For the love of god please stop uploading huge songs.

callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

For the love of god please stop uploading huge songs.

Post by callanrockslol » #85769

They lag out the game worse than anything else short of crashing the server for a good three or four seconds, please keep them smaller or don't use them all the time.
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Re: For the love of god please stop uploading huge songs.

Post by peoplearestrange » #85840

I could be other issues as well, right now there are a lot of bug issues that cause huge server lag and spikes (particularly atmospheric processing when there is a hull breech etc). Personally I haven't noticed songs directly having an impact on the server, which is why we limit them to 1mb. Also most of what is played these days are midi's which are only around 10's of kb which really shouldn't impact anything.
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #85874

I don't think I've seen an ogg actually lag the server. Ever.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #85881

Yeah I've never actually seen an ogg cause lag, they're like 1024kb max
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #85882

1mb * however many people are on the server.

It adds up quickly during higher pop times.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #85894

Even so, the connection and server should easily be able to handle 50-80mb of data. And thats at absolute tops.
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
Falamazeer
Byond Username: Wootanon

Post by Falamazeer » #85947

Hmm, maybe it's not everyone then.
But when some songs get loaded, right before they start playing I get some freezing.

Someone played the old runescape song a while ago and it did it for me.
Wasn't bad enough to complain about, it was about on par with a bomb going off somewhere off screen.
Ham Sammich, beating a dead horse since 2010.
NikNakFlak wrote:....It's true...that is why I removed my forum avatar
lumipharon wrote:ass parasite was pretty meh when I tried it.
peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #86148

Hmmm strange, if it was a midi then it definitely shouldn't have lagged. Does sound like its an issue for you though. Give us a bwoink next time you see me on and I'll try some experimenting, see if we can nail it down.
Whatever
Spoiler:
Saegrimr wrote:
IM TRYING
Kor wrote:
Are you having a stroke

I'm a box
ChangelingRain
Byond Username: ChangelingRain
Github Username: ChangelingRain

Post by ChangelingRain » #86827

Not everybody has a good connection please don't upload 30 mb songs
Plays Joan Lung and various AIs and cyborgs with mythology and magical creature-themed names. Joan on IRC.
earth-clawing illuminati trans girl
peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #86889

Anonus wrote:Not everybody has a good connection please don't upload 30 mb songs
Did you read a single post on this thread?

We're limited to 1mb songs at absolute max. It could in theory put the SERVER under more load because its 1mb per connection, which could in theory cause a slight burst of lag. However 1mb is a pretty small load for your "bad connection" to be able to deal with.
Whatever
Spoiler:
Saegrimr wrote:
IM TRYING
Kor wrote:
Are you having a stroke

I'm a box
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays
Byond Username: An0n3

Post by Timbrewolf » #86931

I remember uploading single .oggs at like 500kb and people bitching WOW PLS STOP SPAMMING 10MB MP3S

If your connection can't handle it (and the problem is on your end, the server can definitely handle it) go through your preferences and disable the music. You can fix this problem yourselves. People who aren't connecting to the server via two dixie cups and some fishing line can enjoy some tunes while they play and you guys can enjoy your blistering 5fps MLG spessmens game that absolutely positively cannot be ruined by a moments stuttering of lag.

How fucking new can you be, though, to complain about a momentary stutter on your end when someone plays a song? The server used to lag like that constantly the entire time. Git gud. We wore the lag like weight bracelets and trained like motherfucking space Goku to be robust even when the game is moments away from crashing.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #86967

The server halts completely for a couple of seconds when bigger songs are uploaded. It has nothing to do with client connection speed.
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #86970

You are aware that, when it does that, it's the game downloading the song and is usually related to your connection, right? The entire server doesn't come to a screeching halt, it's your client doing it.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #86980

Then it's the client that can't handle it.
kosmos
Byond Username: Kingofkosmos

Post by kosmos » #86995

I know my shitty connection and my location in Europe can't handle it. Ping rises from normal 0.2 to 0.4 and it's very noticeable. It would be ok if turning the music off would help, but it's still streaming silently in the background.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #87015

A spike to 400ms from 200ms in a game that runs at 5fps means you lost a single frame.

I know you're pushing to have SS13 fisticuffs main at EVO and I'm sorry someone playing an .ogg is holding you back. I bet with enough funding we can get the server moved over to using GGPO and the RAGE CAGE will finally get the respect in the FGC it deserves.

I can't stress enough that during the Golden Era of /tg/station we were playing the game at 5 SECONDS PER FRAME.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Zelacks
Byond Username: Zelacks

Post by Zelacks » #87016

An0n3 wrote:A spike to 400ms from 200ms in a game that runs at 5fps means you lost a single frame.

I know you're pushing to have SS13 fisticuffs main at EVO and I'm sorry someone playing an .ogg is holding you back. I bet with enough funding we can get the server moved over to using GGPO and the RAGE CAGE will finally get the respect in the FGC it deserves.

I can't stress enough that during the Golden Era of /tg/station we were playing the game at 5 SECONDS PER FRAME.
I mean I think there is a failure to emphasis the issue. Some clients (including myself previously) when there is a massive sound file uploaded, will experience a freeze of up to 10 seconds (read: losing more than a single frame). Conversely, clients that experience this freeze can just disable midis to avoid the freeze, but then they miss out on midis that they enjoy/wont lag them out.
I think this thread is more about letting admins know that this is a thing that happens (although the OP seems to berate people about it). AKA please acknowledge this as a legitimate issue because it does happen, don't just shove it off.
"A game about running around and getting in fights. Then you complain to the admins to get the other guy banned. There's also a space station or something"
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #87021

What is a "massive" sound file though? There's a limit of roughly 1mb hardcoded into the game and I was teaching people how to compress sounds down to around 500-600kb per .ogg before I decided to fuck off this planet.

If people playing sound files of that size is an issue for you, turn them off.
If "my game being a stable 5fps" is more important than "hey music/funny sound!", turn them off.

Telling admins to never play anything that isn't a sub-50kb midi again because your game might lag punishes everyone else on the server because of your crappy connection and sour-puss attitude.

The solution to this problem isn't to institute some kind of policy, disable oggs, or tell admins to cut the shit out.
It's a simple button press on the client's side to just turn them off if they're giving you problems.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW: