Should people be allowed to suicide at roundstart

Should you be allowed to suicide at roundstart fnr

Yes as an unimportant role
41%
Occasionally as an unimportant role but don't make it a habit
40%
No you should not be allowed to do this.
18%

Total votes: 164

Sometinyprick
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: STP

Should people be allowed to suicide at roundstart

Post by Sometinyprick » #85716

Currently killing yourself at roundstart as an assistant or as an unimportant role is allowed.
If you have a reason to go of course this is fine and can be provided, this is strictly for no reason kill yourself and leave shit. (Leaving or disconnecting is effectively the same thing too here)
i play leo bonhart, feel free to grief me
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Re: Should people be allowed to suicide at roundstart

Post by Scones » #85717

I think this is fine as something that happens from time to time.

However, when you do it every round, only staying alive when you get antag - I feel it becomes a problem. There are a few people who do this and you know who you are.
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #85718

I'll walk around the station and see the same person turn up suicided again and again and again, it's really shitty and they should just observe from the start
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #85722

Banning the behavior would be addressing a symptom rather than the problem. I've probably said it before elsewhere but

Very little to do job wise (other than farm weapons to kill people)/lack of crew goal + no PVE (station is very safe) + light griff catching more admin attention (can't go make your own fun if it at all bothers another person) + bans on validhunting means there's very little to do as a crewmember.

All the fun new things that are added to the game (lightning spells, new antags, fire spreading on bumping) are only things that you'll ever get to use when an antagonist, so it honestly makes sense to just kill yourself if you're not one and are going to be locked out of using 90% of the games content.

That being said, the above issue is way harder to address, so yes, it should probably be bannable if you're not going to take your turn being an NPC punching bag but still expect to play the fun part.
ThatSlyFox
Byond Username: ThatSlyFox

Post by ThatSlyFox » #85724

Fuck people who do it.

But I agree with kor, there is very little to do that doesn't involve valid hunting and science.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #85726

ThatSlyFox wrote:Fuck people who do it.

But I agree with kor, there is very little to do that doesn't involve valid hunting and science.
Even science mainly yields new and exciting ways to kill people (bombs, mechs, xray guns, etc).

There are lots of cool destructive tools to obtain but pretty much zero ingame incentive to build things.
Last edited by onleavedontatme on Mon May 04, 2015 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Madjura
Byond Username: Madjura

Post by Madjura » #85727

Shaps wrote:I'll walk around the station and see the same person turn up suicided again and again and again, it's really shitty and they should just observe from the start
Or on the arrivals shuttle, during rounds with higher populations where they sign up, hope they get latejoin antag, don't, then suicide and waste the job slot for people who might actually want that job
Or the people who max suit sensors THEN commit suicide to make people waste time retrieving the body thinking it's an actual death (I'm pretty sure the suit sensors setting is random and sometimes it's max, but I find this happens too often to be random. Random assistant shows up as dead in maint, turns out they are in a locker, suicided)

To a lesser extent this also causes problems at lower populations - nuke ops I believe occurs only if 20+ players ready up?
- 4 (or is it 5?) people who are selected to be ops
- 2-3 suicides who didn't get antag - but now have a chance to be a Syndiborg
Now it's 13~ people against a team of heavily armed operatives
This is more of a code / server setting issue but I feel it's still relevant here
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #85731

Also "occasionally" is very poorly defined.
Arete
Byond Username: Arete

Post by Arete » #85733

The middle option leaves open the question of what exactly is considered making a habit of it. This probably isn't the sort of issue that would benefit from a specific limit on the number of roundstart suicides allowed per month or whatever, but it probably would be good to set a guideline for all admins to follow when determining whether abuse is happening.

I can think of only two reasons to suicide at roundstart.

Firstly, if you accidentally left a job preference on and you really don't feel like playing that sort of job. Ideally, people should be more careful about making sure their preferences are set right from round to round, but practically we have to allow a bit of leeway for when people are forgetful.

Secondly, if you just wanted to roll for antag. This is understandable due to the points Kor raises, but it's still pretty awful in that you're taking an antag round from someone who's more willing to do their time in the game's less fun roles. Banning for this sort of behavior would be an okay band-aid until non-antag roles are made more engaging, I think.
Sometinyprick
In-Game Game Master

Post by Sometinyprick » #85735

Kor wrote:Banning the behavior would be addressing a symptom rather than the problem. I've probably said it before elsewhere but

Very little to do job wise (other than farm weapons to kill people)/lack of crew goal + no PVE (station is very safe) + light griff catching more admin attention (can't go make your own fun if it at all bothers another person) + bans on validhunting means there's very little to do as a crewmember.

All the fun new things that are added to the game (lightning spells, new antags, fire spreading on bumping) are only things that you'll ever get to use when an antagonist, so it honestly makes sense to just kill yourself if you're not one and are going to be locked out of using 90% of the games content.

That being said, the above issue is way harder to address, so yes, it should probably be bannable if you're not going to take your turn being an NPC punching bag but still expect to play the fun part.
This can be fixed, I would agree that currently too many things are catching admin attention, and I suppose in time this will be addressed. I'm trying to think of a way that my fellow head admins will agree on but it's probably going to be a task.

Even so killing yourself at roundstart for not getting antag isn't really in the spirit of the game imo.
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #85736

No. At the end of the day, spessmens is just a game, and we should not be punishing people for deciding not to play a game.
Firstly, if you accidentally left a job preference on and you really don't feel like playing that sort of job. Ideally, people should be more careful about making sure their preferences are set right from round to round, but practically we have to allow a bit of leeway for when people are forgetful.
This is a cause of more suicides than people think, particularly for people rolling for high-demand roles (silicons, clowns, etc).
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #85737

Sometinyprick wrote: Even so killing yourself at roundstart for not getting antag isn't really in the spirit of the game imo.
Of course it isn't, and I don't do it myself, but I feel like the spirit of the game is severely weakened anyway, so I can't really players people for doing it. People got sick of the validhunting/antag killing/grief/shuttle call cycle and worked their hardest to restrict it with rules and code changes, but they've neglected to add anything substantial in its place.

Somehow the little minigames and distractions are now being presented to players as the focus instead of the actual game, but the jobs really don't have enough depth to carry the experience.

Hell we've lost half the fun bugs,been restricted in space exploration, and had gameplay slowed down in the name of balancing the validhunt while simultaneously insisting the game isn't about validhunting, so even those side experiences have been severely diminished.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #85741

Kor wrote: Somehow the little minigames and distractions are now being presented to players as the focus instead of the actual game,
You mean roleplaying?

If people aren't having fun, they should probably rethink why they're on the server and maybe take a break to play something else.

If you're just here for skull toolboxing simulator 255X then I don't feel single ounce of guilt for those people being "bored".
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
EndgamerAzari
Byond Username: EndgamerAzari

Post by EndgamerAzari » #85742

While I voted for the middle option (because I don't have a spine/opinions of my own), it really is irksome when this happens sometimes. I've had times as an engineer where there were four engies on the manifest, but I was the only one who wasn't braindead/word-go suicide. As you can imagine that makes things pretty trying.

EDIT: You know what, considering the reasons people have addressed for why people do this, I'm changing my vote to no. Having to suddenly leave is one thing; ragequitting because you can't get your murder on is horseshit.
Spoiler:
Shaps wrote:I never thought I'd see the day where someone tried claiming the moral high ground on drinking a bottle of cough syrup
TechnoAlchemist wrote:dumb baby boo boo "i wish I enlisted then mom would be proud" ballistics.
Saegrimr wrote:
Wyzack wrote:Remove players 2016, they ruin everything they touch
IM TRYING
Saegrimr wrote:
yackemflam wrote:It's like dish washing, someone has to do it.
MAYBE IF YOU'D QUIT SHITTING ON THE PLATE WHEN YOU'RE TOO LAZY TO GET UP TO GO TO THE RESTROOM AND JUST PUT THEM IN THE FUCKING SINK WHEN YOU'RE DONE
FantasticFwoosh wrote:Zip ties are best applied on assistants and other nobodies because of the exact reason they are disposable (applies to both).
An0n3 wrote:Azari for headmin 2015
He's an admin you can trust because nobody remembers to involve him in their conspiracies.
Drynwyn wrote:hbrahlrlahrlharlahr FEATURE CREEP
ShadowDimentio wrote:Instructions too complex, spaced the clown
Akkryls wrote:I mean, we are rightfully pissed off, but let's be pissed off for the correct reasons.
Falamazeer wrote:I am sufficiently outraged for you
Maccus wrote:You look like the dad every teenage boy doesn't look forward to meeting at his girlfriend's house
nsos wrote:When I was a teen and did the inevitable trying to suck your own dick thing I managed to get the head in my mouth and I feel like the rest of my life is me being punished for that
miggles wrote:is that supposed to be a trick question or just a dumb one
cedarbridge wrote:My first idea is that everyone just stops being faggots to each other but that's not going to happen, obviously.
Not-Dorsidarf wrote:Most soap operas could be improved if every scene had a greyshirt in the background hooting "GIBE DE POOSIE BOSS" all the time
Not-Dorsidarf wrote:classic style is "shit on everyone from the greatest heights, so they cannot climb high enough to shit on you"
Super Aggro Crag wrote:you can't just use meme to mean "thing I don't like" you goatherd
Saegrimr wrote:"lel just go explore make YOUR OWN fun wow do you have NO IMAGINATION back in MY DAY we used to shove twigs in our urethras and PRETENDED WE WERE KNIGHTS"
An0n3 wrote:Fucking crystal ass wind chime lookin' bitch.
Saegrimr wrote:It should be common sense but this is /tg/.
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer

Post by Shaps-cloud » #85745

If you're bored of SS13 why not just

you know

do something else?
Lovecraft
Byond Username: Rabukurafuto

Post by Lovecraft » #85746

Yes, they should be.
Why is this even a thread? Who does this directly effect in a meaningful way?
Friendly reminder that you are beautiful and this server would be nothing without your continued support
I play August Finster, a suave midget with a grudge, as well as Francis Heart, the naked guitarist of the Cosmos.
Spoiler:
Nobody is worthless. PM me anytime to talk.
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #85747

I'm okay with it so long as they're not in an important role (or rather, so long as if they are in an important role, they make sure someone else can fill it first or do the preliminary work). If you're the only engineer and you kill yourself without setting up power, or you're the head of security and you kill yourself without saying so much as "warden, you're up", then that's bad.

But there are situations where I'm okay with it. Some days I know I personally only want to play one of a few specific jobs. I'll ready up, I'll roll for those jobs, and if I don't get them I get pushed to assistant. This is especially true of jobs you cannot typically job change to, like certain security roles and some silicon positions (it's not normal for people to let you be a second ai, in my limited experience). This is a situation where I had to get pushed into a job, whether I liked it or not, and if I get stuck with assistant instead of something important that I don't want to do, I want to be allowed to suicide. Normally I'll play a round as an assistant or try to get a job change, but 5% of the time I'll really only want to play my job preferences or not play at all. I don't think I should be punished for that; it's a weird product of a slightly weird system.
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #85748

While I don't agree with a lot of what Kor is saying he is right in that there isn't a huge amount to do, especially considering a community with very low tolerance for roleplaying. I don't even have a proposed fix but he's right - Sometimes, you just get really fucking bored. I've played pretty much every job pretty extensively and I play command now solely for the fact that the jobs are both ubiquitous and give me something to do constantly.

I wish the station had something to do - Station round-end objectives outside of the common sense "kill all antags, evacuate all crew". At the very least it'd be fun to have some function like "GATHER X RESOURCE, BRING X LEVELS OF R&D TO CENTRAL, MAKE X ITEM" so that the crew can have something to strive towards as a team.

But similarly I think Saegrimir makes a valid point. This game is not all raw gameplay. This is a roleplaying game by it's nature. This is not skull toolboxer XX25.
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #85751

Saegrimr wrote:
Kor wrote: Somehow the little minigames and distractions are now being presented to players as the focus instead of the actual game,
You mean roleplaying?

If people aren't having fun, they should probably rethink why they're on the server and maybe take a break to play something else.

If you're just here for skull toolboxing simulator 255X then I don't feel single ounce of guilt for those people being "bored".
"Roleplay" has never been, and never will be, an excuse for poor gameplay design.

I love roleplay. Roleplay is why I changed the nuke to only kill on Z1, despite you being dead/alive having zero practical effect on round end. Roleplay is why I found out Jack Steiner was my father last night. Roleplay is why I'll trade an antag his objective for a sob story. I fucking hated xenostation because it was all combat and no roleplay. Hell I don't like the xenomorph antagonist much in general for that reason.

But it is an objective fact that the game existed first as a game, and roleplay was added later. Roleplay has never been the core of the game, and it still isn't. It is not the meat of the game. We still let our antags kill people for no reason, we still let our admins spawn crazy shit that will kill you, we still code more ways for people to die and little else.

Deep roleplay requires collaboration (not going to happen with 70 people in a competitive game) and freedom (not going to happen because you're very constrained by both the game and by server rules). You get in trouble for disrupting the round but you get mocked for caring about it. You get told to roleplay and not be a validhunter, but we have some horrible lottery system where players get to ignore the rules and kill you in the middle of building your autism fort. Talking to a traitor gives them another chance to silently kill and space you. Bay wanted deeper roleplay and they banned antag murderboner. People here call for deeper roleplay but won't take that crucial step, even if they swear they hate murderboner.

To restate what I said in my headmin thread
I wouldn't run a game of DnD and tell people they were all locked in an empty inn, and they weren't allowed to kill people, then mock them for being bad roleplayers if they wanted something to happen.
There are rule fixes to this (let players go nuts, make their own stories, declare indepdence on mining, etc or just straight up ban antag murderboner if you want a different game), there are code fixes (more in depth jobs, crew objectives like what I tried with away missions), but simply yelling "roleplay" over and over while handing out a license to grief to random players every round is not the fix.
Scones wrote:This is a roleplaying game by it's nature.
It really isn't though. It's an atmos simulator with game modes added in afterwards, and light roleplay after that. Which is the problem. People are trying to do deep roleplay in a game that really isn't built for that but they're afraid to either admit it's a game and not a deep roleplay platform, or alter the game enough so that it actually works for roleplay. Bay did the latter, and while I'd rather not see us become Bay, at least they have a cohesive vision for what their playstyle and community is supposed to look like.

EDIT: Forgot to say, in regards to freedom to make your own stories, only the admins really have the power to alter the rules on the fly while changing the round structure. Everyone else has very mundane powers. They can't decide to go study an SCP or build an ice cream shuttle or whatever. Certain jobs are stuck with basically access to only a couple rooms of the station with a dull minigame and not much power to alter that without security or admins kicking their ass.
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #85755

Kor wrote:"Roleplay" has never been, and never will be, an excuse for poor gameplay design.
Yeah look where that took D&D 5e.

Cater to the number crunchers long enough and then you have people who claim it was always meant to be a tabletop war simulator.
Kor wrote:Deep roleplay requires collaboration (not going to happen with 70 people in a competitive game) and freedom (not going to happen because you're very constrained by both the game and by server rules). You get in trouble for disrupting the round but you get mocked for caring about it. You get told to roleplay and not be a validhunter, but we have some horrible lottery system where players get to ignore the rules and kill you in the middle of building your autism fort. Talking to a traitor gives them another chance to silently kill and space you. Bay wanted deeper roleplay and they banned antag murderboner. People here call for deeper roleplay but won't take that crucial step, even if they swear they hate murderboner.
You don't need to roleplay with all 70 people on the server, you probably wouldn't even see all 70 people in a round even if you were on a murderboner rampage. Nobody is asking that.
You lose freedom because we're having to constantly remove horrifically exploitable and balance breaking things because people will not settle for anything less than the strongest most robust tool they can use to get their valids. If there was a literal Golden Gun in the traitor uplink that killed instantly on a single shot, do you honestly think the majority of traitors would skip that in favor of something more "in character"?
Fuck no. Welcome to /tg/station, next stop: NoX.
And why would the traitors stop to roleplay with you in your autism fort when you're just as likely to whip out a stunprod and cuff him randomly just because you think he might be there to fuck you up? They don't want to lose their turn as antag due to random validhunters, so in turn they just go straight to the murder. Players don't want to get straight up murdered so they turn to the validhunter combo pack and beat down anybody that gets within one tile of them or taze people who look shady. It all goes in circles.

To restate what I said in my headmin thread
Kor wrote:I wouldn't run a game of DnD and tell people they were all locked in an empty inn, and they weren't allowed to kill people, then mock them for being bad roleplayers if they wanted something to happen.
You also wouldn't run a game where your players just run around and murder random townspeople and then eachother, would you? Sure might be a fun one-off but you know that'll just devolve into who can make the strongest character the rules will allow. OH SHIT I MENTIONED POWERGAMING.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #85764

Saegrimr wrote:You also wouldn't run a game where your players just run around and murder random townspeople and then eachother, would you?
That is literally what we let traitors do though.

No shit there is going to be no valuable role play when you let people act like that.

If I wanted to run a game of DnD and all the players wanted to murderhobo I'd either roll with it and make the world react to them (here comes an army, you're now playing an outlaw/raider campaign! Again, actual roleplaying games have freedom to make stuff up on the fly like this), or I'd just stop playing with them, I wouldn't tell them they weren't allowed to murder, that wizards are now banned for being too strong, and that they still aren't allowed to leave said town. I'd give them something to do in the town. I'd take it in one direction or another, not tell 5 players they have to sit still and stare while one player fights the badguys for them, and everyone rerolls at the start of the session to see who gets to play this time.
Alex Crimson
Byond Username: Dazbuzz

Post by Alex Crimson » #85770

I think it should be allowed so long as you only do it as Assistant. Other job roles arent the kind of thing you should be using to role for antag. Not only is it a shitty thing to do, but you are taking up slots that other people might want to actually use.

Antag ban anyone else.
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer

Post by Shaps-cloud » #85790

Playing only as antag ruins the game. Either play both sides and contribute positively on rounds you're not antag and break shit down hard on rounds you do roll antag, or just play something else if you're so bored of spessmen

Seriously, if you're bored of SS13 just play something else, it's that simple
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #85792

Saegrimr, you mentioned how constantly catering to number crunchers made DnD 5e what it was and then you mentioned constantly having to balance the game to remove exploitable items. That almost sounds like the same thing, unless that was your point. You're right about it going in circles, people don't want to risk getting murderboned, antags don't want to risk getting valid'd but I think what Kor said still applies- someone has to take the first step, and that most likely has to be the server laying down policy to stop murderboners first.

>playing something else
w-what else is there
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #85799

Shaps wrote:Playing only as antag ruins the game.
All my tl;dr bullshit about what the game is/should be aside, this sums it up.
imblyings wrote:someone has to take the first step, and that most likely has to be the server laying down policy to stop murderboners first.
I'd rather really rather it go the other way and have things less strict for everyone. Even the most hardcore roleplay advocate probably doesn't want to see the end of plasma fires and bombs. Hell when I was tempin for a couple rounds I watched Paprika use a locker to save up magic missiles to kill everyone after hacking the AI was a wizard, despite posting constantly about how he hated murderboner. It's fun and people know it.
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #85803

It's kinda like guns. We either end up like Switzerland or we end up like Detroit. More freedom would be great but there has to be some sort of simultaneous effort by admins to instil a certain mindset on the playerbase.
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
rdght91
Byond Username: Roadhog1

Post by rdght91 » #85805

Or just put a timer on the suicide verb so they at least have to do something creative.
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #85806

Changing the suicide verb is pointless, as they'll just walk out an airlock instead.
rdght91
Byond Username: Roadhog1

Post by rdght91 » #85808

Saegrimr wrote:Changing the suicide verb is pointless, as they'll just walk out an airlock instead.
Yeah, and it'd be funnier.

But really, never underestimate the power of inconvenience. Psychology-wise, in real life, something as permanent suicide is a great example of this- making suicide inconvenient actually dramatically decreases suicide rates.
Bluespace
Byond Username: Bluespace

Post by Bluespace » #85834

>i open ss13
>the idea of running around as an assistant watching people do things i have literally seen them do 1000 times before sounds uninteresting as fuck
>i would love to try shadowling gameplay
>i do not get shadowling
>i am now an assistant who would rather exit ss13 and play another game
I play Boris Pepper.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #85838

Assistant suicides are fine, but anything else is bad and should warrant a antag ban if someone is constantly taking up a role and suiciding if they don't get antag.

E: Stress the word constantly. Suiciding/Logging off once in a while due to real life or something else is fine.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #85850

I'm disturbed by the number of sec officer I see round start suicide or brain dead (often in the fucking public halls where they get looted).
I mean, it's a bloody implanted job so if you're rolling for anag why the fuck would you choose sec?
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #85856

As a security role, any officer who doesn't sign in and is standing braindead in the spawn locations after about ten minutes gets reassigned to the permabrig. If they come round they can shout at us, and if they don't they're out of the way and serve as valuable protein for captured changelings.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer

Post by Shaps-cloud » #85860

Bluespace wrote:>i open ss13
>the idea of running around as an assistant watching people do things i have literally seen them do 1000 times before sounds uninteresting as fuck
>i do not get shadowling
Rolling an antag is rare enough that you shouldn't be joining with the expectation of being an antag in mind, much less expecting to be a specific antag like shadowling, like you could go for days or weeks without rolling antag at all. SS13 needs Average Joe nonantags to make the game interesting for everyone, and if you won't play unless you can smash someone's head in with a toolbox, what are you contributing to the game?

If we're gonna allow people to consistently kill themselves as assistants or whatever, we should be allowed to meta the few times they actually play a round. Not straight up validing them, but at least have a reason to be suspicious of them

Edit: Seriously though, there are other things you can do that play spessmen. Go play a game on steam, learn dorf fort, learn some useful or marketable skill, go outside, do some work, clean up your desk, talk to people, anything. The answer to finding the game boring after playing it for hundreds of hours isn't to play it more, take a break
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #85866

Bluespace wrote:>i open ss13
>i do not get shadowling
>I kill myself until I get shadowling
>finally get shadowling
>everyone who did not get shadowling has killed themselves because they wanted antag
>look at how much fun I'm having now as a shadowling on a station full of corpses

Also we'd ban people for random murder, but somehow if they only stay active in the game when they're allowed to random murder that's okay?
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #85893

Suicide, imho, is better than just being braindead for the remainder of the round. At least it gives some definitive answer that the player has actually left the game and isn't willing to rejoin it.
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
Sometinyprick
In-Game Game Master

Post by Sometinyprick » #87047

This was due to a poll so I'm going so I'm going I'd like it to run a little longer, please vote if you haven't already done so.
Amelius
Byond Username: Amelius

Post by Amelius » #87540

Kor wrote:Banning the behavior would be addressing a symptom rather than the problem. I've probably said it before elsewhere but

Fucking this. Most of the jobs are rote crap, and the few that you can do some interesting stuff, by the time you've finished your creation the shift has ended. Note that extending shift lengths will just excaberate the problem because people will be even MORE bored.

Really, the prime issue I believe we need to fix, is the repetitive, slow, and boring nature of most jobs. This isn't easy to fix, but it's important for the overall longevity for the game.
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer

Post by Shaps-cloud » #87552

If you're bored of SS13...
STOP FUCKING PLAYING SS13
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #87693

Shaps wrote:If you're bored of SS13...
Yeah but before I stop I will roll as assistant to see if maybe I won't get an antag :shades:
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Erisian
Byond Username: Erisian

Post by Erisian » #87786

Shaps wrote:If you're bored of SS13...
People enjoy the game. That's why they're talking about ways to make it more fun and add more depth. Going "lol then just dont fucking play" isn't a solution. Pointing out flaws in something doesn't mean they need to leave and get the fuck out, you ignorant child.
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer

Post by Shaps-cloud » #87839

If you've gotten to the point where everything about the base game is boring and the only way you can have fun anymore is toolboxing people in the head, just take a break from it and come back later when you'll enjoy it more. It's not the game's fault if you get bored of it after 100 hours, that's just you over playing it
Sometinyprick
In-Game Game Master

Post by Sometinyprick » #88958

This poll seems to be leaning towards a yes, so I will talk to sticky about this when I get a chance.
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #88964

Still away so I'm cool with going with what we had already. Antag rolling as assistant is pretty much ok, suiciding at roundstart as a normal job is ok on occasion.

We brought this up in relation to a complaint about me going afk or brain dead a lot as assistant. I switched to primarily playing security since if that's the reason you were concerned about this.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays
Byond Username: An0n3

Post by Timbrewolf » #88965

It's funny that people would complain there's nothing to do in a scenario where you're locked in a giant metal box with sometimes as many as 70 other people.

You could

I dunno

Try talking to some of them?

Wasn't that supposed to be part of the draw? Part of the reason you play this game?

On topic: You should be able to suicide at roundstart but you shouldn't be able to roll for antag. You should earn shares on an antag lottery based on every x number of minutes you're on the server connected to your roundstart mob. If all you do is ready up and then suicide at round start you'll never get it. Play the game and survive the hellish nightmare that is SS13 and you'll have a better chance of getting picked.

This blocks antag rollers and also gives people an incentive to stay alive and survive.
Last edited by Timbrewolf on Mon May 18, 2015 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #88967

An0n3 wrote:It's funny that people would complain there's nothing to do in a scenario where you're locked in a giant metal box with sometimes as many as 70 other people.

You could

I dunno

Try talking to some of them?

Wasn't that supposed to be part of the draw? Part of the reason you play this game?
Oh my God that sounds disgusting.

Unless you just mean saying "Hi" to someone so they stop to type and then you can cut their head off with an axe.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays
Byond Username: An0n3

Post by Timbrewolf » #88968

Beating someone to death with a fire extinguisher is not a valid form of communication in this sense.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Sometinyprick
In-Game Game Master

Post by Sometinyprick » #88971

Stickymayhem wrote:Still away so I'm cool with going with what we had already. Antag rolling as assistant is pretty much ok, suiciding at roundstart as a normal job is ok on occasion.

We brought this up in relation to a complaint about me going afk or brain dead a lot as assistant. I switched to primarily playing security since if that's the reason you were concerned about this.
EDIT FUCKED IT
I meant it seems to show most people either have a slight issue with it or none at all
LNGLY
Byond Username: LNGLY

Post by LNGLY » #88972

Sometinyprick wrote: Yes but people seem to disagree and think just playing assistant to roll antag is bad, most people and so do I think we should disallow that in some form or another.
This isn't at all what the poll says.
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #88973

Yeah bud I'm pretty sure we said we were going to go with the poll on this one.

Clearly it's not most people because most people voted the opposite, and we had a reasonable turnout too.

51/65 don't mind assistants doing it or are even ok with normal jobs doing it occasionally.