2k19 /pol/ - European Spring edition

Talk about non-ss13 stuff here.

Moderator: testing123

XSI

Byond Username: XSI

Re: 2k19 /pol/ - European Spring edition

Postby XSI » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:55 am #497372

All those tax brackets are really for is making the people who earn millions pay more money that they won't miss
But those people just move out of the country

Should have a tax just for foreign holdings, really. Either you pay your taxes or you get your local incomes taxed extra to make up for it

Rustledjimm
In-Game Game Master

Byond Username: Rustledjimm

Postby Rustledjimm » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:53 pm #497400

Malk did you get a maths GCSE or O level. How the fuck is that complicated.

Unless you're one of the idiots calling for a flat rate income tax but if you are that'd give me something to laugh at today.
So uhh, I'm an admin. Please leave feedback!

Will Baker
Suzu Suzaku
TBC
Spoiler:

Personal Ban Length Record: 2.1024e+006 minutes

cedarbridge
In-Game Admin

Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Postby cedarbridge » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:10 pm #497405

Rustledjimm wrote:Malk did you get a maths GCSE or O level. How the fuck is that complicated.

Unless you're one of the idiots calling for a flat rate income tax but if you are that'd give me something to laugh at today.

Tax brackets are the simplest part of our objectively complex tax system.

Rustledjimm
In-Game Game Master

Postby Rustledjimm » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:24 pm #497411

Precisely. Tax brackets are easy shit that even a 12 year old would understand if taught in a maths lesson (which they actually do get taught, at least I was taught bracket percentages at my school maybe Malk wasn't).

Will Baker
Suzu Suzaku
TBC
Spoiler:

Malkevin
Confined to the shed

Byond Username: Malkevin

Postby Malkevin » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:34 pm #497413

I don't mean it's complicated to work out you twit, I mean it's more complicated in a "Oh goody I'm getting a pay rise. Oh shit, most of that rise got gobbled up by the tax man" sense.

You'll see what I mean once you stop being a student and start working a proper job.
This space intentionally left blank.

cedarbridge
In-Game Admin

Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Postby cedarbridge » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:46 pm #497429

Malkevin wrote:I don't mean it's complicated to work out you twit, I mean it's more complicated in a "Oh goody I'm getting a pay rise. Oh shit, most of that rise got gobbled up by the tax man" sense.

You'll see what I mean once you stop being a student and start working a proper job.

This is true of any sort of graduated tax system. The concept is that poor people can "afford" to pay less and richer people can "afford" to pay more. It also operates on the concept that the government is both better able and entitled to determine the best use of money that otherwise would be mine. This leads to extreme cases where tax rates on the exceptionally wealthy are supported because "they wouldn't notice it being gone anyway" or "they don't really need another <luxury item of the moment here>." So really it just becomes the same social policy loop. I have no problem with joint contributions by the population into services and systems needed to keep life moving along for all of us in a shared country. I do have problems with how those contributions are framed as some moral obligation wherein the government is treated as always the best choice for administering those services by mere nature of being the government. I also have issues with the concept that if I cross a certain line of wealth acquisition I instantly have "enough" by somebody else's standards and that they become immediately entitled to the excess of that amount because they do not have it or have not acquired it by other means than mere assertion.

Rustledjimm
In-Game Game Master

Postby Rustledjimm » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:01 pm #497432

Malk thinks I've not worked a job.

Amusing. Considering I spent 6 years working before I started my current studies.

The only people whose pay raises get mostly gobbled up in tax are those already living comfortably or better and it's not over 50%. You don't stop earning more money with a pay raise no matter how much you make.

And your literal words were 'stupidly complex' if that isn't a synonym for complicated to you then I question if you got an English GCSE too.

While I understand cedars position and argument at least I disagree on certain parts. I'm on my phone in an airport and don't have much time to respond.

Will Baker
Suzu Suzaku
TBC
Spoiler:

Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Postby Super Aggro Crag » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:08 pm #497589

It makes me laugh that British people say maths instead of math. I'm glad that our countries have such differences it makes the world a more vibrant place.

FantasticFwoosh
Confined to the shed

Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Postby FantasticFwoosh » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:22 pm #497894

Super Aggro Crag wrote:It makes me laugh that British people say maths instead of math. I'm glad that our countries have such differences it makes the world a more vibrant place.

It takes many colours of blue to make a harbour portrait.

Spoiler:

Lumbermancer

Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Postby Lumbermancer » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:48 pm #498169

In defence of British English, it's more flavourful than the analogue.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge

FantasticFwoosh
Confined to the shed

Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Postby FantasticFwoosh » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:27 pm #498319

Per person there are more people who speak Spanish in America than any variety of English, perro Americano

Spoiler:

Previous

Return to Off Topic