Dark Souls 2

Talk about video games here
TheTerbs
In Game PermaBanned

Dark Souls 2

Post by TheTerbs » #836

its ok

difficulty is more artificial, relies mostly on just how slow and unwieldy you are, raising your ADP high makes the game easier

hexes are crazy OP, in fact every type of magic is super fucking OP, in NG+ pvp your only going to get 1 shotted by some big naked fat guy casting soul geyser or great crystal soul arrow and shit

story almost non existent, at one point an NPC even says theres no specific reason your doing all of this

game looks OK, its a step down from Dark Souls graphics wise

i give dark souls 1 a 9/10 and dark souls 2 a solid 7/10

also invasions are ruined, there are no non consumable items that let your invade people, except some gay covenant thats broken

you have to buy cracked blue and red stones

>still no boss rush mode
you're gonna carry that weight
Alex Crimson
Byond Username: Dazbuzz

Re: dark souls 2

Post by Alex Crimson » #927

Im still playing the first one. From what ive seen of the second though it looks fun. If you dont like the whole invasion thing, why not try to Rat covenant? Players get pulled into your own little mini-dungeon, or something.
TheTerbs
In Game PermaBanned

Post by TheTerbs » #1014

Alex Crimson wrote:Im still playing the first one. From what ive seen of the second though it looks fun. If you dont like the whole invasion thing, why not try to Rat covenant? Players get pulled into your own little mini-dungeon, or something.
its just not the same as invading somebody trying to progress through a level, the rat cov has a very small radius of invasions
Mr Wondrous
Rarely plays

Post by Mr Wondrous » #1667

So has magic gone back to Demons Souls level ez mode?
Spoiler:
You did play demons souls right? :^)
ExplosiveCrate
Byond Username: ExplosiveCrate

Post by ExplosiveCrate » #1670

Magic is ridiculously overpowered right now, in comparison to anything else. Magic users hit harder with their swords, shoot faster than any bows, and deal ten times as much damage as pure physical builds -- if you have armor that specializes in blocking that damage type.

And the worst part is that since your level doesn't matter in PvP anymore, all you're going to see is people fastrolling in havel's armor powerstancing two mundane avelyns with fifty casts of great resonant soul as backup. And they have 3000 HP.
i dont even know what the context for my signature was
TheTerbs
In Game PermaBanned

Post by TheTerbs » #1685

Mr Wondrous wrote:So has magic gone back to Demons Souls level ez mode?
Spoiler:
You did play demons souls right? :^)
yeah i played the fuck out of DeS, NG++++++ meat cleaver + glutinous shield

it pretty much did, miracles are really fucking strong and i can snipe people with lightning spears

you just use the binoculars and i can hit people from fucking forever away

hexes are ez mode its fucking bananas, ive been hit by basic fuckin dark orb hexes for over 1500 damage
Mr Wondrous
Rarely plays

Post by Mr Wondrous » #1687

Souls pvp has always been a joke anways
TheTerbs
In Game PermaBanned

Post by TheTerbs » #1695

Mr Wondrous wrote:Souls pvp has always been a joke anways
DeS had the best PVP, getting invaded a shit ton from people with scraping spears and shit, it was horrifying
Mr Wondrous
Rarely plays

Post by Mr Wondrous » #1701

TheTerbs wrote:
Mr Wondrous wrote:Souls pvp has always been a joke anways
DeS had the best PVP, getting invaded a shit ton from people with scraping spears and shit, it was horrifying
I used to sit in world 3-3 waiting to get summoned by the boss, then I would park myself at a 90 degree angle from the fog gate so I could see people coming in but they couldn't see me and I would charge up Firestorm while they walked in and one shot them instantly.
WeeYakk
Byond Username: Yakk

Post by WeeYakk » #1814

The tutorial keeps telling me to press xbox buttons and the keyboard controls are ass. I payed 50bux to find out I need to go buy an xbawks controller.
Mr Wondrous
Rarely plays

Post by Mr Wondrous » #1831

Son its 2014 how do you not have a gamepad?
WeeYakk
Byond Username: Yakk

Post by WeeYakk » #1914

Mr Wondrous wrote:Son its 2014 how do you not have a gamepad?
Why would I need one when KB+M is the master race for all but select fighting games?
Mr Wondrous
Rarely plays

Post by Mr Wondrous » #1928

That's a pretty wrong opinion you have there. If you game on PC and don't take advantage of having access to basically every peripheral you're a dingus.
KingLouisXIV
Byond Username: KingLouisXIV

Post by KingLouisXIV » #2041

WeeYakk wrote:
Mr Wondrous wrote:Son its 2014 how do you not have a gamepad?
Why would I need one when KB+M is the master race for all but select fighting games?
Gamepads are amazing for certain games.

I've used mine for Strike Suit Zero, Spelunky, Kingdoms of Amalur and not to mention Dark Souls. All four just feel much, much better with a controller.
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #2095

Mr Wondrous wrote:That's a pretty wrong opinion you have there. If you game on PC and don't take advantage of having access to basically every peripheral you're a dingus.
Keyboard and mouse work fine. The problem in DS2 is that there's mouse input lag, a whole second before the game acts on your clicks. I actually played like this for awhile before I figured out it wasn't a built in mechanic and fixed it with a program to rebind keys.
mrpain
Byond Username: Mrpain666

Re: Dark Souls 2

Post by mrpain » #2646

Soul memory jut kills it for me, followed by the broken covenants. Despawning enemies kind of scares you when the souls start to run out too.

Dont buy it until From patches it, if ever.

If it werent for those mechanics it probably would have been my personal game of the year.
/vg/station Head Admin
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #2649

I'm disappointed but not surprised.

Almost all the lore and story is tied to winks to the player or references to dark souls, the difficulty is now based almost entirely in merely having the patience to deal with multiple enemies rather than just one interesting one, the enemies and bosses are almost all just humanoids with big weapons and they screwed up combat in several ways, especially monsters tracking you. Not only are roll invincibility frames reduce but now it's difficult to dodge overhead strikes too because enemies can spin on a dime.

It a not bad, just worse. The port is almost perfect though and the game is definitely pretty if not spectacularly well designed.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Stephie

Post by Stephie » #3200

I decided to give in and download a "trial" version of the game, and it seemed fun, but, god, the controls. Who in their right mind decided to FORCE input lag in a game that requires almost frame-perfect decisions? I had to switch from mouse to gamepad for bosses to even stand a chance. Does the Steam version work well with gamepads, at least? It's impossible to even rotate the camera in the version I'm playing right now, and Steam one is going to take a while to finish downloading.
miggles
Byond Username: Miggles

Post by miggles » #3231

I've been using a PS3 controller to play the entire game and it works perfectly fine.
I'm pretty sure i-frames were entirely removed. If they were reduced, then you must need perfect timing to make use of them. I've not seen them at all.
My main issue with this game is that in PvP, other players can hit from distances that seem absolutely impossible. I've seen many times people with normal-sized swords hitting me while the sword made no contact with me whatsoever. I don't even think it's latency, since every other aspect of the battle seems to work fine and my internet is pretty dang good.
I'm getting kind of bored with normal weapons, so I've started leveling up my faith and intelligence a bit. The only spell I can use right now is great soul arrow, but I have the ability to use dark orb as soon as I buy it.
dezzmont wrote:I am one of sawrge's alt accounts
dezzmont wrote:sawrge has it right.
Connor wrote:miggles is correct though
Kraso
Byond Username: S0ldi3rKr4s0
Github Username: Kraseo

Post by Kraso » #3243

more like Teleglitch: Die Even More part 2: Electric Boogaloo
ExplosiveCrate

Post by ExplosiveCrate » #3253

I-frames are still there, but they heavily rely on ADP. At 20 it's very, very noticeable. At around 30-35 it's almost at Dark Souls levels. Then it hits the second soft cap.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #3276

I run adp and rolling I frames work quite well. Then I run into 360 swinging weapons with my powerstancer and it is just ugh.
SergeantSkread
Byond Username: SergeantSkread

Post by SergeantSkread » #3280

all I know about this game is that people say it is very difficult and that it's in a medieval setting. is it worth getting for ps3? (console peasant here)
ExplosiveCrate

Post by ExplosiveCrate » #3306

It's not that difficult, you just have to get used to the playing style and have enough patience to learn enemy patterns.

The PS3 has the most populated community, and time will tell how much worse the problem of modified saves will be in the long run, especially on the PC.
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #3308

SergeantSkread wrote:all I know about this game is that people say it is very difficult and that it's in a medieval setting. is it worth getting for ps3? (console peasaant here)
Get Dark Souls. Up until the end of Amor londo it's a fucking classic.

Then it gets worse due to the rushed development
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
fleure
Byond Username: Fleure

Post by fleure » #4246

There's a lot of great ideas and mechanics and a lot of terrible ideas and mechanics... just like the first two games really.

That being said, I do love it. Soul memory makes absolutely no fucking sense, though. It should really go back to SL for connecting to others in NG+, at the very least.
Ex-/tg/station maintainer for being a lazy shit.
Drynwyn
Byond Username: Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #4346

What's wrong with Soul Memory?
In game, I play the A.I Firmware, the French cyborg C.U.R.I.E, Aubrie Allen, and the lizard scum Skulks-Through-Maintenance.
fleure

Post by fleure » #4347

ExplosiveCrate

Post by ExplosiveCrate » #4349

If you don't understand, soul memory is the only way people are matched up, so it's perfectly possible for a level 800+ player to invade a level 1 player who's just started playing the game (something that's happened before) and removes any incentive to stay at a lower level for the same of PvP while discouraging specialization.
Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #4374

I thought soul memory was the total number of souls you have spent? Doesn't that increase with level?
In game, I play the A.I Firmware, the French cyborg C.U.R.I.E, Aubrie Allen, and the lizard scum Skulks-Through-Maintenance.
ExplosiveCrate

Post by ExplosiveCrate » #4411

Total number of souls ever collected. There's already several modified save files that plop you down with 999999999999999 souls and 0 soul memory. Since you technically never actually *get* any souls, you're free to level up to 843 and harass level 1 players, or just mess up their SM permanently by throwing yourself off a cliff.
Reyouka
Byond Username: Reyouka

Post by Reyouka » #4476

Soul memory stops mattering after 12 mil apparently, where you just get tossed into a giant pool anyways.
[img]http://steamsignature.com/status/english/76561197966737024.png[/img][url=steam://friends/add/76561197966737024]Image[/url]
fleure

Post by fleure » #4485

So 12+ mil is its own seperate pool up to whatever the cap is? Interesting, and could help a bit with players being too dispersed. Although it still doesn't solve the issue of little or no SL matching. My character is at about 2.5mil but only 75 SL or so, since I've been doing a lot of sunbroing. Problem is with that amount of SM it happily matches me with SL120 and beyond. Not to mention according to From's own data scraping on the Beyond the Bonfire site, a vast, vast majority of players seem to be SL200+, where you can easily hit at least five soft caps of attributes. It's not too clear how much of that is PVP but even at the supposed SL150, it basically makes builds and stat management a moot point.

I don't understand what problem SL had aside from some frustrating twinking in earlier games, but surely the Blue Sentinel/Way of the Blue covenant should be helping this if we went back to the old SL matching system (Blue phantoms were matched to all SLs below, unless I'm mistaken, in DaS).

I love the game but good heavens SM just makes no sense to me.
Stephie

Post by Stephie » #4487

I still haven't figured out what was the idea behind Soul Memory, either. I mean, looking at it, it's probably supposed to take into account the souls that you spent on upgrading your weaponry and armor (which was often said to be more important than level in DS) as well as to reflect your overall experience with the game. But, then you have people who spend souls on nothing but levels and then run around pwning noobs in twinked gear and at crazy SLs, when the former was already the problem with DS, and latter wasn't so severe, since the worst you had to fear at SL50 was a min-maxed build of some sorts.

I got a bit of experience in the pirated version, so now I'm SL 158 with 2,5 millions SM, but if I had to play as my first character instead, I probably wouldn't sunbro nearly as well with the same 2 millions memory and level 85 (I think), since, even now, I already get summoned to Freya fights where small spiders one shot me right as I enter the gate.
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #4494

Dark wraiths who never leveled up then used elemental weapons on new players was sorta counter intuitive to getting new players. With elemental weapons stat scaling now though and invasions toned down it seems unnecessary, I mean was the threat of raw weapons alone worth this roundabout solution?
Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #7411

Warning: Sillies incoming,

A look at the world of Dark Souls quickly confirms that this is not the last gasps of some boring world we don't care about.
It is clearly Westeros, the world of Game of Thrones! Consider the following obvious parallels:

Unintelligent White Walkers are the Hollowed.
Intelligent White Walkers are the Cursed.
The Lord of Light is Gwyn, Lord Of Sunlight, who created the bonfires when the Wall crumbled and darkness descended upon men.
The Eyrie is Anor Londo- both are high up in the mountains, and due to it's position and legendary defenses, the Eyrie would have been one of the last strongholds of man to fall and the final home of the beleaguered gods.

Note: This is why the white walkers are seemingly endless. They can re-spawn!

The Wall shattered, exposing mankind to the wrath of the White Walkers(Hollowed). In response, The Lord Of Light (Gwyn, Lord of Sunlight) created the bonfires, and took command of the Eyrie, which over the next century would become Anor Londo. As their power, waned, he commanded his priestess Melisandre (The Witch of Izalith) to attempt to rekindle the bonfires, then linked them, and commanded Seath the Scaleless (Some dragon in GoT, there's got to be a spare somewhere) to search through the Citadel in Oldtown (The Duke's Archive) for some arcane tidbit that could stave off the encroaching white walkers.

It just makes too much sense.
Mr Wondrous
Rarely plays

Post by Mr Wondrous » #9354

So I just discovered the joys of the Rat Covenant. Turning the Doors of Pharros into your own personal rape cave is great. I made a build especially for it, toxic all day every day.
Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #9362

Yeah, but if your opponent is competent he'll just run past you.
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #9363

Doors isn't the best place to leg it. Water slows you down and there are oodles of traps on the higher level. I like to just sit on the higher level above where they come in then drop down like a spider once they start trying to clear the mobs.
Kavaloosh

Post by Kavaloosh » #9371

Spoiler:
Confront them with annihilation, and they will then survive; plunge them into a deadly situation, and they will then live. When people fall into danger, they are then able to strive for victory.
fleure

Post by fleure » #9863

[youtube]w0YvHBxv-3Y[/youtube]

SHOTGUNS CONFIRMED
IT'S HAPPENING
miggles

Post by miggles » #9885

van helsouls
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #10128

Fromdrones are worse than fatluses with the hype on /v/ right now
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
ColonicAcid
Byond Username: ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #10204

>I've played for 1 hour 44 minutes and I'm still trying to kill the Heide Knight at the start of the Forest of Fallen Giants.

I think I need to
Spoiler:
git gud
It's fun and all but if you fuck up your start you're fucked throughout most of the game, I've run out of human effigies and I don't think I can continue with like only half of my already minuscule health.
crack is whack but smacks got your back
Kavaloosh

Post by Kavaloosh » #10260

you'll git gud, don't you worry, i did the same thing
Confront them with annihilation, and they will then survive; plunge them into a deadly situation, and they will then live. When people fall into danger, they are then able to strive for victory.
miggles

Post by miggles » #10331

yo m7 dont use your effigies unless you really need to
when you get the small white soapstone you can use that to be a shade and help people, you'll get humanity and small smooth stones you can use to trade with the birds
if you need help i can help you, i can make a new character and you can summon me if you want
Mr Wondrous
Rarely plays

Post by Mr Wondrous » #10459

Talk to Pate in Forest of Fallen Gaints, go through the little dungeon trap he's next to and talk to him again he'll give you the large soapstone. You don't have to kill Heide knights

Restart as a sorcerer and blast your way through the game on ez mode
ColonicAcid
Byond Username: ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #10483

miggles wrote:yo m7 dont use your effigies unless you really need to
when you get the small white soapstone you can use that to be a shade and help people, you'll get humanity and small smooth stones you can use to trade with the birds
if you need help i can help you, i can make a new character and you can summon me if you want
I
Spoiler:
pirated
it because I wanted to check if I could play it with M+KB. I can but it's bit of a mess sometimes so I'm probably going to hold buying it until I can jack a controller.

But I don't want to play sorcerer ;_;
crack is whack but smacks got your back
TheTerbs
In Game PermaBanned

Post by TheTerbs » #10505

Mr Wondrous wrote:Talk to Pate in Forest of Fallen Gaints, go through the little dungeon trap he's next to and talk to him again he'll give you the large soapstone. You don't have to kill Heide knights

Restart as a sorcerer and blast your way through the game on ez mode
you find magic urns in the first level, two of those will kill the first heide knight and he drops his OP as fuck sword i used for half the game
Mr Wondrous
Rarely plays

Post by Mr Wondrous » #10510

Bell Keepers best covenant.

I invade using Velstadt's sacred chime hammer, I feel it is thematically appropriate.
Don't touch that fucking bell!