New Plasma Cutters

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Bombadil
Byond Username: Kromgar

New Plasma Cutters

Post by Bombadil » #80159

It comes with a firing pin already installed and can do 150 fire damage with a advanced plasma cutter. Refillable by dumping plasma in no need to wait for a recharge.

These are extremely powerful weapons. I think the damage should be halved unless its Kudzu. It does 50 less damage than lasers if you unload the whole clip but since you can refill it with plasma it just means you arn't stopped by unloading your entire clip. I mean this thing is probably better than an xray laser for blob solely due to the fact it can be recharged instantly with plasma. I havn't seen it used on blob but does it go all the way through blob tiles or does it stop when it hits? Either way its a pretty powerful weapon against human and blobs.
Planet Station Best Station

Vote Planetstation and Kor Phaeron 2017
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Re: New Plasma Cutters

Post by lumipharon » #80196

it only has like, 4 range or something. But yeah, it's fairly good - being able to reload it is no different from having spare mags/ammo boxes for an smg - though you can probably carry more plasma...
Boredone
Byond Username: Boredone

Post by Boredone » #80208

Well, I haven't messed with em much so don't know quite how overpowered they are, but heres how the are code wise mostly.

The Normal Cutter has 6 Range, the Advanced Cutter has 9 range.
For comparision, Taser has 9 range.

The Normal cutter can hold 15 shots, and the Advanced Cutter can hold 25.
For comparision, the laser guns can hold around 13 I think?

The Normal Cutter does 10 damage, and the Advanced Cutter does 15.
For comparision, Lasers do 20.

The Cutters have a var called 'Power'.
I assume its for destroying walls and such. Normal cutter has 9, Advanced cutter has 12.

One plasma sheet=20 shots.
One Plasma Ore=10 Shots.
As a side note, if you are willing to have half the shots per plasma sheet/ore, ye can fill it directly with an ore bag filled with plasma sheets.
And ye can get the normal cutter from the vending machine.
Also, they are still 15 burn damage melee weapons.
The advanced cutter takes a bit of plasma, silver, and gold to make. Its also technically unreliable, but don't see anything taking reliability into account.
Also, there is a mech version that does more a bit more damage that can be tossed on ripleys, but ye can toss powerful stuff on mechs, so eh.
Bombadil

Post by Bombadil » #80321

lumipharon wrote:it only has like, 4 range or something. But yeah, it's fairly good - being able to reload it is no different from having spare mags/ammo boxes for an smg - though you can probably carry more plasma...
Also... a smg requires a firing pin when a plasma cutter does not

Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #80327

Yeah firing pin change was pretty blunt and stupid on the subject of the poor old smg. You barely saw them before pins because people preferred stunning guns to a ballistic laser alternate now it will be even worse.
Last edited by Incomptinence on Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #80335

SMGs are great against juggernauts, I remember wrecking three in a row as RD once.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #80446

Yeah that makes sense. Not saying it was worthless I know the damage is different and ballistic can really shine in the right circumstance. just not built as much as advanced energy gun et al.
Bombadil

Post by Bombadil » #80451

Really plasma cutters should do 30 damage in no air enviroments and 10 in aired environments

TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #80452

Laser weapons have the advantage of being able to shoot through windows, which is exceptionally useful against carp. Additionally, laser-protective gear is harder to come by (there's only one set of ablative) and many have nonlethal modes for when you want to subdue, not kill.
Compared to this, ballistic weapons are always lethal - some more so (e.g. deagle, revolver), some less so (e.g. stetchkin, Detective's .38) - and can't shoot through windows. Bulletproof is standard-issue amongst the more paranoid Security Officers (due to the prevalence of ballistics amongst traitors and operatives), many leave bullet casings or shells on the floor as evidence, and they can't be recharged - they require ammo.

That's why, given a choice between the prototype SMG and an advanced energy gun (at 100% reliability)/advanced plasma cutter, most would pick the latter.

Ballistics have two things going for them - they bypass dual eswords and energy shields...
... and they're cool.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #80549

Confirming that ballistic weapon are indeed swag as fuck.

But yeah, after playing with adv plasma cutters, the only thing currently more broken is the KA. Please nerf them both - the plasma cutter should be weak inside an atmosphere.
ThatSlyFox
Byond Username: ThatSlyFox

Post by ThatSlyFox » #80577

What was wrong with plasma cutters before? I felt they were pretty useful.

They were welders that didn't need fuel. Now they are legit weapons that also weld, as well as having ammo that is pretty plentiful. Do we really need more weapons in this game?