sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

[RaveRadbury] SinfulBliss - STARSECTOR TALK ONLY IN PLAYERSCLUB

Post by sinfulbliss » #661192

BYOND account: SinfulBliss
Ban type: Players-club forum
Ban length: Permanent
Ban reason: Image

Your side of the story: Alright I'm not gonna sugarcoat it... This ban is retarded. I get a warning notification, then 5 min later another warning notification and ban. This post that earned the "third and final warning" to forumban me clearly isn't against the rules, it's just an opinion you disagree with.

All 3 of my warnings are from Rave. The first one was for arguing in a policythread in Dec 2021 that ERP shouldn't be added to the word filter. Off-topic apparently for a policythread discussing what words would be added to the word-filter. I asked specifically how this was off-topic, to which Rave responded: "The word was already added and was done in a recent policy thread." Completely bizarre but moving on...

Second warning was in the Typhnox peanut and is probably the meat of the ban. My post was deleted but it was something along the lines of stating ironically how Imitates got banned for """drama-stirring""" when clearly he got banned for defending loli, and only because the community made a callout video. Spicy take I know! That's not fun to read as a headmin, especially when you served in the exact term that made this decision. But banning me for criticizing the way past headmins (including you) handled that whole ordeal because it's "drama-stirring and targeted" is some self-serving wack shit.

Why you think you should be unbanned: Even if my deleted post was "drama-stirring," I absolutely should not have been then banned for saying "why is drama stirring against the rules."

Anything else we should know: Issuing three bans for "drama stirring" in the span of like a day is insane, you're having a sudden visceral reaction and none of it's justified. Timonk wasn't even remotely close to drama stirring, he quite literally wasn't even calling Imitates out, he was making fun of people that liked lolicon (horrible sin worthy of a ban). Imitates was responding to me about a completely unrelated topic - I said Sticky pressured him out of anarcho-capitalism by calling him a pedophile for it multiple times (real btw). He replied that he was genuinely convinced then gave a shout-out to how he hated loli or something with a giant wall of text.

No one targeted anyone. I didn't target Imitates in my post, Timonk didn't target him, and Imitates themselves didn't even say anything that bad in reply. What you're doing is reading these posts, seeing they tangentially bring up that past controversial loli ban, and then freaking out and banning everyone that said something about it. My one request is that literally anyone who isn't Rave read over the situation with an open mind to handle these appeals, because this is just an emotional response. He's done this before during that Dreary ban where he deleted Timber's posts and locked the whole thing because Timber disagreed with his ruling on it. I think the same thing is happening here because I wrote something a little scathing about the headmins' decision last term, and now 2 other players are caught in it.
RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: RaveRadbury
Github Username: RaveRadbury

Re: [RaveRadbury] SinfulBliss - STARSECTOR TALK ONLY IN PLAYERSCLUB

Post by RaveRadbury » #661195

Additional Info:
Ban Reason: wrote: » This is a warning regarding the following post made by you: viewtopic.php?f=83&p=661110#p661110 .

You've expressed this stance a few times and your peanut engagement reflects it. You are no longer welcome in the Player's Club.
Also I wasn't headmin last term
RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master

Post by RaveRadbury » #661270

You've made it clear that your interest in the club is in regards to stirring drama. You chose to intentionally stir drama on a topic that has been especially problematic. Posting on the forums and the discord is a privilege beyond playing the game, so if you demonstrate that you are here to make things worse for people and bring the vibe down we will swing harder than we would in-game. The player's club was designed as a special place to discuss the sensitive topic of ban appeals, have civil discourse about it, and maybe a laugh. As the creator of the club I can say with certainty that the nature of the Player's Club is to be more stringent than the forums and discord; therefore it's easier to have a ban applied, and for longer.

I have support from the headmins on this ban, it will not be overturned this term. If you'd like to take the opportunity in this appeal to have a frank discussion of how you got here and ideas on how to have a better appeal next time I'd be happy to talk to you about it. I will still take this opportunity to highlight examples that have been factored in to why this ban will remain, and it will be up to next term's headmins to decide whether or not to unban you.
sinfulbliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #661280

RaveRadbury wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:24 amYou've made it clear that your interest in the club is in regards to stirring drama.
This isn't my interest in the players' club. My interest is in expressing my opinion as a player like everyone else. If that happens to spark discussion and argument and drama then so be it, that's how disagreements work.
RaveRadbury wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:24 amYou chose to intentionally stir drama on a topic that has been especially problematic. Posting on the forums and the discord is a privilege beyond playing the game, so if you demonstrate that you are here to make things worse for people and bring the vibe down we will swing harder than we would in-game.
You gave me one (1) warning for stirring drama before banning me. The point of warning people is so they can read the warning and either appeal it or adjust their behavior. You applied two warnings within 5-minutes of one another making it impossible for me to do that, which conveniently put me at 3 for a ban because of that bizarre policythread warning a year ago.
RaveRadbury wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:24 amI have support from the headmins on this ban, it will not be overturned this term. If you'd like to take the opportunity in this appeal to have a frank discussion of how you got here and ideas on how to have a better appeal next time I'd be happy to talk to you about it. I will still take this opportunity to highlight examples that have been factored in to why this ban will remain, and it will be up to next term's headmins to decide whether or not to unban you.
Here's how I think I got here: I said things people found contentious, and eventually, after a while, it happened to be on a topic sensitive enough for blanket bans to get dropped for even bringing it up. Have you considered using your extensive powers as a headmin to set policies in place banning discussion about specific topics, instead of just banning people haphazardly when they broach them?

The Player's Club is for disagreements. If the disagreement is about headmin rulings, if it's about Imitates' ban, if it's about a policy, it doesn't matter - people should be allowed to voice their disagreements and criticisms. It bothered me people kept saying Imitates was banned for "drama-stirring," to the point where even he wrote a giant essay trying to come to terms with the "fact" he stirred drama. The truth is he never "stirred drama." He said something people found appalling, and that created drama. You talk about protecting the "vibe," yet the atmosphere was pretty lighthearted and humorous until you came in with the banhammer and whacked 3 of us.

You aren't protecting the Players' Club and you aren't protecting its atmosphere. If you hadn't stepped into that thread, absolutely nothing negative would have resulted from it. Your enforcement there was emotional at best and vindictive at worst, and in the end all it will do is slightly dull the forums and dry up conversation. Truly only someone who built the Club could smother it to death in the way you're doing.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #661296

I have support from the headmins on this ban, it will not be overturned this term.
Everyone has the right to a headmin review, since you are both the banning admin and a headmin this creates the undesirable situation of being the only person to handle this without possibility of appeal. It would be better if the other headmins handled it and voice their opinions on it.
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #661306

CPTANT wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:40 am
I have support from the headmins on this ban, it will not be overturned this term.
Everyone has the right to a headmin review, since you are both the banning admin and a headmin this creates the undesirable situation of being the only person to handle this without possibility of appeal. It would be better if the other headmins handled it and voice their opinions on it.
The usual process for when a headmin is the one who's placed a ban is that the other two weigh in on it and make a joint decision on whether or not it stands. We don't have a process regarding what happens if they disagree on it, but it's never really happened.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Timberpoes

Post by Timberpoes » #661331

Overturning bans basically just requires 2 headmins to agree to overturn it. (This is the most usual form of headmin charter agreed, each term can decide to handle things differently)

So it's usually just a majority vote of 2-to-1 required.

But there's nothing special about headmin bans. Think of the banning headmin as an automatic +1 for upholding their own ban in any vote.

If either of the two remaining headmins agree, the ban will basically stay because at least two out of three headmins support it. The alternative is proxy bans, where a headmin states that they'd **really support** [x] ban on [y] person, which is basically saying they'd uphold a ban on appeal because they think the player should be banned.

That's kinda the entire hook of being a headmin. If you want something to happen, you're already 1/3rd of the votes in favour of it happening. They're elected to lead, not to read.

It's also important to point out that the people whom can actually do granular forum bans are extremely limited. It's basically just headmins, MSO and site admins. This makes forum moderation tricky, because the tools deployed by GMs and global board mods are likely to be "slap-on-the-wrist" level up until the point a headmin or site admin gets involved, in which case the full power of phpBB's permission setup gets unleashed.

If I'm correct, not even global forum mods like Arm have the necessary permission set (which I'm led to believe is simular to what GMs have). So almost all fancy forum bans will, if appealed during the term they're made, almost universally be from the headmins or MSO. It's very rare appealable forum bans are handed out by site admins these days.
/tg/station Codebase Maintainer
/tg/station Game Master/Discord Jannie: Feed me back in my thread.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Feb 2022-Sep 2022 Host Vote Headmin
Mar 2023-Sep 2023 Admin Vote Headmin
The Wrench
Byond Username: The Wrench

Post by The Wrench » #661373

I'm not positive if this is considered a Peanut post, but sinful, you could always request MSO to weigh in on this to help negate any conflict of interest
sinfulbliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #661511

Timberpoes wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:16 pmThat's kinda the entire hook of being a headmin. If you want something to happen, you're already 1/3rd of the votes in favour of it happening. They're elected to lead, not to read.
Becoming aware of this. I’m not sure this is even something I can request but if MSO would be willing to take a glance that would be much appreciated.

I don’t think there’s a snowball’s chance in hell the other two headmins stick their noses out to ensure the rules are being applied fairly on behalf of 2 random forumposters who often critique admins. Particularly when the guy they’d be overruling made the Players’ Club. I can only envision MSO giving this and the other two bans a fair unbiased treatment, but he has no obligation to obviously.
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master

Post by Timberpoes » #661518

The Headmin Condition is disagreeing over issues on a daily basis. No player should ever assume the headmins are unwilling or unable to disagree with other headmin decisions. Any time there's an appeal ending without a unanimous vote (so a 2-1 vote), that means two headmins overruled one headmin.

The headmin team will be discussing your ban internally like any other appeal, they will come to a final decision, work out how to communicate that decision publicly and you'll get that response here when it's done.

I also guarantee MSO 100% already knows about your Player's Club ban, this appeal and all internal discussions about it - both in headmin-private and adminteam-private.

Speaking from experience? When summoning MSO into something your cause better be objectively righteous. I'd exercise restraint when calling MSO into relatively minor topics that basically fall under headmin discretion. One finger on the Monkey's Paw curls.

From viewtopic.php?f=83&t=30504
Rules will be enforced as if this was a hybrid between general chat and off topic for now, This will get refined in due time.
We may end up seeing such rule refinement as part of this appeal. The Player's Club has had time to settle and be seen in action. Or we may not.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
sinfulbliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #661535

Timberpoes wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:38 am The headmin team will be discussing your ban internally like any other appeal, they will come to a final decision, work out how to communicate that decision publicly and you'll get that response here when it's done.
RaveRadbury wrote:I have support from the headmins on this ban, it will not be overturned this term.
Not sure what to make of what you just said when Rave has copy-pasted this onto all 3 of our appeal threads.
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Post by MrStonedOne » #661553

I'm too sick of drama about or related to the™ video™ to intervene in minor subforum bans connected to it.
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
NSFW:
sinfulbliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #661555

MrStonedOne wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:11 pm I'm too sick of drama about or related to the™ video™ to intervene in minor subforum bans connected to it.
Understandable. See you guys next term then I guess if I bother appealing it then.
Spoiler:
san7890
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: San7890
Github Username: san7890

Post by san7890 » #661621

Here's the exact message I sent to Rave after they mentioned banning you from the forums. The post I reference in the latter half of that message is the inciting event that led to this ban.

I am very biased on the matter having seen how you conduct yourself in all three locations:
Discord
Forums
In-game

My opinion of you has been formulated through the interactions with you in each of those three contexts, and they all appear to be the same. I think sometimes it wasn't serious when I was telling you to stop versus it being casual discussion (like in https://discord.com/channels/3268221442 ... 8755057744, where you mentioned a topic out of the blue and I accosted you over it). There's a few more instances that I read about (multikeying ban sometime around then where you gaslit admins about your activities rather than fess up to it (you did eventually, tens of Discord conversations about people getting irritiated over the way you talk about topics)). this isn't related to gameplay, it's related to you as a person who talks.

the fact of the matter is, i am biased strongly against you sinful. as soon as rave started dredging up all of the stuff that i already knew about to justify their ban, i already knew and was in support of it. two years of absorbing you has made me feel this way. it's a shame because you have good ideas at times and are often the voice of reason, but grossly 80% of the negative things people bring up about you are things that I can agree with, but I can ultimately forgive these. The fact that someone was finally willing to queue up the white ball and sink you into a corner pocket was something that I couldn't allow myself to block in any capacity, because the way you have consistently interacted with the community furnishes a wide backdrop to provide crystal-clear clarity for the spotlight to shine on any misdeed you commit.

my bias clouds me. i am a biased person against you. there is no way that i can allow myself to overturn what rave obviously thought was a good idea given how i feel about you.

It seems that you've already resigned yourself to the fate of appealing again next term, which is fine to be honest. You didn't have a fair shot this time around because of me. I figure I should at least give you an explanation into my personal thoughts going into this ban rather than what appear to me blindly nodding my head to whatever someone else says. I am as well informed (or maybe even more informed) on you than anyone should be, to be honest. I'll do you a courtesy, and if that future term decides to ping me in some backchannel asking for my thoughts on overturning this ban. I don't think they will ping me about it personally. I will not speak any more on the matter (in any private channel, and I won't allow myself to bring it up in a public capacity (someone has to specifically bring it up to me)). I will just link them back to this post.

You deserve a fair shot and a fresh set of eyes to review your behavior and come to a fair conclusion. I think after writing all of this out, I would have rather not said it at all... but you should at least know why there is such backing.

I hate starsector talk too btw

edit: i made a claim i shouldn't have made in retrospect which has now been edited out.
Simultaneously making both the best and worst jokes on the internet. I like looking at maps and code. Learn how to map today!. You may rate me here.
sinfulbliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #661629

When I requested headmin review, I wanted someone to review the ban, not write a hit-piece on me and start pointing fingers at me goofing around in Discord or a game ban from 2021, neither of which have anything to do with whether or not I violated players-club rules in saying "why is drama stirring banned."
san7890 wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:13 am my bias clouds me. i am a biased person against you. there is no way that i can allow myself to overturn what rave obviously thought was a good idea given how i feel about you.
san7890 wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:13 amYou deserve a fair shot and a fresh set of eyes to review your behavior and come to a fair conclusion.
You're right, that's what was deserved. This is what headmins are for. That's why review was requested.

You and Rave have stirred more drama with this than anything my and Timonk's posts could've dreamed to create. I'm sure you'll say that's unintentional - that you were both just giving your opinions and discussing the matter. Well guess what fucko, that's no different than what we were doing! We just say it in a slightly sillier way so it can be laughed about instead of coming across as a hateful rant.

I'm not going to fire back at you because I know some deranged part of you thinks this is just you sharing your thoughts. But next time have the slightest bit of self-awareness. I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master

Post by RaveRadbury » #661645

I've been trying to put together a bunch of quotes with highlights this week, it's been a lot of work and I've had things come up in my personal life that have made it difficult to get it all together. I apologize for not providing supporting posts to this appeal sooner. I still don't have the highlights ready but I do have the source material and the arguments so I'm going to put those down now and hope to have the highlights finished before the weekend is over.

At first glance Sinful's arguments might seem a bit confusing and erratic, or as Sans put it "disgusting bait and then backtracing". This is rooted in a gimmick of playing devil's advocate. Sinful and Bonermaster committed to the gimmick in some long forgotten peanut, and if you go through posts you can find instances of it happening. It's a well-known habit for the rhetorically gifted to enjoy jumping into conversations to take the underdog side in an argument, but like all gifts it needs to be tempered because people get sick of it.

I've found this post by Sinful to be a very good window into his thinking and motivation for peanut posting.
sinfulbliss wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:15 am I post pretty much everything uhhh.
Also as long as you're being ironic you can't hurt public opinion of yourself that's the beauty of being ironic!!
Unless your irony is transparent and someone can see it reflects something really fucked up that you'd rather hide.
I dunno that's the cool thing about the internet, you can say really wild shit you would never be able to say IRL and as a result it can make for some pretty hilarious moments or very interesting conversations that you'd never be able to discuss IRL.

I have said some pretty fucked up stuff online but because it's online I don't care and it's usually just to be funny or cause some sort of drama (everyone loves good drama).
As long as your intention is pure and it isn't like, warped, you're fine...
(If you click the little arrow in the quote it will lead you to that post on the forums, where you can see a few posts further down he's openly larping the lawyer gimmick)
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Sinful likes to champion freedom of all-out no-filter expression as the ultimate form of entertaining discourse. He puts a lot of emphasis on authenticity as the reason it should be allowed, even though he acknowledges that even at best people going all out on each other only might cause them to find common ground at the end. He's skilled in rhetoric: he knows how to frame attempts to shift the overton window as innocent questioning, he knows how to use irony as a shield, he knows how to use criticizing authority as a shield. Mind, this administrative team is the same team that let him back in after he multikeyed over 200 rounds so he could powergame as HoS. In his ban reason he states the reason he stopped was because it was inefficient and caused computer issues, not because it's basically the worst form of cheating we have and ruins the experience for everyone (especially if you're using it to powergame sec, but I digress.)
Hidden Content
The worst part of it all is that Sinful was basically in a position not too far from Typhnox's a while back. By defending two rule 8 bans, one involving underaged content, people were starting to ask questions. The video could have just as easily been about Sinful. But when someone happens to fall in the same position that Sinful did (and without the same rhetorical skills that Sinful has), Sinful's response is to continually bring up the drama, post a direct link to the video, and undermine any possible resolution that Typhnox had accomplished. The undermining was so successful that it baited Typhnox into yet another one of his responses that makes him look bad. So yeah, when we're trying to avoid witch hunts, posting "A man convinced against his will, is of the same opinion still." doesn't really help, and claiming that we're just trying to censor him for being too authentic and just asking questions is really dishonest.

Sinful asserts that the player's club should be a place of conflict, that it should be defined by it. He acts in accordance with that belief. Conflict is bound to happen within a community, but generally it should not be defined by it. There are communities built around debate and intense discussion of heavy topics, they are specialized for that purpose. This is a niche community that has a history of helpful hard-working people being driven out of the community by drama. The original hut had a bad habit of people using irony as a shield to say really horrible things, and no one was willing to deal with any of it because "it's the hut, it will go away in a second". The posts went away, but the community members didn't come back.

You might be able to handle intense, heavy discussion, Sinful, but a lot of people don't have the stomach for it. Not wanting to have this stuff in the community doesn't make somebody weak or a pussy. Even if you want to frame it as a weakness, the people who you'd imply are weak for that are strong in a lot of ways that you don't provide. I'd rather not see people leave because you won't put down unsavory arguments and behavior. Because then multiple people will be gone and you'll still be here, doing your thing, turning people away.

You say that by removing you from the Player's Club that it'll become a ghost town, both through your absence and the message your ban sends. I doubt that.

Here's what I have for pulled quotes that show what I'm talking about. I've highlighted some of them. Some of them might be redundant or not strong points, I'll be tightening all this up over the next few days.
Hidden Content
And nah man, this whole ban is way less dramatic than anything you've done up to this point. The host washed his hands of this appeal because the whole thing spun up into too much dumb drama, and you had no small part in that.
sinfulbliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #661651

RaveRadbury wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:10 am -rant-
I'm frankly amazed you've spent hours obsessively digging up every little scrap from me that you could possibly find. What's the goal exactly? I can't even view these threads since you banned me from viewing them! Who exactly are you talking to? Is it to me?

I don't think it is! I think you're talking to all the players reading this and seeing how much of a controlling, emotional, neurotic headmin you're showing yourself to be, and this only highlights it. From saying I might as well be the guy defending loli (two subtle accusations of being a pedo by two different headmins in the same appeal, wow!) to waving a 2-year-old ban in my face, it reads as both desperate and pathetic.

Let me remind you what this ban was for since it's clear you forgot somewhere along the hateboner you've been stroking for me: I said "why is drama-stirring against the rules." Nothing in your quote collection received a warning. RaveRadbury remained silent and quiet for every single last quote, until he became headmin of course, and now he shows in full display how uncomfy and upset they made him by waving his big swinging hammer around. If you had the balls to speak your mind about things you felt passionately about from the getgo, instead of waiting until you're in your little headmin dictator chair where you can control the dialogue by force, maybe you'd earn the respect you so desperately crave from the playerbase.
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master

Post by Timberpoes » #661672

While Rule 2 of the FNR forum rules...
If you are not directly involved with the appeal (You are the guy who was banned, you saw what happened, you were his victim, etc.) then do not post in the appeal. Repetitive ignoring of this rule will lead to your FNR posting privileges being revoked until further notice
... Makes mention of people that saw what happened, victims etc, I would not consider the spirit of that rule to apply to community moderation, since it technically opens the door for every single forum poster (or in Discord appeals, every single Discord member) to dive in with "I saw [incident] and I have uninformed opinions [x], [y] and indeed [z] on it."

No, you're not being silenced, you're just posting in the wrong place. There is a wonderful thread from wheres't thou cans't throw thine peanuts at this appeal's performers. It's located in the Player's Club: viewtopic.php?f=83&t=33102

If you want to put your opinion about this ban on record but you're not the headmins or Sinful, that's your place. You can join everyone else providing their insightful commentary on this appeal, plus the processes and history that led to it.

New peanut posts in this appeal past this point will likely be met with you being put on post approval. I don't care how small and tiny and insignificant your peanut is.
RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master

Post by RaveRadbury » #661675

This ban was made for a trend of posting that was diffuse enough to not warrant immediate action over any one post. The appellant has further demonstrated their posting and rhetorical style in this appeal. They are committed to opposing the intended atmosphere of a community forum, specifically in regards to peanut discussions.

Future teams should consider carefully whether they would like to re-introduce this content into the community.