ITT: we whine

General SS13 Chat
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Re: ITT: we whine

Post by DemonFiren » #54015

Bottom post of the previous page:

dionysus24779 wrote:I really hate that during rounds where the station has a common threat (Ops, Wizard, Blob, Malf AI, etc.) oh so many people will try their hardest to be the big goddamn hero and do it all on their own. Nobody cooperates, coordinates or makes an organized effort. Everyone tries to be the hero, everyone trips over each other and gets in each others way. Even simple problems become monumental tasks sometimes. Like if there's a rogue AI people won't borg others anymore, despite there being the option to make an AI-less borg that could probably just roll in and kill the AI zero-effort. Nope, they rather abondon their jobs and stand around useless.

All for their minute of fame, for their 1 minute bragging rights circlejerk OOC after the round.

And yes, sometimes a single player can shine and turn it all around, but with a good organized crew it would never even need to come down to one player.

Though the lack of proper communication, coordination, organisation and cooperation seems to be a common problem in many rounds...
Easy, fast and efficient victories aren't glorious. People want their ego boost. You do the math.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Big Faggot
Byond Username: Floof5467

Post by Big Faggot » #54043

ive been permabanned twice now and its pretty gay.
mikecari
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Mikecari

Post by mikecari » #54044

dionysus24779 wrote:snip
How would you make an AI-less borg anyway? Cut one of its wires?
dionysus24779
Byond Username: Dionysus24779

Post by dionysus24779 » #54433

mikecari wrote:How would you make an AI-less borg anyway? Cut one of its wires?
Before you insert the MMI into the Borg shell you can configure stuff like the name, which AI to slave to, AI-sync and Law-sync etc. via the multitool menu. But cutting a wire is the only way to do it on an already operating borg.
mrpain
Byond Username: Mrpain666

Post by mrpain » #56433

I hate how rule 1 does not make an exception to lizards. What the fuck. Seriously. They need to die.
/vg/station Head Admin
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #56437

Ssssssssssssshusssssssssh, you.

Lizardsssssss are the greatssssessssst
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #56440

GLORIOUSSSSS REPTILIAN MASSSSSTER RASSSSSE.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Somejerk
Byond Username: Somejerk

Post by Somejerk » #56448

Where are my Night Vision Mesons? You told me there would be Night Vision Mesons!
AnonymousNow
Byond Username: AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #56453

Somejerk wrote:Where are my Night Vision Mesons? You told me there would be Night Vision Mesons!
I think I remember us having Night Vision Mesons before. Like, that's how they originally worked, I think.

I'd like them back. It would change minerborg forever (Hm... should I be able to see enemies and ore, or structures and veins? Should I have my drill out, or my ore satchel?).
Hornygranny wrote:It's not your codebase. It's our codebase. You can imply soft power as much as you want, but you don't have it. Division between the server and project is absolute. I'm not interested in reading dezzmont platitudes for the billionth time and won't be checking back in this thread.

Spoiler:
~Simplified for the sake of Wyzack's delicate feelings~
Fuck anti-roleplay suggestions and fuck Bay.

Xenomorphs a shit.
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #56493

R&D can make them with the right research and minerals.
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
rook

Post by rook » #56677

Big Faggot wrote:ive been permabanned twice now and its pretty gay.
The worst part about being permabanned isn't the ban itself; it's getting back and realizing that nobody noticed you were gone. ;_;
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #56693

Oh, boy, there's a feel I know.

It is awful.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
rook

Post by rook » #56715

Delicious wrote:
rook wrote:
Big Faggot wrote:ive been permabanned twice now and its pretty gay.
The worst part about being permabanned isn't the ban itself; it's getting back and realizing that nobody noticed you were gone. ;_;
I wondered why you'd been gone so long.
t-thanks
RG4
Byond Username: RG4ORDR

Post by RG4 » #56720

/TG/ is slowly but steadily becoming a liteRP version of baystation with a slew of stupid 'fixes' that usually make the playerbase mad. The coders are 99% detached from the player base and usually implementing uneeded changes that people hardly ever ask for or force upon on changes that were never needed IE - Slow Space,Security Sprites, removing telescience, for what ever reasoning removing RIGS to hold large oxygen tanks.
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #56783

RG4 wrote:/TG/ is slowly but steadily becoming a liteRP version of baystation with a slew of stupid 'fixes' that usually make the playerbase mad. The coders are 99% detached from the player base and usually implementing uneeded changes that people hardly ever ask for or force upon on changes that were never needed IE - Slow Space,Security Sprites, removing telescience, for what ever reasoning removing RIGS to hold large oxygen tanks.
/tg/ has always been a liteRP server, I mean its kinda "sold" as that. A sorta midway point between bay and goon, which is why I started playing on the servers to begin with (bay was too much and goon was too mental).

I guess coders have been slightly detached from the player base, but then again most of the coders are players themselves so it often effects themselves as well. The game itself is constantly evolving which is what makes it interesting to keep playing, it never really stagnates. Of course mistakes will be made along the way and things get reverted if they're that bad. However there are plenty of things that have changed that people hated at first and have now come to accept, to the point where I think people would fit against it if they were reverted.

7/10 times when people complain about the server or the code its because its something that normally only directly effects the way they're used to playing. Either start a discussion about that particular thing and see if others are in the same boat or change with the times.
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #56787

RG4 wrote:/TG/ is slowly but steadily becoming a liteRP version of baystation with a slew of stupid 'fixes' that usually make the playerbase mad. The coders are 99% detached from the player base and usually implementing uneeded changes that people hardly ever ask for or force upon on changes that were never needed IE - Slow Space,Security Sprites, removing telescience, for what ever reasoning removing RIGS to hold large oxygen tanks.
I've been in this community for... I dunno, 3 years now? And I see this complaint over and over and over and over again. Every time the coders change something, people complain about it, usually with terrible hyperbolic arguments like this. And even though people like you have been crying that "they're killing /tg/station" for all that time, we've only grown and gotten more players.

Different hardsuits used to support different tanks, which was stupid. The primary purpose of the commit was to finally unify that. And a big gas tank on the back of a hardsuit could theoretically last several rounds. The secondary purpose of the commit was to balance that.

And do I really have to get into Telescience? A machine that lets you draw whatever item or person you want from whichever corner of the map? Within seconds if you use the calculator? If you're really so desperate to keep a broken, overpowered system like that in the game, why don't you fix it yourself? The code is open source after all.
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
Balut
Byond Username: Balut

Post by Balut » #56803

ALL I wanna do lately is get borged but into a mech suit instead of a borg body, and name myself Dreadnought Chang Ling. The yellow Ripley, preferably.

But apparently that shit is completely broken and I can't use my tools or recharge or anything? God fuckin' dammit /tg/station. I was totally a Dreadnought that one time we were testing that one Away Mission, that wasn't THAT many months ago. What even changed that broke it? Dammit.
"Yeah, they're kick-ass robot pilots!" "But they sing and dance!" "They launch from a secret base..." "...that's right under the opera house!"
Sakura Wars
Spoiler:
Malkevin wrote:
No no, I don't want to be surrounded by spergs
An0n3 wrote:
Why are you here then?
http://sam.wileycomputerworks.com/SS13/
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #56806

Helloooo, Github.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
dionysus24779

Post by dionysus24779 » #86159

Originally I wanted to post this as a "story of rage, tears and regret" or whatever, but I know how much hate and shit I would get for it. So instead I'll post it here.

This isn't really a story about a particular round, but more of a general experience playing a borg.
Spoiler:
When I started playing SS13 I didn't quite now what job was really the one I would have the most fun with. I started as an Assistant like many people, eventually picked up the Genetics job, then Science and so many others too, including stuff like Virology, Detective, HoS, Captain and RD... but nothing felt ever quite right. But then I tried to become a borg and I loved it, I loved everything about it. You have a specialized role that you excel in, but in return you're useless at everything else. You're bound to your laws which gives you a really interesting dynamic, especially with crazy laws. And you always had an AI to guide you and other borgs for support. And more often then not the crew kind of loved you by default. At first I often played Secborg because I didn't trust myself with the complicated engieborg stuff, shooting bad guys and bringing them in was easy enough after all. Though when I picked up the engieborg trait I really fell in love with the role of a borg since you're so useful to everyone.

But then the nerfs started to happen and over the span of just a few years I could see my most favourite job become less and less and less fun. The first big nerf I recall removed the incredibly cool ability to self-repair from engieborgs, one of my most favourite features and still dearly missed... though I agree that it might have been too OP since it was really hard to take down an engieborg. Also the health of borgs got reduced by quite a lot, in fact as I remember borgs were so fragile you wouldn't even have the time to react at all... I guess that was fixed or I just got used to it, I cannot tell. Additionally the RCD, the most useful tool of the engieborg, became insanely expensive to use from a power standpoint, but that's still nothing to compare to the ludicrous cost of a stunbaton swing for secborgs, making it almost unuseable in any practical way.

Later on the crit system for borgs was overhauled, borgs would now go into "crit" and they would loose the ability to use their modules at certain health percentages. This added an annoying level of micromanagement to the order in which you equip modules, if you aren't careful you could find yourself suddenly unable to continue the attack or self-defense.

Borgs gained but also lost the ability to manipulate lockers in any way, though what's worse is that borgs aren't allowed to look into containers anymore, making it impossible for a borg to search someone or something.

They also lost the ability to put things into disposals which is quite sad since it was often so very useful.

Somewhere along there the Secborgs tazer was overhauled. Instead of being able to spam infinite range taser bolts he then had the new disabler/tazer combo, now he had a tactical choice of using up to 20 disabler shots with infinite range that could go through glass, but needed three hits to down someone, or try his luck with up to 5 taser shots with limited range and the need for a free line of fire... but sadly that couldn't last and the Secborg was left with just a disabler... surely it does its job, but it removed the tactical option and made it neigh-impossible for a borg to go up against a blinking wizard.

With the introduction of the new medicine system the Mediborg also received new chemicals to heal people... but last time I checked these proved to be mostly useless, making people annoyed by the constant pricking and stalking mediborgs who just tried to help in vain. Also there's this small nerf to needles which cannot pierce thick clothes anymore, preventing the Mediborg from applying medicine in some situations.

To give the crew another weapon against borgs the Ion Rifle was added to the armory and some crewmembers now had basically long-range flashes in the form of laserpointers.

And then who could forget the EMP overhaul? Before EMPs, Flashes and Laserpointers merely stunned a borg, making it unable to move for a pretty long but sometimes random amount of time. But these days... borgs get stunned, blinded, muted and deafened and they have their Sprite messed up so they look dead. A Flash, a Laserpointer, any of the numerous EMP attacks will now basically parapen a borg, they cannot move, see or even speak to report how they die... maybe get their last location out so it can be found.

Another small but understandable nerf was that the cost of the VTEC was changed from gold to uranium (iirc) to prevent borgs from plundering the vault to get one... which I can understand.

And lately of course we have the greatly increased energy drain. Before a borg without any tools equipped could be active for a really long time, loosing only 1 unit of energy per tick, having one module equipped was a bearable drain on your cell, two were worse and with three you had to keep an eye on your cell. But now? You loose 5 energy per tick without any module equipped and each module seems to add an additional 30 to that drain. So if you have a single module equipped a standard 15k cell will be drained within roughly 7-8 minutes. If you're busy and have all three equipped... well you can barely roll from one end of the station to another. You will now constantly be at the recharger to recharge... hah the recharger isn't even able to fully charge you anymore, stopping at 14995 because the drain is too much. Before an engieborg could wire all four solars and be done with only ~25% energy spend... but now an engieborg can maybe wire one solar and be back to recharge with 50% left.

Of course I won't deny that borgs also received a few buffs here and there... which pale in comparison to the nerfs though. The Engie and Mediborgs got a variety of new tools to use, very useful for the engieborg, but the mediborg would merely be able to assist in a surgery for the lack of hands. Also borgs got the ability to quickly manipulate doors and airlocks like the AI can, perhaps the most important buff in terms of convinience. And then there was a much welcomed update to the Borg-UI, moving the SecHud and MedHud functions to a seperate and dedicated interface element and making it available to all borgs, so now even an engieborg could see who's wanted or hurt and sec- and mediborgs didn't need to waste a slot on the hud-item... this was perhaps the most important buff borgs ever received overall.

So yeah... I think playing a borg has finally become not that much fun to play anymore, which is sad since it really was my most favourite role and I'm not that motivated to really to pick up other jobs. It's not like I will never play borg again, especially now that positron-brains offer a new alternative for dead players to re-enter the game as potential borgs... but it still is a bummer.

And I know some people will tell me I'm whining because I'm not an "unstoppable killermachine" that I actually never asked to be. And hey, I didn't even mentioned anything about naming rights until now.
TL;DR: Borgs aren't much fun anymore.

Rejoice my haters.
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #86160

I guess it's because roboticists won't name you :honk:

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #86167

Yeah i won't really touch cyborg anymore if i can help it, all the fun has been taken out for balance reasons.
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NikNakflak

Post by NikNakFlak » #86174

DemonFiren wrote:I guess it's because roboticists won't name you :honk:
dionysus24779

Post by dionysus24779 » #86214

Like I said, rejoice you haters, you won't be hearing more about that. Not like you would ever stop about it.
Wyzack wrote:Yeah i won't really touch cyborg anymore if i can help it, all the fun has been taken out for balance reasons.
Yeah, kind of funny how "balance" works out.
Reimoo
Byond Username: Reimoo

Post by Reimoo » #86306

Our med system has been completely awful for years now and yet nobody wants to do anything about it.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #86307

b-but muh goofchem will save the day r-right
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #86308

I want more surgeries and more uses for surgery. Doing surgery is pretty fun, wish i had more cause to do it in the average round
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
certified good poster
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #86332

Blood was a fun medical update, I thought that added a bit to doctoring. Pity it's quite easy for people to miss when you've run out of blood but other than that I think it's pretty great.

Defibrillators were a great addition to doctoring too, and they haven't been around forever.
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #86344

Cheimon you suck at complaining. Yes, this is a meta complaint
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
qwert
Byond Username: Ohlos

Post by qwert » #86426

So many new antag shit added, and I never see said new antags/items/ abilities.
Also there was syndicate minigun PR in github once, never seen it in muh spessmens.
IcePacks
Byond Username: IcePacks

Post by IcePacks » #86534

why the FUCK do you FUCKING IDIOTS keep calling the FUCKING ROUNDS SHIFTS is your average work shift half a FUCKING hour culminating in an explosion MINE FUCKING AREN'T but then you keep acting like somehow despite getting your FUCKING BRAINS SCOOPED OUT LIKE FUCKING HAMBURGER AND TOSSED IN A FUCKING CYBORG, YOU GET TO COME BACK TO THE SAME FUCKING STATION (MIRACULOUSLY UNEXPLODED?) ALIVE AND WELL AND FUCKING BITCH ABOUT HOW I WAS A COMPLETE SHIT LAST -ROUND- EVEN THOUGH LAST FUCKING ROUND I WAS A FUCKING MOLE WORKING FOR THE OTHER GUYS, AND HOW I ALWAYS YELL THE FUCKING TIME, WHY THE FUCK DO YOU YELL ONLY WHEN YOU WANT TO GET SOME GUY WHO'S TOTALLY VALID KILLED? THIS SHOULD BE YOUR FUCKING FIRST TIME ON THE STATION, BUT IF YOU THINK YOU'RE CAPABLE OF WHINING AFTER GETTING BLOWED THE FUCK UP OR EATEN BY A BLACK FUCKING HOLE, GIVE IT A GO AND LET ME KNOW HOW YOU GET ON!

i also find the almost widespread disregard for any chain of command irksome
OOC: Deitus: tfw RL porn doesnt sexually excite me anymore
Loonikus
Byond Username: Loonicus

Post by Loonikus » #86536

In a command positions aboard the station, there is one key thing you must understand.

The crew are lemmings. They will blindly go about their tasks regardless of what you do even if it kills them. All you can do is direct them to which cliff to dive off of.
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #86541

dionysus24779 wrote:Originally I wanted to post this as a "story of rage, tears and regret" or whatever, but I know how much hate and shit I would get for it. So instead I'll post it here.

This isn't really a story about a particular round, but more of a general experience playing a borg.
Spoiler:
When I started playing SS13 I didn't quite now what job was really the one I would have the most fun with. I started as an Assistant like many people, eventually picked up the Genetics job, then Science and so many others too, including stuff like Virology, Detective, HoS, Captain and RD... but nothing felt ever quite right. But then I tried to become a borg and I loved it, I loved everything about it. You have a specialized role that you excel in, but in return you're useless at everything else. You're bound to your laws which gives you a really interesting dynamic, especially with crazy laws. And you always had an AI to guide you and other borgs for support. And more often then not the crew kind of loved you by default. At first I often played Secborg because I didn't trust myself with the complicated engieborg stuff, shooting bad guys and bringing them in was easy enough after all. Though when I picked up the engieborg trait I really fell in love with the role of a borg since you're so useful to everyone.

But then the nerfs started to happen and over the span of just a few years I could see my most favourite job become less and less and less fun. The first big nerf I recall removed the incredibly cool ability to self-repair from engieborgs, one of my most favourite features and still dearly missed... though I agree that it might have been too OP since it was really hard to take down an engieborg. Also the health of borgs got reduced by quite a lot, in fact as I remember borgs were so fragile you wouldn't even have the time to react at all... I guess that was fixed or I just got used to it, I cannot tell. Additionally the RCD, the most useful tool of the engieborg, became insanely expensive to use from a power standpoint, but that's still nothing to compare to the ludicrous cost of a stunbaton swing for secborgs, making it almost unuseable in any practical way.

Later on the crit system for borgs was overhauled, borgs would now go into "crit" and they would loose the ability to use their modules at certain health percentages. This added an annoying level of micromanagement to the order in which you equip modules, if you aren't careful you could find yourself suddenly unable to continue the attack or self-defense.

Borgs gained but also lost the ability to manipulate lockers in any way, though what's worse is that borgs aren't allowed to look into containers anymore, making it impossible for a borg to search someone or something.

They also lost the ability to put things into disposals which is quite sad since it was often so very useful.

Somewhere along there the Secborgs tazer was overhauled. Instead of being able to spam infinite range taser bolts he then had the new disabler/tazer combo, now he had a tactical choice of using up to 20 disabler shots with infinite range that could go through glass, but needed three hits to down someone, or try his luck with up to 5 taser shots with limited range and the need for a free line of fire... but sadly that couldn't last and the Secborg was left with just a disabler... surely it does its job, but it removed the tactical option and made it neigh-impossible for a borg to go up against a blinking wizard.

With the introduction of the new medicine system the Mediborg also received new chemicals to heal people... but last time I checked these proved to be mostly useless, making people annoyed by the constant pricking and stalking mediborgs who just tried to help in vain. Also there's this small nerf to needles which cannot pierce thick clothes anymore, preventing the Mediborg from applying medicine in some situations.

To give the crew another weapon against borgs the Ion Rifle was added to the armory and some crewmembers now had basically long-range flashes in the form of laserpointers.

And then who could forget the EMP overhaul? Before EMPs, Flashes and Laserpointers merely stunned a borg, making it unable to move for a pretty long but sometimes random amount of time. But these days... borgs get stunned, blinded, muted and deafened and they have their Sprite messed up so they look dead. A Flash, a Laserpointer, any of the numerous EMP attacks will now basically parapen a borg, they cannot move, see or even speak to report how they die... maybe get their last location out so it can be found.

Another small but understandable nerf was that the cost of the VTEC was changed from gold to uranium (iirc) to prevent borgs from plundering the vault to get one... which I can understand.

And lately of course we have the greatly increased energy drain. Before a borg without any tools equipped could be active for a really long time, loosing only 1 unit of energy per tick, having one module equipped was a bearable drain on your cell, two were worse and with three you had to keep an eye on your cell. But now? You loose 5 energy per tick without any module equipped and each module seems to add an additional 30 to that drain. So if you have a single module equipped a standard 15k cell will be drained within roughly 7-8 minutes. If you're busy and have all three equipped... well you can barely roll from one end of the station to another. You will now constantly be at the recharger to recharge... hah the recharger isn't even able to fully charge you anymore, stopping at 14995 because the drain is too much. Before an engieborg could wire all four solars and be done with only ~25% energy spend... but now an engieborg can maybe wire one solar and be back to recharge with 50% left.

Of course I won't deny that borgs also received a few buffs here and there... which pale in comparison to the nerfs though. The Engie and Mediborgs got a variety of new tools to use, very useful for the engieborg, but the mediborg would merely be able to assist in a surgery for the lack of hands. Also borgs got the ability to quickly manipulate doors and airlocks like the AI can, perhaps the most important buff in terms of convinience. And then there was a much welcomed update to the Borg-UI, moving the SecHud and MedHud functions to a seperate and dedicated interface element and making it available to all borgs, so now even an engieborg could see who's wanted or hurt and sec- and mediborgs didn't need to waste a slot on the hud-item... this was perhaps the most important buff borgs ever received overall.

So yeah... I think playing a borg has finally become not that much fun to play anymore, which is sad since it really was my most favourite role and I'm not that motivated to really to pick up other jobs. It's not like I will never play borg again, especially now that positron-brains offer a new alternative for dead players to re-enter the game as potential borgs... but it still is a bummer.

And I know some people will tell me I'm whining because I'm not an "unstoppable killermachine" that I actually never asked to be. And hey, I didn't even mentioned anything about naming rights until now.
TL;DR: Borgs aren't much fun anymore.

Rejoice my haters.
I agree completely, although the increased energy drain is a bug.
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #86546

IcePacks wrote:MISGUIDED ANGER

i also find the almost widespread disregard for any chain of command irksome
It's shifts because "rounds" is breaking that fourth wall, you tard. And I can't fault anybody for not listening to you as captain when you treat is as being a really fancily dressed greyshirt.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
IcePacks

Post by IcePacks » #86550

hey other tard

the point was people referencing past rounds, which is even more fourth-wall breakier (unless you want to handwave it with muh sufficiently advanced science)

that was a pretty biting comment though considering your average captain is an all-access assistant
Cuboos
Byond Username: Cuboos

Post by Cuboos » #86591

For some fucking reason i am found out as a traitor early into the round for the crime of doing my fucking job. As a clown, i trip a few people with the banana peal, next thing i know Shitcurity McValid tasers me and drags me to the brig for "causing a disturbance" or some shit like that, only to do a thorough search and find my traitor gear. One time i was a chaplain healing people with my bible, i was a traitor with a non-kill job. But noooo, "i'm hitting people so i need to go to brig for assault on staff members oh looky there you found my emag WHAT ARE THE GOD DAMNED ODDS, HUH?". Another time i'm a CE and some random fucking assistant is trying to break into my office to get my blueprints. Not because it's his objective, but because he's building autism forts all over the fucking place and needs to add them to the blueprints so he can get atmos working in them. Something even the captain was tell him to stop. But noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, refusing to let the assistant have the blueprints is indangering human lives because these fucking autistic as holy fucking shit forts don't have an atmosphere, so a security borgs needs to DISABLE ME TO INFINITY and drag me back to brig. "Oh looky dooky you'z gots your selves 'here an emag, oh and what's that? Are you wearing THERMAL GOGGLES? Well since you're a piece of shit scumbag traitor who's objective was steal a tank of plasma and not kill anyone we need to FLASH THE EVER LOVING SHIT OUT OF YOUR EYES WITH THE THERMAL GOGGLES ON UNTIL YOUR BLIND AS A DEFORMED BAT THEN TOSS YOU INTO A LOCKED DOWN PERMA BECAUSE THAT'S MY FETISH". And then there was the one time when some random assmunch wants my teleport armor while i'm the RD, but i'm all mean and shit because i won't hand it over. So now i need to be punched to shit for it and oh whoopty do they found that emag after just happening to search my pockets looting the Teleport armor, "HEY SECURITY RD IS A FILTHY TATOR COME HARM BATON HIM". And don't even get me fucking started on those shit stains that just decide to disarm you fucking randomly for zero conceivable reason, until they push you over and they find that emag you used to get your objective YOU METAGAMING FUCK TARD.
/TG/ First and Only Sound guy
The only Dev unanimously loved least hated.
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #86593

Don't buy your gear until you do the deed, then get the fuck rid of it if you're gonna run around and cause problems. Damn dude.

That CE one is bullshit though.
IcePacks

Post by IcePacks » #86594

i promised myself i'd only post once in this thread but saegrimr threw down the gauntlet like a dumb mutineer so now i'm a regular

a) this guy just tried to copy my escalating rant with an unreadable wall of text (defeating the purpose of the format)
b) people don't dress for their job but rather for their 10x20px waifu to look more appealing to them

i'm ridiculously horny and lonely and even i find that a little objectionable
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #86595

IcePacks wrote:that was a pretty biting comment though considering your average captain is an all-access assistant
yeah seriously, the captain's only job (besides guarding the disk/not losing his gun and id) is overseeing other department heads, which means his entire job is reliant on people obeying the chain of command
otherwise he is literally no more than a guaranteed non-antag greyshirt with all access

"hey fagget captain if you want people to obey chain of command don't be a greyshirt with all access"
"okay i'll stop being a greyshirt with all access and do my job of overseeing the heads, RD how's science looking"
"fuck you captain fagget you dont no shit about science stop trying to tell me how to do my job"
"how about you HoS how's sec"
"i am the law don't tell me how to run my brig fagget captain you dont no shit about sec ill arrest u"
"HoP why is the clown in my office"
"fuck you captain fagget i am your equal u cant tell me who to not give access to"
"warden i know you're not a head but the HoS wont listen to me and i need help arresting the all access traitor clown"
"fuck you captain fagget i am the HoSs equal u cant tell me how to run the brig ill arrest u"
"okay this is a little silly i'm going to have to arrest this HoS for completely disobeying the chain of command and committing unauthorized executions"
"HELP CAPTAIN IS ROUGE HE IS ARRESTING ME, MUST BE A LING (adminhelp)" "LYNCH CAPTAIN HE ARRESTED HOP SHIT CAPTAIN LYNCH HE"
BWOINK why are you arresting the HoS permaban from all head roles until you explain yourself on the forum :^)
suicide/succumb as warden beats you to death with the help of the traitor clown and seven assistants the AI let in
BWOINK why did you suicide as a head role permaban from the game until you appeal on forums :^):^):^):^):^):^):^)

absolutely nobody respects the captain, even if he does his job, it's horseshit

and as long as we're whining
i hate when the FUCKING game times out when i roll FUCKING traitor on FUCKING sybil and by the time the game lets me rejoin the FUUUCKING shuttle's been called before i can do a single FUCKING thing
or when you FUUUUUUUCKING lose connection for three FUCKING seconds and you come back and you're a FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKING BRAAAAAAAIN and your FUCKING BODY IS BEING TURNED INTO MEAT BY THE FUCKING CHEF AS SEVENTY MILLION FUCKING ASSISTANTS STEAL ALL OF YOUR PRIZED POSSESSIONS FUUUUUUUCK

or when the fucking rev sees a latejoiner, not even a latejoining head, and is like "ayy lmao better go murder him hehehe :^)" and doesn't give any revheads a chance at converting him and then eventually the rev loses since there aren't enough revs because every non rev is fucking dead like what the fuck are you thinking

or fucking cultists who IMMEDIATELY run to the HoP line and use 3 stun talismans in PLAIN FUCKING SIGHT and the cult gets caught THREE MINUTES IN whilst the cultist gets fucking dunked instantly for being a retard like it's a TEAM GAME MODE WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING

also, >rolling nuke ops in general >rolling blob in general >wizard rounds without enough chaos >wizard rounds with too much chaos >wizard rounds in which you get four cursed items stuck to you >the fourth malf round in a row today >admins not forcing the new game modes more often

mad props if you read all my bullshit whining

also edit:
IcePacks wrote:a) this guy just tried to copy my escalating rant with an unreadable wall of text (defeating the purpose of the format)
ayy lmao
Last edited by PKPenguin321 on Fri May 08, 2015 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #86597

PKPenguin321 wrote:mad props if you read all my bullshit whining
Spoiler:
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #86604

Cuboos there is a damn good chance you will get hassled by the man if you are slipping people or punching them. I cannot possibly see how you were surprise for getting searched there
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #86606

PKPenguin321 wrote:absolutely nobody respects the captain, even if he does his job, it's horseshit
Enjoying that "light RP"? :^)
IcePacks

Post by IcePacks » #86619

the escalating font size rant is MY INVENTION and i say unreadable wall of text unironically
PKPenguin321 wrote: absolutely nobody respects the captain, even if he does his job, it's horseshit
there is a 5% chance enough people will respect you and your authority for you to direct them towards a goal but the chances of this happening rapidly diminish the more antags there are on the station (although many antags choose to pretend to respect authority under the misguided pretense that this is "normal behaviour")

i've even managed to get people to admit that they were wrong to doubt me mid-round as a growly dick captain
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #86652

Saegrimr wrote:
PKPenguin321 wrote:absolutely nobody respects the captain, even if he does his job, it's horseshit
Enjoying that "light RP"? :^)
well i don't play captain so yeah it's alright :^)
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #86710

The best way to get respect as a captain is to shed your responsibilities. A good method for doing so is either a) locate a traitor head of staff (there's usually at least 1) or b) fabricate convincing evidence for security (discretely to avoid an admin spotting you. Anonymous notes to the AI from a camera just next to a maint door are a good start, especially if you can get a hidden message console built)
Once part a is complete, robust the traitor(fake or not) by telling security about them, then take their place as the new head of whatever. Don't forget to promote their dead corpse.

disclaimer if you get caught doing option B) it's totally on you when the admins catch you.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
IcePacks

Post by IcePacks » #86768

Not-Dorsidarf wrote:The best way to get respect as a captain is to shed your responsibilities.

you're part of the problem
TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #86775

If you're a captain delegate your heads, make sure people go to the appropriate heads and not to you.

Just use the chain of command and keep things organized and working smoothly.
Loonikus
Byond Username: Loonicus

Post by Loonikus » #86792

In all seriousness, being a good Captain is theoretically all about delegating and directing. I prefer to skip over the command channel and simply talk on each department radio. I'd rather know that the entire department heard an order than just the head. For example, if I'm in the bridge and I notice atmos alarms in cargo, I'll get on the engineering channel and tell the entire department to get to work. I'll let the CE decide how and who actually goes and does it. If someone unleashes a gold slime core in science, I'll hop on the medbay channel and tell them to standby for a triage, but let the CMO decide how to go about it. I'll only really leave the bridge ever to complete a very specific task, and even than I'll scurry right back to it once I'm done.

In practice nobody really gives a shit what I say and they kinda do their own thing. Thus, I tend to run gimmicks to keep myself sane.
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #86833

>borgs getting fuzzy white static when they get hit
>mining borgs are fucking shit
>engiborgs used to be literally masterrace
>flashlights need to be active
>getting flashed is ggnore can't even sa :b help

Fuck the first and last ones, I swear to god there is someone with a grudge against borgs

Literally all that's good about borg nowadays is not choosing a module lets your power run for some time and you can just spend the entire round talking shit and bantering while being able to go anywhere and pull stuff around.
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #86853

I really wish Asimov wasn't automatically the default lawset. It should either be randomly chosen at roundstart, or the captain is told to pick one upon spawning. Fucking Asimov AIs always interfere when I burn traitors alive in the courtroom for all to see.