The Darkest Dungeon: 2.5D Dark Souls

Talk about video games here
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays
Byond Username: DrPillzRedux

The Darkest Dungeon: 2.5D Dark Souls

Post by DrPillzRedux » #66161

The Darkest Dungeon is a dungeon crawling roguelike. You choose 4 hero's from 13 classes to go into dungeons and clear them, all while carrying an abundance of torches to stay sane and tents to rest. These characters can go insane and gain a bunch of traits from within dungeons. Combat is turn based and heavily reliant on dice rolls. Rewards you gain in dungeons allow you to upgrade your hamlet, which lets you treat hero's for insanity, bad traits, buying skills and upgrades, and to recruit new hero's. Be warned that if your favorite hero dies, he's gone forever.

Currently in early access on Steam, it carries a $20 price tag that is quite well earned. The devs update the game constantly and listen to the community. With tons of replayability and satisfying combat, this is a must have for anyone who liked the concept behind the game Rogue Legacy and the dark themes of Dark Souls.

Beautiful, soothing hamlet music:

What you hear when your torch burns out:

thot_slayer wrote:don't be a degenerate online if you don't want people to treat you like a degenerate morty
bandit wrote:what is this

a correct post by pillz
miggles
Byond Username: Miggles

Re: The Darkest Dungeon: 2.5D Dark Souls

Post by miggles » #66167

nah salt and sanctuary is 2d dark souls good try though
dezzmont wrote:I am one of sawrge's alt accounts
dezzmont wrote:sawrge has it right.
Connor wrote:miggles is correct though
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #66169

I said 2.5D faget the backgrounds are 2.5d

please
thot_slayer wrote:don't be a degenerate online if you don't want people to treat you like a degenerate morty

a correct post by pillz
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays
Byond Username: An0n3

Post by Timbrewolf » #66174

Does look really good. I convinced myself NOT to buy it earlier because it could be the death of Space House.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
srifenbyxp
Byond Username: Srifenbyxp

Post by srifenbyxp » #66191

Playint it now and it's bredy gud. How do you remove negative traits? First quest fucked up my crusader just bad.
To be robust is not about combat prowess, it is the state of readiness for the situation at hand.
Balut
Byond Username: Balut

Post by Balut » #66198

I backed this on Kickstarter but haven't really been keeping up. I can play it now then huh? Sweet.
"Yeah, they're kick-ass robot pilots!" "But they sing and dance!" "They launch from a secret base..." "...that's right under the opera house!"
Sakura Wars
Spoiler:
Malkevin wrote:
No no, I don't want to be surrounded by spergs
An0n3 wrote:
Why are you here then?
http://sam.wileycomputerworks.com/SS13/
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #66200

Its good, but its also hard.
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #66205

srifenbyxp wrote:Playint it now and it's bredy gud. How do you remove negative traits? First quest fucked up my crusader just bad.
Keep playing until you unlock the sanitarium. Upgrade the wagon early so you can get cannon fodder though.

a correct post by pillz
capi duffman
Byond Username: Capi duffman

Post by capi duffman » #66210

Yesterday a friend recommended this game to me, so I thought about asking for opinions in here too.

I'm not sure about giving 20€ for an early access, since EA is cancer and should disappear or die in a fire, but that art looks nice, and insanity is fun.
srifenbyxp

Post by srifenbyxp » #66242

Ho-ho-ly shit this is unforgiving, after losing 13 people I fucked all and just restarted and this was my best run so far. Played an extra 5 hours and managed to beat the necromancer! My best guys a level 3 crusader and he's the god dam batman with good gear. A FUCKING SHAME HES BAT SHIT INSANE WITH 7 BAD TRAITS

No homo but god dam that narration give me a stiff dick, until he says mortality realized then I just frown. This game sure likes to bull shit you quite often, its better to travel without torches than with them. My peeps are all level 1 and some are 2 with my main being 3. 0 Dead but then again I keep pussing out when things look bad, I might even do a screen shot story and name my heroes IC names.
To be robust is not about combat prowess, it is the state of readiness for the situation at hand.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #66269

Steelpoint wrote:Its good, but its also hard.
That's what she said.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
srifenbyxp

Post by srifenbyxp » #66292

Spoke too soon, full party wipe. At least batman wasn't killed.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #66775

Just bought this. No clue what I"m fucking doing. Going to stream it anyway.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
srifenbyxp

Post by srifenbyxp » #66821

1. Upgrade your stage coach so you can get more meat.
2. Try to get 8 people meat total as fast as possible.
3. Run short dungeons as much as possible in the beginning.
4. Always get at least 8-12 food, 1 shovel and 1 key. On medium dungeons I normally get 12-18 for feasting at camp and a few heals from traps.
5. Don't bring torches, enemies won't get a back attack as much as advertised.
6. Never loot when light is above 25% excluding bags.
7. Bosses are normally at the far end of the dungeon, use a camp fire to recover HP/stress. Anyone that has DMG+ Large enemies buff them.
8. Try to upgrade in this order: Weapon - Armor - Skill - Camp Skill
9. Cry
10. This game loves to bullshit you, HOLY SHIT EGALE EYE, THE ENTIRE ENEMY TEAM MANAGED TO DODGE ALL OF YOUR ATTACKS AND ALL HIT CRITS? SEEMS LEGIT!

Possible set up are:

Front: Crusader/Leper/Hellion/ [Highwayman/Bounty Hunter-Back closest to the front works as well]
Back: Vestal/Occultist/Plague Doctor

I never use jesters or grave robbers because their skills don't pay the bills.

Skill set up.

Crusader:
Smite
Zealous Accusation
Stunning Blow
Holy Lance

Forgot his healing skill name but if your going to bring a second Crusader it helps but can only be used in the front. So replace Stunning Blow with it, Holy Lance is very well needed for boss fights and hitting back rows, recovery from back attacks and knock backs.

Leper:
Chop
Hew
Solemnity
Anything else

Hellion:
Iron Swan
Adrenaline Rush
Starting regular attack
Skill that attacks 3 enemies

At work on break and cant recall some skill names

Highwayman:
Grapeshot Blast
Open Vein
Pistol Shot
Anything else

Grapeshot Blast along with Archers rings is guaranteed to hit, use camp skill Clean Guns and watch people drop quick.

Bounty hunter:
Collect Bounty
Mark Target
Finish Him
Hook and Slice or Come Hither

Vestal:
Divine Grace
Dazzling Light
Judgement
Illumination

Divine Comfort seems like a good investment but with the heavy damage that people fling around it's pretty much useless. Maybe max it out but I've yet to unlock rank 5 skills.

Occultist:
Wyrd Reconstruction
Abyssal Artillery
Hands from the Abyss
Anything else / Get Vulnerability Hex if a Bounty Hunter is in your party

Plague Doctor:
Blinding Gas
Noxious Blast
Battlefield Medicine
Plague Grenade
Last edited by srifenbyxp on Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #66829

If you let the light run low people start accumulating stress like fucking crazy though.

You're not the first person I've seen say FUCK TORCHES but I don't understand the benefit to letting the light run out.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #66833

Not to mention that being over 75 light will give a good chance of stunning the attackers for the first round.
Big Faggot
Byond Username: Floof5467

Post by Big Faggot » #66835

what does this have to do with dark souls it looks like some turn based flash game
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #66839

Really over lepers. None of the skills they can get function in the back 2 rows (even their self heal) or are ranged so soon as you meet anything nasty in the back or moving them around they basically become useless. Also abysmal base acc requiring burned turns to fix. Their self defense buff is nice but eh too samey to crusaders to justify the class alone. Yes I had a very bad encounter with a cauldron. Crusaders do the melee tank thing more but are more versatile. If they could buff and heal themselves in the back I might mix em with moving classes but eh big dumb eleperhant wasting turns.

Other than that game is fantastic. Stress healing skills seem a bit weak which is a shame for jesters and all but eh might be tweaked latter.
Last edited by Incomptinence on Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
srifenbyxp

Post by srifenbyxp » #66840

An0n3 wrote:If you let the light run low people start accumulating stress like fucking crazy though.

You're not the first person I've seen say FUCK TORCHES but I don't understand the benefit to letting the light run out.
You get more loot and less prone from getting afflictions/trapped from stuff like animal corpses, trees,urns, books, ETC. Yeah people get stressed more and accumulate 2-5 stress randomly while not in combat whilst not as often you think it does but considering that if you manage to take dudes down quick and fast it's worth not bringing your night light. Most of the time room battles are your nightmares, battles in hallways can sometimes get messy but that's about it.
Plus you get a large bonus towards critical hits. I also like lepers for their Hew attack, deals more damage than a crusaders Zealous Accusation on a regular basis.
Last edited by srifenbyxp on Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #66841

Well might do dim light with suicide meat for gold squads then. Since I ain't going to keep them around to heal their madness anyway.

Less light making it easier to find things seems quite weird though.
srifenbyxp

Post by srifenbyxp » #66842

Shit son I send my best men on gold runs, quicker I kill less stress I get.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #66845

I was shreking it up earlier with a team of (in order from back to front)

Occultist -> Grave Robber -> Vestal -> Hellion

The occultist is top-fucking-tier and every party needs one. In addition to having a potentially huge single target heal his ability to grab and yank annoying fucking archers and mages from the enemies back ranks and drag them to the front is great. The Grave Robber seems to have decent ACC and CRT combined with solid damage dealing multihit attacks and some vicious single target lunge attacks in case you need her to take the front for a second. Vestal is really good support, her party-wide heal gives you a fucking TON of net HP back every turn, her ranged abilities aren't terrible, and she has decent HP and defenses to help soak up damage. The Hellion is a goddamn death machine. Her ability to slash all three of the closest enemies is ridiculous for sheer damage output, alternating with her other ability to put a major hurt on a single target and a utility that lets her stun the two front enemies.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #66848

I finished my first 4 log dungeon

The hell my guys have seen

a correct post by pillz
srifenbyxp

Post by srifenbyxp » #66888

Made these by the way.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #66894

Undertaker is a cool dude just relaxing in any drat way all the time.

Almost feel bad interrupting his brothel church marathon with corpses.
ColonicAcid
Byond Username: ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #66901

An0n3 wrote:I was shreking it up earlier with a team of (in order from back to front)

Occultist -> Grave Robber -> Vestal -> Hellion

The occultist is top-fucking-tier and every party needs one. In addition to having a potentially huge single target heal his ability to grab and yank annoying fucking archers and mages from the enemies back ranks and drag them to the front is great. The Grave Robber seems to have decent ACC and CRT combined with solid damage dealing multihit attacks and some vicious single target lunge attacks in case you need her to take the front for a second. Vestal is really good support, her party-wide heal gives you a fucking TON of net HP back every turn, her ranged abilities aren't terrible, and she has decent HP and defenses to help soak up damage. The Hellion is a goddamn death machine. Her ability to slash all three of the closest enemies is ridiculous for sheer damage output, alternating with her other ability to put a major hurt on a single target and a utility that lets her stun the two front enemies.
Occultists bleed ability on that heal is bullshit tho.
>heal for 1 because rng and doesn't resist bleed.
lmao you're now at deaths door.
crack is whack but smacks got your back
ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #66913

also why the fuck do crits give people stress that's fucking dumb.
"OH LOOK WE JUST ONE SHOT SOMEONE WOW IM SO FUCKING STRESSED RN I COUDLN'T MURDERBONE HIM"
actually that kind of makes sense if all the people you were with played on sybil.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #66914

Hitting a critical hit on a enemy tends to actually decrease stress in not only the person who struck it, but maybe other people in the party.

I would be surprised if there was a chance for a party member to actually gain stress if someone gets a crit, unless there's a negative trait you could get that does that.
M0nsoon
Byond Username: ShadowHunterOO

Post by M0nsoon » #66921

Whoever gets critted WILL lose sanity, and everyone else has a chance to lose it as well, so if RNG doesn't like you those faggot bandit's with blanket fire will drive you insane ingame and out of game.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #66922

I thought we were talking about someone dealing crits, not being crited?
ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #66924

Oh, it releases stress?
I thought it was giving them stress.
That solves it then.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #66987

I have a vestal who has this pious trait that prevents her from doing anything but meditating
And she recently got a negative trait from meditating that prevents her from meditating again.

She's stuck being unable to reduce stress until I send her to the asylum and get that cleaned off of her.

THANKS RNG.

I'd have to go back and look at the recording to see what happened but I had a Jester kill himself because of stress while at death's door. He straight up commit suicide.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #66990

yeah i think that ahppens if they're irrational.
it happened to my plague doctor as well.
Balut

Post by Balut » #67016

Yeah one of my Jesters wasted one of his turns fucking himself up a little when he was... apathetic, or something like that. And that fucking tendency for the game to slap contradictory stress relief restrictions on characters man.

Occultists are pretty great. That heal is pretty fucking useful, so long as you aren't relying on it to fix dudes that are already almost dead.

Plague Docs are pretty nice too. I think their poison-curing ability also fixes bleeding, so they're probably useful with the Occultists, and they have nades that seem to very reliably stun the back two rows.

Hellions similarly have attacks that stun reliably and hit the front two rows too. Also that one attack that hits like the first three ranks, good times.

I'm not sure if it's just me or what, but the Crusader seems to miss a fucking ridiculous amount. Stunning Blow seems to miss most of the time and stun about half those times for me. They ARE pretty versatile though I guess, and Righteous Accusation is really nice against undead.

Jesters are pretty nice, though I might be biased because mine has a stupid amount of book-bonuses that make him go first every turn. Combined with that one +accuracy song he has, he's mitigated my Leper's and thatpistolguy's grape shot inaccuracy pretty good. As a bonus, whenever he gets displaced by someone moving behind him, he can nail both the center ranks with Harvest.

I've only lost one guy so far am I doing it wrong.
"Yeah, they're kick-ass robot pilots!" "But they sing and dance!" "They launch from a secret base..." "...that's right under the opera house!"
Sakura Wars
Spoiler:
Malkevin wrote:
An0n3 wrote:
Why are you here then?
ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #67030

Bounty hunter with the healer lady is better tbh.

The pull can crit for fuckin hooge amounts and his bounty collector and finish him do redoncolous damage sometimes bordering on ~30 damage area on the early game with nothing upgraded if it crits.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #67045

Yeah but he has a to waste a turn marking people for that to happen.

He might crit for 30 after doing so, but a hellion using her one strike that leaves her debuffed can hit whomever is in the front rank pretty reliably for 24 damage crits every turn. Combined with her ability to slap so many guys around at the same time and throw stuns at the front ranks to buy time for the group, she's fucking great.

Her only downside is that of the three (Crusader/Bounty Hunter/Hellion) she seems to be the squishiest.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Balut

Post by Balut » #67050

>Not just using your Occultist for Marking.
Sakura Wars
Spoiler:
Malkevin wrote:
An0n3 wrote:
Why are you here then?
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #67059

That shit never works. The mark never procs.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #67079

I see the mark proc a lot. You might have a bug, copious dodging or wrong skill as I don't think there is even a resistance against marks. Now plague doctor/any stun trying to lesser combo with bounty hunter that is finicky.

Now hellion I like the better range and synergy with occultist. Bleed curing self buff and 10% more bleed resistance than is normal? 2 occultist 2 hellion works well pretty mindlessly.
Zellion
Byond Username: Zellion

Post by Zellion » #67087

yeah man if you get an occultist back row for support you can just mark people to get gibbed by the bounty hunter, its literally best strat. Get a doctor in front of the occultist to vapor the bounty hunter for extra damage.
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #67165

Resistances rise with level and wyrd reconstruction ups by like possible heal 4 a level. Who knew titty twisters could be so effective.
miggles

Post by miggles » #67228

i just had 3 of my party members die because they refused to do anything due to stress
only my highwayman survived, who was at deaths door for like 5 minutes, ran into a bunch of skeletons, and somehow managed to dodge/not proc death for the entire fight
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #67325

Incomptinence wrote:Resistances rise with level and wyrd reconstruction ups by like possible heal 4 a level. Who knew titty twisters could be so effective.
Japan was right all along. Tentacle molestation is the secret to a healthy life.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Zellion
Byond Username: Zellion

Post by Zellion » #67390

> light up torch right before entering room for max light, have bounty hunter tracking buff
> you were surprised! Party shuffles, bandits go first
> blanket fire crit! blanket fire crit!

Why go on living
Why usr torches ever
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #67404

What I really dislike is 1 damage crits that make the party go NOOO 1 DAMAGE NOOO. Crits for 1 damage abilities really should do something.
ExplosiveCrate
Byond Username: ExplosiveCrate

Post by ExplosiveCrate » #67528

How do you make the Grave Digger work? She seems to do much less damage than anyone else and the only upside I can see is being able to use a standard 100% damage melee attack from the third row.
i dont even know what the context for my signature was
miggles

Post by miggles » #67541

shes pretty much a worse highwayman tbh
dagger throw is like grapeshot but not as good and she has some weird evasive abilities that i guess?? could be useful if you want to run away or something but i don't like them
every party needs either a cultist or vestal in the back row for the heal. rng seems to favor me when using reconstruction, most of the time.

how do you make the best use of a leper? seems like you almost always have to spend the first turn focusing so you can actually hit things
ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #67553

You don't how leper simple as that. Also fuck the witch she's gay af and the pot ability is fucking stupid.
srifenbyxp

Post by srifenbyxp » #67651

miggles wrote:shes pretty much a worse highwayman tbh
dagger throw is like grapeshot but not as good and she has some weird evasive abilities that i guess?? could be useful if you want to run away or something but i don't like them
every party needs either a cultist or vestal in the back row for the heal. rng seems to favor me when using reconstruction, most of the time.

how do you make the best use of a leper? seems like you almost always have to spend the first turn focusing so you can actually hit things

I just spam Hew and 2/3 times it hits, long dungeons aren't long at all by the way. Really don't need 2 logs but I managed to beat the Hag in hard dungeon, holy shit bat man 5 hp per anyone's turn and 25 pot HP. That pot has some fuckign evasive skills too.
Balut

Post by Balut » #67736

I bring my Jester with my Leper and make him use the one +accuracy buff.
Sakura Wars
Spoiler:
Malkevin wrote:
An0n3 wrote:
Why are you here then?