time.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #616548

Omega_DarkPotato wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:44 am
The commonly stated counterargument to this is that we're not in the business of trying to "catch people" via text and this is rather just stopping something that's never going to be IC/not rule 11

but MY take on this being a good thing is that perhaps by enforcing through this filter the fact that you simply can't say it IC people will understand better that that sort of attitude and method of treating other people isn't acceptable here, thus dissuading them from making a BIG STINKY in the future.
plus it helps for when people just aren't watching/there's nobody on to watch. Arguing to keep the ability to say the n word icly in to catch the hypothetical stealth nazi who will otherwise be formed seems a little reaching.
Peoplle will never be dissuaded from saying no no words by a filter. You can make the argument that its only a word filter because "in da future no one says nigger" but johnny european rolls captain he's going to make assistants pick cotton and whip them with the chain of command and he's gonna say "lmao its not racist i didnt call them a nigger i called them jiggaboos"
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #616549

Super Aggro Crag wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:55 am
Omega_DarkPotato wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:44 am

Peoplle will never be dissuaded from saying no no words by a filter. You can make the argument that its only a word filter because "in da future no one says nigger" but johnny european rolls captain he's going to make assistants pick cotton and whip them with the chain of command and he's gonna say "lmao its not racist i didnt call them a nigger i called them jiggaboos"
yeah but it really removes the "is this racist" part of the equation for all parties, nobody likes being accused of racism and evading past a filter for that kind of gimmick makes it pretty black and white
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #616551

Wow seeing things in black and white now are we armhulenn?

Guess we know who the real racists are now
remanseptim
Byond Username: Remanseptim

Post by remanseptim » #616572

have u considered that it's funny to say
Jonathan Gupta

Post by Jonathan Gupta » #616635

remanseptim wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:52 pm have u considered that it's funny to say
yo this, I find it hella funny.
Living God

Extraordinary Person

Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #616640

Super Aggro Crag wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:45 am Wow seeing things in black and white now are we armhulenn?

Guess we know who the real racists are now
In the modern political landscape, treating people of all races equally is "being colourblind", and is therefore more racist than being racist. If you were a true anti-racist, you would treat some races better than others.

Source: My professors
► Show Spoiler