Event Workshop

Users can post replies, but only game admins, mods, and forum admins may post topics. Mainly for questions and official discussions
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Event Workshop

Post by Stickymayhem » #91531

Credit to Operative.

It would be nice to have a place to discuss and deconstruct recent events, workshop new ones with players and generally let those interested contribute ideas and give a better idea of what they want and expect from events. This would also be a great spot for admins to explain the intricacies and challenges of running particular events. I know that on the surface players may not be aware of the tools we have available and the compromises we have to make to get things working.

For example, I have an event I occasionally throw where a large mineral rich chunk of asteroid slams into the station. It's a simple idea but it takes a lot of manipulation to get it working well, and is one of quite a few events that are built along with the player's discovery I use. So I'll describe how that goes down.
Spoiler:
1. I buy time by subtly creating a new maintenance path that leaves me with ample space to start attaching the asteroid to the station.
2. I deconstruct the areas I don't want involved, such as solars, and build the frame for the meteor. Once I'm done with that I use explosions where the meteor connects, announce it and quickly make some final touches to the connective area where the impact would have taken place.
3. At this point it's a race against time to fill the internal area with asteroid turfs, tile by tile using build mode and bulk out the edges.
4. I once got the complaint that the mining mobs that appear around the asteroid tend to bog everything down. It was a good criticism but one I can't really implement. I need that time to finish the interior, and it gives people something to do and an idea of what to expect inside the asteroid.
5. The internals are easy. Just clicking random mineral walls around until some vague paths appear, then filling them in.
6. In the centre I put whatever the story is going to be. For a simple time, aliens in an old lab. But there have been mad scientists working on a new form of research, syndicate technology, sentient aliens and all other kinds of things.

One thing I like is that it really makes miners the heroes of the group, and they don't tend to get a lot of attention in station-wide events compared to people like command staff, science and security. Plus it's a cheeky way to give the station easy materials at the same time, because I use the higher chance mineral turfs that are pretty generous.
Also I'm aware we have an event thread, but it's not really used in a meaningful way.

YOUR EVENT WAS SHIT is for admin feedback, not here. Deconstruct why the event was bad rather than getting upset by them.

So yeah ask questions, post events you'd want to see, admins can talk about their events and how they work, along with the challenges in running them.

Oh and feel free to discuss button mashing, but there is a definite difference between that kind of thing and crafted events. Button-mashing can occur in, usually at the end of, good events but events tend not to just be button-mashing.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Re: Event Workshop

Post by TheNightingale » #91539

Why not fill the internal area first and then do the explosions? It stops a particularly fast miner noticing your half-built asteroid.
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #91542

TheNightingale wrote:Why not fill the internal area first and then do the explosions? It stops a particularly fast miner noticing your half-built asteroid.
People know the map very well and I've yet to not have curious people breaking those walls I put up in maintenance by the time I've finished the outer layer.

If too many people notice the asteroid before the explosions it gets a bit immersion breaking.

Also miners are almost always on the actual asteroid and not roaming random parts of maintenance in the first 10-20 minutes
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #91557

Just use rwalls instead of regular walls. People will usually go around rwalls because theyre such a pain.

Or use unsim walls to emphasize the point
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #91564

Not-Dorsidarf wrote:Just use rwalls instead of regular walls. People will usually go around rwalls because theyre such a pain.

Or use unsim walls to emphasize the point
Mixing simulated and unsimulated turfs causes the megaheatdeath bug.

And I am using r-walls but people will still tunnel through them. R-walls in maint is suspicious as hell.
Thunder11
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Thunder12345
Github Username: Thunder12345

Post by Thunder11 » #91581

The new shuttle code could make that a bit easier. If you build the asteroid on CentComm, set up a destination where you want it to hit and send it from a console on CentComm, everything'll be ready as soon as you send it. Then you just need to make the explosions before anyone finds it.
ImageImage
Spoiler:
IcePacks wrote:
MrFoster wrote:Back in my day, we didn't complain about lag! We used it to queue attacks!
That's thinking on your feet, soldier!
Quality Paprika from #coderbus wrote:[11:35.52] <paprika> holy crap so yeah i don't care about your opinion at all
oranges wrote:
Excuse me? Thats for sensible and calm rational debate, not for senseless whining.
Resident Catmin, please direct catposting to: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=5578
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #91583

Is there no way to make a nigh indestructible wall that won't break the game? If not then that would be a good feature so admins can create areas where you have to go through pre-designated entrances and checkpoints.
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #91584

Thunder11 wrote:The new shuttle code could make that a bit easier. If you build the asteroid on CentComm, set up a destination where you want it to hit and send it from a console on CentComm, everything'll be ready as soon as you send it. Then you just need to make the explosions before anyone finds it.
Shuttle code only moves shuttle turfs.

Respriting a shuttle that big would literally take forty minutes alone, and the rock wouldn't be breakable.
Steelpoint wrote:Is there no way to make a nigh indestructible wall that won't break the game? If not then that would be a good feature so admins can create areas where you have to go through pre-designated entrances and checkpoints.
I think the main issue is the moment you change something, someone is going to stop there and try to figure out what's going on, leading to more people noticing that person and before long a crowd forms.

It really does happen almost every time we do build mode projects like this. Another problem is the more time you spend trying to make the build itself really sneaky, the less you have for the build. One important thing in running events is getting shit done fast. People get really antsy with nothing to do for more than half an hour.

Then again, this event in particular is fairly unique in that it relies on building something attached to the station. With other build mode events we can afford to have what we're building separated and then connect it later.
Thunder11
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Thunder12345
Github Username: Thunder12345

Post by Thunder11 » #91587

Stickymayhem wrote:
Thunder11 wrote:The new shuttle code could make that a bit easier. If you build the asteroid on CentComm, set up a destination where you want it to hit and send it from a console on CentComm, everything'll be ready as soon as you send it. Then you just need to make the explosions before anyone finds it.

Respriting a shuttle that big would literally take forty minutes alone, and the rock wouldn't be breakable.
Carn pls
ImageImage
Spoiler:
IcePacks wrote:
MrFoster wrote:Back in my day, we didn't complain about lag! We used it to queue attacks!
That's thinking on your feet, soldier!
Quality Paprika from #coderbus wrote:[11:35.52] <paprika> holy crap so yeah i don't care about your opinion at all
oranges wrote:
Excuse me? Thats for sensible and calm rational debate, not for senseless whining.
Resident Catmin, please direct catposting to: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=5578
AnturK
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Anturke

Post by AnturK » #91605

Time for shilling: https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-station/pull/9588
Should cut the time a bit for making large event areas.
Arete
Byond Username: Arete

Post by Arete » #91656

Really glad to see that this idea was picked up. I hadn't realized how unfriendly the BYOND interface was to creating custom rooms on the fly. It gives me a lot more sympathy for how some events take so long to get off the ground. Until recently, I had mostly been playing in the late night time slots without many events, so I can't make too many specific criticisms, but I do have a couple thousand hours of experience GMing tabletop games, so hopefully I can come up with something useful here.

The first thing to remember when making an event is that it's replacing a standard round. Most SS13 players choose to keep playing the game because the standard round types give them the kind of experience they want. If you're replacing a standard round, then you should be going down the checklist of the things the standard round types offer and making sure that your event does those things at least as well. The list itself is up for debate, but here's what I think it boils down to.

1. There must be something to overcome.

All the roundtypes have some sort of enemy trying to impose some sort of failure condition. Even the antags that don't try to trigger a premature round end screen (wizards, traitors) generally want to disrupt the routine workings of the station, and the desire to defy them is the reason that the shuttle isn't instantly called whenever wizard or traitor is confirmed. It's important for events to tap into that competitive impulse or else the players will have a hard time caring about the event. "Look at this cool thing" isn't enough to sustain an event by itself.

2. Everyone must be able to interact with the threat.

This means different things in different rounds. Even if a blob never reaches your department, you'll still hear over the radio where you need to go to fight it, and every department has something they can do to help their fellow crew. Wizards and traitors tend to cause widespread chaos even for those that don't chase after them directly, revolution involves most of the crew being conscripted by one side or the other. When you see a horde of crewmembers crowding around the Centcomm shuttle or toolboxing the changeling ambassador, it's because they're desperately trying to make the event fulfill this point. It's no fun if the entire event happens in the captain's office.

3. The players should be able to either win or lose.

In other words, each side should have a fair shot at winning, but a significant chance of losing, and the outcome should not be exclusively in the GM's hands. This is why it's considered important to tweak the balance toward a 50/50 win chance. Losing can be fun, but only if it was a near thing and you can still watch your team mates struggling to pull it off. And without some risk of failure, an event will end up feeling more like you're just watching things happen. Most importantly, the win-or-lose moment shouldn't just be the GM saying "You pass" or "You fail." It needs to be something that arises organically out of gameplay that even the GM clearly couldn't have predicted. Combat is the most obvious way to achieve this sort of feeling, but there are other objectively pass/fail things you can do within the mechanics, like finding and defusing bombs or achieving a certain evacuation percentage.

I think it's important for event-makers to follow a checklist like this one. Even if you disagree with these particular points, make an alternative and put it somewhere that people will be able to refer to when conceptualizing events. If you can look back at poorly-received events and identify a pattern in where they're failing, then you can make the appropriate changes when crafting future events.

I'm going to examine a couple of recent events using these metrics.

The first is HBL's fleet battle. We were notified early in the round that a few syndicate ships were coming to attack the station. The crew definitely got hyped up for the fight and were eager to secure victory for the station, so I'd call that a success on point 1. However, as the round stretched on, not much happened for most of the crew. An officer from a friendly cruiser showed up and got mobbed by bored crew, and there were frequent announcements about a space battle happening offscreen, but there wasn't really anything the crew could do to interact with it. When one of the syndicate ships crashed into the station, there was apparently a battle as the syndicate ship was boarded, but by that time we had been encouraged to call the emergency shuttle and I'm pretty sure most of the crew never even saw the crash site. Telecomms were down, so I didn't even know there had been a crash and a battle until after the round. The players who had been involved seemed really satisfied by the outcome, so I suppose point 3 was fulfilled but point 2 wasn't.

The second is Sly's recent Thunderdome event. We were notified early in the round that the station's fate would be decided by a Thunderdome match and that the five most robust crewmembers should step into a teleportation area to get sent. I was pretty excited to participate (despite my absolute lack of robustness), though apparently the response from the crew was lukewarm. There was a 5v5 match, the crew lost, and the station was informed that a deathsquad would be coming to kill everyone, but the syndicate would be teleporting in weaponry for the crew to defend themselves. I heard a lot of enthusiasm while ghosted, so I think points 1 and 2 were filled by the entire crew getting to arm up and prepare to defend themselves, but the double deathsquad that was sent was just too powerful for the crew to take on and their defeat was basically inevitable, so the event fell flat on point 3. I think that if the deathsquad had been better tailored to the crew's strength, the event would've been a complete success.

I've written a lot of words here, so

tl;dr Make a "good event checklist," try to identify which parts poorly-received events failed at, modify the list as needed.
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #91660

Thunder11 wrote:
Stickymayhem wrote:

Carn pls
I came

Holy wall of text. It's a good wall of text though. I'd like to make an event guideline thread maybe we could piece that together. Your checklist looks like a good basis for that.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #91711

There needs to be more clear instructions on who or what is "valid" or how you're supposed to react to them.

We had a round recently with rival deities and every time I'd try to arrest one of their skeleton followers they'd just adminheal and teleport away.

Later though I got turned into a skeleton and just murdered all the enemy worshipers with no repercussions, IC or otherwise.

OOC was abuzz with "are X people valid"

I know the idea of "valid" clashes with the roleplay of an event, but if people don't know how they're allowed to interact, they're not going to have much fun, because they'll mill about confused and afraid of being banned.

Likewise it was frustrating to the point that I started ignoring the event when things teleported away from me. If admins are just gonna undo everything I do I don't see a point in participating anymore.

Which brings me to another point if anyone is still reading: railroading is bad. If admins just teleport people who aren't playing exactly along with their event the entire thing is pointless. DMing is supposed to be a collaborative story, not everyone standing around worshipping the DMPC.

One of my most memorable thunderdomes I ran was when one of the players managed to break out of it and start hacking his way to the deathsquad mechs. Rather than delete him/warp him, I chased him down as a centcomm officer, got into a firefight (which I lost), and swore angrily at him while he yelled "NO GODS NO MASTERS" and committed suicide. Things might not go exactly as you plan, but its better to let them play out IC than with blatantly immersion ruining stuff.
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #91714

Yeah I saw some of the god event and it went pretty badly.

It's very hard to describe that kind of information ICly though. You kind of have three states: Don't kill>Tough to kill> Pretty easy to kill

The issue with things that are tough to kill is if it takes longer than a couple of minutes/they aren't stunnable then people tend to start to think they are completely unkillable. I try to get around this by giving them some feedback, for example with chunks of monster falling off at certain points, spilling blood decals as it runs away, and so on.

That said, often any NPC sent to the station gets immediately arrested/killed and looted unless it's wearing green and preceded by an official announcement. We don't have any friendly outside presences that aren't admin only so people tend to immediately treat everything with hostility. It's really sad when you're stuck between "What the fuck why wouldn't he die", "Well that event was shit, he died and nothing happened." and "What the fuck I attacked Nar Sie directly and he just killed me"

I'm still not certain how to get around these problems. It can be a bit of a crapshoot depending on people's mood.
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #92880

I want to do a mini event based around currency and a syndie trader where the crew can trade in things for the currency and eventually buy things with it if they don't have enough things of value. I did a proto-run of it today and the players were pretty fucking good in playing along with the trader so I might try it again some time.
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
Durandan
Byond Username: Durandan

Post by Durandan » #92927

imblyings wrote:I want to do a mini event based around currency and a syndie trader where the crew can trade in things for the currency and eventually buy things with it if they don't have enough things of value. I did a proto-run of it today and the players were pretty fucking good in playing along with the trader so I might try it again some time.
Why not go full Sidorovich and give them "missions" to collect certain objects or even hunt down particular individuals if you want to go that far? I've got a customer who wants a monkey cube, go get me one for extra spacebux.
Character: Jed Fleming [ghost]
imblyings

Post by imblyings » #93299

That's a pretty neat idea. It'd give an optional goal for people to make things to trade, like cooks/botanists making certain foods, or scientists making certain items.
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays
Byond Username: ThanatosRa

Post by ThanatosRa » #96029

Is it just me, or is there just a certain group of players that just start SCREAMING the moment an admin even THINKS of pressing a button.
my forum gimmick is that no one knows who i am

gender is irrelevant NO UR IRRELEVANT
u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #96165

Beware the cargo shuttle event runners.

It will ghost people and delete their gear.

Also one thread for all complaints, pathetic.
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #96191

Incomptinence wrote:Beware the cargo shuttle event runners.

Or supportbus,
Or speak to literally any admin on the server
Or send a PM to literally any admin or moderator
Or use adminfeedback
Or bitch on singulo (This might be the one you want. It's really fun)
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #96201

I actually have few complaints about events. Closest I came to having a problem was mutant space vines being so unfair and boring I thought it was a really bad event.

I just despise slowly grinding away dissent or sweeping it under the rug under PMs, deluges of inane IRC or OOC chatter, equally mis-administrated forums like admin feedback or just telling people to got to a place you disregard anyway.

The sooner you block off criticism the sooner the administration becomes a closed system of self absorption a mire from which little worth can be extracted.
Loonikus
Byond Username: Loonicus

Post by Loonikus » #96230

ThanatosRa wrote:Is it just me, or is there just a certain group of players that just start SCREAMING the moment an admin even THINKS of pressing a button.
There is. Its the exact same group of people who scream about having perfect balance in SS13 like we're on an MLG playlist somewhere. They are people who's only idea of fun is greentext and want every round to be a by-the-numbers completely predictable round with no surprises or deviation from standard operating procedure.

I'm not saying that all event criticism of late is invalid, because a lot of it is. However, mixed in with the legitimate complaints are the faggots who will kick and scream at any admin doing anything that isn't directly helping them.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #96296

Loonikus wrote:
ThanatosRa wrote:Is it just me, or is there just a certain group of players that just start SCREAMING the moment an admin even THINKS of pressing a button.
There is. Its the exact same group of people who scream about having perfect balance in SS13 like we're on an MLG playlist somewhere. They are people who's only idea of fun is greentext and want every round to be a by-the-numbers completely predictable round with no surprises or deviation from standard operating procedure.

I'm not saying that all event criticism of late is invalid, because a lot of it is. However, mixed in with the legitimate complaints are the faggots who will kick and scream at any admin doing anything that isn't directly helping them.
It isn't about MLG balance.

It's about rebuilding the derelict, or building some big fort, or getting involved in your roleplay and project, or yes, even struggling for an hour to survive and barely beating the badguys only to have someone come along and hit a button that destroys everything. We can't mock players for being soulless validhunters and then grief the hell out of them when they dare to try doing more involved activities.

Card games and board games have RNG that can cause me to lose/things not to go 100% as I planned but I'd still be pissed if someone came and flipped the table.

I don't mind the round structure changing as long as it has some level of coherence. I don't mind new rules, I mind when we have no rules. The fact that we can have a weeklong argument in FNR on whether some guy being dead for 5 minutes at the hand of another player was "properly escalated" but an admin can hit a button without buildup or warning and wipe out the server because "lol event" is just stupid.
ThatSlyFox
Byond Username: ThatSlyFox

Post by ThatSlyFox » #96305

Incomptinence wrote:Beware the cargo shuttle event runners.

Still crying over that. It was going to be so good too.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #96306

What Kor just wrote should be printed out and framed.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays
Byond Username: ThanatosRa

Post by ThanatosRa » #96315

Kor wrote:
Loonikus wrote:

It isn't about MLG balance.

It's about rebuilding the derelict, or building some big fort, or getting involved in your roleplay and project, or yes, even struggling for an hour to survive and barely beating the badguys only to have someone come along and hit a button that destroys everything. We can't mock players for being soulless validhunters and then grief the hell out of them when they dare to try doing more involved activities.

Card games and board games have RNG that can cause me to lose/things not to go 100% as I planned but I'd still be pissed if someone came and flipped the table.

I don't mind the round structure changing as long as it has some level of coherence. I don't mind new rules, I mind when we have no rules. The fact that we can have a weeklong argument in FNR on whether some guy being dead for 5 minutes at the hand of another player was "properly escalated" but an admin can hit a button without buildup or warning and wipe out the server because "lol event" is just stupid.
And personally I am NOT disagreeing with this in the slightest. Events are fun, but also getting some time to cool off and create something is great too. Admins should never be disallowed from pressing buttons. Perhaps some warning might help those that aren't the whiners a little. Hell even a small throwaway OOC comment of "My button pushin' finger is itchy". As with everything in life, Moderation is a virtue. Moderation and Balance.

This obnoxious vocal minority, though. Shut up or get out. I'm tired of your horrendous negativity. It's totally harshin' my groove man.
my forum gimmick is that no one knows who i am

gender is irrelevant NO UR IRRELEVANT
u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
imblyings

Post by imblyings » #97769

Gimmicks that I have done
>traders
>letting the crew roll for the buttons pressing

Gimmicks I want to do
>teleporting sec away to centcom to frolick and horseplay while making the station into detroit with gangs, then sending sec back armed to the teeth
>calling the shuttle at round start and making a (lowpop) crew live on it, and spawn some tinted windows as well
>some sort of derelict/mining colonization round???

What other things could I do as an admin to enhance/ruin your playing experience during extended rounds?
invisty
Byond Username: Invisty

Post by invisty » #97802

Please,

Don't run "events" that involve anything to do with releasing singularities.

The other day some admin whose name is beyond my memory decided to run some event that nearly nobody saw yet everybody felt. Why the PR for the supermatter singulo was approved is beyond me.
Mime: Depresso
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #97900

Well, I've had at least two people antagged with the objective to release an S6.

One of these was myself, but that was on Basil and the round was dragging on anyway.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
newfren
Byond Username: Newfren

Post by newfren » #97915

Had an event about a day ago now to get 15 canisters from cargo filled with N2O then shipped back to centcomm in the ship.

There were no cargo workers as far as I could see and no atmos techs or engineers (until one showed up about half-way through the process). It got N2O released as me, a bartender and an assistant fucked around with the atmos set up for a while, but aside from that the entire event boiled down to drag a container from cargo through the broken windows into atmos through the broken windows/hacked open door, attach it to one of the pumps, drag a container back. Once we got the 15 tanks full of N2O and onto the ship, we sent it back and got 2000 cargo points, and the assistant who did most of the dragging got turned into the captain.

I probably would have preferred to do some botany that round, but all in all it was an /alright/ event. It would have been nice for them to reward us with something other than cargo points given that literally noone was working cargo. It probably would have also been better if they had sent a shuttle to arrivals with the canisters, or set up a custom shuttle to somewhere closer to engineering maybe - only because noone had access to either area, so we had to break into both cargo and atmos to actually get the canisters to and fro. A closer look at the crew manifest would have been better in this case - I assume doing it when we didn't have atmos techs was intentional, just to get N2O released (this worked) but I don't think that doing it when we had no cargo techs to care about the 2000 point reward or move the canisters from the ship at least out into the hall was.

Also, it might have made more sense (and made the consequences for fucking up the atmos pumps more serious) if Centcomm was asking for plasma. Releasing it and getting caught out without a mask kills you slowly instead of sleeping you forever and instantly, and there's the obvious flammable effects that could have occurred if any of the traitors/lings wandered past while we were working.

The centcomm announcement said that we'd be considered traitors if we failed, so I can't help but think that the admin expected us to fail so they could send in some form of deathsquad lite for the station to fight to give the event a little more action than just canister moving and atmos fuckery. This really ties into more planning around what happened if we succeeded and planning more appropriate rewards - turning the assistant into the captain was a good step in this direction.
Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Atlanta-ned

Post by Atlanta-Ned » #98263

imblyings wrote: mining colonization round???
I've tried to do this as captain once or twice. Hasn't ever gotten a lot of traction though.
Statbus! | Admin Feedback
OOC: Pizzatiger: God damn Atlanta, how are you so fucking smart and charming. It fucking pisses me off how perfect you are
invisty
Byond Username: Invisty

Post by invisty » #100931

New event idea: Old-style nuke ops.

What's the "oldest" known Nuke-op primary weapon? Uzis? I could have sworn there was something before that.
Spoiler:
Give them cloaking devices.
Mime: Depresso
Falamazeer
Byond Username: Wootanon

Post by Falamazeer » #100933

Stetchkin pistol I believe. or however you spell it.
Ham Sammich, beating a dead horse since 2010.
NikNakFlak wrote:....It's true...that is why I removed my forum avatar
lumipharon wrote:ass parasite was pretty meh when I tried it.
Not-Dorsidarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #101237

Pretty sure nuke ops used to get revolvers and nothing else.

Also it's not called the Stetchkin anymore, some complete shitfuck genericised all the names of syndicate guns, so it's just "Syndicate pistol"
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #101238

I think that was Paprika.

Old-style nuke ops is somewhat subjective since how far back do you go? Back to when C20r's were standard issue and the Ops had a single Uplink or even further?
Jacough
Byond Username: Jacough

Post by Jacough » #105052

How about a sort of GTA wanted level style rev round where the revs basically have a wanted level that increases each time they kill a head? This can work out favorably to the loyal crew at first but may kind of fuck them over as it increases.

1 star: one head's dead: centcom sends in an additional detective and two security officers to investigate the head's death. Nothing too big aside from the reinforcements being allowed to use some more enhanced interrogation techniques (i.e. torture) to get information out of suspects.

2 stars: three heads are dead and as far as Centcom's concerned security's not getting their job done. A security ERT is sent to the station to maintain order and pretty much establish martial law. They're free to permabrig crewmembers as they see fit, including loyal crew and security officers they deem unfit to quell the revolution. Depending on how the ERTs treat this it might just kick the loyal crew's ass in gear or it could just piss the crew off and stir up the revolution further.

3 stars: only one head remains. At this point centcom's pretty fucking unhappy and just wants to salvage the only nonexpendable crewmember in the station. A death squad team is sent to the station to extract the surviving head and nobody else as well as prime the station's self destruct. Anyone who tries to get in their way or tries to hitch a ride on their shuttle is to be shot on sight, including security officers and loyal crew members. If the crew turns on the death squad this could actually work out favorably for the revolution.

Also just because I'm curious as to what would happen, a cannibalism round. Every single food source including vending machines, pets, and stuff for botany is removed and a gibber is spawned in the main hall along with a few salt and pepper shakers and a microwave. Basically the crew's only source of food is each other. Bee interesting to see if players would be content to go through the round starving and sluggish or murder their fellow crew members for nourishment to keep their speed up.
newfren
Byond Username: Newfren

Post by newfren » #105055

Cannabalism round would suck if there's a decent viro because there's 2 different symptoms that just sort of... remove the need for food - Stimulant and Weight Even.
Not-Dorsidarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #105381

plus cargo can order food and seeds, while R&D can build plant trays.
Supermichael777
Byond Username: Supermichael777

Post by Supermichael777 » #135276

Forcing people to commit suicide is not a fun or engaging event. It takes people out of the round and adds no value or story. Weird warnings should be used as hooks for a bigger plot not bait for a admin button mousetrap. *cough*KOR*cough*
oranges wrote:It's my game, not yours
Never forget the corruption of these halls

You seem to be under the mistaken impression that I actually care.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Omar Beail says, "You guys should fuck for my entertainment"
Classy, TG, Classy

OOC: KorPhaeron: Admins aren't allowed to have friends

OOC: Daman997: I HAVE POSTED VIDEOS OF A MAN FUCKING A SNAKE IN OOC GIVE ME THAT LINK PUSSY
An0n3 wrote:Take the same brand of retardation and invert it and you have people saying "It's okay for a game to cost more because I enjoyed it!
Spoiler:
Q: Why does everyone assume I’m a pervert just for wanting to play as a cat girl?
A: Because they’re degenerate cocksuckers who cannot fathom that another person might have pure intentions in wanting to play as the cat girl master race. Their wish fulfillment fetish-tier races like elves, aasimars, goliaths, and hobgoblins are perfectly fine in their mad, lust-filled minds, such that the purity and perfection of cat girls burns at their evil perverted hearts.

Q: Where are the cat boys?
A: I don’t follow.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #135318

I'd really like more events, but it seems like whenever admins try some shitter blows them the fuck up. An example that comes to mind is HBL making a syndicate shuttle, and as soon as he started spawning people in they immediately exploded the syndicate shuttle he spent 20 minutes making.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #135693

Zilenan91 wrote:I'd really like more events, but it seems like whenever admins try some shitter blows them the fuck up. An example that comes to mind is HBL making a syndicate shuttle, and as soon as he started spawning people in they immediately exploded the syndicate shuttle he spent 20 minutes making.

Yeah it happens, people can be insanely inpatient (for a game thats a lot of waiting anyway). Normally I instant gib anyone who i've brought into the world for events that start doing grey tide shit like attack the other empty shells or the structure/central building.

If people arent prepared to wait for an event or are just going to cause shit then fuck em.
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
Hibbles
Byond Username: HotelBravoLima

Post by Hibbles » #139210

Always looking for new ideas from players, anything you think would be cool to see.

Things to keep in mind are Practicality (how much work will it take to do this/how long will it take to set this up while 90 people wait?), Participation (include as many players as you reasonably can in different roles, big and small), and Permanence (have consequences for stuff, have these consequences predictable ahead of time, and make them matter when it happens), and, uh. I'm out of words that start with P that would be relevant. But consider that.

Note that the ubiquitously popular things like swarmers, aliens, spiders etc meet all three criteria quite well. Of course, that's on the combat end of the spectrum, which people tend to enjoy here, but you an do RP events too. Really the ideal is something with RP elements but backed up by game consequences. See: The station is going be smashed by a meteor in an hour, figure up a way to stop it using your creativity, or else.
RIP
Jazaen
Byond Username: Jazaen

Post by Jazaen » #139323

I think I've heard this one somewhere, but eh, it is a cool idea. Anyway, there are three parts to it.

Part one: Preparation.
Step one. Make sure it's either extended or traitor. If traitor, get traitors to cooperate (ask them if they want to be part of something greater). If not, one less thing to worry about!
Step two. Send a centcom report announcing secret message being given to the captain. This is to raise tension, and make sure that condom is under pressure to reveal it.
Step three, message itself. Make it be an automatic announcment, sent from a relay satelite. Or maybe a high priority, rushed message from centcom high command. Or last words of centcom communications clerk. Something is coming. NT stations across the sector are failing. No emergency shuttle requests, no singularity radiation, not even shadowling, cult or wizard taint. Nothing remains. And, eventually, it came for centcom. It is the biggest station in the region, managing all smaller ones, so this time something left. Whoever sent this message, one thing is clear - it is coming for the last remaining Nanotrasen station in this sector. SS13 (Or Planetary Cracker XV, whatever.). Tell them they need to prepare, maybe say something about a bunker, inside which they could survive and work on a solution.

Part two: Crew goes apeshit
Step four. Make SURE this message reaches all crew. If Captain is a condom, well, YOU ARE AN ADMIN YOU HAVE YOUR WAYS. This is the most important part, as the message itself might be ignored.
Step five. Watch the preparations. Perhaps give them some materials - an automated supply cache is still operating, and since you are the only crewed NT station it sends all of its supplies to you. Crew should be building something right now, perhaps hoarding everything, doing things like moving research onto your designated area, whatever. At this point send a message to traitors. What you are going to send depends how well the preparations are going - no one would like Tator McScientist to blow the shelter/defense network/fortified toilet/whatever. Give them weird tasks, make them support the crew, make them hinder station performance - you decide. This step is the longest, give crew 30-45 minutes. Less than that won't give them time to prepare, more than that will kill the hype.

Part three: The apocalypse itself!
Step six. I am not going to describe this in detail. Why? Because lots of people read forums and if any admin DOES decide to go through with this (The madmen!) that would kill all suprise. Just vauge details - spawn shit outside the thing, pop ghosts, make centcom refugees (maybe even deathsquad) teleport and help, maybe even WizFed comes to the party, use your imagination. If you set crew a goal to accomplish - defend X, build Y, survive with Z people, WHATEVER - this is the moment for crew to do it. If they fail, well, keep throwing stuff at them. If they do it, congratulate them. Maybe it all was a simulation, or CentResearch pumped the new gas into the atmos, or you will all forget because that thing you just built will revert last 2 months. Voila!
Also, if they call the shuttle, place more evil things on it. It came from centcom, and that is overrun, remember?
I play:
SMAI-Reactivation (SybilAI)
SMAI-Revolutions (BagilAI)
: Endorsed by Poly, the Parrot! https://twitter.com/Poly_the_Parrot/sta ... 7588301825
Shannah Rader (Sybil geneticist)
Janette Hall (Bagil geneticist)
Also, I'm a Game Admin or something right now. You can tell me how I'm doing here
I seriously hope you don't make the same mistakes I have
Hibbles
Byond Username: HotelBravoLima

Post by Hibbles » #143875

The fact that admins can now essentially clipboard paste a .dmm map file into the current round in like two button clicks changes everything.

Syndicate STEEL RAIN drone pod that instantly pings ghosts to join it without my help and deploys tiny, skittering death anywhere at a moment's notice? Sure.
Syndicate battle frigate with artillery console and crew ready to mess up the round? Great.
A racetrack in space, complete with ATVs? Ye.

I once spent literally a full hour in build mode designing and building out a fleet battle event with 3 NT and 3 Syndicate warships facing each other, equipped with every kind of gear and item, and was about to call the players in... when the shuttle was called.
If you've ever wondered w-w-why admins just hit the xeno button and don't do massive elaborate events quite as much anymore, THAT was why. But that reason is no longer valid, so wew.

So. What should be the priority to make and use with this awesome new feature? I think an actual, proper trader ship loaded with defenses and loot for those who brave them, or just trade for it like a norrmal person, might be good. Looking for more ideas.
RIP
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #143906

OH FUCK YES

I know how to map but how do we use this new feature is there a tutorial somewhere.
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #143956

Stickymayhem wrote:OH FUCK YES

I know how to map but how do we use this new feature is there a tutorial somewhere.
Using a .dmm external to the /templates folder on the server:
1. Map Template - Upload, find the map file
2. Go to the location you want the map file
3. Map Template - Place

Using a .dmm in the /templates folder on the server:
1. Go to the location you want the map file
2. Map Template - Place
私は完璧
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #144337

Reverse nuke ops event.

The crew recieves word from HQ that a syndicate battleship is coming nearby and is going to fuck shit up if the crew doesn't take the fight to them. They have 20 minutes to prepare a team of operatives, and then launch a pod towards the battleship. The operatives have to take the disc to the nuke in the core of the ship, all the while fighting through a crew of syndies, and detonate it.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #144347

Remie Richards wrote:
Stickymayhem wrote:OH FUCK YES

Using a .dmm external to the /templates folder on the server:
1. Map Template - Upload, find the map file
2. Go to the location you want the map file
3. Map Template - Place

Using a .dmm in the /templates folder on the server:
1. Go to the location you want the map file
2. Map Template - Place
cheers bae time to map
imblyings

Post by imblyings » #149918

following a post in the policy discussion subforum where I said the rules require sec to use stuns first instead of using lethals straight up like validseekers get to, I was wondering how a station would fare if sec were given some decent melee weapons and all guns on the station being deleted. Science wouldn't be able to make more/cargo couldn't order anymore/antags couldn't use any.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #149922

They'd get RnG pushed and all die instantly
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS