Engineering competency at an all time low?

General SS13 Chat
Alzam
Byond Username: Alzam

Engineering competency at an all time low?

Post by Alzam » #6351

I took a good 8 month or so break from spaceman, and I've noticed in my time back that engineering has gone to shit pretty badly. Back at least up until a year ago, the engine would pretty much always be set up, and someone wires solars. Sure you'd be hard pressed to get engineers to actually repair anything, but you'd at least know that power wouldn't run out ten minutes into the shift. Nowadays it seems the vast majority of rounds are ended early because engineers either take the suits and run, or fuck up massively like turning on the PA without the emitters, turning on the emitters but not even ASSEMBLING the PA, releasing plasma, or my personal favorite I've started seeing, forgetting to even touch the radiation collectors. The big problem with all of this is that they're almost NEVER antag, and adminhelps about this situation are always ignored and I'll see the same people next shift do the same exact shit. What the fuck happened? And why are admins so reluctant to jobban these people, or even give them warnings? I almost feel like I have to play engineer to babysit people. And that blows.
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Re: Engineering competency at an all time low?

Post by Ikarrus » #6352

I've been playing this game for nearly 3 years now, and engineering competency has been the same as it always has (By which I mean borderline shit).

Most of the time, the engine fucking up is simply because there either aren't any engineers, or it was intentional sabotage. Most admins I know will investigate loose singularities and either educate or punish those responsible.

Engineers, or any job for that matter, who take the limited equipment and fuck off will and do get jobbanned if brought to our attention.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Comrade Leo
Byond Username: ComradeLeo

Post by Comrade Leo » #6353

Speaking from Artyom experience as of late - engineering teams aren't all that bad, unless low pop. I have all roles except few of the service roles and heads, set to medium, on the occasion that I get engineering or atmospherics I'm usually alone. On a rare occasions we have full engineering teams they are usually the most organised team on the station.

If people don't know how to do engineering, just ask someone to teach you - same with atmos.
miggles
Byond Username: Miggles

Post by miggles » #6364

the only issue ive ever seen with them is that there arent enough of them
i love to play engineer though and if there isnt anyone in it when i latejoin i usually pick it
dezzmont wrote:I am one of sawrge's alt accounts
dezzmont wrote:sawrge has it right.
Connor wrote:miggles is correct though
Durkel
Byond Username: Durkel

Post by Durkel » #6373

I blame the new player surge. Been seeing loads of easy questions, fuckups, and ooc in ic.The biggest offender I've seen is someone going ((xDDDDD)) in fucking chat and That made my blood boil. Engineering only really needs one player to baby them, which SHOULD be the CE. Then again, there have been plenty of times I've seen the CE admit he doesn't know how to set up the singularity and just hopes his team doesn't need him.

Pretty much fuck everything. if you don't want your round ruined in five minutes then play engineer and do it yourself.
Sierra Welbe says, "Tim Ebow fucking threw soap everywhere near the HoP office, like I mean 20 fucking goddamn bars AND I CAN'T STOP SLIPPING"
BillWilson
Byond Username: TheEpicPissUmaru

Post by BillWilson » #6408

I'm in the same boat. I took a break so long I forgot my BYOND key, and I feel like, while always being shit, engineering has gotten even shittier. There are only a few names I know I can trust to NOT fuck up everything. I seriously had a round where I was the only engineer and was setting everything up fine. New guy joins the station as a station engineer and next thing I know singulo is loose. Had another round where it was me and one of the engineers I know is alright, as soon as another engi hopped on, we get an alert from the AI plasma is leaking - even though engine was set up the engineer claimed he legitimately didn't know and was trying to fill up the tanks - and his corpse did indeed contain several filled canisters. Several times an explosion on the station exposed to space will see engineers called to fix it, and in spite of having a full crew and repeatedly calling them, it's just me and a lone engi-borg.

Then on the other side, I'll have several rounds were I'll spawn with a full crew, go out to set up the emitters, and come back with everyone gone. Hardsuits, gloves and tools gone, and sure enough, everytime the HoS is telling me he caught one of my engineers breaking into armory or the Captain's quarters. So many people seem to treat the job as a free toolbelt and gloves (or a rigsuit if they're quick enough) and fuck off right away. And 90% of the time their not even antag. If I do yell at them they tell me they don't know how to set up engine or do solars and that I should stop being so mean, or no response at all. I hate being a faggot, but now I just tell security the moment they make it clear they're not coming back to keep an eye on them if there's any hacked doors or people in space.

Past few nights I've been playing botanist instead, and literally every round minus one the singulo either is released due to the SMESs not being set up right, or the engine was never set up - even though we had a full engineering crew in all of those. I don't like teaching players because I'm impatient, but I have several times shown how to set up the engine now and it still fucking happens.

I know engineering has always been shit, but I don't remember it being this bad.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #6410

Yeah I do have to admit, I've seen rounds with a fully staffed Enginering team and the singularity is never set up.

In fact one round I was in I had to get all of Security to set up the singularity. That was pathetic considering the full Engi team and a CE.
Psyentific
Byond Username: Psyentific

Post by Psyentific » #6427

I wish some of the Artyom Atmosians would go Engi/CE. It's really annoying to see Mai Emershun(sic), Ty Andrews and Saiga Not-Spelling-Your-Lastname-Fuckyou all as Atmo Techs, all three of which I know are robust (Heck, I remember Ty and Mai from back in the day), and no engine, or we gotta bug them for it. C'mon you guys, if you're going to go Atmo on lowpop, go CE.

Actually that goes for everyone - If it's a lowpop round, go for your departmental head instead of your usual slot, if only so you can pick up slack and/or we have more people capable of calling the shuttle.
I haven't logged into SS13 in at least a year.
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #6440

We need to fix this by making all engineers spawn in solar rooms with nothing but a firesuit, a coffee and wire.

They can only escape by having the solar console detect power coming in otherwise the door doesn't open.
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
Psyentific

Post by Psyentific » #6444

imblyings wrote:We need to fix this by making all engineers spawn in solar rooms with nothing but a firesuit, a coffee and wire.

They can only escape by having the solar console detect power coming in otherwise the door doesn't open.
Only the robust shall survive
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Post by MrStonedOne » #6449

One round the ce couldn't get the pa running, ai was talking about how he was fucking with wires on the pa, how she didn't know what he was doing.

Captain sees me running by between maints, decked out in full graysuit gear, gloves, engi hard hat, flashlight, tool belt, mutitool and screw driver in my hand and says HEY!, you look competent.

I come in and all of the tiles near the pa are crowbar'ed up the wiring's been completely redone, wires shooting off to corners than going no where, only engi is the ce, and hes hitting random parts of the pa with wires.

I run the screw bar on the middle part (the only one that doesn't tell you visually if its been closed) oh look, it hasn't,

The collectors were filled and the containment was up, so i tell the ce to try it. he does, it turns on, yay!.

I noticed the green bar was running low on one so i say oh shit, powers fucked, i turn the pa off, and run to go setup the pacman, in the middle of this i notice in my chat log that he said "I don't know what hes talking about, generators are all up, and the blue bar is full"

Turns out he had turned the pa back on and around the time it popped the generators turned off. He goes to fix it and gets sucked in, (hadn't turned the pa off for this) it eats him, burst of pa goes off right as im trying to turn it down before it hits level 2 and can move, that and the engineer food does it, now its level two.

That was a quick round.
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
NSFW:
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #6452

I've been playing assistant a lot on high pop recently, and a lot of the time, once I get my all access from robbing the conosole or break into engineering for gloves, I notice the engine isn't set up and half to do it myself.

Even as antag I generally check engineering to make sure someone did their job, ans they often don't.

At least setting it up usually makes the AI love me which cones in handy when shitcurity beats me later.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Psyentific

Post by Psyentific » #6459

MrStonedOne wrote:One round the ce couldn't get the pa running, ai was talking about how he was fucking with wires on the pa, how she didn't know what he was doing.

Captain sees me running by between maints, decked out in full graysuit gear, gloves, engi hard hat, flashlight, tool belt, mutitool and screw driver in my hand and says HEY!, you look competent.

I come in and all of the tiles near the pa are crowbar'ed up the wiring's been completely redone, wires shooting off to corners than going no where, only engi is the ce, and hes hitting random parts of the pa with wires.

I run the screw bar on the middle part (the only one that doesn't tell you visually if its been closed) oh look, it hasn't,

The collectors were filled and the containment was up, so i tell the ce to try it. he does, it turns on, yay!.

I noticed the green bar was running low on one so i say oh shit, powers fucked, i turn the pa off, and run to go setup the pacman, in the middle of this i notice in my chat log that he said "I don't know what hes talking about, generators are all up, and the blue bar is full"

Turns out he had turned the pa back on and around the time it popped the generators turned off. He goes to fix it and gets sucked in, (hadn't turned the pa off for this) it eats him, burst of pa goes off right as im trying to turn it down before it hits level 2 and can move, that and the engineer food does it, now its level two.

That was a quick round.
Did you jobban the CE for being unable to set up the engine? Because that is literally the one thing that's supposed to seperate the CE from the rest of the engis.
Comrade Leo
Byond Username: ComradeLeo

Post by Comrade Leo » #6469

Psyentific wrote: go for your departmental head instead of your usual slot, if only so you can pick up slack and/or we have more people capable of calling the shuttle.
I know me especially don't want the extra responsibility of being a head, and may ring true with others.
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NikNakflak

Post by NikNakFlak » #6476

Psy, you could always do engineering jobs. You only play cargo, one of the few jobs on the station that isnt needed.
Neerti
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Neerti

Post by Neerti » #6513

We don't actually ban for incompetence.
ImageImage
- Game Admin -
Feel free to PM me on the forums or IRC with questions, concerns, feedback, or just talk about stuff.
Have I not met my hitler quota this month?
Psyentific

Post by Psyentific » #6516

Neerti wrote:We don't actually ban for incompetence.
Not even in command roles? Huh.
NikNakFlak wrote:Psy, you could always do engineering jobs. You only play cargo, one of the few jobs on the station that isnt needed.
I could, yeah, but I don't really find engineering fun. Cargo gets a lot of the same tools, and can do the job for them (Mining hardsuit, RCD/metalsheets), but patching breaches and fixing wires is boring. Creating an autism fort is also kinda pointless. The reason I played cargo when I was new was because it was easy - Push da crates. The reason I still play cargo is because cargo is stupidly robust if you know how to use it right.
Lo6a4evskiy
Byond Username: Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #6524

Psyentific wrote:I could, yeah, but I don't really find engineering fun. Cargo gets a lot of the same tools, and can do the job for them (Mining hardsuit, RCD/metalsheets), but patching breaches and fixing wires is boring. Creating an autism fort is also kinda pointless. The reason I played cargo when I was new was because it was easy - Push da crates. The reason I still play cargo is because cargo is stupidly robust if you know how to use it right.
That's why you play command roles. You got more stuff to do other than clicking.

That said, I should play some CE. Haven't played engi for a long time.
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #6525

Durkel wrote:The biggest offender I've seen is someone going ((xDDDDD)) in fucking chat and That made my blood boil. .
at least they had the courtesy to put (( )) rather than just :D etc in chat....
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
Miauw
Byond Username: Miauw62

Post by Miauw » #6661

Durkel wrote:I blame the new player surge. Been seeing loads of easy questions, fuckups, and ooc in ic.The biggest offender I've seen is someone going ((xDDDDD)) in fucking chat and That made my blood boil. Engineering only really needs one player to baby them, which SHOULD be the CE. Then again, there have been plenty of times I've seen the CE admit he doesn't know how to set up the singularity and just hopes his team doesn't need him.

Pretty much fuck everything. if you don't want your round ruined in five minutes then play engineer and do it yourself.
I like playing CE just because it's a rather chill job and you usually have a few slaves to do shit for you so you can get drunk in the bar.
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
<Tobba> I stared into BYOND and it farted
Antonkr
Byond Username: Antonkr

Post by Antonkr » #7015

It's one thing if a player doesn't know what they are doing but if there is an obviously incompetent derelicting engineering team (especially the CE) I will take action against them by either getting them to actually do their job, or jobbans (typically if they are the CE). It's one thing to be incompetent but entirely another to fuck off without actually doing your initial set up, especially as the head of staff.
No longer an admin by own free will. Feel free to add me on steam.
KingLouisXIV
Byond Username: KingLouisXIV

Post by KingLouisXIV » #7034

I haven't noticed it, but then again I've stopped playing Engineering as often because other roles are more fun.

To me personally, the rest of the station might as well not exist on round-start as an Engineer or CE, and I rush the Singularity. It really, REALLY grinds my gears when that one guyi'm guilty of this too for shits and giggles in low pop absolutely insists on not setting up the singularity at all, instead trying to wire the solars first. This almost never works in time for people not to bitch about power issues.

This makes me want to just lock in CE every round like I used to when I first started playing SS13. Only once I could set up the engine without a guide did I even allow myself to take the head position or move on to other roles.
Pybro
Byond Username: Pybro

Post by Pybro » #7042

I've been playing CE more, to ensure the engine starts. I make a note of everyone who helps setup the engine in SOME form. Setup the PA, fill the collectors, set the SMES, do the fields, man the PA. That's five jobs. Anyone who does not do one of these five jobs goes on the list. I forcibly demote them, leaving them utterly naked in the hall. Anyone I can't catch, I let the HoS and his hounds have their fun with them. Anyone who sets up solars is exempt from this, of course. Setting up the engine, or doing the solars, is all I ask.

You're free to hack into wherever, fuck off to space, or build whatever, so long as you setup the engine first.
Aurx
Byond Username: Aurx

Post by Aurx » #7069

KingLouisXIV wrote:It really, REALLY grinds my gears when that one guyi'm guilty of this too for shits and giggles in low pop absolutely insists on not setting up the singularity at all, instead trying to wire the solars first. This almost never works in time for people not to bitch about power issues.
The issue with rushing solars is with staff competency. If you have three other people who can go wire a solar effectively and efficiently, solar power can be online well before the first power alarm. But if you're alone in actually doing the solars, it WILL take too long.

Also, try telling the AI to turn off lights in unused areas. Lights are a HUGE power drain, and a station with the lights out takes a lot longer to drain the SMESes.
Head admin, /vg/station
Game admin, /tg/station
POMF FOR HEADMIN
Kelenius
Byond Username: Kelenius

Post by Kelenius » #7085

As someone who plays AI regularly, I can say that the problem is usually only present when there is one or none engineers. When there are at least two meatsacks with arms, most of the time I only need to open storage and sometimes configure SMES. If nobody is setting up the engine, let someone else do it. An assistant is easily convinced to do it (because there are gloves and toolbelts). HoP and captain both have access to engine. If the power fails, AI is just as much to blame as engineers.

That being said, I've seen CEs who go to telecomms and upload honk scripts without even opening the storage. If CE is present, and engineers need AI to open it, you deserve a job ban.
Psyentific

Post by Psyentific » #7165

QM here, if there's no engineers I'll set up the engine. Just open emitter secure storage for me, so I can grab the emitters plasma canister. Would you like me to steal secure the disk and spare ID, too?
allura
Byond Username: Allura

Post by allura » #7192

unless krake comes back engineering is fucked
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #7299

Krake caused more problems than he solved in engineering

But he had so much broken english character especially when he played the 'french' version of himself as chef

Also protip on solars, instead of going back inside after they're wired just jump across the outside of the station to the next solar cluster, it's much faster. Bring wire snippets to toss if you fall off and you're golden. I can wire the solars easy as fuck in 10-15 minutes. The problem is, it doesn't solve any problems in the long run because convincing people not to set up the engine and do the solars instead is murder. The only time I do my solar wiring speedruns is on lowpop, usually before I log out for the night so I know that the ERPers are nice and safe and have power for the rest of the 3 hour shift.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #7670

It takes all of a minute to turn on the shields and the emitters, the same time to wire up the machine, just a bit more to fill the tanks and put them in the collectors.

Is it that hard to spend less than 5 minutes to set the round up to not fail horribly.

Also wire it straight into the powergrid every time to teach the assistants a lesson.
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
Quey

Post by Quey » #8231

I've seen way too many people get killed setting up the engine, once two in a day. Usually it's setting up the containment field, but occasionally it's dumping a plasma tank (and I've also seen the O2 tank dumped).

Seriously, why don't more people set up containment from the outside in? Pretty much everyone I've actively watched does some weird emitter dodging stuff or takes a circuitous route. If you just start on the far emitters and work your way in you can do it as fast as or faster than any other method and have zero chance of getting shot by an emitter. I've had people yell at me for suggesting that they do it this way, once ending in non-antag violence. All for caring about their safety and the efficient operation of the station.

That said, I've had plenty of rounds with a great engineering staff, but I'd have to agree that the proportion of bad engineers is too high.
miggles

Post by miggles » #8254

or just go clockwise and have an equally 0 chance of being hit by an emitter
hint: turn on the emitters after you've passed them
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #8260

People aren't going to learn unless they try
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #8267

My personal tip is to turn on all the emitters, then turn on the fields from the -inside- of the containment field so you can do it super quick and you're shielded from the emitter lasers by the field generators. It's risky because you can get trapped but you have ample time if you practice it enough.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Psyentific

Post by Psyentific » #8278

paprika wrote:My personal tip is to turn on all the emitters, then turn on the fields from the -inside- of the containment field so you can do it super quick and you're shielded from the emitter lasers by the field generators. It's risky because you can get trapped but you have ample time if you practice it enough.
This is my method - Emitters from the outside in, then fields from the inside out. Use the generators to shield you from the emitters, end on an inside corner so you don't get trapped. In all my times doing the engine, I've only been trapped once, and that's because I slipped when I wanted to make sure I turned on the generator.
miggles

Post by miggles » #8288

or uh
just
do it clockwise
with a literal 0% chance of risk, unless you slip out into space somehow
srifenbyxp
Byond Username: Srifenbyxp

Post by srifenbyxp » #8305

To expect people in this game to be competent is just silly.
To be robust is not about combat prowess, it is the state of readiness for the situation at hand.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #8311

miggles wrote:or uh
just
do it clockwise
Clockwise starting from where?
420goslingboy69
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Usednapkin

Post by 420goslingboy69 » #8312

Psyentific wrote: The reason I still play cargo is because cargo is stupidly robust if you know how to use it right.
thats a really sad reason
i play :):):):):)autumn sinnow
this man's:):):):):) army
DESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTRO:):):):):)YERDESTRO:):):):):)YERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERD:):):):):)ESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROY:):):):):)ERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDEST:):):):):)ROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDES:):):):):)TROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYER
:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

ColonicAcid
Byond Username: ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #8345

Waiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

So now being able to set up the engine makes you a competent engineer/CE?
Wow and I thought that was only 1/4 of the job! Also I laugh at the CE's who don't understand how Atmos works.
crack is whack but smacks got your back
Psyentific

Post by Psyentific » #8347

ColonicAcid wrote:Waiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

So now being able to set up the engine makes you a competent engineer/CE?
Wow and I thought that was only 1/4 of the job! Also I laugh at the CE's who don't understand how Atmos works.
Yes, the standards are that low.
AseaHeru
Rarely plays

Post by AseaHeru » #8361

I dont know how the silly thing works yet...
Atmos that is.

Mostly because its so friggin slow to change.
I am located here, lurking in your posts, leaving piles of transparent wordings and being confused. Oh, I also try to map...

This, this is an example of what I leave for you.
Also, these days I mostly play Ursit McStation, mostly because I like roleplay.
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #8364

Do not forget telecommunications! Often times I, as the AI, end up fixing it on my own with the CE just standing there trying to link all the machines together. Engineering is a really technical job (which is good and realistic). Expect newbs! If you are a newb, ask for help! If you are experienced, do not be a jerk, help out and teach! For those arrogant few that think they know everything, just stand at the PA and wait for them to shock themselves on the field!
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #8368

To be fair, 99% of all tcomms problems can be fixed by simply unlinking then relinking the four machines.
miggles

Post by miggles » #8438

paprika wrote:
miggles wrote:or uh
just
do it clockwise
Clockwise starting from where?
..the airlock?
take this path and you'll never get hit
the trick is to turn on emitters after you walk past them.

this is counterclockwise but it works both ways
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #8450

This looks like the emitter will shoot you as you walk in front of it. Walking in front of emitters at ALL is a bad idea, my pathing only requires you do it once, when it's turned off.
Spoiler:
Starting point is the top left emitter. I never turn on the field generators until all the emitters are online, so I can count each of the 8 generators to make sure they're all on.
420goslingboy69
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Usednapkin

Post by 420goslingboy69 » #8545

Setting up the engine is not hard. You can do it without a hardsuit people pls. You don't need a strategy for it.
i play :):):):):)autumn sinnow
this man's:):):):):) army
DESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTRO:):):):):)YERDESTRO:):):):):)YERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERD:):):):):)ESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROY:):):):):)ERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDEST:):):):):)ROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDES:):):):):)TROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYER
:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #8547

It's not a strategy, it's a habitual path people prefer to take for efficiency reasons. Getting the engine up quickly can be a big deal a lot of the time.

It's not about it being hard, it's about being sanic and doing your job properly.
Quey

Post by Quey » #8552

Right, there are other good methods. But the point is I still see people get shot. With so many good routes, or (what I thought was) just good common sense of not walking in front of active emitters, why are people still being shot? If it is really your first go, have someone show you or try it out on a test server. And REALLY, don't attack me if I try to keep you safe by suggesting you not risk getting shot.

I can understand if your common engineer doesn't know tcomms, and apparently I'm the only one able to set up the thermoelectric generator on ministation, but as long as you can reasonably help with the singularity and do SOMETHING to be useful during the round, I'm satisfied. I just get pissed when engies run off with hardsuits with hull breaches and can't figure out how to fix them. Or worse, play as insulated gloves + tools + high access assistants.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #8557

People try to time it right and run through before the emitter shoots, which is hilarious because >trying to have perfect timing in byond
ColonicAcid
Byond Username: ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #8565

>Implying you can accurately decide when the game decides to have a cycle
when we find out the amount of time it really takes to do a cycle we will become gods.
crack is whack but smacks got your back