Station Map

Discussing the mapping/spriting/coding efforts involved in creating a version of SS13 that takes place on a planet surface. Will be finished Soon(TM)

Moderators: MisterPerson, Code Maintainers

Okand37
In-Game Game Master

Byond Username: Okand37

Re: Station Map

Postby Okand37 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:40 pm #365333

It has been a productive few days, but I've managed to draft and create most of the engineering department's structure, which will be predominantly featured on the surface level. Some minor things still need to be finished (ie: the atmospheric airlock, maintenance doors, so on and so forth) but a majority of the layout is there. Atmospherics will have access to the engineering desk or "foyer" room to access the department protolathe. The line of delivery tiles behind the firelocks near the entrance will feature a set of shutters to seal the engineering department from being entered without using maintenance.

Upper Level (Engineering):
Spoiler:

Upper Level (Atmospherics):
Spoiler:
Are you being the neighbour Mr. Rogers would've wanted you to be?

Screemonster

Byond Username: Scree

Postby Screemonster » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:49 pm #365335

ShadowDimentio wrote:
Kor wrote:
ShadowDimentio wrote:>Armory has a wall pressed up against main/the outside

Not ok. The rest looks good though.

The three main maps in rotation (box/meta/delta) all have an armory bordering space though.

Space requires special equipment to enter and not die to, the outside on planetstation has no such requirement (as far as I know).

As for the other stuff, I like the designs but the library/bar and hydro are EXTREMELY cramped. Imagine 3 botanists trying to work in that space, or 5 people bumbling around in the bar. Just not much room to move without running into someone.

Shadow has a point. One of the old Bay box-variant maps had the armory backed right up against a dead-end maintenance tunnel that went to one of the solars and basically nowhere else, and it was trivial to break into the armory as the janitor or some shit. Moving the maint tunnel a couple of tiles to the left and putting a single row of space tiles separating them at least made it take some effort to get in there.

Okand37
In-Game Game Master

Postby Okand37 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:56 pm #365337

Screemonster wrote:
ShadowDimentio wrote:
Kor wrote:
ShadowDimentio wrote:>Armory has a wall pressed up against main/the outside

Not ok. The rest looks good though.

The three main maps in rotation (box/meta/delta) all have an armory bordering space though.

Space requires special equipment to enter and not die to, the outside on planetstation has no such requirement (as far as I know).

As for the other stuff, I like the designs but the library/bar and hydro are EXTREMELY cramped. Imagine 3 botanists trying to work in that space, or 5 people bumbling around in the bar. Just not much room to move without running into someone.

Shadow has a point. One of the old Bay box-variant maps had the armory backed right up against a dead-end maintenance tunnel that went to one of the solars and basically nowhere else, and it was trivial to break into the armory as the janitor or some shit. Moving the maint tunnel a couple of tiles to the left and putting a single row of space tiles separating them at least made it take some effort to get in there.

It doesn't have its back to a maintenance tunnel or the outside at its back, it's filler space (see: map in progress) and is subject to change.

PantherPusher

Byond Username: PantherPusher

Postby PantherPusher » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:36 pm #365350

What's the planet atmosphere like?

Okand37
In-Game Game Master

Postby Okand37 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:47 pm #365354

PantherPusher wrote:What's the planet atmosphere like?

Best example is lavaland's atmosphere. You'll need oxygen if you want to be able to breath outside, but otherwise pressure won't be an issue. Not quite sure exactly how water will play out, but to my assumption it'll essentially be like space but it doesn't transfer its atmosphere to the surrounding land-I could be wrong, though.

PantherPusher

Byond Username: PantherPusher

Postby PantherPusher » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:49 pm #365514

Okand37 wrote: Best example is lavaland's atmosphere. You'll need oxygen if you want to be able to breath outside, but otherwise pressure won't be an issue. Not quite sure exactly how water will play out, but to my assumption it'll essentially be like space but it doesn't transfer its atmosphere to the surrounding land-I could be wrong, though.

Is the heat exchanger system for the engine built with an outdoor atmosphere that is not space in mind?

Okand37
In-Game Game Master

Postby Okand37 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:40 pm #365603

PantherPusher wrote:
Okand37 wrote: Best example is lavaland's atmosphere. You'll need oxygen if you want to be able to breath outside, but otherwise pressure won't be an issue. Not quite sure exactly how water will play out, but to my assumption it'll essentially be like space but it doesn't transfer its atmosphere to the surrounding land-I could be wrong, though.

Is the heat exchanger system for the engine built with an outdoor atmosphere that is not space in mind?

The idea is that the water will function similarly to space in regards to temperature for the pipes, so the water will "cool" the pipes like space regularly would.

Okand37
In-Game Game Master

Postby Okand37 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:21 pm #371087

As a bit of a footnote, I'd like to start off by saying that the map has been being worked on, and is actually nearing completion of the planning stage. The upper level, excusing a few instances of small unfinished closets, maintenance areas, and a few missing doors, is about ready to move onto the next stage. Power wiring, atmospheric piping, wall equipment, spawners, etc. will come as apart of this "next stage." Once the lower level is ready to move onto this completion stage as well, I might post a few more pictures. For now, here's a (poorly) cropped picture of the medical and science upper level areas. Virology and the morgue will be featured on the lower medical level, and science's xenobiology will be featured on the science lower level.

Upper Level (Medical):
Spoiler:

SpaceInaba

Byond Username: SpaceInaba

Postby SpaceInaba » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:31 pm #371090

>heads of staff have a private office section
yessssSSSS
Spoiler:
Edit signature

This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make.
NSFW:
There is a 4096 character limit.

letshavecake

Byond Username: Letshavecake

Postby letshavecake » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:21 am #372702

That cargo looks so comfy

Armhulen

Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: Armhulen

Postby Armhulen » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:19 am #372727

Cmon, the geneticists should have to go into the jungle to get their monkeys.

ShadowDimentio

Byond Username: David273

Postby ShadowDimentio » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:25 am #372736

See about making the maint z-level randomized at roundstart so exploring is an actual thing that happens down there.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz

Not-Dorsidarf
In-Game Admin

Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Postby Not-Dorsidarf » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:54 pm #378308

The engine room looks really cramped. Is it not possible to make it 3 tiles wide instead of a 2-tile corridor of a room?
Still, my support will always go towards the rightful Lord of Yurop, God-Emperor Donald Trump the Trumpst. Trumpingrad for life. He'll make an indiscriminate number of countries great again.

Deadcomic

Okand37
In-Game Game Master

Postby Okand37 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:34 pm #399318

As a note, the project is still receiving attention and the station is still being worked on. Although there aren't really any new major pictures to share, a majority of the upper level has been completed. This includes areas, powernet, piping, wall equipment, landmarks, and other important tidbits that were not previously on the map.

In the mean time, here are some (poorly taken) pictures of the chapel and the upper-level bridge!

Upper Level (Bridge/Command Hall)
Spoiler:

Upper Level (Chapel)
Spoiler:

Okand37
In-Game Game Master

Postby Okand37 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:00 am #399393

After taking a look at the upper level of the science department, I've decided to start reworking some of the layout to bring the department closer together and to help it feel more natural in its organisation as opposed to forced. Starting with the entry area which includes the security post, the robotics lab, and research & development, here is a comparison of the old and new versions.

Science Foyer (Old)
Spoiler:

Science Foyer (New)
Spoiler:

Armhulen

Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: Armhulen

Postby Armhulen » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:22 am #399395

I'm worried there's too much stuff here, should I be? @kor?

Okand37
In-Game Game Master

Postby Okand37 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:04 am #399719

Aside from some minor kinks to iron out and finish, most of the upper level area of the research/science department is finished/reorganized! To note, the rest of science (xenobiology, toxins, and circuitry) will be featured on the lower level of the station. The experimentor room was compacted a bit to fit with the rest of the theme and account for the change in the entryway.

Upper level (Science)
Spoiler:

PKPenguin321
In-Game Game Master

Byond Username: PKPenguin321

Postby PKPenguin321 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:16 am #468283

fat necro but we have multi z in the code now, has anybody looked at how it might interact with the mapping for this?
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:

Screemonster

Byond Username: Scree

Postby Screemonster » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:42 am #468288

If the brig doesn't have a walkway over the top for the warden to yeet people into the cells then it's a missed opportunity

PKPenguin321
In-Game Game Master

Byond Username: PKPenguin321

Postby PKPenguin321 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:26 am #476839

throwback
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:

nullbear

Byond Username: Nullbear