Vomit Induced Heart Attacks (Darkest Dungeon)

Talk about video games here
Drynwyn
Byond Username: Drynwyn

Vomit Induced Heart Attacks (Darkest Dungeon)

Post by Drynwyn » #93495

Got this the other day, having fun with it. My A-team consists of Anon3 the Man-at-arms, Dante Smith the Highwayman (who has Warrior of Light, a Sun Ring two Sun Rings, and all 3 slayer/hatred quirks for TONS OF DAMAGE), a Grave Robber, and a Vestal.

Other significant character is Saiga Pishupaio the nymphomaniac plague doctor.
Last edited by Drynwyn on Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
In game, I play the A.I Firmware, the French cyborg C.U.R.I.E, Aubrie Allen, and the lizard scum Skulks-Through-Maintenance.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays
Byond Username: An0n3

Re: Vomit Induced Heart Attacks (Darkest Dungeon)

Post by Timbrewolf » #93504

I'm proud.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Balut
Byond Username: Balut

Post by Balut » #93662

So I played this on launch and lost like only two people over ~12ish weeks.

And then I picked it back up recently and lost like fucking a billion people over 3-4 runs.

Crusader seems less shit now, though that might be because I'm trying to use his stun less.
"Yeah, they're kick-ass robot pilots!" "But they sing and dance!" "They launch from a secret base..." "...that's right under the opera house!"
Sakura Wars
Spoiler:
Malkevin wrote:
No no, I don't want to be surrounded by spergs
An0n3 wrote:
Why are you here then?
http://sam.wileycomputerworks.com/SS13/
ExplosiveCrate
Byond Username: ExplosiveCrate

Post by ExplosiveCrate » #93717

Are 3 crusader/1 vestal/occultist teams still stupidly good? Can't keep the holy eye pokers down.
i dont even know what the context for my signature was
EndgamerAzari
Byond Username: EndgamerAzari

Post by EndgamerAzari » #93735

Had my first heart attack the other night. Still managed to beat that mission, though everyone surviving was a raving lunatic by the end.
Spoiler:
Shaps wrote:I never thought I'd see the day where someone tried claiming the moral high ground on drinking a bottle of cough syrup
TechnoAlchemist wrote:dumb baby boo boo "i wish I enlisted then mom would be proud" ballistics.
Saegrimr wrote:
Wyzack wrote:Remove players 2016, they ruin everything they touch
IM TRYING
Saegrimr wrote:
yackemflam wrote:It's like dish washing, someone has to do it.
MAYBE IF YOU'D QUIT SHITTING ON THE PLATE WHEN YOU'RE TOO LAZY TO GET UP TO GO TO THE RESTROOM AND JUST PUT THEM IN THE FUCKING SINK WHEN YOU'RE DONE
FantasticFwoosh wrote:Zip ties are best applied on assistants and other nobodies because of the exact reason they are disposable (applies to both).
An0n3 wrote:Azari for headmin 2015
He's an admin you can trust because nobody remembers to involve him in their conspiracies.
Drynwyn wrote:hbrahlrlahrlharlahr FEATURE CREEP
ShadowDimentio wrote:Instructions too complex, spaced the clown
Akkryls wrote:I mean, we are rightfully pissed off, but let's be pissed off for the correct reasons.
Falamazeer wrote:I am sufficiently outraged for you
Maccus wrote:You look like the dad every teenage boy doesn't look forward to meeting at his girlfriend's house
nsos wrote:When I was a teen and did the inevitable trying to suck your own dick thing I managed to get the head in my mouth and I feel like the rest of my life is me being punished for that
miggles wrote:is that supposed to be a trick question or just a dumb one
cedarbridge wrote:My first idea is that everyone just stops being faggots to each other but that's not going to happen, obviously.
Not-Dorsidarf wrote:Most soap operas could be improved if every scene had a greyshirt in the background hooting "GIBE DE POOSIE BOSS" all the time
Not-Dorsidarf wrote:classic style is "shit on everyone from the greatest heights, so they cannot climb high enough to shit on you"
Super Aggro Crag wrote:you can't just use meme to mean "thing I don't like" you goatherd
Saegrimr wrote:"lel just go explore make YOUR OWN fun wow do you have NO IMAGINATION back in MY DAY we used to shove twigs in our urethras and PRETENDED WE WERE KNIGHTS"
An0n3 wrote:Fucking crystal ass wind chime lookin' bitch.
Saegrimr wrote:It should be common sense but this is /tg/.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #99577

I seem to be getting surprised more often in the most recent update. Also why does everyone think the hellion is so great? She seems to just do stuff that other classes can do but also debuff herself for some reason
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
nsos
Byond Username: NOSENSEOFSELF

Post by nsos » #99649

when your leper becomes paranoid at 5 hp and refuses to get healed 3 turns in a row

Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #99651

This is a very good game and I enjoyed it a lot, but I decided to stop playing so as to not get tired of the game before its finished.
XSI
Byond Username: XSI

Post by XSI » #99669

Wyzack wrote:I seem to be getting surprised more often in the most recent update. Also why does everyone think the hellion is so great? She seems to just do stuff that other classes can do but also debuff herself for some reason
Darker now means YOU get surprised more often

It used to be that dark meant both sides got surprised a lot, which basically meant you had no real reason to keep things lit up. After all, you're not losing out on anything if the enemy is losing out just as much
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #99697

Any tips for making an arbalist not shit?
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
certified good poster
Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #99731

Wyzack wrote:Any tips for making an arbalist not shit?
Pair her with an Occultist.
In game, I play the A.I Firmware, the French cyborg C.U.R.I.E, Aubrie Allen, and the lizard scum Skulks-Through-Maintenance.
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #99738

I mean in terms of what abilities to take. She seems to just have mediocre ranged attacks paired with a shitty heal ability
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays
Byond Username: An0n3

Post by Timbrewolf » #99927

I should try playing this again. I had taken a break so as not to get burned out before the game was complete.

I'm glad they changed that light mechanic. If you could handle the stress accumulation there was no reason to bother keeping the lamp light. Now it's more balanced.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #101296

MaA is really good right now. Not all of his abilities, but Retribution just kicks all the ass.
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #101314

Yeah mine once slayed 3 skellies in one round of combat because they could not stop attacking him. I would not say that it is overpowered though, i really hope they dont nerf it. Maybe make it so the buffs dont proc if the attack misses? Anyway i lost my fucking occultist and now i need to find a new one, desperately short on healers.
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #101814

My main complaint about the game is that it would be better if the general level of challenge were increased, and the degree of RNG fuck you decreased. I have a limited amount of time to spend on games, and it is very frustrating when 5+ hours of that time is invalidated by
>enter battle at full health, full torch
>CRIT CRIT CRIT CRIT deathblow resist fails, someone ded
nsos
Byond Username: NOSENSEOFSELF

Post by nsos » #104758

this corpse update the worst shit

i mean not really but it's irritating

u cant really play around them and you have to waste a turn or two clearing that shit. i mean i use my back row skills fairly often sto begin with but my main ocmplaint isnt "fuck my 1st two guys can't just right click at people to death anymore" but it's just unpleasant as fuck to have to waste time on that shit when skeleton goblet asshole gets free hits on your squad because the only asshole on your team that can reach him is the arbalist who is missing all the time anyway

like i think they would be a good addition if they weren't just there abnd i think theres some potential for abilities based on corpses (burning them, throwing them at enemies, raising dead? or some kind of weird cannibal quirk they could probably add in) but right now its just an annoyance. give me some depth to these corpses and give me some ways to tactic/crisis management my way around them like i do the rest of the game.
XSI

Post by XSI » #104770

I think you might have to redo your squads based on them. I know I found my back row hitting units to be useless because the back row is always empty after a round or two

Can't do a group of 4 crusaders anymore then...Or..You can, with the holy lance thingy striking at rows 2-4.
I got to try this
Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #148828

ARISE THREAD LONG SINCE DEAD
HAUNT THE FORUMS IN WHICH YOU WERE CREATED

ANYWAY- now it's in full release.

So I came back to it, and bear ill news.

The team was sent out to slay the Swine God- and though they brought back his head, Anon3's shield bore the lifeless form of Dante Smith back to the Hamlet.
Not Robust Enough- RIP Dante Smith the Highwayman. Your road ends here.

(Saiga is still doin' fine and even picked up a love interest.)
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #148831

This game feels too grindy for my taste.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
capi duffman
Byond Username: Capi duffman

Post by capi duffman » #148835

The darkest dungeon itself is a cry of anger against the world at large.

Every single thing does stress damage, map is hidden, retreating has a steep cost (one adventurer at random dies to save the others) and that's before the bosses itself... which ain't that hard, if you leave aside a couple off surprises.
Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #148843

capi duffman wrote:The darkest dungeon itself is a cry of anger against the world very large.

Every single thing does stress damage, map is hidden, retreating has a steep cost (one adventurer at random dies to save the others) and that's before the bosses itself... which ain't that hard, if you leave aside a couple off surprises.
Yeah, from what I've heard the actual darkest dungeon bit basically involves Red Hook putting all of the well-developed game mechanics they've made in a nice neat row and then they GET A HAMMER AND SMASH AND SMASH AND SMASH.
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #148852

I kinda like the grind to be honest. What you really need to do is upgrade your roster size as much as you possibly can and have your newbies farm gold and heirlooms to upgrade and traitgroom your A team. Fucking hell though, getting in to level 3 mission is hard as fuck, i washed out of 3 before i found one i can beat. I am hoping i can make Dismas and Renault live to the end as super best friends, i plan on saving them for the final darkest dungeon run.

I am finding that my best strat so far is take a team with almost everyone as an off-healer. My crusader houndguy witchdoctor arbalest team kicks ass just because everyone can heal everyone else to some capacity (except the dogeman only able to heal himself) So i can usually grind out a handful of heals at the end of every combat.
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
capi duffman

Post by capi duffman » #148907

You need FOUR teams to take on the darkest dungeon, since any veteran will refuse to go there again.
Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #148910

capi duffman wrote:You need FOUR teams to take on the darkest dungeon, since any veteran will refuse to go there again.
that's why he said FINAL darkest dungeon run, I expect.
XSI

Post by XSI » #149112

I haven't reached the thing yet, but from my knowledge they did pretty much fuck up the final dungeon like that

Also, anyone else finding cash is way easy?
I'm at 50k and I've not even done 20 runs yet
Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #149219

It gets more relatively costly upgrading heroes at high levels- your income stream doesn't increase as fast as your upgrade costs.
XSI

Post by XSI » #149264

The main thing holding back the upgrades are needing 50 deeds for a blacksmith's upgrade

I'm okay with grind, but this is much more than I remember it being in early access
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #149407

This game frustrates me
Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #149416

Super Aggro Crag wrote:This game frustrates me
you just gotta hire heroes, send them out with next to no supplies, have them scarper out of the dungeon once they start to go crazy or die, then immediately fire their now-useless asses and get some new ones off the stagecoach. Repeat until you have a healthy supply of gold to fund your expansion.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #149452

Yeah, that's stupid.
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #149462

Drynwyn wrote:
Super Aggro Crag wrote:This game frustrates me
you just gotta hire heroes, send them out with next to no supplies, have them scarper out of the dungeon once they start to go crazy or die, then immediately fire their now-useless asses and get some new ones off the stagecoach. Repeat until you have a healthy supply of gold to fund your expansion.
Sounds like a bad design.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #149510

It's not. It's completely intentional. You gotta act like a corporate CEO to do things in this game, using your heroes as assets rather than friends. Because you're not their friend. You're their boss. So you hire them, make use of them until they're useless, shriveled up, unwanted urchins, and then boot them out the door, penniless, riddled with disease and on the verge of having a heart attack all in the name of profit. You're a monster. The game is designed to make you a monster.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
Zellion
Byond Username: Zellion

Post by Zellion » #149582

Zilenan91 wrote:It's not. It's completely intentional. You gotta act like a corporate CEO to do things in this game, using your heroes as assets rather than friends. Because you're not their friend. You're their boss. So you hire them, make use of them until they're useless, shriveled up, unwanted urchins, and then boot them out the door, penniless, riddled with disease and on the verge of having a heart attack all in the name of profit. You're a monster. The game is designed to make you a monster.
Unless you're like me and have 0 deaths because I'm a tactical genius
https://soundcloud.com/powerupaudio/dar ... -ancestral
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #149587

It's possible to go through with zero deaths but it's very grindey and not as fun.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #149603

Yeah no torch runs are good if you send a bunch of newbs in, they get fucked up, then send back all the loot on the last Jester with a broken leg and rabies, then fire him when he drops it off. You get a huge profit off of it and don't have to deal with any of the stress.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #149609

I am way too much of a bleeding heart wuss to fire my loyal dudes
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #149621

I like many of the concepts of darkest dungeons just the devs love making it more of a grind.

I can take beating my head against a brick wall but don't put 9 identical brick walls after it sort of thing.
Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #149676

The grind in the game is pretty nasty.

I was fortunate in that I mostly maxed out my Hamlet just after the last save wipe, didn't play for a while, then came back for the final release. So I had a lot of the grind already done for me.
EndgamerAzari
Byond Username: EndgamerAzari

Post by EndgamerAzari » #149691

CosmicScientist wrote:Are there any healers other than the vestal and the occultist?
The Arbalest has Battlefield Bandage, the Plague Doctor has Battlefield Medicine, and the Crusader has Inspiring Cry and Battle Heal. They're not as effective as the Vestal or Occultist's heals in terms of pure HP recovery, but most of them have added benefits and they'll keep you this side of dead in a pinch.
Spoiler:
Shaps wrote:I never thought I'd see the day where someone tried claiming the moral high ground on drinking a bottle of cough syrup
TechnoAlchemist wrote:dumb baby boo boo "i wish I enlisted then mom would be proud" ballistics.
Saegrimr wrote:
Wyzack wrote:Remove players 2016, they ruin everything they touch
IM TRYING
Saegrimr wrote:
yackemflam wrote:It's like dish washing, someone has to do it.
MAYBE IF YOU'D QUIT SHITTING ON THE PLATE WHEN YOU'RE TOO LAZY TO GET UP TO GO TO THE RESTROOM AND JUST PUT THEM IN THE FUCKING SINK WHEN YOU'RE DONE
FantasticFwoosh wrote:Zip ties are best applied on assistants and other nobodies because of the exact reason they are disposable (applies to both).
An0n3 wrote:Azari for headmin 2015
He's an admin you can trust because nobody remembers to involve him in their conspiracies.
Drynwyn wrote:hbrahlrlahrlharlahr FEATURE CREEP
ShadowDimentio wrote:Instructions too complex, spaced the clown
Akkryls wrote:I mean, we are rightfully pissed off, but let's be pissed off for the correct reasons.
Falamazeer wrote:I am sufficiently outraged for you
Maccus wrote:You look like the dad every teenage boy doesn't look forward to meeting at his girlfriend's house
nsos wrote:When I was a teen and did the inevitable trying to suck your own dick thing I managed to get the head in my mouth and I feel like the rest of my life is me being punished for that
miggles wrote:is that supposed to be a trick question or just a dumb one
cedarbridge wrote:My first idea is that everyone just stops being faggots to each other but that's not going to happen, obviously.
Not-Dorsidarf wrote:Most soap operas could be improved if every scene had a greyshirt in the background hooting "GIBE DE POOSIE BOSS" all the time
Not-Dorsidarf wrote:classic style is "shit on everyone from the greatest heights, so they cannot climb high enough to shit on you"
Super Aggro Crag wrote:you can't just use meme to mean "thing I don't like" you goatherd
Saegrimr wrote:"lel just go explore make YOUR OWN fun wow do you have NO IMAGINATION back in MY DAY we used to shove twigs in our urethras and PRETENDED WE WERE KNIGHTS"
An0n3 wrote:Fucking crystal ass wind chime lookin' bitch.
Saegrimr wrote:It should be common sense but this is /tg/.
Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #149716

CosmicScientist wrote:I came back today after dropping it in EA from sometime before corpses. I like the corpses, it makes attacks that target rows 2+ not irrelevant.

I did however not get a healer for my B-team. My B-team proceeded to come back from the Weald on four legs less than what I sent out. The only healer on the coach was the vestal... and given my options I had to have an abomination to not pay for respeccing skills on rank zeroes. Guess what, they lost their next escapade but not to being killed, instead they all were stressed to hell and back and thankfully they didn't retain the over 100 stress... but I had to give them the boot thanks to not even gaining 1 XP towards their next rank. Screw paying a 1,000 gold for treatment that won't even be fully sorted by the time the A-team comes back!

Are there any healers other than the vestal and the occultist? Is it even possible to go in without a healer? I don't trust not being critted to deaths door... or even my memories of the hag and her way to cheaply kill anyone at it... damn they knew what they were doing when they designed her.
Sadly, at the moment you basically require a Vestal or Occultist somewhere in the backline.
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #149727

If you need a specific character you can always cheat and use the "code". I did. I have no regrets.
XSI

Post by XSI » #149759

Zilenan91 wrote:Yeah no torch runs are good if you send a bunch of newbs in, they get fucked up, then send back all the loot on the last Jester with a broken leg and rabies, then fire him when he drops it off. You get a huge profit off of it and don't have to deal with any of the stress.
LIGHT IS FOR THOSE TOO WEAK TO FIGHT IN THE DARK!
All my runs are no-torch
Still not a single wipe
Single digit graveyard
Only one or two non-succesfull missions

And even those got me more than enough cash to pay for the sanity regen of the survivors
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #149773

Crusaders are fucking A+. You can win dungeons by only having four of them. They have a targetable stress and small hp heal (that also increases torch light!) a debuff, an attack that can work on even the back rows, and a powerful row 1 and 2 attack with some pretty great stats.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Zellion

Post by Zellion » #149818

Had my first death today (two actually) I couldn't kill the bandit matchman before he fired the cannon and it put two of my guys on death's door, managed to hold off the bandits and kill the cannon, just that fucking asshole in spot 1 with 1 turn left. He twisted a cigar in everyone's arm and killed them both. Successful mission, though.
>people running with no torches
GET YE AWAY FROM ME, HERETIC! I AM CHASTE!
Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #149892

Another fiend slain- Another hero sacrificed. Flush with their sucess in defeating the Necromancer Lord without casualty, the party ventured forth once more, to challenge the Formless Flesh and end the threat of the Warrens for all time.

William, the bold crusader, lifting his holy orders high.
The Mersh, a deadly -if overweight- bounty hunter.
Saiga Pishupaio, the plague doctor, so very confident that her plague grenades would rip through the Flesh before it had any chance to do the party harm.
And Rassent, still bearing that arcane, nigh-incomprehensible map, plucked from the corpse of a shambler almost a year previously.

The flesh was quickly located, with the party prepared for battle.

But, as it would turn, not as prepared as they'd have liked. The instant the group walked through the door, a vile serpent of flesh ripped through Saiga and Rassent, flicking past the frontline at lightning speed. Though Rassent was thrown to the very edge of life, saiga clung on, and Rassent's healing spell got her intestines back into more or less the right places pretty quickly.

The team fought like gods, like warrior-poets, but in the end- it was barely enough. Rassent fell, her heart pierced by a lashing spinal column. Her final words- "I am ready, Light."
In an instant, all regarded each other. Without Rassent's healing power- could they hope to survive?

The Mersh and Saiga glanced at each other, hearts pounding. They should flee- shouldn't they? The Mersh snorted, flicking his head towards the exit.

But William- normally so devout, ever praising the Light's plan- simply stared at the body of the Vestal. He remembered arriving with her on the stagecoach- how her powers had saved him from the very brink of death as they faced the Necromancer Lord. How serene she looked, deep in prayer.

Something broke within him, and a fury far-removed from his normal righteous outrage bubbled up within him. Roaring blasphemies and imprecations in equal measure, he charged the Flesh, his sacred scroll before him. His bare hands rent apart the Flesh, scrabbling for purchase on the thing's black heart- and then, with a triumphant shout, he tore the thing from the blight-ridden, shredded mass of meat, and crushed it beneath his boot.

He turned to his companions, his face invisible beneath his helm.

"Now we may retreat."
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #149912

Don't forget for a cost you can pay to lock down good traits a character has, its a good idea to do that when your building up a good character. Also from what I heard you should prioritise getting eldritch bonuses since the Final Dungeon is composed of them.

Either way I'm enjoying the game a lot thus far.
capi duffman

Post by capi duffman » #149915

Steelpoint wrote:Don't forget for a cost you can pay to lock down good traits a character has, its a good idea to do that when your building up a good character. Also from what I heard you should prioritise getting eldritch bonuses since the Final Dungeon is composed of them.

Either way I'm enjoying the game a lot thus far.
Yep, leaving aside the final boss, everything else is eldritch.

Also, prepare the stress resistance, and maybe a touch of plague too.
XSI

Post by XSI » #149955

You know camping?
Fuck camping

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
Spoiler:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =610511680

Edit: Random ass eldritch beast attacked, turn order was exactly wrong and my group had to abort the quest after beating it to a pulp
Only barely broke even on that one
Zellion

Post by Zellion » #150024

XSI wrote:You know camping?
Fuck camping

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
Spoiler:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =610511680

Edit: Random ass eldritch beast attacked, turn order was exactly wrong and my group had to abort the quest after beating it to a pulp
Only barely broke even on that one
>that stress level
>that light
jesus christ get away from me