You've been tasked with making an ss13 tycoon game

General SS13 Chat
Jacough
Byond Username: Jacough

You've been tasked with making an ss13 tycoon game

Post by Jacough » #77566

How would you design it?
Me? I'd have it be part sim city manager and part dwarf fortress. You'd start with a basic city weighed you're tasked with expanding by adding on additional departments, allocating resources, and managing the station's budget. You'd also bee able to hire new crew members with different strengths, weaknesses, and needs. You'd have to keep them happy though by making sure their needs are filled our they might just go postal and start murdering their co-workers.

There'd be a papers, please element to it as well in that you'd have to do background checks on new employees unless you want to risk syndicate scum sneaking onto the station. If your detectives can't track them down fast enough bad things start to happen. Crew members start turning up dead. Money and resources start disappearing, bombs start going off, singularities start getting released, and eldritch abominations start popping up.
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Re: You've been tasked with making an ss13 tycoon game

Post by callanrockslol » #77568

Max out sec, keep an officer for every other person to ensure they don't try anything. Never lose because you can't outtide the tide.
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
Uristqwerty
Github User
Byond Username: Uristqwerty
Github Username: Uristqwerty

Re: You've been tasked with making an ss13 tycoon game

Post by Uristqwerty » #77691

Dwarf Fortress, IN SPAAAAAAACE!! urge to make the preceding into TVTropes links...

I'd imagine a resource management game, using semi-autonomous characters similar to DF. Assign jobs based on character ability scores, designate department work areas (and optionally assign specific characters to them).

There should usually be tension from slowly depleting resources, but the player can make a finite number of emergency requests (for supplies, manpower, temporary military, etc.), the game ending when (not if!) they have no more emergency requests left, and cannot handle the current disaster using purely on-station resources.

For more interesting variety, the player can only directly give orders to human crew (+ non-human biological crew?), orders to the station AI and bots have to be relayed by the appropriate crew, making some more valuable than others.

To provide challenge, an algorithm sends increasingly-powerful antags and increasingly-dangerous events. For late-game threats, it might include mixed teams of antag types and/or give antags abilities they normally wouldn't have (cult-wizard-aliens!)

A variety of multiplayer modes would be possible, including co-operative control of a single station, co-operative/competitive interaction between different stations, and a more asymmetric mode where one or more players control the antags against one or more players controlling the station(s) (could be both restricted-power PvP and unlimited-power PCvGM antag setups) (an 8-station diplomacy game with GM-antags, last station to fall wins?).
An Urist from early baystation. Has submitted a few small additions to /tg/station over the years, but is far from the most notable Urist on this codebase.