[POLL] Syndiborg Pinpointers

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.

Should Syndiborgs have SPECIAL pinpointers that point towards nearest operative?

Yes
28%
Yes
27%
Yes
27%
No
6%
No
6%
No
6%

Total votes: 85

Cheridan
Byond Username: Cheridan

[POLL] Syndiborg Pinpointers

Post by Cheridan » #62600

https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-station/pull/7109

There was some disagreement over this so I figured I'd put it to a poll. There's some discussion in the PR to get you guys started.
Last edited by peoplearestrange on Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:23 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: title edit for [poll]
/tg/station spriter, admin, and headcoder. Feel free to contact me via PM with questions, concerns, or requests.
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Re: Syndiborg Pinpointers

Post by paprika » #62601

Let's buff syndieborgs even more guys fuck teamwork
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Tsaricide
Byond Username: Tsaricide

Post by Tsaricide » #62602

Borgs should have to rely on the operatives to find the disk and shouldn't just run away and lone wolf it with his own pinpointer.
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #62605

I second Tsar's post. I feel that giving the ALREADY super-strong borg an undroppable pinpointer is a bit much.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #62606

Yeah except

"Borg, go kill the AI"

"Okay, complete. Where are the rest of you now?"
"Guys?"
"Okay i'll check the bridge."
"Hello?"
"I'll check armory then."
"Does anyone know where the fucking disk is holy shit."
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Cheridan

Post by Cheridan » #62608

I do agree that syndiborgs are too powerful right now, but I don't think that hamstringing them in navigation and usability is a proper way to balance them out.
/tg/station spriter, admin, and headcoder. Feel free to contact me via PM with questions, concerns, or requests.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #62609

I agree with not buffing syndie borg, but what Saegrimr said happens A LOT. It's really fucking frustrating to be a syndie borg, follow your orders and do a good job, then your shitty team mates wordlessly do their shit, and either get the disk or die without saying anything. Then you literally have no choice but to 'lone wolf' while trying to find your people. More then once I've had ops activate the nuke, without once saying anything to me as a borg the entire time.

That's more of a player issue though. Borgs with pinpointers would be mechanically pretty fucking strong.
Miauw
Byond Username: Miauw62

Post by Miauw » #62642

The borgs are too OP to be able to go after the disk by themselves, imo. I guess a pinpointer to the nearest op would be good, though.
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
<Tobba> I stared into BYOND and it farted
leibniz
Byond Username: Leibniz

Post by leibniz » #62652

I dont think the borgs are powerful anymore with the ebow and laser removed, so the pinpointer wouldnt really hurt.
I still see teams go "let's get as many borgs as we can" and then they get fucked.
Founder and only member of the "Whitelist Nukeops" movement
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #62656

Yeah, the LMG/Nade launcher really did nerf Snydi Borgs severely in terms of stopping power.

Hence why I support a form of Syndiborg Pinpointers.
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #62688

Jesus I didn't even know syndiborks got needed. If they don't have ebows anymore then I'd be alright with the pinpointer
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #62690

The LMG is a lower damaging weapon (20 to 30) that has limited ammo. It works akin to the Captain's Laser but from my experience you burn through ammo fast and it tends to run out a the worst time.

So yes, Syndi borgs were severaly nerfed and are now a true support role rather than a assault platform.
Xhuis
Github User
Byond Username: Xhuis
Github Username: Xhuis

Post by Xhuis » #62693

How about this:

Syndiborgs have an operative pinpointer. It points to the nearest nuke op and gives their name. If there are no active operatives, it points to the disk so they can at least win a minor victory.

Edit: I have had a PR for this for a while and I just now updated it to have op pinpointers that point to the nearest Syndicate.
I'm an ex-coder for /tg/. I made the original versions of clockcult, shadowlings, revenants, His Grace, and other stuff.
I don't play, code, or participate in the community, but I occasionally post dumb stuff in the hut.
Kraso wrote:hi gay
wubli wrote:xhuis you said you were feeling better but every thread you make makes me worry more about your sanity
ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone wrote:Sorry I was making fun of xhuis' """""compromise""""" who insisted that was the correct term to use.
CitrusGender wrote:We've ended up disabling clockcult on sybil and bagil now (terry is having some problems.) We will give Xhuis some time until he wishes to work upon it again. As of now, please use this thread for ideas and not for bickering.
wubli wrote:you are a cultist of the gay
IkeTG wrote:It's a reflection of humanity, like all of man's creation. You cannot divorce this act from yourself, in a way there's a big titty moth inside all of us.
wesoda25 wrote:yeah no one was curious what it was from. Imagine choosing being a degenerate as your forum gimmick, LOL
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #62753

Its not an issue of borgs running off alone and more that they kinda end up as a fifth wheel without their own pinpointer. I mean really, we don't limit ops teams to a pinpointer for every other op on the team so they have to work together. Excluding borgs after already nerfing their weaponry is pretty awful.
Perakp
Byond Username: Perakp

Post by Perakp » #62760

It makes sense that they would have a pinpointer. They are a custom built syndicate cyborg after all.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #62761

No reason for them not to have one. Hand it to them.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
mikecari
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Mikecari

Post by mikecari » #62762

DemonFiren wrote:No reason for them not to have one.
Except for balance issues of course, Ops are already incredibly reliant on syndiborgs as it is. I almost always see the old triple borg strategy nowadays. With pinpointers on borgs the ops will literally have NO reason to choose the other items over the syndiborg and stealth ops will be even less common than they already are.

I just wanna see more Nuke Ops try the Solid Snake method rather than just buy 3 borgs and gg no re.
Fatal
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: FatalX1

Post by Fatal » #62775

Yeah syndieborgs are already powerful enough, let's not turn nuke ops into syndie borg attack 101

They already have enough gear to aid the operatives, if the operatives die or don't take pinpointers, that is their own fault
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #62782

Not having pinpointers meant they couldnt act as a lone wolf and had to stick together with the other ops.

As someone who gets syndie borg all the time, pls no
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #62796

Ikarrus wrote:Not having pinpointers meant they couldnt act as a lone wolf and had to stick together with the other ops.

As someone who gets syndie borg all the time, pls no
This would be relevent if the borgs didn't already run off alone. Except they do it now to pointlessly murderbone crew instead of move toward the disk. Since the ops are all moving to the disk following their pointers and the borg does not, it has nothing to orient itself towards the target so it just wanders around killing randoms and being useless until it bumps into another op on accident or gets flashed.
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #62797

Make pinpointer point at nearest op.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #62798

I'd strongly prefer it if it was used to direct the borg to the nearest op instead of the disk.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #62935

Finding the operatives is more important than the disk itself for a syndiborg. Since you can't arm nuclear arms without arms.

Might actually be more of a buff but I support it on the basis of being more interesting than another pinpointer.

Not that a pinpointer is a huge buff anyway, babies.
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #62937

Don't we still have that radar nanomachine that doohl coded?

Can't we have that detect nuke ops and give them to nuke ops + syndie borgs?

It'd help keep all of them together and we wouldn't need to give borgs pinpointers.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Loonikus
Byond Username: Loonicus

Post by Loonikus » #62942

No, I think that got removed along with all the other badass nanomachine tech.
Cheridan

Post by Cheridan » #63033

PR has been changed to give syndiborgs special pinpointers that point towards the nearest operative. Poll has been reset.
Deantwo
Byond Username: Deantwo

Post by Deantwo » #63035

Would make subverting a syndiborgs a very powerful tool. Just saying.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #63038

If the crew are in a position to subvert a Syndiborg then someone has gone horribly wrong and the Ops have most likely lost.
mikecari
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Mikecari

Post by mikecari » #63478

Steelpoint wrote:If the crew are in a position to subvert a Syndiborg then someone has gone horribly wrong and the Ops have most likely lost.
This, either that or the syndieborg is a lone wolf piece of shit.
Phalanx300
Byond Username: Phalanx300

Post by Phalanx300 » #63479

Cheridan wrote:PR has been changed to give syndiborgs special pinpointers that point towards the nearest operative. Poll has been reset.
Kindoff unrelated but does this mean we could have traitor pinpointers which point towards your target?
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #63555

Deantwo wrote:Would make subverting a syndiborgs a very powerful tool. Just saying.
It shouldn't be possible to even do that, honestly.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #63556

MisterPerson wrote:It shouldn't be possible to even do that, honestly.
I mean you could probably steal an emag from a dead one, but I haven't actually checked if syndieborgs start as technically emagged to make sure they can't get emagged again.

Like someone else said, if you have the luxury of looting a dead nuke op for his emag and flashing their borg, they're already losing.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #63558

Saegrimr wrote:
MisterPerson wrote:It shouldn't be possible to even do that, honestly.
I mean you could probably steal an emag from a dead one, but I haven't actually checked if syndieborgs start as technically emagged to make sure they can't get emagged again.

Like someone else said, if you have the luxury of looting a dead nuke op for his emag and flashing their borg, they're already losing.
You need the emag to open the Borg's cover (or one of the Ops' ID cards). You can then purge its laws with a purge board, then give it new laws so it will turn on the remaining Nuke Ops.
Saegrimr

Re: [POLL] Syndiborg Pinpointers

Post by Saegrimr » #63571

I had no idea you could use law boards directly onto borgs.
soulgamer
Byond Username: Soulgamergod

Post by soulgamer » #63580

Oh look no one will ever bother with trying innovative syndie shit. Now they can just spawn syndiborgs to do EVERYTHING for them.
Deantwo
Byond Username: Deantwo

Post by Deantwo » #63581

soulgamer wrote:Oh look no one will ever bother with trying innovative syndie shit. Now they can just spawn syndiborgs to do EVERYTHING for them.
Did you even read any of the thread?
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #63696

I have to say its not all that obvious that the sydi-borgs pinpointer points towards ops. It looks exactly like the regular pinpointer and iirc they aren't even renamed. A sprite re-skin might help or at least some more info.

Confused the hell out of me last night at any rate.
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
Xhuis
Github User
Byond Username: Xhuis
Github Username: Xhuis

Post by Xhuis » #64023

peoplearestrange wrote:I have to say its not all that obvious that the sydi-borgs pinpointer points towards ops. It looks exactly like the regular pinpointer and iirc they aren't even renamed. A sprite re-skin might help or at least some more info.

Confused the hell out of me last night at any rate.
They are renamed. A sprite change isn't really warranted, though, because the average nuke op player is observant enough to note "huh, this has a different name and description, so it must have a different purpose as well." I might make a pull request in a little while to improve it - I've already had a few ideas, like a pop-up list of ops to track.
I'm an ex-coder for /tg/. I made the original versions of clockcult, shadowlings, revenants, His Grace, and other stuff.
I don't play, code, or participate in the community, but I occasionally post dumb stuff in the hut.
Kraso wrote:hi gay
wubli wrote:xhuis you said you were feeling better but every thread you make makes me worry more about your sanity
ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone wrote:Sorry I was making fun of xhuis' """""compromise""""" who insisted that was the correct term to use.
CitrusGender wrote:We've ended up disabling clockcult on sybil and bagil now (terry is having some problems.) We will give Xhuis some time until he wishes to work upon it again. As of now, please use this thread for ideas and not for bickering.
wubli wrote:you are a cultist of the gay
IkeTG wrote:It's a reflection of humanity, like all of man's creation. You cannot divorce this act from yourself, in a way there's a big titty moth inside all of us.
wesoda25 wrote:yeah no one was curious what it was from. Imagine choosing being a degenerate as your forum gimmick, LOL
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #64041

Recolour it. Good enough for lazy jrpgs good enough for us.
Cheridan

Post by Cheridan » #64072

Phalanx300 wrote:
Cheridan wrote:PR has been changed to give syndiborgs special pinpointers that point towards the nearest operative. Poll has been reset.
Kindoff unrelated but does this mean we could have traitor pinpointers which point towards your target?
There was a PR for this, but it had a big issue. Namely, the way you picked items for a Steal objective was simply selecting from a drop-down list. It was messy, metaish, and could lead to situations where the HoS lifts one off a traitor and gets to hunt down every objective on the station.

If someone changed the selection method (reading the objective datum would be the best, probably) then yeah it would be a good addition.