What do you look for in a station?

Mapping Ideas and Sprite Galleries
JackHunt
Byond Username: JackHunt

What do you look for in a station?

Post by JackHunt » #64503

Hey, I've been lurking for a while and I've been throwing together a rough map of a whole boxstation-sized station.

Instead of branching off four cardinal hallways I've based it around three large ovals that are connected via a few walkways. Features of the current mock up are three five-wide main halls down the center of each section (Was going to put transport tubes down them until I realized there are no vertical crosswalks), med and sec are in the center section, two mini sec and mini med rooms in the other two sections and a general theme of independent resources for each major sector. Maint is a more insular thing, wrapping around each department and around the outside of each main section with lots of interesting little greebles between the main sections (unfinished bridges, protruding rotundas, old airlocks). The redundancy in each section is designed to make a more resilient station to sabotage entirely (backup power and basic atmospherics are in each section seperately) but with it's own complexities and weak points (Telecoms exposed to space, only one or two main points of transport, maint is now often only an r-wall from sensitive areas).
Trio0.02.png
In general what kind of big picture things do you look for in the design of a station?
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Re: What do you look for in a station?

Post by Ikarrus » #64507

SS13 is a vastly complex game to any newcomer, so what I look for is intuitiveness and simplicity of the design. It should be easy enough to give somebody simple directions IC to get them basically anywhere on station.

Which is why I really like box. The four cardinal directions, or "wings", make giving directions really easy to do.

Another important thing that some mappers seem to overlook is vulnerability, both in safety and security. SS13 works best when it doesn't take place on a perfectly sensible and secure station.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Xhuis
Github User
Byond Username: Xhuis
Github Username: Xhuis

Post by Xhuis » #64509

Easy hall traffic is something that you seem to have covered. The concept seems to work well, as long as all the departments are sized well. If you're going to have three separate areas, have plenty of walkways and of course maintenance access between them.

As for general feedback, the best things to do when mapping are the following:
1. A layout that makes sense and doesn't impede movement or crowds. BoxStation really suffers from this in places.
2. Plenty of resources laying around in their departments. A few insuls in engineering, a few medipens in medbay, things like that.
3. Easy public access to civilian jobs like Botany and the Maltese Falcon. I highly recommend putting an airlock between Botany and the Kitchen that both parties can use.
4. Variance - nobody likes a boring station.
5. Easy ways to get around for departments that roam a lot like janitor.
6. Ways to sabotage the station easily. While a few bombs might force a shuttle call anyway, creative and subtle sabotage is heavy in how easy it is, especially in maintenance.

That's all I can think of at the moment.
I'm an ex-coder for /tg/. I made the original versions of clockcult, shadowlings, revenants, His Grace, and other stuff.
I don't play, code, or participate in the community, but I occasionally post dumb stuff in the hut.
Kraso wrote:hi gay
wubli wrote:xhuis you said you were feeling better but every thread you make makes me worry more about your sanity
ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone wrote:Sorry I was making fun of xhuis' """""compromise""""" who insisted that was the correct term to use.
CitrusGender wrote:We've ended up disabling clockcult on sybil and bagil now (terry is having some problems.) We will give Xhuis some time until he wishes to work upon it again. As of now, please use this thread for ideas and not for bickering.
wubli wrote:you are a cultist of the gay
IkeTG wrote:It's a reflection of humanity, like all of man's creation. You cannot divorce this act from yourself, in a way there's a big titty moth inside all of us.
wesoda25 wrote:yeah no one was curious what it was from. Imagine choosing being a degenerate as your forum gimmick, LOL
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #64519

Departments grouped together in an efficient manner. Minimal time running between mining, science, robotics and chemistry, for instance.
Easily-patrolled open corridors, well-lit and with suficient camera and intercom coverage.
Maintenance that is reasonably easy to maneuver from destination to destination, but has labyrinthian tendencies down the side passages.
Spawning relevant items in departments. That includes stocking up Research with basic gear so they don't have to salvage all over the station. Backup light replacer for the janitor might also work.

As for specific locations.
Security: Prime concern is greytide proofing. Anti-breakout and nuke-op is secondary. Airlock-style access still spacious enough to allow for prisoner transfer. Holding cells in a location that is not too easy to shitler out of (as few windows as possible, as many as required.) Warden's and HoS' reasonably central so they can overview the brig without much trouble.
Engineering: Further away from the rest of the station. Never central location due to singularity. Atmospherics close to engineering, tanks exposed to space to allow for sabotage and alliums. And for the love of Sithis, leave space for suicidal CEs to build a supermatter engine. Keep gravity generator as medium- to high-security area near engineering and r-walled.
Medical: Straight corridors, easy to get to critical areas (cryo first, cloner next-door to cryo.) Isolated patient rooms for traitor action. Virology separated by walkway and airlock, running own atmos and waste. Placed near research due to chemistry.
Research: R&D and robotics close to each other, those close to chems (as above.) Ideally sharing an airlock. Toxins in non-central location, naturally near the hull due to launch site. Xenobiology isolated like virology, including own atmos so xenos cannot immediately traverse vents. Note: Minimise or electrify windows in xenobiology.
Supply: Mining and Cargo separate. Mining near Research, Cargo near civilian or security for fast crate delivery and return.
Service: Bar, kitchen, hydroponics next to each other, possibly sharing basic access. Hydroponics between bar and kitchen allows for fast distribution of produce. Whole service department should be as central as possible, to allow for efficient feeding. Strongly recommend "open" bar area, not walled or windowed off. And please do use wood furniture.
Civilian: Library and chapel can go where ever space is left, except maintenance. In case of chapel: Allow for relatively quick access in case of changeling or cult. Janitorial can literally go where ever space is left. Dormitories near central location, primary and aux tool storage far from engineering.
Bridge: Non-central location, near escape and/or security. Allow for, but minimise maintenance access to bridge in order to permit burglary but enable lockdown options. Main access points should be airlock-style, with flashers. Captain's and HoP's, possibly Head dormitories in bridge area as well. Captain's and head dorms further inside for security.
Communications and AI: Isolated, on a backup power network linked to main grid via SMES. Mini-sat seems tried and proven.
Other: Tech storage near engineering, obviously. Closer to main areas, other departments may have legitimate interest as well. Allow access to secure tech storage without space suit only through one door, expose adjacent tiles to vacuum. Vault similar, although vault can be placed where ever there is space available. Art storage also where there is space. Incinerator best to be buried in maintenance.

Anything else?
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Miauw
Byond Username: Miauw62

Post by Miauw » #64644

I like tall, strong stations with a sense of humor.

More seriously, I'm seconding sometimes dangerous situations. Stations should have an inherent capacity to go wrong.
Extensive and interesting maint is always a big plus, too.
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
<Tobba> I stared into BYOND and it farted
Cipher3
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Cipher3

Post by Cipher3 » #64650

Miauw wrote:Extensive and interesting maint is always a big plus, too.
This.
Spoiler:
Nathanael Greene has made a woman of Bryce Pax!

Valerie Sinnet says, "Nathaniel Greene charged the brig with a fucking HONK."

[Common] Assists-the-Crew hisses, "Walker Quinn s-s-s-ss-stole the HoP's-s-s-ss-s door"

OOC: HotelBravoLima: I literally can't be removed from power.

I demand this ban be lifted right now. ~Bibliodewangus

Erin Wake whispers, "You should ready up on Badger and boink with me..."

"I think you guys are just tired of drinking hitler and now you want diet hitler.
I've got all that great hitler flavor but only half the hitler calories." - Anon3

You seem to be under the mistaken assumption that PR matters. ~MisterPerson

DEAD: Ichigo Momomiya says, "Coravin's just an ass."

Linus Johnson says, "Hey you know I got this game Skyrim last week"
Linus Johnson says, "I have a level 19 ranger and its so fun"
Weston Zadovsky says, "did he just"
Weston Zadovsky says, "fucking hell"

The emergency shuttle has been called. It will arrive in 10 minutes.
Nature of emergency:
Coravin, just Coravin.

Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Fucking get out."
Coravin Vattes asks, "Please?"
Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Please get the fuck outta my lab."
Coravin Vattes exclaims, "Okay!"
[Common] Beryl Nyuphoran {RD} asks, "WHO GAVE CORAVIN ALL ACCESS?"

Lindsay Donk stammers, "L-Luc-ck w-was-s-s s-s-such-h a beaut-tifu p-p-p-pr-r-rom-m q-q-q-queen"

Ty Andrews curls up in a ball on the floor and purrs.

by oranges » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:15 pm
Get out bluespace, you've not been relevant since you lost the elections

That said, I think there are a shitton of degenerates here and I'd probably gas the lot of you if I had the chance. ~Loonikus

danno
Byond Username: Dannno

Post by danno » #64661

Cipher3 wrote:
Miauw wrote:Extensive and interesting maint is always a big plus, too.
This.
yuh
look at eff3 maint and box maint. and then combine them.
Hornygranny wrote: wtf i like danno now
I don't even play ss13 anymore, pretty much due to dannos stupid bullshit
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #64672

Assmaint and Metamaint were some of the better ones I've seen.

Then again, assmaint could just be expanded into the rock, so naturally it had potential.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Cipher3
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Cipher3

Post by Cipher3 » #64717

Asteroid maint had a few good spots but was only large or detailed in one area. The maintenance that was most skilled at evoking the picture of old station remnants that have been boarded over and junk zones was EFficiency 3. Had maint dorms, maint bathrooms, maint bar, maint garden, maint secret cult spot...
Spoiler:
Nathanael Greene has made a woman of Bryce Pax!

Valerie Sinnet says, "Nathaniel Greene charged the brig with a fucking HONK."

[Common] Assists-the-Crew hisses, "Walker Quinn s-s-s-ss-stole the HoP's-s-s-ss-s door"

OOC: HotelBravoLima: I literally can't be removed from power.

I demand this ban be lifted right now. ~Bibliodewangus

Erin Wake whispers, "You should ready up on Badger and boink with me..."

"I think you guys are just tired of drinking hitler and now you want diet hitler.
I've got all that great hitler flavor but only half the hitler calories." - Anon3

You seem to be under the mistaken assumption that PR matters. ~MisterPerson

DEAD: Ichigo Momomiya says, "Coravin's just an ass."

Linus Johnson says, "Hey you know I got this game Skyrim last week"
Linus Johnson says, "I have a level 19 ranger and its so fun"
Weston Zadovsky says, "did he just"
Weston Zadovsky says, "fucking hell"

The emergency shuttle has been called. It will arrive in 10 minutes.
Nature of emergency:
Coravin, just Coravin.

Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Fucking get out."
Coravin Vattes asks, "Please?"
Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Please get the fuck outta my lab."
Coravin Vattes exclaims, "Okay!"
[Common] Beryl Nyuphoran {RD} asks, "WHO GAVE CORAVIN ALL ACCESS?"

Lindsay Donk stammers, "L-Luc-ck w-was-s-s s-s-such-h a beaut-tifu p-p-p-pr-r-rom-m q-q-q-queen"

Ty Andrews curls up in a ball on the floor and purrs.

by oranges » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:15 pm
Get out bluespace, you've not been relevant since you lost the elections

That said, I think there are a shitton of degenerates here and I'd probably gas the lot of you if I had the chance. ~Loonikus

DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #64722

You mean, secret surgery spot, right?

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
miggles
Byond Username: Miggles

Post by miggles » #64848

Cipher3 wrote:Asteroid maint had a few good spots but was only large or detailed in one area. The maintenance that was most skilled at evoking the picture of old station remnants that have been boarded over and junk zones was EFficiency 3. Had maint dorms, maint bathrooms, maint bar, maint garden, maint secret cult spot...
i think you mean efficiency 1
full hobostation
dezzmont wrote:I am one of sawrge's alt accounts
dezzmont wrote:sawrge has it right.
Connor wrote:miggles is correct though
Phalanx300
Byond Username: Phalanx300

Post by Phalanx300 » #64872

Personally would love to see a station where every room is seperated by Maintanance. And all Air Alarms and APC's are located in Maintanance as well, with some "rooms" in maintanance as well with some semi-important stuff such as SMES.

Kinda like this:
Spoiler:
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #64961

Phalanx300 wrote:Personally would love to see a station where every room is seperated by Maintanance. And all Air Alarms and APC's are located in Maintanance as well, with some "rooms" in maintanance as well with some semi-important stuff such as SMES.

There's a slight issue with putting all your electrical control kit in engineering in that the AI will no longer be able to control it. Unless you add cameras, in which case maintenance is no longer a no-AI zone.
Big Faggot
Byond Username: Floof5467

Post by Big Faggot » #65031

idk 4 me bigger is better always. that applies to stuff outside of stations as well if ucatch my drift
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays
Byond Username: ThanatosRa

Post by ThanatosRa » #65699

Honestly, what I'd like to see for a station is a spindly dangerous as hell station made of interconnected separate parts connected by glass hallways.
my forum gimmick is that no one knows who i am

gender is irrelevant NO UR IRRELEVANT
u a bish
y u heff 2 b med