Janitor's "Light Fixture Creater tool"

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Yealsey

Janitor's "Light Fixture Creater tool"

Post by Yealsey » #6820

So there's a Light re-Placement tool... Why not have the ability to CREATE light fixtures in needed or rather unnecessary areas around the station?
Jeb
Byond Username: Stapler2025

Re: Janitor's "Light Fixture Creater tool"

Post by Jeb » #6822

Because it's not hard to carry around a stack of metal, which gets you 25 large light fixtures and a couple coils of cable?

It's already possible to make lights, for both tube (2 sheets) and bulb (1 sheet, dimmer light).
Guy that made a thing that got put on the homepage of /tg/station13
Defeated in the Great Purge of 2014
[Security] Fiz Bump says, "Beats me, I'm not a scientist. But this is a problem that can be solved with harmbatons."
Johnson Fitzwell asks, "HOW THE FUCK ARE YOU STILL ALIVE?"
Yealsey

Post by Yealsey » #6825

Well not all of us like to carry all that stuff around.
Jeb

Post by Jeb » #6826

>doesn't want to carry 1 stack of metal, 1 coil of cable, 1 box of lights

>wants a click2win device that makes light fixtures, that would inevitably need to be filled with metal and cable.
[Security] Fiz Bump says, "Beats me, I'm not a scientist. But this is a problem that can be solved with harmbatons."
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #6830

No, stop being lazy - this isn't and shouldn't be an instant gratification game
Psyentific
Byond Username: Psyentific

Post by Psyentific » #6863

Malkevin wrote:No, stop being lazy - this isn't and shouldn't be an instant gratification game
^

If you really want to go the extra mile as a janitor, get some soap and a spray bottle full of space cleaner - Those are in your pocket. Get a toolbelt w/ cablecoil to make light fixtures in maint. Take some metal to make light fixtures, take some carrots from Botany/Garden/MaintBotany to make X-Ray cameras in certain locations (Dorms, Maint alcoves). Take some proxy sensors from Tech storage or maint, use those to make motion-sensor cameras by the toxins mass driver and inside external airlocks.
I haven't logged into SS13 in at least a year.
Jeb

Post by Jeb » #6873

Analyzers not carrots.
Psyentific

Post by Psyentific » #6883

It's analyzers? Really? Those things in every single mechanical toolbox that nobody but atmos uses? Holy shit. Time to X-ray cam everything forever.
Jeb

Post by Jeb » #6887

Hasn't been carrots for a while now, analyzers actually make more sense though.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #6901

Malkevin wrote:No, stop being lazy - this isn't and shouldn't be an instant gratification game
The sentiment behind this sentence is "I know mechanic X, which makes me smarter than other people. If mechanic X changes such that other people can use it as effectively as me, you'll invalidate my skills and, by extension, me personally. I'm way too much of a child to stand an ego hit, thus I must try as hard as possible to keep mechanic X hard-to-use rather than realize that making mechanic X easier to use would improve the game and make it funner not only for all those other people, but for me as well". This greatly pisses me off. I don't even care what someone's stance is; once they reveal they have this kind of juvenile logic, I know to disregard them out-of-hand.

I don't think the solution is a tool to build lights. That's extremely specific and only helps the janitor and not other people who may want to build lights like engineers. A better construction interface would be great for this since it helps everyone. Something like table crafting, that's something I love. Even better if we didn't need frames like camera frames, APC frames, light frames, etc. Those are just plain dumb.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
Psyentific

Post by Psyentific » #6930

No, person. I'm against this because creating a light fixture is something that's easy to do, but something you also need to know how to do. I'm always for reducing the barrier to entry, but I'm always against reducing the skill cap.

If anything, I'd stick a note in the janitor's locker saying "Yo, people hate it when they slip, and I've been beaten for it before. Here's how to make space cleaner..."
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #6960

That's a long way of saying "I'm part of the CoD generation so expect mechanics that are flat, linear and give a big flashing icon about where I need to go next", Misterperson.

This isn't just some shitty 2d game, its a shitty 2d game with depth.
'Push button, receive food' mechanics like the above remove that depth.

Having stuff require multiple steps instead of just one click makes the job more indepth and involved which in turn makes it more satisfying.
Compare Space Engineers' Survival mode to Creative.

And it not like building a light fitting is some massive secret, I'm pretty sure we all learned it by having the wiki open.
The only improvement I could see adding to constructables without ruining the experience is adding hints to the examine text about what the next step is, that would be a good compromise of playability and depth.
Psyentific

Post by Psyentific » #6962

Adding hints to examine for multiple-step construction would be pretty nice, yeah.
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #6969

Psyentific wrote:No, person. I'm against this because creating a light fixture is something that's easy to do, but something you also need to know how to do. I'm always for reducing the barrier to entry, but I'm always against reducing the skill cap.

If anything, I'd stick a note in the janitor's locker saying "Yo, people hate it when they slip, and I've been beaten for it before. Here's how to make space cleaner..."
The knowledge itself isn't part of the skill cap because literally anyone can know it, the skill cap is how quickly and effectively you can do an action like this.

Disassembling a wall quickly can keep you alive. I think the next step examine text is excellent because it keeps the learning process in game and will train people to become faster and therefore more skilled. Why wouldn't we want a more competent population?
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Apsis

Post by Apsis » #7251

who even makes lights in maint as a janitor??
Psyentific

Post by Psyentific » #7254

Apsis wrote:who even makes lights in maint as a janitor??
Nobody. Nobody uses non-slip space cleaner, nobody makes lights, nobody tosses traps at mice...
AseaHeru
Rarely plays

Post by AseaHeru » #7371

I make lights...
When I am building a station...
I am located here, lurking in your posts, leaving piles of transparent wordings and being confused. Oh, I also try to map...

This, this is an example of what I leave for you.
Also, these days I mostly play Ursit McStation, mostly because I like roleplay.
Lo6a4evskiy
Byond Username: Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #7373

Frankly, I find that using non-water to clean up is silly. It removes all charm from the job. Nobody cares about dirt anyway, so why bother using perfect methods of cleaning it? Instead mop dem floors over and over until you can change your hairstyle in them. And let those assistants keep slipping - don't forget the warning signs, of course, or you'll quickly become number one target.
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #7415

Lo6a4evskiy wrote:Frankly, I find that using non-water to clean up is silly. It removes all charm from the job. Nobody cares about dirt anyway, so why bother using perfect methods of cleaning it? Instead mop dem floors over and over until you can change your hairstyle in them. And let those assistants keep slipping - don't forget the warning signs, of course, or you'll quickly become number one target.
Janitor really is the job for passive aggressive players. It's the best way to silently express your hate for the station.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
AseaHeru
Rarely plays

Post by AseaHeru » #7422

Or loudly doing the same, yelling at the asshats who cant bother to shove trash in the bin that is RIGHT NEXT TO THEM.
I am located here, lurking in your posts, leaving piles of transparent wordings and being confused. Oh, I also try to map...

This, this is an example of what I leave for you.
Also, these days I mostly play Ursit McStation, mostly because I like roleplay.
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #7425

Once I made lights and installed grass in maint. It was great.

Back to the topic, the problem with insta-lights is that it makes it much easier to create big drains on the powernet.
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #7431

AseaHeru wrote:Or loudly doing the same, yelling at the asshats who cant bother to shove trash in the bin that is RIGHT NEXT TO THEM.
I prefer quietly pointing to the sign like a smug cunt when half the station is stacked on one tile.
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #7654

Stickymayhem wrote:
AseaHeru wrote:Or loudly doing the same, yelling at the asshats who cant bother to shove trash in the bin that is RIGHT NEXT TO THEM.
I prefer quietly pointing to the sign like a smug cunt when half the station is stacked on one tile.
When there's blood in security or any department and they don't let me in to clean it I wait for an opportunity, sprint in, toss a clean grenade then act like the smuggest fuck when they complain about it. Another smug thing you can do is use the bear traps you're supplied on aliens who chase you down, just arm and drop them behind you and watch them slowly crawl around, ineffective as shit without buddies. Taunt to your hearts content.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.