Modsuit player thread!

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)

Modsuits-Good or bad

Good
35%
Bad
43%
Indifferent
22%

Total votes: 49

The Wrench
Byond Username: The Wrench

Modsuit player thread!

Post by The Wrench » #634160

Now that the dust has settled! Let’s hear how modsuits are setting in!
Jonathan Gupta wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:32 pm all you godamn do is whine and complain come up with ideas, stop bitching for christs sake.
Flatulent wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:02 am You and anyone who supports the rule 3 as described by mso is simply put not an lrp player

Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Re: Modsuit player thread!

Post by Farquaar » #634162

They're kind of overly complicated. I wish the intuitive softsuit-hardsuit dichotomy still existed.
► Show Spoiler
datorangebottle
Byond Username: Datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #634163

I LOVE modsuits.
Timberpoes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm I highly doubt any other admin on the team would have given you this chance, except maybe Kieth because his brain worms are almost as bad as mine.
Vekter wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:45 pm At what point does someone's refusal or failure to improve become malice in and of itself? If you give someone a year to stop shitting on the carpet and they keep doing it but get slightly closer to the bathroom every time and sometimes they get to the toilet before it happens, at what point does it become acceptable to just ask them to go shit in someone else's house?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:00 pm I'm sorry, can we get a real player to resolve this appeal? I don't like this trial player. They can't even set their own name.
Chadley wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 am WENDEZ, cute, cute. I imagine the sleeper activation code when I hear it. That's pretty cool. qB). But I don't like that it doesn't line up to be anything obsurd like WEWLAD. 6/10

SUGMA, nevermind it makes sense now. fuckyou/10
kieth4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:34 pm If it goes to appeals I will stand as the shield and protect this man's right to shit himself. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
sinfulbliss wrote: I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm I think we can all agree that someone throwing a reverse revolver at Zyb as a secret test of character, and Zyb immediately fucking himself with it, is the best thing we all could have received for Christmas this year
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #634169

they're okay, hate the start-up sequence, and the UI is kind of clunky but i can tell a lot of work went into them and some of the modules are pretty cool/fun. represents a huge paradigm shift for cargo (at least if you're the qm). the mining one is pretty overpowered for its low cost (not that i'm complaining)
Bawhoppennn
Github User
Byond Username: Bawhoppennn
Github Username: Bawhoppen

Post by Bawhoppennn » #634171

They look less cool than the old suits
Also they are pretty complicated for not much of a real benefit to the game... More complexity isn't always good I think
I consider myself a /tg/station historian. If you're interested in the server history at all, feel free to ask me and I'll try and get you an answer! #ConcurForever

<KorMobile> you're a hero

[21:20:53] <%oranges> Baw "has cute legs" hoppen
DEAD: ADMIN(Owegno) says, "Nothing lewd happens in adminbus sadly."

[07:13:57] <Rockdtben> Keep in mind that I'm an extremely successful and wealthy male in his late twenties.

(F) DEAD: Professor DonkPocket says, "Admins preventchaos with good messages"

OOC: Pogoman122: Fun fact if someone trespasses on your kitchen just turn them into a nugget

<+KorPhaeron> russians have no souls so magic enrages them
<+KorPhaeron> people who don't like rng are not from /tg/ and are likely redditors
ausops wrote:apart from this there is literally nothing more to say other than that this is the first thread in five years to have achieved something.
tjatpbnj
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Tjatpbnj

Post by tjatpbnj » #634184

They don't look good, and they are otherwise mediocre.
look in the spanner box got no thing in there cant do go sailing in em
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #634193

clunky as fuck, doesn't make the game actually more fun, means i have to fucking beg roboticist to do their job to get a space suit as a plasmaman (since they never do i just fucking spacewalk with a firesuit every round i need to now)
iwishforducks
Byond Username: Iwishforducks

Post by iwishforducks » #634201

agreeing in the overcomplication sentiment. also the fear of power creep (a rational fear) has resulted in them just being worse versions of hardsuits, so it's hard to see them as anything but hardsuits But Worse

ultimately i just wish they were an exosuit and worked pretty much the same as hardsuits except with all the modular things (i LOVE the cargo modsuit- it's swag as hell)
im gay (and also play the moth “bugger”)
YBS
Byond Username: YBS

Post by YBS » #634210

I wish the parts were hotkeyed so I can feel like iron man instead of geriatric clicking man

QM modsuit quite delightful
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #634211

Calling it bad but by a very narrow margin.

They're REALLY COMPLICATED and have a lot of moving parts in terms of code and mechanics... but they don't really do a lot for that.
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #634212

YBS wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:49 am I wish the parts were hotkeyed so I can feel like iron man instead of geriatric clicking man
Dear Lord, the clicking is too much.
► Show Spoiler
Turbonerd
Byond Username: AccountName5

Post by Turbonerd » #634214

The complexity is good. Being able to carry your hardsuit in hand then instantly put it on when needing to go to an uninhabitable area was dumb.
Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #634216

Turbonerd wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 5:00 am The complexity is good. Being able to carry your hardsuit in hand then instantly put it on when needing to go to an uninhabitable area was dumb.
Don't forget having to click through into a pop-up window just to manage your modules and configure them and then have to pin stuff like the holster and jetpack buttons and..."
mstachife
Byond Username: Mstachife

Post by mstachife » #634227

Instead of waiting for a posibrain amongst a pile of half built mechs I now do so amongst a pile of half built modsuits.
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #634234

could be more streamlined
like holster module is way slower than shift+Q to quickly use suit storage gun
since they use bag slot you have to move everything over so if they don't have the extra storage module that can be annoying. also problematic with syndie duffels
using gloves/shoes slot causes issues with noslips, insuls, northstar etc. which can also be problematic
cap hardsuit still really needs some amount of armor. maybe HoS as well.

aside from those issues theyre cool and have a lot of promise
Spoiler:
Notgonnabreaktherule
Byond Username: Notgonnabreaktherules2

Post by Notgonnabreaktherule » #634239

too clunky for me, most of the modules are either too niche or can be substituted for small or tiny sized items put into a box, better off just taking a regular spacesuit than waiting for 10 seconds just to activate, no armor means you're going to get shredded by anyone who moves faster than you or has a gun
i personally do not use modsuits ever, even if my life depends on it i will try to find another way that does not involve modsuits
resident european on basil
► Show Spoiler
do not take books from me
massa
Byond Username: Massa100

Post by massa » #634244

one time I got off the syndicate ship

I didn't click a single button, take any damage, interact with my modsuit panel at all, and it started the deactivation sequence. Then with all the parts it wouldn't reactivate, so I was stuck trying to figure out why all 4 of my mod parts, with a fully powered suit, weren't able to re-engage. it just took itself off, with the helmet gloves chest and feet deployed, in space, and killed me because it was funny

these are just hardsuits with a massive awful timer on them that blocks your glove and shoe and back slots for no reason and you have to sort through a menu or a bunch of buttons just to do what hardsuits did automatically. they'd be cool if they just dropped like this but hardsuits were so simple and efficient and graceful.
:donut2: :honkman: :heart: :honkman: :heart: :honkman: :donut2:
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #634288

sinfulbliss wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:30 am since they use bag slot you have to move everything over so if they don't have the extra storage module that can be annoying. also problematic with syndie duffels
using gloves/shoes slot causes issues with noslips, insuls, northstar etc. which can also be problematic
I completely forgot about this in my earlier post. It's absolute cancer. To make MODsuits good, just have one button activate the parts and enable the modsuit. Don't require removal of anything you're wearing, just unequip it and store it in the parts that are being equipped (might be harder than it sounds with items like the H.A.U.L. gauntlets, which take a bit to unequip). And give the control module the same storage space as a bag.
Agux909
Byond Username: Agux909

Post by Agux909 » #634298

This isn't a delicated competitive game in which the meta has to be tread with carefully every season, the coder fear for modsuits to be "broken on release" resulted in them feeling dull, inconvenient, overcomplicated and disadvantageous to use.

Good on paper but as someone else above pointed out, not doing enough to justify themselves. They can't even look that cool or "custom" since the paint mod has like one option (???)

Modsuits should've released super broken, and then, depending on feedback, receive nerfs in waves. Instead, they released on a nearly worthless state, and now that's the first ever impression they left...

I think there needs to be more live experimentation before balancing things and tightening them up so much. You know, go crazy and all?

Turbonerd
Byond Username: AccountName5

Post by Turbonerd » #634312

Agux909 wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:50 pm Modsuits should've released super broken, and then, depending on feedback, receive nerfs in waves. Instead, they released on a nearly worthless state, and now that's the first ever impression they left...

I think there needs to be more live experimentation before balancing things and tightening them up so much. You know, go crazy and all?
This would take significantly more work, cause an unnecessary amount of maintainer review, cost a lot of GBP, and then have a chance of getting the shitty feature reverted. All that effort for nothing. Some modules have been tested on live servers before released, and their obtainability was balanced so people wouldn't spam them every round.
Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #634317

Yeah but now anything that requires the Engineering or Medical modsuits to do is going to suck for months, if not years.
Yulice
Byond Username: Yulice

Post by Yulice » #634326

modsuits are laughably weak, yeah. The only worthwhile ones IMO are the syndie ones, and even then the hardsuits were just better

the only advantage that syndie modsuits have over the regular ones is that you can now have a shielded elite hardsuit (!)
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #634328

Pandarsenic wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 2:52 am Yeah but now anything that requires the Engineering or Medical modsuits to do is going to suck for months, if not years.
Foreverally shitty modsuits never be reverted or buffed because 72 year old coder drops in biannually to state "im working on it be patient i have a vision"
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #634329

Weak in what way? There's definitely flaws to the implementation, like the lack of armour or the clunkiness, but the mining and loader MODsuits for example are pretty powerful in terms of what they can do.
Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #634331

cacogen wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 6:54 am Weak in what way? There's definitely flaws to the implementation, like the lack of armour or the clunkiness, but the mining and loader MODsuits for example are pretty powerful in terms of what they can do.
Pointlessly time-consuming to put on, take off, shuffle shit around in your inventory, etc.

Battery-limited in a way that usually doesn't matter but is a pain in the ass if it does

Security and Captain no longer have an armored space option, which makes syndies venting the station incredibly strong in theory (Haven't rolled ops since Modsuits dropped so I can't verify this in practice)

Low inventory space and a lack of core features in exchange for management bloat on the two I called out in particular (Engineering and Medical modsuits), which is just kind of annoying for no real gain. Who thought Engineering and Atmospherics Hardsuits needed a nerf?
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #634351

Had to try and revive a chief engineer yesterday, took forever to get his mod suit off and heal him.
massa
Byond Username: Massa100

Post by massa » #634393

cacogen wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 6:54 am Weak in what way? There's definitely flaws to the implementation, like the lack of armour or the clunkiness, but the mining and loader MODsuits for example are pretty powerful in terms of what they can do.
being fast and using a plasma cutter is powerfuler
:donut2: :honkman: :heart: :honkman: :heart: :honkman: :donut2:
toemas
Byond Username: Realthoman_

Post by toemas » #634402

coders so terrified of "powercreep" that they just dont allow their features to be useful and nobody uses it as a consequence, lol. its a real shame because the sprites and stuff are so nice. fikou pr'd modsuit armor so it might be more worth using soon, who knows.
SkeletalElite
Byond Username: SkeletalElite
Github Username: SkeletalElite

Post by SkeletalElite » #634420

I think they're kinda cool but they're so restrictive and come with downsides so hefty that I feel like they've just become more cumbersome than anything and so I'm kind of indifferent overall.

Stuff like the restricted backpack space and slowdown means I'd rather just not have one on me so unless it happens to be nearby and I need it in the moment I won't use it, I'd rather just have a soft suit nearby because I can throw it on quicker in an emergency and not lose bag space for it. On top of that if you lose a limb the whole thing detracts and becomes useless, which I've had happen multiple times due to their pretty significant lack of bomb armor, just another situation where I'd rather have put on a soft suit instead. Especially since most of the "utilities" you get from using it are just useless, especially in the security suits case, pretty much all of the "complexity" is being used on replacing something you get by simply having regular armor on instead. flashlight? light on gun in suit slot. Weapon holster? gun in suit slot.(bonus points becuase I can just press shift Q to get my gun out of my suit slot but need to press a button all the way in the top left and then ANOTHER button in the middle of my screen to draw from the holster) Flash protection and HUD? I have glasses that do both of those things already. The only thing really special is the shock protection but that's a pretty niche benefit unless there's a mass door shocking going on and a single random shocked door or whatever I'm not going to have the suit on at all times for. Plus if you REALLY need shock protection for some reason you can always get your hands on a pair of insuls.

So practically speaking they've just become worse hardsuits because I only grab it if I have a specific need for it and even once I have that specific need for it it is less protective and more cumbersome to use than hardsuits were which has lead to softsuits basically just being preferable.
Timonk
Byond Username: Timonk

Post by Timonk » #634453

I love them because my good friend fikou made them
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
In short, this appeal is denied. Suck my nuts retard.
Quoting a legend, at least im not a faggot lol
See you in 12 months unless you blacklist me for this
Timberpoes wrote: I'm going to admin timonk [...]. Fuck it, he's also now my second host vote if goof rejects.
pikeyeskey13 wrote: ok don't forget to shove it up your ass lmao oops u can delete this one I just wanted to make sure it went through
Agux909 wrote:
Timonk wrote:This is why we make fun of Manuel
Woah bravo there sir, post of the month you saved the thread. I feel overwhelmed by the echo of unlimited wisdom and usefulness sprouting from you post. Every Manuel player now feels embarrased to exist because of your much NEEDED wise words, you sure teached'em all, you genius, IQ lord.

The hut has perished at my hands.

The pink arrow is always right.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #634485

I love modsuits
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #634533

I've used them a lot at this point as I play robo and mess with them all the time. While I understand that complexity is meant to be their balancing point, and the suits that are faster are meant to be weaker on the complexity they can benefit from, generally I actually only need like...maybe three modules minimum?

Storage (3 complexity), and any combination of three 2 complexity modules, one 3 module and two 2 modules, or two 3 modules and a 1 module.

It's not like I wouldn't *want* more modules, its just that I can swap them if I need to go do something my current suit loadout cant accomplish. As a robo I usually have the organ thrower, welding protection and heath hud for office work, but then I can go get an ion thruster and some other modules if I need to actually go do something more specific, like collect dead borgs from blown out parts of the station.

As a result, I settle on the security suit every time. I'm faster deployed and undeployed, I get free insuls, I'm pepperspray immune and I can be flashproof as well, and if I'm fighting for some reason I can use a holster module to conceal a pipegun. Even when I get a suit as a nonrobo, I ask for the sec suit. It's just all round good enough and you don't need much for non-specific modsuits. Storage, thruster, welding, a hud (probably health). I think this is the most 'best in slot' modsuit setup for the allrounder, but that's ignoring the value of the other modules.

The action button setup can be a bit finicky but nice enough for stuff I only use every so often. Holster is really the only module I think that is worse than what we had before (suit storage for guns) due to not having a hotkey, but that's not a modsuit problem, that's an action button problem. Otherwise, the middle mouse button modules are fantastic and I love using them. Even Holster could be solved by making that a middle mouse button module maybe.

The only terrible suit is the RD's. Due to the suit always slowing you while undeployed (not really a fan of that change), and there being enough meaningful modules for the RD to utilize, I just make some other suit and leave that giant slab of shit in the suit storage. I'd take a basic modsuit over it any day.
Timonk

Post by Timonk » #634584

Circuits modsuit
Ai modsuit
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
Timberpoes wrote: I'm going to admin timonk [...]. Fuck it, he's also now my second host vote if goof rejects.
pikeyeskey13 wrote: ok don't forget to shove it up your ass lmao oops u can delete this one I just wanted to make sure it went through
Agux909 wrote:
Woah bravo there sir, post of the month you saved the thread. I feel overwhelmed by the echo of unlimited wisdom and usefulness sprouting from you post. Every Manuel player now feels embarrased to exist because of your much NEEDED wise words, you sure teached'em all, you genius, IQ lord.

Jonathan Gupta
Byond Username: BallastMonsterGnarGnar

Post by Jonathan Gupta » #634649

modsuits have armor rejoice.
Living God

Extraordinary Person

Timonk

Post by Timonk » #634661

Jonathan Gupta wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:40 pm modsuits have armor rejoice.
Since when
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
Agux909 wrote:

InfiniteGalaxies
Byond Username: InfiniteGalaxies

Post by InfiniteGalaxies » #634662

Timonk wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:56 pm
Jonathan Gupta wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:40 pm modsuits have armor rejoice.
Since when
yesterday. read change logs
► Show Spoiler
Plays Manuel and TGMC.

Ticky tocky goes clocky, you did an icky ocky!
Timonk

Post by Timonk » #634890

Timonk wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:40 pm I love them because my good friend fikou made them
just kidding he VC muted me MODsuits suck
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
Agux909 wrote:

Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #634901

I enjoy fiddling with modsuits and playing with all the modules and the options and stuff when nothing much is going on, but in emergencies when a softsuit is available i dump the modsuit on the floor and take the inferior option every time
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕