Admin Standards and Accountability

Moderators: Jalleo, Vekter, Munchlax, oranges

Hathkar

Byond Username: Hathkar

Admin Standards and Accountability

Unread postby Hathkar » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:39 am #437515

I know I'm super late to the party, but here I go anyway.

Do you think the current admin standards are satisfactory?
Admin Conduct
What is expected of the admins

Do you also think these standards are being enforced as well as they could be? If not, what are some changes you would implement?
I play as Launch Kusami on Bagil (Rarely on Sybil).
Also you should max your suit sensors.

wubli
In-Game Admin

Byond Username: Wubli

Re: Admin Standards and Accountability

Unread postby wubli » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:42 am #437542

Not late, voting is still on!

I agree with both posts, but I'd like to point something out:
"No Attacks/harassment towards players" should not mean admins can't dislike people and behave like they'd behave as players. While I personally prefer avoiding conflict, as long as admin powers aren't involved, they should be allowed to voice their opinion about players. My point is: if you can say "lol x admin is shit", they can totally reply back as long as it doesn't develop an in-game grudge that will make their adminning biased.

There was a situation not so long ago in which an admin spawned revs, being one of the few existing traitors the only head. I believe people who roll antag deserve to not have their round messed with. For these specific cases I'd add a "don't mess too much with antag rounds". Doing an event where you spawn a mob and joke around is fine. Spawning a whole new set of antagonists that might directly target the existing ones -this obviously does not count a deathsquad or ERT during an advanced round, or even a blob, just things like revs or cult-. I've always thought of this as an unspoken rule and I'd definitely have to consult the other headmins/admins first.

Something I believe is relevant is sorting out what to do about the expected admin/player behavior. This relates to a situation in which someone complained about an admin messing with them in the github, not in game. In case an admin is harassing a player outside of the game, I'd suggest going for Discord or forum PMs, and keeping admin complaints like they are. Again, unless it involves in-game behavior, admins will be treated like any other player regarding these accusations.

About ahelps, I believe no one who does this -and for free- should have to deal with someone insulting them over a petty fight, but we're also used to a sort of toxic way of talking in which we find fun. I wouldn't like a player to say "x admin was mean to me on ahelps which makes my point valid!" argument. If you're being a dick, admins can reply back to it - but I'd suggest trying not to be affected by it enough to reply back in the same way. Basically, keep rule 1 in mind whenever someone is an asshole in ahelps and you're completely free to mute them if they aren't cooperating when you're trying to find out why did someone make their sprite horizontal.

I'd accept suggestions though, since my expectations from admins are just being treated decently and being an admin makes it difficult to understand what's happening on the other side.
what's cooking good looking i'm jill desouza/aria lacroix and i'm here to try

BeeSting12
In-Game Admin

Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Unread postby BeeSting12 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:07 pm #437570

My opinion on admin standards are: If it ain't broke don't fix it.

wubli wrote:There was a situation not so long ago in which an admin spawned revs, being one of the few existing traitors the only head. I believe people who roll antag deserve to not have their round messed with. For these specific cases I'd add a "don't mess too much with antag rounds". Doing an event where you spawn a mob and joke around is fine. Spawning a whole new set of antagonists that might directly target the existing ones -this obviously does not count a deathsquad or ERT during an advanced round, or even a blob, just things like revs or cult-. I've always thought of this as an unspoken rule and I'd definitely have to consult the other headmins/admins first.

I disagree with this. The whole "I got antag so my round is sacred" mentality is awful and contradictory to the game's spirit. Losing is part of the game, and if it makes the game funner for the majority then I don't see why we shouldn't be able to run events, even if it spawns conversion antagonists, on traitor or whatever rounds. I wasn't there for the round in question, so I can't really defend/attack the event but the more restrictions we place on admin events, the more stale events will be.
Stickymayhem wrote:you're right!

Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day

Click here to make incoherent rants about my badminning.

wubli
In-Game Admin

Byond Username: Wubli

Unread postby wubli » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:13 pm #437626

BeeSting12 wrote:Losing is part of the game, and if it makes the game funner for the majority then I don't see why we shouldn't be able to run events, even if it spawns conversion antagonists, on traitor or whatever rounds. I wasn't there for the round in question, so I can't really defend/attack the event but the more restrictions we place on admin events, the more stale events will be.

We wouldn't give antag tokens when admins mess up antag rounds then. Not sacred means we can spawn a blob or a lone op in late round - not an antag that will directly attack them. This depends on the context and my point is mainly: have into consideration that rolling antag isn't super common when you're making an event. Don't do something that will directly target the current antags (this depends a lot on context and round time).

Losing is part of the game but having your rare roll ruined by an admin because they thought it'd be funny sounds a bit unfair. Just asking for consideration and communication - you can even PM them asking if they wouldn't mind some spicing up.

We usually wait for extended rounds for events where we spawn multiple antags ormake it messy, don't we? Yet it doesn't stop us from running events.
what's cooking good looking i'm jill desouza/aria lacroix and i'm here to try

Return to Candidate Debates