Internally body tempurature being raised should not be the sole source of damage from being on fire.

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Itseasytosee2me
Byond Username: Rectification

Internally body tempurature being raised should not be the sole source of damage from being on fire.

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #649803

Its really dumb. Right now in this game, fire doesn't hurt you by being an extreme source of heat that dances across your skin, it just raises your internal body temperature over time. Space dose this too, but with extra damage damage for being in space just for fun. Being on fire should do damage to you as well as raising your internal temperature slowly. If I were to set you on fire in really life, put you out 20 seconds later and put a thermometer in your mouth, you would not suddenly have a higher body temperature, the outer layer of your body would just be burn to hell from localized and intense heat.

The same thing should really apply for other extreme environmental forms of heat and cold, being in a room exposed to space should do cold damage to you on the spot, while slowly lowering your body temperature, rather than just lowering your temperature. We might need to throw in a little separate gage up top to differentiate the temperature of the environment rather than the temp of the player.
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
TheFinalPotato
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: LemonInTheDark

Re: Internally body tempurature being raised should not be the sole source of damage from being on fire.

Post by TheFinalPotato » #649809

Agree. I am very unhappy with the current state of body temperature and heat damage, and intend on reworking it someday to make it more impactful.
I like the idea of body temp regen, and realize that this inherently requires a buffer, but strongly dislike how the hardcap is currently implemented, and how easy it is to out bodytemp the environment's heat.
Part of me thinks heat capacity could play a role in this solution, but that has other issues, especially when it comes to mostly but not fully spaced tiles.

I'm not totally sure I get what you're proposing, but changes to the system to make feedback more immediate, and damage a bit more deadly would be very appreciated.
My ancestors are smiling at me, Imperials. Can you say the same?
Itseasytosee2me
Byond Username: Rectification

Re: Internally body tempurature being raised should not be the sole source of damage from being on fire.

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #649812

TheFinalPotato wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:02 am I'm not totally sure I get what you're proposing, but changes to the system to make feedback more immediate, and damage a bit more deadly would be very appreciated.
I don't really have a proposal because I haven't looked at the code all that much. But the systems in game feel bad.
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
DaydreamIQ
Byond Username: DaydreamIQ

Post by DaydreamIQ » #652834

How about being on fire could have a random chance every tick to give you a 2nd/3rd/Catastrophic level burn depending on how many firestacks you have?
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #652839

DaydreamIQ wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:56 pm How about being on fire could have a random chance every tick to give you a 2nd/3rd/Catastrophic level burn depending on how many firestacks you have?
good idea
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #652842

isnt wounds a config though
► Show Spoiler
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #652896

Shadowflame909 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:44 am isnt wounds a config though
ok and?