Poll: Adding a Population Cap

Users can post replies, but only game admins, mods, and forum admins may post topics. Mainly for questions and official discussions

Should we implement a population cap on the servers?

Poll ended at Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:15 am

Yes
17%
Yes
17%
Yes
17%
No
14%
No
14%
No
14%
Abstain
2%
Abstain
2%
Abstain
2%

Total votes: 270

Timbrewolf
Rarely plays
Byond Username: An0n3

Poll: Adding a Population Cap

Post by Timbrewolf » #65798

In the interests of promoting more interaction between players and improving game balance we've been discussing adding a population cap to both servers. We've noticed a stark decline in communication and cooperation between players the higher the population of the station rises. To combat this and more evenly distribute the population to avoid crowding we're strongly considering trying this as a solution to a lot of issues that have been plaguing our servers for a long time.

We'd like to survey people's opinions to see how receptive folks might be to that and gather more input from the playerbase before doing so. Please vote above and share relevant commentary below.

Please try to keep things civil and on topic. Mods are watching.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Re: Poll: Adding a Population Cap

Post by Ikarrus » #65800

If you guys want a more solid number, we were thinking of a cap around 60-70 players.

I for one genuinely believe this has a good chance of improving the quality of the SS13 play experience. It's something the headmins would like to at the very least try out.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
danno
Byond Username: Dannno

Post by danno » #65801

I acknowledge the population issues but this is a far, far worse fate than what we have now in my mind.
A cap of 60-70 players might work, but anything less would cause problems I think. Like idling to save slots and shit, I dunno.
Hornygranny wrote: wtf i like danno now
I don't even play ss13 anymore, pretty much due to dannos stupid bullshit
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #65803

How can you say it's bad when we've never even tried it?

We've seen how the game becomes different as the population rises and we have two servers we could split people between, giving everyone a chance to play at a number the game was balanced around.

There's no reason we shouldn't at least try it.

Every anecdote we have says this should work.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
danno

Post by danno » #65805

It's just my prediction, I really don't have a lot of solid reasoning for it. Call it a gut feeling. It should definitely be given a shot.
Loonikus
Byond Username: Loonicus

Post by Loonikus » #65806

Theres really no harm in trying it. If it sucks ass, we can easily turn the config off and go back to normal.
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #65810

It's not going to be the same cap you see in Source games. It's not a technical limitation, it' doesn't have to outright block you from connecting to the server at all, it's just something we'd design to protect the game experience.

We're probably going to make admins not count towards the cap. Same could be done for observers as well.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
mrpain
Byond Username: Mrpain666

Post by mrpain » #65812

Yes but lift it when hopefully more departments/jobs get added. This code is in dire need of expansion.
/vg/station Head Admin
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #65813

Could observers also not be counted? I don't see the harm in having, say, people watch the round, or join as drones or be chosen for special events. Performance isn't an issue, so why not?
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #65814

It would be a config option so changing/removing the cap will be easy as piss.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #65821

I abstain until we're told whether or not both servers will be running the same map. I don't think efficiency has been tested at anywhere NEAR that number.

I like the idea but I'm worried about forcing players to play on a map they don't like.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #65823

Down the road if we can expand the stations to hold more people comfortably, in a way that the same design of the station is as fun for 30 people as it is for 90, then we can increase the cap up to whatever.

The current issue is we have two great servers and often both are not at their optimum player count. One server is deserted and the other has people packed in like sardines. One of our houseplants is sick from too much water and the other is wilting. We need to spread the wealth, as it were.

The player counts we're tossing around aren't just arbitrary numbers. We're talking a lot about our collective experiences with the stations at different numbers and most of us agree that somewhere in the neighborhood of 60-70 seems to be the number both designs really shine at. It's a limit of the map and nothing else. When the people who built this sat down and drew them up they had a specific count of players in mind to fill them out. In one case we're operating way under it, and in the other we're going way over it.

Though people will have favorite designs and a familiar place they're used to playing, I truly believe that if people have the option of picking between two places that will run at the populations they should, they will be happy with both choices instead of the favoritism "Give me X or give me death" attitude some people have today.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #65850

No, I don't' like basil,I don't like the history attached to it. I do not want it sam I am, not even with green eggs and ham
miggles
Byond Username: Miggles

Post by miggles » #65851

my one concern is that basil will be flooded with POOPY SIBYL FOLKS if the cap is reached
on one hand this remedies the issue of 2manyplayers on sibyl, on the other, it threatens to ruin the balanced lowpop experience that basil players prefer and force those who like superhighpop to play on a server they arent used to
its worth a try for sure; i myself have been a proponent of a player cap for a while. i just hope it doesnt have any huge adverse effects.
dezzmont wrote:I am one of sawrge's alt accounts
dezzmont wrote:sawrge has it right.
Connor wrote:miggles is correct though
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #65883

When you say 'observers don't count towards the cap' that sounds all well and good. So say you have 60 player cap, and 70 people, with 10 observing. But then what happens next round if all 70 people ready up? 10 people randomly just get told to fuck off by the RNG?

I hate high pop to the point where I won't even join the serve if it's above 60-70, but I don't really like the idea of it, since it's essentially going to be forcing sibyl players onto badger during peak times, even though they are players that actively choose sibyl over badger.

Also if there is a player cap, are you going to just like ban the shit out of anyone that roundstart braindead/suicides?
And if someone dies/goes braindead, does that open up a slot, or do they shut that slot for the whole round?
If it opens a slot, then that punishes people for observing (players that sit on the lobby screen hammering join game can get in, where as observers can't) and it the slot doesn't open, then well, that's bad for pretty obvious reasons.
Last edited by lumipharon on Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #65885

That would be what will happen, so effectively if the cap was at 60 people, you have a 1/7 chance of being told you can't play the round.

I disagree with a population cap, perhaps encouraging people to move servers by advertising the other server if the current server is full. I don't want to be told to fuck off cause I had the audacity of joining at the wrong time.
Alex Crimson
Byond Username: Dazbuzz

Post by Alex Crimson » #65898

60 player cap sounds good to me. Boxstation really isnt designed for 90+ players. It just ends up as a clusterfuck, which may be be fun sometimes, but overall hurts the SS13 experience.

The second server also isnt some private club for certain players. There is no reason not to move players from Sybil to Badger.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #65914

Just a few thoughts.
danno wrote:Like idling to save slots and shit, I dunno.
Catatonic/gibbed/incinerated players free up a slot for late joins.
lumipharon wrote:When you say 'observers don't count towards the cap' that sounds all well and good. So say you have 60 player cap, and 70 people, with 10 observing. But then what happens next round if all 70 people ready up? 10 people randomly just get told to fuck off by the RNG?
I'd say exclude assistants first, then move up from there.
And on the topic of assistants.

Why don't you just add a job cap for Assistants at 10 players or so, instead of making it a specific server config?

You get a handful of engineers, nobody can join as engineer anymore.
You get too many assistants, people should start being filtered into non-assistant jobs until all job roles are full.

This is a way the HoP can play a more important role by actually opening up job and PLAYER slots for people in departments that need it due to various !FUN! things that happen during the round.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
dezzmont
Byond Username: Dezzmont

Post by dezzmont » #65923

I don't mind a cap too much but it only makes any sense if the servers are otherwise identical.
Juninho77
Byond Username: Juninho77

Post by Juninho77 » #65931

Saegrimr wrote:Why don't you just add a job cap for Assistants at 10 players or so, instead of making it a specific server config?

You get a handful of engineers, nobody can join as engineer anymore.
You get too many assistants, people should start being filtered into non-assistant jobs until all job roles are full.

This is a way the HoP can play a more important role by actually opening up job and PLAYER slots for people in departments that need it due to various !FUN! things that happen during the round.
That.
Alive for 10 shifts and counting.
danno

Post by danno » #65937

god just fuck off if your reasoning against this is "i dont want the bad players from the OTHER server..............."
kill yourself already. just go for it.
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #65955

miggles wrote:my one concern is that basil will be flooded with POOPY SIBYL FOLKS if the cap is reached
on one hand this remedies the issue of 2manyplayers on sibyl, on the other, it threatens to ruin the balanced lowpop experience that basil players prefer and force those who like superhighpop to play on a server they arent used to
its worth a try for sure; i myself have been a proponent of a player cap for a while. i just hope it doesnt have any huge adverse effects.
literally nobody gives a shit about this

basil people prefer lowpop but metastation feels empty with 20 people compared to 30 or 40, which was the ideal pop for server 2 imo
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
danno

Post by danno » #65973

i'd rather have 30-40 pop with 20 extra people i can probably dunk anyways than 10-20 pop of braindeads and metabuddies
kosmos
Byond Username: Kingofkosmos

Post by kosmos » #65993

Saegrimr wrote:Why don't you just add a job cap for Assistants at 10 players or so, instead of making it a specific server config?
But what if someone's completely new to the game and joins at peak hour? They should be given an option to be assistant to learn the game unless we want Head positions filled with newbies who couldn't join otherwise.
Loonikus

Post by Loonikus » #65998

kosmos wrote:
But what if someone's completely new to the game and joins at peak hour? They should be given an option to be assistant to learn the game unless we want Head positions filled with newbies who couldn't join otherwise.
Just because a new person can't be an assistant doesn't mean they have to be the HoS. There are typically plenty of slots open for cargo techs, janitor, chaplain, or other low expectation jobs. Besides, someone already mentioned the HoP being able to open up more slots.

Back to the poll, I'm curious what all the people who voted no thought. There have already been a number of arguments made in favor of it, but very few people have explained why exactly they don't want to try this considering how close of a poll it is.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #66004

I guess quite a few Basil players are afraid of their server getting shat up with the Sybil overflow. It is a different culture.

I'll remain tentatively optimistic, since this will probably pass anyway.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Incoming
Github User
Byond Username: Incoming
Github Username: Incoming5643

Post by Incoming » #66027

Personally I think 60 people is far too low a cap, maybe 70, 80 would be safe. The problem is of course that at those limits the number of people getting "shunted" to the second server wouldn't make it high pop enough for it to replicate the sybil experience. So while it's not a terrible idea, I think we (ironically) don't have enough active players to pull it off.
Developer - Datum Antags: Feburary 2016

Poly the Parrot - All Seeing Bird Transcends Universe, Joins Twitter.

Kofi - Make A Poor Life Choice

Good ideas backed by cruddy code since 2012!
Alex Crimson

Post by Alex Crimson » #66028

As i understand it, box is designed for 40-50 players. Id say 60 is more than enough. Any higher and you are not addressing the "crowded station" issue. Most ive seen is 90+ on weekends. Maybe the server host or headmins can give us some statistics?
Incoming
Github User

Post by Incoming » #66029

The job system allows for 61 positions + an undefined number of assistants, so all stations that use those defaults job set ups are designed to accommodate at least 60 players (or at least they should be) and realistically more, as the public spaces (aka asstopia) are fairly large.

There's a paradox of change here in that there's been a fair option for people who dislike superhighpop here for a long time in the second server; I'd wager that most people actually playing on Sybil don't mind the congestion because if it was such a problem to them they wouldn't still be there at this point.

Razharas
Byond Username: Razharas

Post by Razharas » #66031

I dont like basil, i dont want to play on basil
When people prefer to be 26th assistant on sybil over playing on basil it probably tells you something about that server
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #66032

Kinda like how people would rather join a snorefest than the unorganised mess of shitlers that they perceive to be Sybil.

Honestly, the two servers are a little too different for population spilling to lead to any good.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #66033

Except in the past every time sybil has crashed and people played on basil they didn't mind and enjoyed the map for being pretty similar to boxstation

once metastation has directional signs too it won't be hard to find departments or anything either.

There are certain BOX ONLY!! people but honestly who cares they can just wait for a slot to open

alternatively, just cap assistant ffs. that way, people can join the server, but not join any jobs.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #66036

If we cap assistants we should add an exception for ckeys younger than, say, a few weeks.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #66038

This changes the "culture" of both servers.

Frankly, the reason for two seperate servers was not to cater to two different playstyles. They share the same rules and admins because they're the same game. The same community.

If you want to tell yourself that one server is better than the other and you play differently on one or the other that's all in your own head. We don't encourage or otherwise enforce that.

The two servers existed because we had too many players crammed in to one. Not because a group of people wanted a special cool kids server of their own.

I don't think I"m alone in saying we don't care about server wars or server culture being independent of one another. I'm of the perspective that we're all one community.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #66040

Not quite sure it's all just imagined, Anon, it might as well be the community shaping itself. It's not enforced, and it's no rule, but you get regulars, these regulars develop a certain playstyle, new people starting on that server may or may not follow that playstyle, chances are that playstyle becomes dominant for the server and bam. Server culture...

...in a very simplified version because damn am I tired.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Alex Crimson

Post by Alex Crimson » #66042

Incoming wrote:The job system allows for 61 positions + an undefined number of assistants, so all stations that use those defaults job set ups are designed to accommodate at least 60 players (or at least they should be) and realistically more, as the public spaces (aka asstopia) are fairly large.

There's a paradox of change here in that there's been a fair option for people who dislike superhighpop here for a long time in the second server; I'd wager that most people actually playing on Sybil don't mind the congestion because if it was such a problem to them they wouldn't still be there at this point.
Then the maximum amount of job slots + 10 Assistant slots. That should be more than enough. Even if you increased the amount of job slots, its still the same issue of having too many players on one station. Pretty sure the job slots have been increased since box was designed.
iteq

Post by iteq » #66044

the only problem i would have with this is when your average sibylshitter is forced to come to basil and just whines in OOC until a spot opens up for him on sibyl
Spoiler:
Aaron Laborde says, "YOU'RE TYPING LIKE YOU HAVE A BRISTH ACCENT BUT YOURE JUST A SAD VIRGIN"

OOC: TheBibleMelts: the only time i was repulsed by erp was when i saw lindsay donk and dawgas roleplaying out a piss-childplay fantasy

-- Administrator private message --
Admin PM from-Antonkr: You are a nigger lover.
Click on the administrator's name to reply.

OOC: Paprka: boy does talking shit get me horny
OOC: Sawrge: i am getting admin vote and iteq is getting player vote
(F) DEAD: Leo Bonhart says, "luck the only known tg player to trigger someones ptsd and cause a mental breakdown"
Word count of substantiative content of ban appeal: 87
Word count of shitpost copypasta: 195
OOC: Dannno: i fucking hate you stupid piece of shit iteq you fucking idiot one day im going to fucking ban you and you'll be gone for good faggot fuck you
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #66045

Ok here's a question I'm not sure has been asked...

What happens if the pop cap is reached, you D/C and then want to reconnect? If the server suddenly becomes full can you no longer get back on to the server? Cause that could get annoying quickly. Specially as people would essentially be removed from a round simply for connection issues.
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
Loonikus

Post by Loonikus » #66049

An0n3 wrote:This changes the "culture" of both servers.

Frankly, the reason for two seperate servers was not to cater to two different playstyles. They share the same rules and admins because they're the same game. The same community.

If you want to tell yourself that one server is better than the other and you play differently on one or the other that's all in your own head. We don't encourage or otherwise enforce that.

The two servers existed because we had too many players crammed in to one. Not because a group of people wanted a special cool kids server of their own.

I don't think I"m alone in saying we don't care about server wars or server culture being independent of one another. I'm of the perspective that we're all one community.
This. I still remember the dark days of the Server Wars, before the dawn of Badger. Those were dark days, we were practically split right down the middle as a community. I know I certainly don't want us to go back to that.

By forcing some people to move around, we eliminate the "cultural" barrier between the servers. Sybil will slow down and Basil will speed up. While there are people who prefer the Call of Spessmen: Robust Warfare style Sybil and silent as the grave style Basil, I think both servers will turn out better with a happy medium.
Alex Crimson

Post by Alex Crimson » #66058

peoplearestrange wrote:Ok here's a question I'm not sure has been asked...

What happens if the pop cap is reached, you D/C and then want to reconnect? If the server suddenly becomes full can you no longer get back on to the server? Cause that could get annoying quickly. Specially as people would essentially be removed from a round simply for connection issues.
I doubt it would be that much of an issue. But i guess rather than a server limit you could just have a job slot limit along with an unlimited number of observers.
Incoming
Github User

Post by Incoming » #66076

peoplearestrange wrote:Ok here's a question I'm not sure has been asked...

In the PR I have on this right now (https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-station/pull/7544/) the "hard" cap option is one where new players are restricted at a certain point but once someone is actually in the round there's no threat of removal if they happened to lose connection.

There's a "harder cap" I call "extreme" in that pull that will outright deny entry to the game, but I don't recommend using it by itself. specificially because of situations like what you just said.

Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #66081

iteq wrote:the only problem i would have with this is when your average sibylshitter is forced to come to basil and just whines in OOC until a spot opens up for him on sibyl
Yeah if someone just whines and whines and whines in OOC about something like that they'll quickly end up muted.

GUYS KICK SOMEONE FOR ME PLEASE ALL MY METAFRIENDS ARE ON
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Cipher3
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Cipher3

Post by Cipher3 » #66089

iteq wrote:the only problem i would have with this is when your average sibylshitter is forced to come to basil and just whines in OOC until a spot opens up for him on sibyl
Iteq for valid point master 2015.
Spoiler:
Nathanael Greene has made a woman of Bryce Pax!

Valerie Sinnet says, "Nathaniel Greene charged the brig with a fucking HONK."

[Common] Assists-the-Crew hisses, "Walker Quinn s-s-s-ss-stole the HoP's-s-s-ss-s door"

OOC: HotelBravoLima: I literally can't be removed from power.

I demand this ban be lifted right now. ~Bibliodewangus

Erin Wake whispers, "You should ready up on Badger and boink with me..."

"I think you guys are just tired of drinking hitler and now you want diet hitler.
I've got all that great hitler flavor but only half the hitler calories." - Anon3

You seem to be under the mistaken assumption that PR matters. ~MisterPerson

DEAD: Ichigo Momomiya says, "Coravin's just an ass."

Linus Johnson says, "Hey you know I got this game Skyrim last week"
Linus Johnson says, "I have a level 19 ranger and its so fun"
Weston Zadovsky says, "did he just"
Weston Zadovsky says, "fucking hell"

The emergency shuttle has been called. It will arrive in 10 minutes.
Nature of emergency:
Coravin, just Coravin.

Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Fucking get out."
Coravin Vattes asks, "Please?"
Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Please get the fuck outta my lab."
Coravin Vattes exclaims, "Okay!"
[Common] Beryl Nyuphoran {RD} asks, "WHO GAVE CORAVIN ALL ACCESS?"

Lindsay Donk stammers, "L-Luc-ck w-was-s-s s-s-such-h a beaut-tifu p-p-p-pr-r-rom-m q-q-q-queen"

Ty Andrews curls up in a ball on the floor and purrs.

by oranges » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:15 pm
Get out bluespace, you've not been relevant since you lost the elections

That said, I think there are a shitton of degenerates here and I'd probably gas the lot of you if I had the chance. ~Loonikus

deathhoof

Post by deathhoof » #66095

Tfw Lorenzo will have to migrate to server 2 sometimes and I will eventually get a chelp character appearance ban because apparently its dissalowed to use the same character on both servers.
miggles
Byond Username: Miggles

Post by miggles » #66105

deathhoof wrote:Tfw Lorenzo will have to migrate to server 2 sometimes and I will eventually get a chelp character appearance ban because apparently its dissalowed to use the same character on both servers.
what the fuck are you talking about
dezzmont wrote:I am one of sawrge's alt accounts
dezzmont wrote:sawrge has it right.
Connor wrote:miggles is correct though
deathhoof

Post by deathhoof » #66122

I've seen it a few times in people's admin notes
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #66124

Is that a rule from another server? That's hilarious.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Alex Crimson

Post by Alex Crimson » #66130

I thought the second server was just for those who didnt want to play on the overpopulated Sybil server, why would it have different rules? Hell, even if it did, how can a headmin not know about it?