bar/restaurant tourists feedback

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Qustinnus
Byond Username: Qustinnus

bar/restaurant tourists feedback

Post by Qustinnus » #592938

carshalash
Byond Username: Carshalash

Re: bar/restaurant tourists feedback

Post by carshalash » #592953

I'm seeing something called light beer in the requested drinks section, I'm pretty sure that we don't really have separate light/normal beers.
Kryson
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Kryson

Post by Kryson » #592987

carshalash wrote:I'm seeing something called light beer in the requested drinks section, I'm pretty sure that we don't really have separate light/normal beers.

We do.

/datum/reagent/consumable/ethanol/beer/light

It is pretty rare though, I was SURE it was created by fermenting grass, but turns out you have to rely on random drops. My bad!
Qustinnus

Post by Qustinnus » #593052

yeah I removed it, is it still on the server? if so that means the testmerge didnt update
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #593063

Shame, I was looking forward to trying it. You caught me on a busy day, lad.
► Show Spoiler
Qustinnus

Post by Qustinnus » #593150

no no, i meant i removed the light beer, the testmerge should still be on the server
Domitius
Byond Username: Domitius
Github Username: DomitiusKnack

Post by Domitius » #593191

I feel like the sounds are great but they happen so frequently it's pretty jarring. Having a maximum amount of seats you can place would be really nice to stop people memeing with the seat markers and filling the bar. I've found in personal use over three bartender shifts that 2-3 seats was a good sweet spot.

One of the very common drinks for the italian bot is Branca Manta which requires Fernet, a hacked alcohol from the Booze vendor. While not prohibitively hard to do if you know that it feels bad pausing your work to either scream for somebody to hack your vendor to proceed or to go grab the supplies yourself. Would be nice if it was a lot rarer or removed from the list! Fernet costs 260$ too so it's a steep investment which requires it to be ordered at least 5-6 times before you see any returns from what little fernet is left.

Over all I've been loving it!
Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #593710

Domitius wrote:I feel like the sounds are great but they happen so frequently it's pretty jarring. Having a maximum amount of seats you can place would be really nice to stop people memeing with the seat markers and filling the bar. I've found in personal use over three bartender shifts that 2-3 seats was a good sweet spot.
Yeah, I agree with this sentiment.

Also, given that we don't have incomes anymore, it's nice to know that you have a fairly reliable source of money if you're willing to put in the work. Now, you don't have to feel paranoid that you'll have zero money for the rest of the round if you choose to buy that fancy booze bottle, seed pack, or butcher's cleaver.

I need to spend more time with the bots to articulate more specific feedback, but I'm liking them so far.
► Show Spoiler
carshalash
Byond Username: Carshalash

Post by carshalash » #593716

Some prices are REALLY bad, one of the more annoying ones was champagne just being a 30 when I had to spend over 300 for the bottle.

The fact an assistant smashed the bottle just because also didn't help.
Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #593765

carshalash wrote:Some prices are REALLY bad, one of the more annoying ones was champagne just being a 30 when I had to spend over 300 for the bottle.

Please tell me you shot him
► Show Spoiler
Flatulent
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: FlatulentIndustrialist

Post by Flatulent » #593767

make robots ghost controllable so we can have bar rp
Mothblocks, winter 2020, “successfully” preventing bagil death with relevant data wrote:You seem to be under the fallacy that reinforcing that Bagil is a TDM shithole where you must carry bolas and spears on you at all times, while looking for the next valid to hunt down is a positive change to the server. I don't. The data suggests other people don't.
imsxz wrote:I give up there’s too many furries
cacogen wrote:i asked oranges how often he plays and he deleted the post
cybersaber101 wrote:Welp, you guys let a terrymin become a headmin, thousand years of darkness.
Vekter wrote:I jerk off Nist a bit too much but he's honestly one of the best silicon players on the server. B.O.R.G.O. is also pretty good.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #593772

So overwhelming not knowing the recipes having to wrestle with the wiki (sausage recipe not up to date) and the crafting menu which should highlight recipes you have some ingredients for and often things are categorised in weird places. Not always obvious what to search to get the thing you want up (is it hyphenated, for example?). Then there's the length of time and simple burnout involved in the extra work of not having hydroponics to rely on and having to do it yourself. Stuff takes ages to grow. Something that's a bug I think I noticed is when the robots all leave because you took too long with one order (don't think it should work like that) is that both restaurant portals close. So the bartender who was doing fine with all seats had to open his back up.

I know you aren't responsible for the wiki or the crafting menu, but I think this'd be better if there was a faster way to get ingredients. Like a terminal you could spend money at and have them dropped in like your box is. I know cargo should get a look-in but I don't know how you'd do that if they like hydroponics weren't there or just weren't reliable.

Oh and players who came for food didn't get a look-in because my time and attention was consumed by trying to serve the two robots I'd whittled the seats down to before they left and the work I'd already done was for nothing.
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #593773

cacogen wrote:I know you aren't responsible for the wiki or the crafting menu, but I think this'd be better if there was a faster way to get ingredients. Like a terminal you could spend money at and have them dropped in like your box is. I know cargo should get a look-in but I don't know how you'd do that if they like hydroponics weren't there or just weren't reliable.
As it stands now, any chef player is obligated to be a semi-competent botanist. There's a reason chefs start with access to hydroponics. In theory, you could add a service for buying ingredients, but that seems like it would be a waste, given that there's already an elaborate and fleshed-out system for obtaining ingredients already.
► Show Spoiler
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #593780

Well, regardless of whether it's a waste, based on my experience during one round with no one helping, it's asking too much. Both in terms of multitasking/effort and the time things take to grow. Hydroponics for cooking is simple, but these recipes are involved and time-consuming even with the produce required. I don't find it particularly fun at the moment either. I don't know if you've played it (haven't read the thread) but if you disagree that's fine. It's possible it'll become more bearable the more I do it as I memorise recipes. You can say it's a waste of the system to get produce and other base ingredients dropped in but it doesn't prevent you or other people from doing it, either for cooking or some other purpose. Hydroponics has a lot of applications.

I don't mean to present this as the objectively correct feedback, just what I think based on my experiences playing it for one round.
NSFW:

Qustinnus

Post by Qustinnus » #594019

There was actually already something in the works for this that I requested from Armhulen, the PR for that is open now.

https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/57298

On the note of prices, feel free to open PRs to adjust them, I've had some troubles thinking of the right prices for a lot of things due to me not knowing all of the recipes too well
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #594088

pugie
Byond Username: Doctor Brutality

Post by pugie » #594409

These are pretty goddamn fun, thanks Floyd.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #594421

I think they should only make the sound when they're complaining instead of constantly because I have PTSD now
NSFW:

Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #594424

There should be a slavbot so i can borscht and vodka
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #594497

carshalash wrote:Some prices are REALLY bad, one of the more annoying ones was champagne just being a 30 when I had to spend over 300 for the bottle.

This feels like a good justification to either reduce or completely eliminate booze-o-mat prices for the bartender.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
Kryson
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Kryson

Post by Kryson » #594499

Vekter wrote:

This feels like a good justification to either reduce or completely eliminate booze-o-mat prices for the bartender.

No!

I made champagne expensive for a reason.

It is meant to be a luxury. It won't feel like a luxury if it isn't costing you anything.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #594500

If they're ordering a bottle and paying 10% of what it cost you that's clearly an oversight
NSFW:

Qustinnus

Post by Qustinnus » #594501

The price of champagne should increase when sold to tourists, but keep in mind that you only need to serve 20 units
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #594507

Qustinnus wrote:The price of champagne should increase when sold to tourists, but keep in mind that you only need to serve 20 units
I swear I was getting away with 10, kek
pugie
Byond Username: Doctor Brutality

Post by pugie » #594524

These shouldn't be primary source of big bucks for bartender anyways (they have bounties which pay very well and requires interacting with players to some degree), the robots provide a good distraction when no one is forgetting that they aren't playing on Manuel.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #594661

What I would really like to see in the crafting menu is a category-agnostic search bar which exists in the uplink menu. I hate the crafting menu with a passion because of the visual overwhelm, unintuitive or wrong categorisation and how long the categories are. I use CTRL+F as much as possible but you have to use it for each category and it cares about hyphens and things. The other thing, and I don't want to dilute this request, but that would be useful for cooking in particular I think is for recipes with a partial ingredient match to move to the top.
NSFW:

Mickyan
Github User
Byond Username: Mickyan
Github Username: Mickyan

Post by Mickyan » #594776

The noise and the frequency they spam messages needs a serious toning down, I'm not surprised people keep killing them
ImageI play on Manuel as Swanni, the brain-damaged moth.
Be nice to each other.
gum disease
Byond Username: GUM DISEASE

Post by gum disease » #594822

Cutest PR. I love the robots.
Image no aim, smooth brain, i'm a borg main.
Qustinnus

Post by Qustinnus » #595136

cacogen wrote:What I would really like to see in the crafting menu is a category-agnostic search bar which exists in the uplink menu. I hate the crafting menu with a passion because of the visual overwhelm, unintuitive or wrong categorisation and how long the categories are. I use CTRL+F as much as possible but you have to use it for each category and it cares about hyphens and things. The other thing, and I don't want to dilute this request, but that would be useful for cooking in particular I think is for recipes with a partial ingredient match to move to the top.
this was already being worked on but I'm going to call you a little bitch for pretending your feedback is ignored when every post people have made in this thread has seen a pr to try resolve it.
WineAllWine
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Wineallwine

Post by WineAllWine » #595228

I like this a lot, it's fun.
imo the prices need upping a lot to compete with fulfilling cargo bounties which (at least for the bartender) pay FAR better, but are less fun.

My current gameplay is doing cargo bounties until it gives me a very difficult one, then serving the robo guests while I wait to be able to reroll a cargo bounty
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #596221

Qustinnus wrote:
cacogen wrote:What I would really like to see in the crafting menu is a category-agnostic search bar which exists in the uplink menu. I hate the crafting menu with a passion because of the visual overwhelm, unintuitive or wrong categorisation and how long the categories are. I use CTRL+F as much as possible but you have to use it for each category and it cares about hyphens and things. The other thing, and I don't want to dilute this request, but that would be useful for cooking in particular I think is for recipes with a partial ingredient match to move to the top.
this was already being worked on but I'm going to call you a little bitch for pretending your feedback is ignored when every post people have made in this thread has seen a pr to try resolve it.
Firstly, if I were you I wouldn't be using little bitch as an insult.

Secondly, several pieces of feedback have been given that are in response to issues still present. For example, the uncompetitive pricing and the incessant nagging/chiming. The crafting menu is still very shitty to navigate, too. Comparatively, I see bartenders getting through their orders very quickly in a way that I imagine is fun and satisfying. I haven't tried it myself yet. Adding a search bar to the crafting menu wouldn't eliminate all the needless tedium and clunkiness of cooking but it'd cut back on a lot of it. If you want to shoot yourself in the foot by leaving your feature too tedious for most cooks to want to do it to spite me then thank you for all that power over you.
NSFW:

Qustinnus

Post by Qustinnus » #596236

cacogen wrote:
Qustinnus wrote:
Firstly, if I were you I wouldn't be using little bitch as an insult.

Secondly, several pieces of feedback have been given that are in response to issues still present. For example, the uncompetitive pricing and the incessant nagging/chiming. The crafting menu is still very shitty to navigate, too. Comparatively, I see bartenders getting through their orders very quickly in a way that I imagine is fun and satisfying. I haven't tried it myself yet. Adding a search bar to the crafting menu wouldn't eliminate all the needless tedium and clunkiness of cooking but it'd cut back on a lot of it. If you want to shoot yourself in the foot by leaving your feature too tedious for most cooks to want to do it to spite me then thank you for all that power over you.
bruh i said we're working on the crafting recipe thing
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #596389

Oh, that's good. I'm sorry, I misinterpreted your post.

Couple of things I've noticed:

1. Players start by placing too many seating placements and become overwhelmed. You quickly learn not to do this. But you'd eliminate that learning curve entirely (as well as the learning curve of knowing you have to place seating placements) by having seating placements begin on the map (instead of being controlled by the player) and having the amount of customers build naturally as orders are fulfilled. My only reference for this type of minigame (that I can remember) is the Lumosity coffee serving game, and with each subsequent level the rate at which orders come in and their complexity increases.

2. The bot waiting at the door chimes every ten seconds, which spams the chat and adds to the overwhelm needlessly.
NSFW:

Qustinnus

Post by Qustinnus » #596417

cacogen wrote:Oh, that's good. I'm sorry, I misinterpreted your post.

Couple of things I've noticed:

1. Players start by placing too many seating placements and become overwhelmed. You quickly learn not to do this. But you'd eliminate that learning curve entirely (as well as the learning curve of knowing you have to place seating placements) by having seating placements begin on the map (instead of being controlled by the player) and having the amount of customers build naturally as orders are fulfilled. My only reference for this type of minigame (that I can remember) is the Lumosity coffee serving game, and with each subsequent level the rate at which orders come in and their complexity increases.

2. The bot waiting at the door chimes every ten seconds, which spams the chat and adds to the overwhelm needlessly.

i don't like the idea of seats being locked, I can however make it so you can unlock more seats through the service achievements.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #596488

You can cap it so you only have 3 seats at the start and unlock more as you serve more guests. This'll annoy extreme powergamers but frankly I think the gains for newbies not creating too many seats is probably worth it. Also who doesn't like the idea of the portal going "Congratulations! Your restaurant has upgraded to 2 stars. You may now place 5 seats. Get back to work."
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #613857

Its currently september and all i've heard about this system has been negative feedback about the bots being gratiutiously violent, but elsewise everyone seems to be happy about how they function.

I tried the bar/restaurant personally on two occasions
#1 The portal (also witnessed by a admin who came to help) can be built from RND directly, but refuses to function in a eternally "on" state without a shutter-up-shutter-down, nor draws robot traffic. Places like golems have ancient circuit imprinters which can make these but none of the other relevant service equipment (but thats their own ancient rnd machine/ruin feedback gripe) Admin spawned in a restaurant seating placement device after we asked nicely, and we clarified it didnt work with a improvised RND setup. Presumably its also not repairable for this reason unless it just doesnt work outside of the bar/kitchen.
#2 Kitchen shift with two cooks on metastation, we were overhwhelmed by the quantity of varied dishes (craftmenu sub-issue) & we only fufilled about 3/8 orders in a hour because we were taking so long to grow the fresh produce's maturation. When one was ready usually our customer left, only mexico-bot was our reliable source of income since i had chosen a fiesta ingredient box to fresh-source botany.
# Suggest to change
Spoiler:
- The restaurant portal board should be maybe booted straight into the service protolathe only and calibrated to work inter-dependently of one another (identifying restaurants via console in "new suggestions" section). Perhaps a "Hospitality" technological module would help group relevant restaurant items more cohesively.

- Bots made harder to provoke, reportedly just grabbing one of them is enough to hospitalize a space-person. Becoming disgruntled to leave if not overtly violent.

- On discord feedback, Kawaiibot has too simple tastes when asked out of which they found easiest if they could filter nationalities.
New Suggestions (made out of my own observations and asking people in discord)
Spoiler:
- A console for controlling the flow and nationality of guests to replace the emptyhand turning on and off the portal, importantly to fix RND built with a connector, and other functions like applying disk upgrades (like a supply console) + assisting limited ingredient & themed kitchen/restaurants (having the choice to alter nationalties may also be a upgrade because it increases your profit margins)

- Venue reputation: to prevent repetition and make it feel like a progressive system, earn your michelin star and chef boyardee outfit. Meet new exotic guests, kill them for unique drops, panic as guest killings drop your reputational score and your boyardee outfit dematerializes you nude out of shame.

- Arnold Pizza TerminatorBot: in advanced reputational/upgrade tiers, pays handsomely but goes aggressive and rips arms off if provoked or offered the wrong kind of pizza, before leaving.

Spoiler:
Mailbox
Byond Username: Mailbox

Post by Mailbox » #613859

They prevent bar rp by being in the way and the bartender doesn't focus on serving the crew and instead tries to earn money by serving the bots instead.

Single missclick and the bot fuck you up.

Wish they could be served somewhere else where they don't prevent bar and kitchen from being a communal meeting place
Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #613860

Mailbox wrote:Wish they could be served somewhere else where they don't prevent bar and kitchen from being a communal meeting place
This is a problem that could easily be solved by the chef/bartender being smarter with their robot spots. You only need to place one or two. If they're filling all the seats in the cafeteria, they're doing it wrong.
► Show Spoiler
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #613900

Mailbox wrote:They prevent bar rp by being in the way and the bartender doesn't focus on serving the crew and instead tries to earn money by serving the bots instead.

Single missclick and the bot fuck you up.

Wish they could be served somewhere else where they don't prevent bar and kitchen from being a communal meeting place
Anything other than the misclick issue has nothing to do with the bot and everything to do with your bartender player.

also have you tried paying the bartender for your drink? :)
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #613902

Farquaar wrote:
Mailbox wrote:Wish they could be served somewhere else where they don't prevent bar and kitchen from being a communal meeting place
This is a problem that could easily be solved by the chef/bartender being smarter with their robot spots. You only need to place one or two. If they're filling all the seats in the cafeteria, they're doing it wrong.
I like to seat them a little bit aways at one of the tables so they don't take up precious counter slots
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #613914

i like them it gives me something to do when people dont want to do hang out
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #613971

Was lurking in the bombed out cafe and the portal activated and played a deafening jingle and i jumped out of my skin 11/10
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Aeri
Byond Username: Cat348

Post by Aeri » #616482

- The robots shouldn't be portable meat grinders that can instantly break all your limbs
- It's lame that they just go (woosh crikey) if you break one, these assholes are literally just toys for the chef/bartender and nothing more

Now I'm not saying they should have epic gamer loot, but it's super lame that they just vanish into nothing, they should drop random machine parts (or something), or have a combat oriented robot show up to try to avenge them or something.

The bots having some kind of drops also allows for meaningful conflict, right now the only reason you could have to fuck with these robots is to screw over the chef, which sure, can be a good enough reason if he's being a fuckass and only serving the robots.

Also as of today, October 11th, I barely see these robots, sooooo... :v
Tell your local headmins to abolish ENFORCE_HUMAN_AUTHORITY, humans are fucking boring. Allow plasmeme CE, Lizard HOS, etc!
EuSouAFazenda
Byond Username: EuSouAFazenda

Post by EuSouAFazenda » #616483

Aeri wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:51 pm The bots having some kind of drops also allows for meaningful conflict, right now the only reason you could have to fuck with these robots is to screw over the chef, which sure, can be a good enough reason if he's being a fuckass and only serving the robots.
Isn't the whole point of them not having meaningful drops and instafucking you so that you wouldn't have a reason to fuck with them? Like bruh you're completely missing the point.
I remade the beach away mission
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #616501

Aeri wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:51 pmThe bots having some kind of drops also allows for meaningful conflict, right now the only reason you could have to fuck with these robots is to screw over the chef, which sure, can be a good enough reason if he's being a fuckass and only serving the robots.
POV: you can only interact with things by breaking them.

Did you break all your toys as a kid too?
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #616679

killing the cook's robots should reward you with metal bones and 3-5gp
Aeri wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:51 pm Also as of today, October 11th, I barely see these robots, sooooo... :v
if the robots made less noise and the minigame itself was organised into levels of increasing difficulty with breaks in-between it would be less tiresome to play and would give the cook a chance to replenish the human food in-between levels which would mean it would see more play
NSFW: