[WitheredGryphon] - Administrator Application

Moderators: In-Game Admin, In-Game Head Admins, Game Server Operators, TGMC Game Server Operators, TGMC Administrator, TGMC Lead

WitheredGryphon

Byond Username: WitheredGryphon

[WitheredGryphon] - Administrator Application

Postby WitheredGryphon » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:40 pm #482947

Current ckey and any previous ckeys: WitheredGryphon
Character name(s): Adan Sasaki
Timezone: CST (GMT -6)
Discord tag: WitheredGryphon#8698

Any previous experience administrating? Where and in what manner:

I was a trial admin for a bit on FP Station...it’s been several years though so I hardly remember anything about it (back in 2012). Other than that, no.

How familiar are you with our ruleset:

Can’t quote it verbatim, but I’ve read them (and the precedents). I also follow the #policy channel pretty closely for any rule changes.

How long have you been playing TGMC and other servers in general:

Other servers? Around seven years. I’ve played CM for several months on-and-off. I’ve played TGMC for the past couple of months now.

Have you been banned from any SS13 servers within the past 6 months? If so, what server, and for what reason:

Paradise Station, was permabanned for leaving as an antag and not ahelping.

Have you ever recieved a permanent ban from a server? If so, what server, and for what reason:

See above. In the past seven years I’m sure I’ve been permabanned from other servers but it’s been so long since I’ve played on them I don’t know if any have retained the bans or not, nor do I remember which ones the bans would’ve been for.

Why do you want to become an administrator:

Mostly to help contribute in running the server. I know there’s been a staff shortage, so I’d like to volunteer my time to help administrate the server I enjoy.

Please fill out the following example scenarios, put your answer on a separate line from the question:

Spoiler:
1. A player shoots another player near the start of the round, but the MPs have already detained and brigged him.

The issue has already been ICly handled, but I would make a note about it in case it becomes a routine occurrence for the person.

2. You see a player walking around the ship without any clothes on, looking pretty lost.

Usually marines know where to run to, so it may be a case of just a new player. If I spot them ICly I’d likely just guide them to their equipment room. If they’re unresponsive I’d ask a mentor to assist them (or I myself would assist them in the event of no mentors) OOCly. I’d also have a Marine QuickStart guide messaged to them so they know what to do and where to go, as TGMC/CM and Byond in general can be intimidating for newcomers.

3. A player is getting aggressive in adminhelps and requesting to speak to a higher ranking staff member.

Inform them that shopping for admins is not allowed (per rule 6) but that I can definitely assist.

4. You notice a player with a name that doesn't fit our naming rules. The player is arguing that they've used the name for several years across multiple servers and no one has told them to change it before.

Inform them each server has its own rules about naming, and they need to abide by ours while playing on our server.

5. You see an MT running around in armor and carrying a rifle. The security level is green with no threat present.

This seems like an IC issue to me, I’ve routinely seen MTs deploy and need to grab gear at the FOB for their safety. I don’t think returning to the ship with that gear on warrants OOC punishment.

6. The round is stagnating. There are 14 marines and 4 aliens. The marines won't leave the ship, and the aliens won't attack. What would you do, to "encourage" the sides to engage each other?

Turn it into an RP opportunity. Maybe send down a member of “high command” to help with the Marines pushing back to the planet.

7. A marine is running around disarming other marines and stealing their gear near the beginning of the round.

Some gear I would say is an IC issue. But stealing unique items like IDs can be gamebreaking and ruin a person’s rounds (turrets attack them, can’t open doors, etc.) I feel this would warrant me sending a message to the player to return the belongings.

8. A marine has killed another marine. When you ask him why, he said it was because the other marine had punched him or said something rude towards him.

I would first check his notes if this had happened before (and if it had, proceeding with a ban). Otherwise I would add a note, inform him about escalation rules, and heal the marine that was killed.

9. There are minor racist comments going on IC. 9 of the 10 people are laughing and roleplaying but one player gets offended and adminhelps about it.

Bigotry/racism wouldn’t be acceptable even if it was 99/100 people, and is breaking rule 1. Tell them to knock it off OOCly.

10. A marine opens fire at several marines during briefing killing multiple people and logs off before you can message him.

The person obviously had no intention of speaking with the admins, so I believe issuing a permaban and letting them come to the forums would be the best way to go here.

11. You see a larva die near the frontlines. Upon further investigation, you see that they bursted in a safe place far away.

If it was an isolated incident, I would see this as an IC thing, but it easily could be an OOC if they’ve shown repeated behavior of doing this. I would probably talk with them before issuing a note to further investigate.

12. You see a xeno excessively saying phrases like "Ayyylmao", "Reeeee" and similar in the hivemind chat.

Ask them to OOCly knock it off as there’s not really a good IC way to deal with that. It’s netspeak stuff (and immersion breaking) which falls under rule 3.

13. A command staff player mentions during briefing that there might be xenos on the planet.

The command staff player has good intuition. Given the distress beacon and mass murder of a colony, I’d also say Xenos are a possibility. Seems like a lore thing to me.

14. A marine kills another marine on the Evac Pod to take the last spot, but has roleplayed the situation quite well.

If both parties agreed to the role played situation, then it makes sense to me given the IC context of the situation. I wouldn’t take any actions.

15. You see an SSD Squad Leader in the preparation room 1 hour into the round. When you check the logs, you notice he logged off near the beginning of the round.

Make a note and delete the character (return them to lobby?) to free up the role. If it’s repeated behavior, issue a jobban so they can explain themselves.

16. You see a member of the staff give wrong information in an adminhelp.

Consult over admin chat, but ultimately they’re the one handling the ticket.

17. You see a member of the staff abusing his powers in-game or otherwise breaking the administrator rules.

Talk with the admin OOCly, and if the behavior continues then bring it up with higher-up admin staff.

18. You see a player bashing another server or player in OOC.

Tell them to knock it off, bashing other servers/players isn’t tolerated and counterproductive to maintaining a friendly relationship with other servers’ staff teams.

19. A player ahelps saying that they were instantly killed by another member of their squad. When you ask their squad member who shot them, they said that it was accidental friendly fire.

As much as it sucks, this is something that will happen regardless of the player and seems like an IC issue. I think the context really matters here (was it at the FOB with no enemies, or the frontlines?) on whether or not I’d make a note of it.

Merryweather
TGMC Lead

Byond Username: Merryweather

Re: [WitheredGryphon] - Administrator Application

Postby Merryweather » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:29 pm #482990

Hi, your questions seem to display a good amount of experience about administration, and you seem to be pretty fond of our rules, but I would like to state some questions that you could elaborate for me, thanks,

11. You see a larva die near the frontlines. Upon further investigation, you see that they bursted in a safe place far away.

If it was an isolated incident, I would see this as an IC thing, but it easily could be an OOC if they’ve shown repeated behavior of doing this. I would probably talk with them before issuing a note to further investigate.

What if this larva was the only thing that could go from Drone > Queen, then died in the frontlines, then said in dchat, "Well, we were gonna lose anyway."

12. You see a xeno excessively saying phrases like "Ayyylmao", "Reeeee" and similar in the hivemind chat.

Ask them to OOCly knock it off as there’s not really a good IC way to deal with that. It’s netspeak stuff (and immersion breaking) which falls under rule 3.

Would you produce a ticket to handle this or would you actually OOC chat this out?

13. A command staff player mentions during briefing that there might be xenos on the planet.

The command staff player has good intuition. Given the distress beacon and mass murder of a colony, I’d also say Xenos are a possibility. Seems like a lore thing to me.

What if this command staff player said there were the exact number of xenos that are in game right now, and their exact locations, such as, "There are two xenos looking over the nexus dome."?

WitheredGryphon

Postby WitheredGryphon » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:44 pm #483026

TastefulLittleHamlet wrote:Hi, your questions seem to display a good amount of experience about administration, and you seem to be pretty fond of our rules, but I would like to state some questions that you could elaborate for me, thanks,

What if this larva was the only thing that could go from Drone > Queen, then died in the frontlines, then said in dchat, "Well, we were gonna lose anyway."

Now that the larva’s dead the round’s over so not much can be done about it now I don’t believe. I’d warn them to play the round out in the future, as I’ve seen Xenos come back with only 2 remaining. I’d also make a note of it in that as they intentionally suicided in that scenario.

Would you produce a ticket to handle this or would you actually OOC chat this out?

I’m not entirely sure if admin PMing them qualifies as opening a ticket, but in my eyes a ticket isn’t necessary for this. I’d only take it that far if they continued to do it after being warned through an admin PM.

What if this command staff player said there were the exact number of xenos that are in game right now, and their exact locations, such as, "There are two xenos looking over the nexus dome."?

This probably needs to be investigated, as from a surface glance it looks like there could be some metagaming occurring (e.g. their buddy joined xenos and leaking their locations). I’d ask the Captain how he got that information through PM and determine if metagaming is occurring. If not I’d just remind him about lore policy about not necessarily knowing xenos are on the planet in the future.

Urytion

Byond Username: Urytion

Postby Urytion » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:49 pm #483267

I have some responses to your questions.
Spoiler:
1. A player shoots another player near the start of the round, but the MPs have already detained and brigged him.

The issue has already been ICly handled, but I would make a note about it in case it becomes a routine occurrence for the person.

Would this be a public or an invisible note? Would you contact the player at all?

6. The round is stagnating. There are 14 marines and 4 aliens. The marines won't leave the ship, and the aliens won't attack. What would you do, to "encourage" the sides to engage each other?

Turn it into an RP opportunity. Maybe send down a member of “high command” to help with the Marines pushing back to the planet.

Would you always push the marines back in, and not the aliens?

8. A marine has killed another marine. When you ask him why, he said it was because the other marine had punched him or said something rude towards him.

I would first check his notes if this had happened before (and if it had, proceeding with a ban). Otherwise I would add a note, inform him about escalation rules, and heal the marine that was killed.

14. A marine kills another marine on the Evac Pod to take the last spot, but has roleplayed the situation quite well.

If both parties agreed to the role played situation, then it makes sense to me given the IC context of the situation. I wouldn’t take any actions.

And what if the dead party ahelps to complain?

15. You see an SSD Squad Leader in the preparation room 1 hour into the round. When you check the logs, you notice he logged off near the beginning of the round.

Make a note and delete the character (return them to lobby?) to free up the role. If it’s repeated behavior, issue a jobban so they can explain themselves.

No comment on this, just wanted to say we have a "cryo" button which immediately deletes the character and opens the slot.

If a player B ahelps about an issue caused by the wrong information given to player A, what is your response?

Some of your answers seem to show a lack of knowledge about admin tools (which isn't necessarily a bad thing, a lot of our admins come in completely unexperienced), and I suspect a few of your answers would change if you had the full knowledge.

My big concern is that you haven't mentioned any investigation at all. Contacting involved parties, log diving, checking with other admins, etc. Could you please explain why these haven't been mentioned?

It's also been brought to my attention that you recently got into an argument with a contributor on our discord. Could you please explain what happened?

WitheredGryphon

Postby WitheredGryphon » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:36 pm #483279

Urytion wrote:I have some responses to your questions.
Spoiler:

Would this be a public or an invisible note? Would you contact the player at all?

It’d depend on the context. I could try bwoinking him and asking why he shot the other person, but ultimately I think looking at the logs and determining intent would be more productive. If it were a misfire I’d make it an invisible note, but as he’s already been taken out of the round I don’t see the need for anything more than a public note/warning if it was intentional.

Would you always push the marines back in, and not the aliens?

Not necessarily, it was just an example. Using the Queen Mother is also effective since it forces the Queen to communicate what she’s doing.

And what if the dead party ahelps to complain?

I guess it wouldn’t have been roleplayed well then / both parties didn’t agree, but I’d investigate why the person shot them, inform them about escalation rules, and issue a public note.

No comment on this, just wanted to say we have a "cryo" button which immediately deletes the character and opens the slot.

If a player B ahelps about an issue caused by the wrong information given to player A, what is your response?

Assuming this is the same situation, provide them with the correct information and move on. I’m not sure what the issue is, so I can’t be more specific.

Some of your answers seem to show a lack of knowledge about admin tools (which isn't necessarily a bad thing, a lot of our admins come in completely unexperienced), and I suspect a few of your answers would change if you had the full knowledge.

My big concern is that you haven't mentioned any investigation at all. Contacting involved parties, log diving, checking with other admins, etc. Could you please explain why these haven't been mentioned?

Many of the situations, in my opinion, either already mention contact or otherwise don’t warrant it. Which question(s) are you referring to? I feel that I adequately mentioned contacting other parties in the responses that I thought would need it.

It's also been brought to my attention that you recently got into an argument with a contributor on our discord. Could you please explain what happened?

I don’t know if you want me naming names so I’ll leave it, but a third person and I had a debate over Smartgun effectiveness. The contributor dropped in posting I wrote information that I didn’t state, and when I called him out we got into an argument over the information. This was prior to him being a contributor.

Then he posted something about Xenos should have their growth entirely removed and when I disagreed with his idea he got super defensive. I told him his suggestion was “bitching” about core mechanics that have been in the game for years.

I still stand by what I said. Considering the words he threw at me, (just to quote a few, “fuckwad”, “irritating kid”, “fuck off”, “shut the fuck up”) as a Contributor, I feel my words were on the lighter end also considering that’s as much as I said. I don’t flame OOCly (not intentionally) and frankly I don’t think my words justified that kind of response. Maybe calling his suggestion “bitching” was overkill, but I don’t feel it warranted that.

I’d post both logs, but again, I’m not sure if you want to name names.

Return to TGMC Closed Applications