Many bugs go unreported

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Jalleo
Byond Username: Jalleo

Many bugs go unreported

Post by Jalleo » #410

Even though we have the issues tracker on github its really not enough I personally feel we should try to get someway to report from ingame and try to get a focus every so often for people to test for general bugs to confirm they exist.

If not for coders it could at least be done to try and make it so it seems that there is at least a interest it could even entail into becoming huge events by admins pressing all the buttons the only time no restrictions are for.

I know a fair few of people feel it is enough but we could create a new system which gets people who want to test can get involved easily.
Bluespace
Byond Username: Bluespace

Re: Many bugs go unreported

Post by Bluespace » #424

I would like some sort of in-game pre-formatted bug reporter.
I play Boris Pepper.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #445

Bluespace wrote:I would like some sort of in-game pre-formatted bug reporter.
That would be nice. Or at least a way for admins to send IRC messages to #coderbus, to forward bugs people ahelp.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
Hibbles
Byond Username: HotelBravoLima

Post by Hibbles » #453

I've always been under the distinct impression that if we notice bugs or even have them ahelped, that sort of thing isn't wanted in #coderbus at all.
RIP
Apsis

Post by Apsis » #455

I honestly can't tell whats a bug or a legit feature unless it's really obvious. Like can't put stuff on tables obvious.
Petethegoat

Post by Petethegoat » #456

Bluespace wrote:I would like some sort of in-game pre-formatted bug reporter.
I was planning to look into this ages ago. A way to create a github issue without having to register an account would be good, especially if it could be done from inside the game, as you could do stuff like automatically including time, roundtype, excerpts from the runtime log or whatever.
Need to investigate further.
Jalleo

Post by Jalleo » #520

It does pete this is why i made a thread its more a administrative maintanace issue ill try to talk to the buses about it on monday.
TheTerbs
In Game PermaBanned

Post by TheTerbs » #536

How about a reward for bug reporting shit

You can't expect players to want things removed that they could exploit, example

I found if you left the arcade machine window up, then have a chaplain beat you retarded, then started mashing ATTACK it would attack the boss without changing the screen so it would start spraying out prizes because you were too stupid to use the machine, it worked on pretty much anything too

That was fun as fuck, I filled entire wings of the stations with singulo toys and had pop gun monopoly, the only reason it got fixed was an admin saw a stack of 200+ toys and asked me "how the fuck are you doing that"

So why would players report bugs and exploits when they don't stand to benefit.
you're gonna carry that weight
Miauw
Byond Username: Miauw62

Post by Miauw » #545

Hibbles wrote:I've always been under the distinct impression that if we notice bugs or even have them ahelped, that sort of thing isn't wanted in #coderbus at all.
Yeah, most of the time it isn't. Bug reports in #coderbus aren't that useful, since IRC is very fast (most of the time). Issues get put on a big scary counter that keeps going up and that tracks how many bugs there are (hint: it's a lot) and that people can find easily.
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
<Tobba> I stared into BYOND and it farted
Jalleo

Post by Jalleo » #549

TheTerbs wrote:How about a reward for bug reporting shit

You can't expect players to want things removed that they could exploit, example

I found if you left the arcade machine window up, then have a chaplain beat you retarded, then started mashing ATTACK it would attack the boss without changing the screen so it would start spraying out prizes because you were too stupid to use the machine, it worked on pretty much anything too

That was fun as fuck, I filled entire wings of the stations with singulo toys and had pop gun monopoly, the only reason it got fixed was an admin saw a stack of 200+ toys and asked me "how the fuck are you doing that"

So why would players report bugs and exploits when they don't stand to benefit.
Well I can see that just dosent run a update check to see what has occured to you since when you started playing should be a relatively simple fix.

I can see what you mean though Terbs
carnie

Post by carnie » #551

Bugs go unreported because bugs don't get fixed, so there's no point reporting them.

Bugs don't get fixed because people keep introducing more bugs, so there's no point fixing them.

More bugs keep getting introduced because of feature flip-flop and directionless development.

The only time we got the issues list under control is when we eliminated the latter problem (and hence the other problems) by enforcing a code-freeze.

Bugreporting from in-game was veto'd for years because it would result in really low-quality bug reports. And multiple tickets per bug.

"So why would players report bugs and exploits when they don't stand to benefit." Not everybody is sociopathic, Terbs.
Wild Bill

Post by Wild Bill » #637

An in-game solution would be good. The less effort it takes, the more reports you get.
carnie wrote: Bugreporting from in-game was veto'd for years because it would result in really low-quality bug reports. And multiple tickets per bug.
You could solve that by designating someone to sift through them and make full reports on github.
Since nobody wants to do that, you could make it a weekly rotation among maintainers.
Giacom
Byond Username: Giacomand

Post by Giacom » #638

A feature freeze did wonders last time, and we now have over 400 issues.
Check out my MiniStation map, for low population servers. http://tgstation13.org/wiki/MiniStation
Jalleo

Post by Jalleo » #646

Wild Bill wrote:An in-game solution would be good. The less effort it takes, the more reports you get.
carnie wrote: Bugreporting from in-game was veto'd for years because it would result in really low-quality bug reports. And multiple tickets per bug.
You could solve that by designating someone to sift through them and make full reports on github.
Since nobody wants to do that, you could make it a weekly rotation among maintainers.
I talked about it on coderbus and thats not the solution i got rock to agree there needs to be a ingame link to the github issues thing its on his todo list of high priority depends on forum stuff getting done first though.

I understand why they say it wont work a bit now everyone ask yourself willingly if you will accept looking through crappy bug reports to generate a good bug report for this community I dont know if most people would be willing.
fleure
Byond Username: Fleure

Post by fleure » #815

Giacom wrote:A feature freeze did wonders last time, and we now have over 400 issues.
As usual, I am totally for this. Last push to get one done fell through. I know it will make a lot of coders disappear during the duration, but they wouldn' havee written a bugfix anyway, so it works for the maintainers.
Ex-/tg/station maintainer for being a lazy shit.
Nalar
Byond Username: Nalar

Post by Nalar » #819

A feature freeze would be good, maybe we could also get some optimizations/fixes in for some of the laggier and buggier elements of the game (mob-code, anyone?) as well if this were to happen.

-=Forum Global Moderator=-
-=GameAdmin=-
Tell me how I'm doing.
Miauw

Post by Miauw » #975

I support a feature freeze.
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
Numbers

Post by Numbers » #989

It would be a good thing. It's not like there are huge overhauls waiting to be merged right now. Those can wait.
"I've told you about Erro, I've warned you dwag." - Unknown
ImageImageImage
Jalleo

Post by Jalleo » #1056

I agree on the huge overhauls going in first they will just bring more bugs if done this way its better to do a feature freeze until at least ones that are mostly done are in.
Numbers

Post by Numbers » #1061

Oh no Jalleo. I was thinking of making a feature freeze BEFORE the overhauls going in. That way it will be easier to track the bugs related to big overhauls
"I've told you about Erro, I've warned you dwag." - Unknown
ImageImageImage
JJRcop
Byond Username: JJRcop
Github Username: JJRcop

Post by JJRcop » #1264

First bug reported using the in-game bug reporter: "In-game bug reporter breaks when I try to submit anything, I had to use href trickery to submit this one!"
I lurk quite often...
TheTerbs
In Game PermaBanned

Post by TheTerbs » #1267

JJRcop wrote:First bug reported using the in-game bug reporter: "In-game bug reporter breaks when I try to submit anything, I had to use href trickery to submit this one!"
10/10
Mr Wondrous
Rarely plays

Post by Mr Wondrous » #1699

How does one distinguish a bug from anything else in this game. It's like Bethesda and Black Isle had a love child and thus dreamseeker was born.
AseaHeru
Rarely plays

Post by AseaHeru » #1846

Heres an idea:
Updates to the code go in bi-weekly, the time between used solely for fixing bugs.
Gives everyone twelve days (give or take) to find the new batch of bugs and have them looked at.
I am located here, lurking in your posts, leaving piles of transparent wordings and being confused. Oh, I also try to map...

This, this is an example of what I leave for you.
Also, these days I mostly play Ursit McStation, mostly because I like roleplay.
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #1891

Maybe we should just have a link somewhere to the github for the various servers?

Such as: https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-statio ... state=open for TG
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #1893

There are two ways to get people to report bugs.

1: Incentive people to report bugs.

2: Make it REALLY easy to report a bug.

We have neither, I would prefer if we could use option two.

The best way to do this is a in game button you press, which is easily visible, that takes a screenshot, lets you type a title and relevant text and sends it off somewhere like Github. This would make bug reporting infinitly easier for most people and it means they don't have to go out of their way to report a bug.

Which is the main reason, right now players have to go out of their way to report a bug.

*EDIT* - Here's a run down of how average player wants to report a bug.

A player discovers a (hypothetical) bug that allows him to gain twice the amount of shots out of a Egun. He wants to report it as a bug, here is what he would have to do under the current system.

1: Figure out where the heck you even go to report bugs.
2: Find the TG/NT Station Github page.
3: Register an account with Github.
4: Figure out that Issues = Bug reporting.
5: Post the bug report.

A good system should do this.

1: Click the Bug Report button in game
2: Post the bug report.
Kelenius
Byond Username: Kelenius

Post by Kelenius » #1896

Maybe players should adminhelp found bugs, and admins will report them.
Bluespace
Byond Username: Bluespace

Post by Bluespace » #1901

Kelenius wrote:Maybe players should adminhelp found bugs, and admins will report them.
Some players do, but we're not the one experiencing the bug, and if we can't reproduce it, how can we report it?
"Lings sometimes can't revive." isn't a valid bug report.
I play Boris Pepper.
Cheridan
Byond Username: Cheridan

Post by Cheridan » #1904

Steelpoint wrote:stuff
Show Server Revision under the OOC tab already has a REPORT BUG HERE button that takes you straight to https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-station/issues/new
From there you just need a github account, which is no harder to make than the forum or byond account everyone already has.

As is often the case with SS13, the solution to the problem is already there, it's just that most people don't know about it.
/tg/station spriter, admin, and headcoder. Feel free to contact me via PM with questions, concerns, or requests.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #1906

Cheridan wrote:
Steelpoint wrote:stuff
Show Server Revision under the OOC tab already has a REPORT BUG HERE button that takes you straight to https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-station/issues/new
From there you just need a github account, which is no harder to make than the forum or byond account everyone already has.

As is often the case with SS13, the solution to the problem is already there, it's just that most people don't know about it.
All that really does is alter the steps taken by a new to bug reporting player.

1: Figure out where the heck you even go to report bugs.
2: Figure out a button that has NO relation to bug reporting gives you a link to the place where you can lodge a bug report.
3: Register an account with Github.
4: Post the bug report.

The solution is there, its just not actually used properly. I still think streamlining the process so that a player does not have to create a Github account is better but at least make SOME kind of button that says "BUG REPORT" for ease of use, instead of hiding it behind a button that does not even hint at it being related to bug reporting.
TheTerbs
In Game PermaBanned

Post by TheTerbs » #2107

carnie wrote:
"So why would players report bugs and exploits when they don't stand to benefit." Not everybody is sociopathic, Terbs.
that isnt being a sociopath, thats how people work you basic ass bitch
420goslingboy69
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Usednapkin

Post by 420goslingboy69 » #2159

The carpet bug has not been fixed in over a year and a half. If you take up carpet and put it back down, it lacks a sprite.
i play :):):):):)autumn sinnow
this man's:):):):):) army
DESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTRO:):):):):)YERDESTRO:):):):):)YERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERD:):):):):)ESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROY:):):):):)ERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDEST:):):):):)ROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDES:):):):):)TROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYER
:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

fleure
Byond Username: Fleure

Post by fleure » #2247

Git hub's issue tracker is just shit anyway, and I don't blame people for not wanting to make an account just to report some minor issue.

There was talk of using a separate issue tracker before but nothing really came to fruition.
Ex-/tg/station maintainer for being a lazy shit.
Miauw

Post by Miauw » #2506

420goslingboy69 wrote:The carpet bug has not been fixed in over a year and a half. If you take up carpet and put it back down, it lacks a sprite.
It's been reported, this is really just laziness.
kosmos
Byond Username: Kingofkosmos

Post by kosmos » #5419

There's now a Report Bug-page in the wiki.

I contacted the Github support asking if it's possible to make an account for Github, which password (or any other settings) could not be changed (so some ass wouldn't change the public account's password immediately if it's pw was in the wiki)?

They replied:
> Is it possible to make an account for Github, which password (or any other settings) could not be changed?

This isn't possible, however one approach to solving the problem might be to create a simple application which allowed anonymous people to submit bug reports, which could use the GitHub API to create issues on your repository, on behalf of a specific user (which could just be created for the purpose of reporting issues):
https://developer.github.com/v3/issues/
kosmos
Byond Username: Kingofkosmos

Post by kosmos » #5767

Oh and also there's no info in the game how to get the SERVER REVISION, which is also the first question in the format you insist people using (although I see, and have also made, bug reports not using it all the time and no one really cares, things get fixed either way, so it it really necessary?).

Having the first step of reporting a bug being this weird ("wtf is a server revision? how do i get it!?") makes me think it's a wonder people actually report any bugs at all.

Suggestion: Change the server revision question to be the last question. Explain clearly how to get the server revision from the game. Have people tell what they wanna tell (what happened) in the first step and by the time they get to the last step, they will be pissed to search the server revision but they've already gone through so much trouble now that they'll probably do it. Or just outright remove it or replace with just a simple "What server were you on?".
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #5934

Revision helps to narrow down when the bug started. Although usually one can guess the revision based on the date submitted, I suppose. I was under the impression the template had a whole line of "type show-server-revision ingame to get it".
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter