[mrrory] - Administrator Application

Moderators: In-Game Head Admins, In-Game Admin, Game Server Operators, TGMC Administrator, TGMC Lead

User avatar
Rory
 
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:13 pm
Byond Username: MrRory

[mrrory] - Administrator Application

Unread postby Rory » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:33 pm #457612

Current ckey and any previous ckeys: mrrory
Character name(s): Hafu Kujo.
Timezone: GMT+0
Discord tag: Rory#1188

Any previous experience administrating? Where and in what manner:
I was an active Yogstation Moderator and subsequently Administrator between October 2017 and January/February 2018. I liked it there, but I threw myself too much into it and burned out. I had no job at the time and was pouring full-time hours into SS13, primarily Yogs. I also kept offering my help up to people, increasing my (2d spessman) workload. I ended up juggling three or four SS13 related responsibilities across two servers. When a career came along I essentially poofed out of existence for months. Burnout is real.

Anyway here's my old profile: https://forums.yogstation.net/index.php ... rory.4738/
Some of the old guard might remember me too.

How familiar are you with our ruleset:
I have studied the ruleset well enough to administrate confidently and competently.

How long have you been playing TGMC and other servers in general:
SS13 as a whole -> Since about June-July 2017.
TGMC -> Since the 27th of October 2018.

Have you been banned from any SS13 servers within the past 6 months? If so, what server, and for what reason:
I haven't been banned in the last six months. To be honest I've barely played in the last six months.

Have you ever recieved a permanent ban from a server? If so, what server, and for what reason:
I haven't been genuinely permanently banned before. I might have been perma'd before by a friendmin, but if I was it was lifted within minutes. I can't remember confidently, but that's the sort of tomfoolery that goes on in asay.

Why do you want to become an administrator:
-I'm a sucker for helping out.
-Shitlers bug me.
-LaKiller won't stop beating me until I do.



Please fill out the following example scenarios, put your answer on a separate line from the question:

1. A player shoots another player near the start of the round, but the MPs have already detained and brigged him.
From the tone of this question, I will assume that the victim has been shot, but is not dead.
Bwoink the player, get their story. Bwoink the victim, get their story. Compare their stories and notes. Talk to them, particularly the shooter.
Warn and note the aggressor if the shooting was improper escalation or grief. Potentially dayban the player if he has a history of doing this and has been warned before.


2. You see a player walking around the ship without any clothes on, looking pretty lost.
If we have mentors, which we usually do, I'll offer babysitting duty to them. Otherwise I'll do it myself and call them 'shitments' or something like that.
Most of the time this is just a new player who needs some guides to read up on and a few pointers. We were all new once.


3. A player is getting aggressive in adminhelps and requesting to speak to a higher ranking staff member.
Honestly? This is usually a play it by ear sort of situation. You need to consider what the ahelp is about, who created the ticket, and what the ticket is regarding.
I'm going to assume that the ahelp is created by the aggressive player, and is borne largely out of minor salt.
These are my main approaches to this:
- If he's not particularly nasty, I'll happily hand him over to a willing headmin if there is one.
- If he's being exceptionally nasty and insulting, I'm not keen to pawn off that responsibility to a headmin, unless they volunteer. I'll explain that noone wants to talk to him but me. If he continues to escalate, I'll explain what's happening before issuing a note and a day-ban to cool off.
- If no higher admin is available, I'll tell him he's all he's got. If he continues to escalate, I'll explain what's happening, before giving him a day-ban to cool off. I'll document this in a note.


4. You notice a player with a name that doesn't fit our naming rules. The player is arguing that they've used the name for several years across multiple servers and no one has told them to change it before.
I tell him to change it. I explain that, although other servers may like it, it doesn't fit our naming rules. I'll give him a new name for the rest of the round.
I will also detail in a note what he has been told. This is for future staff reference, particularly in-case he changes the name back.


5. You see an MT running around in armour and carrying a rifle. The security level is green with no threat present.
Usually this is done out of ignorance rather than blatant metagame. Nonetheless I will bwoink him and explain what he is doing wrong. I will add a note detailing this for future reference.

6. The round is stagnating. There are 14 marines and 4 aliens. The marines won't leave the ship, and the aliens won't attack. What would you do, to "encourage" the sides to engage each other?
Adminbussing, the nectar of Administrating SS13. Honestly there are a range of options depending on the situation, atmosphere, and severity of the stalemate.
The most common port of call is simply to give the CO or Queen a nudge. The most straightforward way to do this a high-command (Queen Mother) message ordering the Marines (Hive) to capture the colony (ship) at all costs.
If that doesn't work, or if the atmosphere lends itself to a little flair, you can do more flashy things. An example would be bussing in a reliable roleplayer as a TGMC Commodore with orders to demote the CO for his failures, take over, and ensure the colony's capture at all costs, with the help of the Military Police if need be.

7. A marine is running around disarming other marines and stealing their gear near the beginning of the round.
If this is on a small scale, this could potentially handled by Military Police in-character.
However this is at the very least worth a stern talking to with accompanying note.
If the player has a history of shitlery, an appropriate ban can be issued.

8. A marine has killed another marine. When you ask him why, he said it was because the other marine had punched him or said something rude towards him.
Bwoink the player, get their story. Bwoink the victim, get their story. Cross-examine their stories where appropriate. Check notes.
Warn and note the aggressor if it seems like an honest mistake, instruct them to read the rules.
If the player has been warned before or has a history of shitlery, issue a ban, giving them time to learn what escalation is.
The ban can be temporary or permanent with instructions to appeal when they understand what they did wrong. This is to be played be ear.

9. There are minor racist comments going on IC. 9 of the 10 people are laughing and roleplaying but one player gets offended and adminhelps about it.
I'll start by saying that if racism leaks into OOC, I will have a problem with it.
Kept IC? Play by ear. If it's in-character and not someone just failrp screaming "GAS THE JEWS RACE WAR GAS THE JEWS RACE WAR HEIL HITLER 88 88 88" then it's likely to be best dealt with IC.
At the end of the day, some people will find playing ironic racist characters fun, and that's allowed here. I'll explain that this is the way the server works to the offended player.

10. A marine opens fire at several marines during briefing killing multiple people and logs off before you can message him.
Permaban the player with the ban descriptor explaining the issue and asking them to appeal the ban in order to explain their actions.
They will stay banned until they appeal the ban. Upon appeal, either a fixed-time ban can potentially be put in place, or the permaban can be upheld.
Heal the marines wounded/killed by his actions.

11. You see a larva die near the frontlines. Upon further investigation, you see that they bursted in a safe place far away.
Bwoink the Larva. Get the player to explain themselves. Check the player's notes. Explain to the player that they're being a dick. Warn and note the player.

12. You see a xeno excessively saying phrases like "Ayyylmao", "Reeeee" and similar in the hivemind chat.
Warn the player to do so in moderation. There's no issue with occasionally letting off steam with a 'reee,' but this is a MRP server. Note that the player was warned for this.

13. A command staff player mentions during briefing that there might be xenos on the planet.
This is not against the rules. The Marines are aware that Xenos exist. The marines are not, however, aware that they present a credible threat to the Almayer.

14. A marine kills another marine on the Evac Pod to take the last spot, but has roleplayed the situation quite well.
Honestly? This is the toughest question here. My answer is somewhat circumstantial. If the RP is good and the killed player does not ahelp or complain then all is good. Cool player moment created.
If RP is solid but the victim is annoyed, I will likely point out that the round was effectively over, and that there were good in-character motivations for what happened. As this is post-crash, the round is also effectively in the prologue stage.
Regardless, it is worth talking to the shooter, and explaining to them that although the RP is good, they are treading a thin line. I will make a note of this.

Ultimately this is a very tricky issue to administrate, and I admit I creamed over the rules again just for this one question, trying to find both sides of the argument, my main points being the following.
"Examples of non-fitting behavior: intent to kill a fellow marine" - This is goes distinctly against the shooter.
"Murders or executions are unlikely to be legitimate." - This means that the murder was at best, tenuous, but it does allow for that fact that not all murders are illegitimate.
"The key to determining if they are valid or not is whether they are RP-fitting." - This is the shooters best defence, and the actions do seem valid in this light.

With all the above I stand by my course of action if no more senior member of staff is available. However if more senior staff were present, I would definitely consult them for their opinions. This is not an open-and-shut issue and I'm not particularly confident in my verdict.


15. You see an SSD Squad Leader in the preparation room 1 hour into the round. When you check the logs, you notice he logged off near the beginning of the round.
Remove them from the round. Check the player's notes. If they have a history of this, issue a comprehensive jobban for important roles. If this is a one-off, add a note detailing what happened.

16. You see a member of the staff give wrong information in an adminhelp.
Give the correct information to the staff member. Have them explain this to the player.

17. You see a member of the staff abusing his powers in-game or otherwise breaking the administrator rules.
Record evidence. Confront member of staff. Show evidence to Headmin.

18. You see a player bashing another server or player in OOC.
It matters whether it's a server or a player.
If it's a server, he needs to chill.
If it's a player, he needs to chill. If the player is being particularly nasty I may formally warn him and issue a note.
If the player escalates in either of these situations, I will escalate accordingly, potentially leading to a dayban, in order to cool off.



User avatar
Just L
TGMC Administrator
 
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:54 am
Byond Username: Just L

Re: [mrrory] - Administrator Application

Unread postby Just L » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:25 pm #457644

I'm gonna give you bonus points for getting 13 right. Congrats!

Going down your list seriously, I do suggest not being so quick to add notes for minor things, such as an MT having a gun and armor, or a xeno going "reee" in hivemind chat. Besides that, you have solid answers here and seem to know what you're talking about, so I think you'd be good.

For 15, I assume you mean "Put them in a cryo pod or delete and open a new slot".

xantam
 
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:51 pm
Byond Username: Xantam

Re: [mrrory] - Administrator Application

Unread postby xantam » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:33 pm #457649

Hi, Yogstation host here.

MR.Rory was a good staff member while we had him, active and helpful. However after a while, shortly after his promotion from mod to admin, he disappeared without a word. From the last we heard of him as a staff member on yogs, this is the first time we've seen him since, on this application. Reliability is a key attribute to a team, not informing people that you wished to leave is a failure.

Some plus and minus in there.

User avatar
LaKiller8
TGMC Lead
 
Joined: Sun May 20, 2018 4:34 pm
Byond Username: LaKiller8

Re: [mrrory] - Administrator Application

Unread postby LaKiller8 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:50 pm #457654

Thank you for showing answers and applying!

Rory wrote:~snip~-LaKiller won't stop beating me until I do.~snip~

You're damn right I won't.

Rory wrote:2. You see a player walking around the ship without any clothes on, looking pretty lost.
If we have mentors, which we usually do, I'll offer babysitting duty to them. Otherwise I'll do it myself and call them 'shitments' or something like that.
Most of the time this is just a new player who needs some guides to read up on and a few pointers. We were all new once.

AIIA is usually the one doing the mentor whipping, you wouldn't want to steal the only enjoyable thing from him now, would you?

Rory wrote:~snip~I'll happily hand him over to a willing headmin if there is one.~snip~

Who is this mysterious marksman?


Joking aside, here are some things I'd like to point out in regards to your answers:

Rory wrote:5. You see an MT running around in armour and carrying a rifle. The security level is green with no threat present.
Usually this is done out of ignorance rather than blatant metagame. Nonetheless I will bwoink him and explain what he is doing wrong. I will add a note detailing this for future reference.

Unless the MT is not doing his job as per the role standards, this is purely an IC issue. We don't have rules about powergaming or metagaming in this regard.

Rory wrote:6. The round is stagnating. There are 14 marines and 4 aliens. The marines won't leave the ship, and the aliens won't attack. What would you do, to "encourage" the sides to engage each other?
Adminbussing, the nectar of Administrating SS13. Honestly there are a range of options depending on the situation, atmosphere, and severity of the stalemate.
The most common port of call is simply to give the CO or Queen a nudge. The most straightforward way to do this a high-command (Queen Mother) message ordering the Marines (Hive) to capture the colony (ship) at all costs.
If that doesn't work, or if the atmosphere lends itself to a little flair, you can do more flashy things. An example would be bussing in a reliable roleplayer as a TGMC Commodore with orders to demote the CO for his failures, take over, and ensure the colony's capture at all costs, with the help of the Military Police if need be.

Until we implement /tg/'s "get random ghost for this role" feature you would ask for ghosts to pray and pick them in order, preferring players over staff members. I get the appeal of having a good roleplayer, but we're here to provide fun for the players, besides how else would someone get good at roleplay or even realize they like it if we don't give them a chance?

Rory wrote:8. A marine has killed another marine. When you ask him why, he said it was because the other marine had punched him or said something rude towards him.
Bwoink the player, get their story. Bwoink the victim, get their story. Cross-examine their stories where appropriate. Check notes.
Warn and note the aggressor if it seems like an honest mistake, instruct them to read the rules.
If the player has been warned before or has a history of shitlery, issue a ban, giving them time to learn what escalation is.
The ban can be temporary or permanent with instructions to appeal when they understand what they did wrong. This is to be played be ear.

More often than not your role in this will be comparable to a teacher: you will have to calmly explain the rules to someone that's frustrated while keeping your cool and doing your best to make sure they understood. Even though what you said is the correct process, the human part in this is very important. Moderating is about changing the player's behavior. Make sure the player understands what they did wrong, and that they are unlikely to repeat it.

Rory wrote:11. You see a larva die near the frontlines. Upon further investigation, you see that they bursted in a safe place far away.
Bwoink the Larva. Get the player to explain themselves. Check the player's notes. Explain to the player that they're being a dick. Warn and note the player.

If it's a genuinely new player it's better to just explain it to them why it's bad in a calm manner. In this very specific instance I wouldn't note them at all.

Rory wrote:14. A marine kills another marine on the Evac Pod to take the last spot, but has roleplayed the situation quite well.
Honestly? This is the toughest question here. My answer is somewhat circumstantial. If the RP is good and the killed player does not ahelp or complain then all is good. Cool player moment created.
If RP is solid but the victim is annoyed, I will likely point out that the round was effectively over, and that there were good in-character motivations for what happened. As this is post-crash, the round is also effectively in the prologue stage.
Regardless, it is worth talking to the shooter, and explaining to them that although the RP is good, they are treading a thin line. I will make a note of this.

Ultimately this is a very tricky issue to administrate, and I admit I creamed over the rules again just for this one question, trying to find both sides of the argument, my main points being the following.
"Examples of non-fitting behavior: intent to kill a fellow marine" - This is goes distinctly against the shooter.
"Murders or executions are unlikely to be legitimate." - This means that the murder was at best, tenuous, but it does allow for that fact that not all murders are illegitimate.
"The key to determining if they are valid or not is whether they are RP-fitting." - This is the shooters best defence, and the actions do seem valid in this light.

With all the above I stand by my course of action if no more senior member of staff is available. However if more senior staff were present, I would definitely consult them for their opinions. This is not an open-and-shut issue and I'm not particularly confident in my verdict.

In this specific case it would be a mix of Rule 0 and "The key to determining if they are valid or not is whether they are RP-fitting." as you already mentioned. Not punishing the aggressor here is not a bad choice at all, but as with everything context is king, just make sure you explain it to the person that died and is ahelping about it in detail what happened and why you decided to act like you did, we aim to promote roleplay.

Rory wrote:15. You see an SSD Squad Leader in the preparation room 1 hour into the round. When you check the logs, you notice he logged off near the beginning of the round.
Remove them from the round. Check the player's notes. If they have a history of this, issue a comprehensive jobban for important roles. If this is a one-off, add a note detailing what happened.

Usually a jobban from just that specific role is enough, as in most cases it's the player not realizing it and when they do come back they are curious why they are banned from one role specifically, they find out about it and can appeal it.
Last edited by LaKiller8 on Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited irrelevant part

User avatar
Rory
 
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:13 pm
Byond Username: MrRory

Re: [mrrory] - Administrator Application

Unread postby Rory » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:48 am #457730

I do suggest not being so quick to add notes for minor things

A lot of this stems from my belief that notes need not be negative. I've used them more as a means to build up a 'file' on the player, and document significant interactions with staff. A note doesn't necessarily mean the player did something wrong, at least in my eyes. I've issued notes in the past for exceptionally good acts. Nonetheless, if the system here is that notes are solely a form of reprimand then it would be appropriate to issue less notes that I have indicated in my answers. It has occured to me as I write this that iirc players can check their notes on TGMC, while in in my past experience tickets were only viewable by staff. This changes things slightly.

For 15, I assume you mean "Put them in a cryo pod or delete and open a new slot".

Yes, that's what I mean. Apologies for not being more explicit.

In regards to Xantam's comments, they are truthful; if a member of staff has concerns about this and wishes to probe me about this time in detail, they are welcome to DM me on Discord. Nonetheless I do not believe the fact that I might decide to suddenly leave TGMC at some point (after volunteering a significant amount of my time) is a hindrance. If the idea of me being dragged away to deal with other facets of my life is an issue, I will not begrudge the rejection of my application, and will continue to contribute as I have been doing. No harm, no foul.

Unless the MT is not doing his job as per the role standards, this is purely an IC issue. We don't have rules about powergaming or metagaming in this regard.

My bad. I was clearly incorrect here.

Until we implement /tg/'s "get random ghost for this role" feature you would ask for ghosts to pray and pick them in order, preferring players over staff members. I get the appeal of having a good roleplayer, but we're here to provide fun for the players, besides how else would someone get good at roleplay or even realize they like it if we don't give them a chance?

This makes a lot of sense and is a big improvement on the concept.

More often than not your role in this will be comparable to a teacher: you will have to calmly explain the rules to someone that's frustrated while keeping your cool and doing your best to make sure they understood. Even though what you said is the correct process, the human part in this is very important. Moderating is about changing the player's behavior. Make sure the player understands what they did wrong, and that they are unlikely to repeat it.

I understand and have experience in this. I might be coming across a little clinical because I'm just outlining the steps to take on a forum. Nonetheless, this is a good way to describe staffing and I agree with it. It's better to improve a player's behavior than punish it.

If it's a genuinely new player it's better to just explain it to them why it's bad in a calm manner. In this very specific instance I wouldn't note them at all.

This loops back to how I have treated notes, previously. The note would include that it seemed accidental, and would exist solely to document that they've had this explained to them. Nonetheless I am happy to hold back on the notes, particularly if players are able to see their notes and could potentially become disheartened by them. I generally didn't tell players when I was documenting encounters like this, and they would therefore have never known about the note. In the unlikely event that the player kept repeating the mistake and pretending they didn't know better, there would be proof to the contrary.

In this specific case it would be a mix of Rule 0 and "The key to determining if they are valid or not is whether they are RP-fitting." as you already mentioned. Not punishing the aggressor here is not a bad choice at all, but as with everything context is king, just make sure you explain it to the person that died and is ahelping about it in detail what happened and why you decided to act like you did, we aim to promote roleplay.

I understand and agree with this.

Usually a jobban from just that specific role is enough, as in most cases it's the player not realizing it and when they do come back they are curious why they are banned from one role specifically, they find out about it and can appeal it.

If that's the proportional stance I am happy to enforce it. My logic was that they'd be more likely to just 'play around' the SL if they were specifically banned from that role, and could end up repeating the same error in roles such as CO and XO. My logic was that if they can't be trusted with SL, I wouldn't trust them with CO. However reflecting upon this I understand your point.

User avatar
LaKiller8
TGMC Lead
 
Joined: Sun May 20, 2018 4:34 pm
Byond Username: LaKiller8

Re: [mrrory] - Administrator Application

Unread postby LaKiller8 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:23 am #457732

Rory wrote:
I do suggest not being so quick to add notes for minor things

A lot of this stems from my belief that notes need not be negative. I've used them more as a means to build up a 'file' on the player, and document significant interactions with staff. A note doesn't necessarily mean the player did something wrong, at least in my eyes. I've issued notes in the past for exceptionally good acts. Nonetheless, if the system here is that notes are solely a form of reprimand then it would be appropriate to issue less notes that I have indicated in my answers. It has occured to me as I write this that iirc players can check their notes on TGMC, while in in my past experience tickets were only viewable by staff. This changes things slightly.

Notes do not need to be negative, in fact they can even be positive. They are not just a form of reprimand here, but that doesn't mean they won't be viewed like that in most scenarios even though we don't want that to be the case. We're only human, subject to the same biases as everyone else and no matter how we look at it or how much we all are on the same page, notes will still be viewed as a little black mark for the most part even if they are not intended to be, therefore it's best to not note at all during the slightest of rule breaks for the first time if the player really meant well and apologized. But if they repeat it a second time, go ahead and note them (it's not easy keeping track of player's behavior like this but it's a small sacrifice to overcome our biases). It's still a good idea to apply a note in most scenarios unless the rulebreak is so slight this "black mark" would be uncalled for. Regarding note visibility, players can view their notes here unless we make them hidden on purpose (for example "watch for potential metagaming with x", "alt ckey: y")

Rory wrote:
If it's a genuinely new player it's better to just explain it to them why it's bad in a calm manner. In this very specific instance I wouldn't note them at all.

This loops back to how I have treated notes, previously. The note would include that it seemed accidental, and would exist solely to document that they've had this explained to them. Nonetheless I am happy to hold back on the notes, particularly if players are able to see their notes and could potentially become disheartened by them. I generally didn't tell players when I was documenting encounters like this, and they would therefore have never known about the note. In the unlikely event that the player kept repeating the mistake and pretending they didn't know better, there would be proof to the contrary.

Until we implement a better system here (I'm mostly waiting for StonedMC until I can port the /tg/ ticket system) the policy is to tell the players if you are applying a note (even though they can view them they don't get a notification) unless it's supposed to be hidden for the reasons mentioned above.

User avatar
Rory
 
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:13 pm
Byond Username: MrRory

Re: [mrrory] - Administrator Application

Unread postby Rory » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:29 am #457733

LaKiller8 wrote:-snip-

Understood and duly noted. Pun unintended.
Your point on biases is a good one. I'll keep this in mind.

Kingtrin
TGMC Administrator
 
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:29 am
Byond Username: Kingtrin

Re: [mrrory] - Administrator Application

Unread postby Kingtrin » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:26 pm #457750

Rory wrote:
3. A player is getting aggressive in adminhelps and requesting to speak to a higher ranking staff member.
Honestly? This is usually a play it by ear sort of situation. You need to consider what the ahelp is about, who created the ticket, and what the ticket is regarding.
I'm going to assume that the ahelp is created by the aggressive player, and is borne largely out of minor salt.
These are my main approaches to this:
- If he's not particularly nasty, I'll happily hand him over to a willing headmin if there is one.
- If he's being exceptionally nasty and insulting, I'm not keen to pawn off that responsibility to a headmin, unless they volunteer. I'll explain that noone wants to talk to him but me. If he continues to escalate, I'll explain what's happening before issuing a note and a day-ban to cool off.
- If no higher admin is available, I'll tell him he's all he's got. If he continues to escalate, I'll explain what's happening, before giving him a day-ban to cool off. I'll document this in a note.

Partially correct. I'll give you points for wanting to approach it cautiously and being context sensitive as these are good traits to have. However, we forbid admin shopping and it doesn't matter how mad someone gets in ahelps. You are the one handling his case, and the final authority (unless a head intervenes directly which is extremely rare). If they want to file a complaint or appeal the ruling they can do so on the forums.
Rory wrote:5. You see an MT running around in armour and carrying a rifle. The security level is green with no threat present.
Usually this is done out of ignorance rather than blatant metagame. Nonetheless I will bwoink him and explain what he is doing wrong. I will add a note detailing this for future reference.

This is a mostly an IC issue and should be handled by the MP's and/or command staff. By itself its an extremely minor offense, especially since MT's are enlisted. This becomes an issue if the MT runs around greytiding. Usually, I find that the best solution for holding a gun outside of a traditional marine role is to put the safety on. Even a doctor with a gun isn't something bwoinkable, though they are still subject to the ire of MP's. The MP's and aCO must be the ones to decide how the protocol is enforced.
Rory wrote:13. A command staff player mentions during briefing that there might be xenos on the planet.
This is not against the rules. The Marines are aware that Xenos exist. The marines are not, however, aware that they present a credible threat to the Almayer.

Holy shit someone got it right. big :brain:
Rory wrote:...snip...
With all the above I stand by my course of action if no more senior member of staff is available. However if more senior staff were present, I would definitely consult them for their opinions. This is not an open-and-shut issue and I'm not particularly confident in my verdict.

It is perfectly normal to be uncertain of your rulings and to want others to chime in. It is also good to want to seek feedback for complicated issues. With that being said, sometimes you are the only one able to deliver a ruling. When you are uncertain about the ruling, look at the methodology you used to reach it. If you aren't certain you did the right thing, make sure you went about it the right way. Do that, and you will almost always arrive at a solid decision. Hint: There is no right answer to many situations, but there are right ways to approach it.

User avatar
Rory
 
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:13 pm
Byond Username: MrRory

Re: [mrrory] - Administrator Application

Unread postby Rory » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:27 pm #457757

Kingtrin wrote:Partially correct. I'll give you points for wanting to approach it cautiously and being context sensitive as these are good traits to have. However, we forbid admin shopping and it doesn't matter how mad someone gets in ahelps. You are the one handling his case, and the final authority (unless a head intervenes directly which is extremely rare). If they want to file a complaint or appeal the ruling they can do so on the forums.

Understood, I will take a tougher stance on this than outlined in my answer. I was not aware of the stance on admin shopping, my bad. It seems like solid policy to deal with the situation myself and then advise them of their avenues to complain/appeal.

Kingtrin wrote:This is a mostly an IC issue and should be handled by the MP's and/or command staff. By itself its an extremely minor offense, especially since MT's are enlisted. This becomes an issue if the MT runs around greytiding. Usually, I find that the best solution for holding a gun outside of a traditional marine role is to put the safety on. Even a doctor with a gun isn't something bwoinkable, though they are still subject to the ire of MP's. The MP's and aCO must be the ones to decide how the protocol is enforced.

This is something I was pretty definitively wrong about. Your explanation here is really solid and useful, and I'll likely recall it whenever something similar comes up. Cheers!


Kingtrin wrote:Holy shit someone got it right. big :brain:

Mind you, it's only because there was a discussion about it in OOC a few tests ago.


Kingtrin wrote:It is perfectly normal to be uncertain of your rulings and to want others to chime in. It is also good to want to seek feedback for complicated issues. With that being said, sometimes you are the only one able to deliver a ruling. When you are uncertain about the ruling, look at the methodology you used to reach it. If you aren't certain you did the right thing, make sure you went about it the right way. Do that, and you will almost always arrive at a solid decision. Hint: There is no right answer to many situations, but there are right ways to approach it.

This is really solid guidance and I appreciate it.

User avatar
Rohesie
TGMC Lead
 
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:07 pm
Byond Username: Rohesie

Re: [mrrory] - Administrator Application

Unread postby Rohesie » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:13 pm #458996

Rory wrote:Anyway here's my old profile: https://forums.yogstation.net/index.php ... rory.4738/
Some of the old guard might remember me too.


NINA

I was going to review the answers but others have done it before. My general impression of the application is very, very positive.

Some of the answers you've gotten are regarding current stances of our administration, but they are undocumented and subject to change. Applications are not about answering a quiz right, it's about showing the right attitude, in my opinion. I like your approach a lot.

You have experience, and to address the concern brought by the Yog peeps, I'm not unfamiliar with burning out and needing to disappear. If I have to condemn you or reject you for it, well, then I have to quit as well. That said, I hope we've both learned from past mistakes and are less likely to repeat it.

Hope to see you on the team.

User avatar
LaKiller8
TGMC Lead
 
Joined: Sun May 20, 2018 4:34 pm
Byond Username: LaKiller8

Re: [mrrory] - Administrator Application

Unread postby LaKiller8 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:29 pm #460462

Hello! After consulting with the rest of the admin team, I have decided to accept this application! Welcome to the team, I'll explain everything on our Discord.


Return to Closed Applications

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests