[Drawsstuff] - Administrator Application

Moderators: In-Game Head Admins, In-Game Admin, TGMC Game Server Operators, Game Server Operators, TGMC Administrator, TGMC Lead

drawsstuff
TGMC Administrator

Byond Username: Drawsstuff

[Drawsstuff] - Administrator Application

Postby drawsstuff » Sun May 05, 2019 10:30 pm #492299

Current ckey and any previous ckeys: Drawsstuff

Character name(s):Amber Aggly, Rock (xeno)

Timezone: Eastern

Discord tag: Drawsstuff#8618

Any previous experience administrating? Where and in what manner:

I work in a job as a computer administer already, its mainly making sure kids follow the internet rules, teachers have their tech working, and things are up and running. Functionally no experience with SS13 outside of private server testing and some mentoring here and there.

How familiar are you with our ruleset:

Well familiar. It's functionally a copy of the /tg/ ruleset but adapted to Team vs Team combat.

How long have you been playing TGMC and other servers in general:

I started space station 13 in 2017, joined TGMC back when it was DMCA, and haven't left since.

Have you been banned from any SS13 servers within the past 6 months? If so, what server, and for what reason: No, but I've gotten a head-ban for a week because I suicided as a captain.

Have you ever received a permanent ban from a server? If so, what server, and for what reason: Never.

Why do you believe that you would make a good admin?

I tend to have a lot of free time, and I wanna see the server up more often. Part of the reason I think we suffer from lowpop is a non-consistent schedule. I also generally want to see the server thrive. I left CM a while back because the people weren't nice, and I'd hate to see the same happen to TGMC.

What's one aspect of how you play the game that you think you could improve on?

I still tend to have an OOC in IC problem from my Hippiestation days. Its a difficult habit for me to shake.

What standards do you personally hold players to? How should judgements on their actions be determined?

This is a game at the end of the day. Players are allowed to have their fun, and those who make efforts to improve other people's enjoyment should be judged less harshly than those who intentionally go out of their way to make it miserable for everyone.

What is a good metric or standard to go by when doing admin events? What would you try to consider when doing an admin event? How often do you think you'd run admin events?

A good admin event lets everyone get involved. This means even if you're doing a HvH event, you might want to throw in a few corrupted xenos so the xeno players can still join in on the fun on their chosen side.

What do you think you'll find most enjoyable about being an admin? What do you think you'll find least enjoyable?

Most enjoyable? Making sure the server is up and people are having a good time. Least enjoyable? Actually getting that to go smoothly.

No one admins forever. For what reason or how do you think you will stop adminning? Do you think you'll be able to call it quits when you've had enough?

Work reasons, exhaustion, not enough free time, or just not enjoying it anymore are all reasons I'd drop off. I wouldn't hesitate to call it quits if things became too much for me.

Please fill out the following example scenarios, put your answer on a separate line from the question:

Spoiler:
1. A player shoots another player near the start of the round, but the MPs have already detained and brigged him.

If something like that has happened that early in the round, I'd suspect foul play. Regardless of that, talking to everyone involved first would be a good idea before reaching a decision. At the very least a note should be applied for future administrators to see in case repeat behavior comes up.

2. You see a player walking around the ship without any clothes on, looking pretty lost.

Might want to point the mentors toward the situation. I'm not about to have my throat torn open by mhelp thirsty mentors.

3. A player is getting aggressive in adminhelps and requesting to speak to a higher ranking staff member.

Remind them that being aggressive in ahelps is a good way to not get what you want. Descalate the situation if possible and if not possible,

4. You notice a player with a name that doesn't fit our naming rules. The player is arguing that they've used the name for several years across multiple servers and no one has told them to change it before.

Just because its OK somewhere else, doesn't mean its OK here. Give them a minute to think of a new name and if they refuse, rename them yourself and add a note with the previous name for other admins with a warning not to use it again.

5. You see an MT running around in armor and carrying a rifle. The security level is green with no threat present.

Unless anyone complains, don't tread on the situation unless they begin fortifying. Remind them that this is a MRP server and ask them to keep it put away unless they can provide a good reason as to why.

6. The round is stagnating. There are 14 marines and 4 aliens (balance will change over time, just imagine a stalemate scenario according to the current meta). The marines won't leave the ship, and the aliens won't attack. What would you do, to "encourage" the sides to engage each other?

Allow it until the all the hosts have hatched and larva have evolved, and then send a Queen Mother's message to go for the ship. If they refuse to budge, give them a hard timer, I'd give 4 minutes, to get on the ship and depart. If they still refuse to budge, warn them that they're continued lingering has attracted unwanted attention, and spawn in a weak corrupted xeno caste (depending on whatever is weakest in the current meta), and offer it to a ghost while filling in dchat on the goal. If they finally leave after that, ask the corrupted xeno if they'd like to continue to run around alone with nothing to do or if they'd like to ghost again for a chance of a future ert.

7. A marine is running around disarming other marines and stealing their gear near the beginning of the round.

Message them that this is a MRP server, and this behavior isn't tolerated. Also drop a heavy implication that they should return what they've stolen and apologize.

8. A marine has killed another marine. When you ask him why, he said it was because the other marine had punched him or said something rude towards him.

Direct the marine to the escalation rules and make sure they understand what they did wrong. Also poke the offending party to not be a dick in the future ala rule 1 if the logs add up to it.

9. There are minor racist comments going on IC. 9 of the 10 people are laughing and roleplaying but one player gets offended and adminhelps about it.

Tell the player to knock it off or direct the comedic focus to something else. The rules don't allow it, and even if they did, sometimes its necessary for minor changes to be made so everyone can have a good time together.

10. A marine opens fire at several marines during briefing killing multiple people and logs off before you can message him.

This is a ban from me. Add a link to the forums where they can appeal it and let them know if they want to discuss it there they can, otherwise they should have stayed logged on.

11. You see a larva die near the frontlines. Upon further investigation, you see that they bursted in a safe place far away.

If they have any messages telling the hive that they were gonna try to sneak onto the ship and the queen gave them the ok, let it slide. If the hive told them no, note them with a warning not to do it again. If they did it wordlessly, xenoban them with a link to appeals.

12. You see a xeno excessively saying phrases like "Ayyylmao", "Reeeee" and similar in the hivemind chat.

If no one is upset about it I really wouldn't step in.

13. A command staff player mentions during briefing that there might be xenos on the planet.

There isn't an issue here.

14. A marine kills another marine on the Evac Pod to take the last spot, but has roleplayed the situation quite well.

Allow it unless the dead player complains. Also keep a record of the logs in case anyone else has different ideas to let them make an informed decision.

15. You see an SSD Squad Leader in the preparation room 1 hour into the round. When you check the logs, you notice he logged off near the beginning of the round.

Cryo them, inform the ships crew, and stick a note on them. Leave a link to where they can apply the note too, people's connections can cut it, sometimes we emergencies, it happens.

16. You see a member of the staff give wrong information in an adminhelp.

Poke them in staff chat with the correct information.

17. You see a member of the staff abusing his powers in-game or otherwise breaking the administrator rules.

First and foremost, get a recording rolling. Second, try to talk to them in staffchat. Third, if the behavior persists, ping a higher up on discord and include the evidence. Fourth and lastly, once the situation is resolved, make sure to right players affected by the nonsense.

18. You see a player bashing another server or player in OOC.

Politely tell them to knock that off. I don't want to see the server becoming a hostile environment. Unless of course, its a few jesting jabs and both parties seem to be enjoying it. No need to be a buzzkill.

19. A player ahelps saying that they were instantly killed by another member of their squad. When you ask their squad member who shot them, they said that it was accidental friendly fire.

As a xeno player I often INTEND to cause as much FF as possible. I would be shocked if it wasn't accidental. First things first would be to check the player logs for both parties to find any evidence of existing hostilities between the players.

Any additional information you want to provide: hivelord ass
Kirby Lore Expert, Incompetent shitposter, and drawfag. I play as Amber Aggly.

drawsstuff
TGMC Administrator

Re: [Drawsstuff] - Administrator Application

Postby drawsstuff » Mon May 06, 2019 9:02 pm #492394

The player demands to know which rule he is breaking, what do you tell him?

I'd personally say its a mix of 2 and 5, but here, I'll just admit my mistake and let them off the hook if there's no one to ask for advice about it in staff chat. I'm primarily a xeno main so these situations confuse me a little, but as long as there's other staff members to ask for input, I'd take their advice on the manner.

What if it's a new player? Would you do anything differently?

Probably a short talking to, a link to the rules, a run down on how to use M-Help feature, and maybe a note depending on how they handled the whole thing.

Would you be willing to enforce the MRP rule even if noone complained?

If it stayed at a minimum, I wouldn't take action, but the moment more people got into it I'd probably knock it down a peg with an announcement before it got out of hand.

The dead party ahelps about it, but you check the logs and it seemed like both of them enjoyed it, the roleplay was good, deadchat liked it, the player is just having regrets after the fact. What do you do here?

I'd inform them I don't plan on taking action and link them to my admin complaints forum for them to take any action.

Rohesie
TGMC Lead

Byond Username: Rohesie

Postby Rohesie » Thu May 16, 2019 9:28 am #493818

drawsstuff wrote:3. A player is getting aggressive in adminhelps and requesting to speak to a higher ranking staff member.

Remind them that being aggressive in ahelps is a good way to not get what you want. Descalate the situation if possible and if not possible,

This answer looks cut in the middle. How would you proceed if it's not possible to de-escalate it?

drawsstuff
TGMC Administrator

Postby drawsstuff » Thu May 30, 2019 10:33 pm #496135

Because of some major issues I'm having with byond and the oncoming summer work load, I'm gonna to ask to withdraw the appeal until these things pass. Hope you don't mind, and I'll still be able to lend my services as a mentor until then!

drawsstuff
TGMC Administrator

Postby drawsstuff » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:46 pm #513106

Could you quote the specific wording you feel like it breaks?

Essential roles such as Captain, Field Commander, Synth, AI, Xenomorph Queen and Heads of Staff require a certain degree of knowledge of the game mechanics and are held to higher standards than the other roles

Marines are not allowed to remove or weld the ship’s piping before there is a credible threat of hostile xenos on board. This is mostly for balance purposes.

All Command, military policeand leadership roles require active commitment to the success of the mission, closely following the chain of command.

I'm mostly a xeno player, and some of the roles marines play are clouded to me. But an MP walking around actively instead of taking reports from higher ups to arrest offenders as necessary is probably looking for trouble. CM has (or had) a small crisis where MPs would patrol looking for minor infractions to brig/bully over. Again, I would let it pass until someone complains, in which case it's actively ruining someone else's experience and needs to be addressed.

This answer looks cut in the middle. How would you proceed if it's not possible to de-escalate it?

If it's not possible to deescalate the situation a 24 hour ban and a small note should be applied. This of course assumes the player is actively berating/abusing/etc instead of looking for a solution to their problem. If the problem is urgent enough (Like a griefer on the loose, and the complaining player seems to have lost their chill) it's important to resolve the situation afterwords. Communication with other staff members on what to do isn't a bad option either.

drawsstuff
TGMC Administrator

Postby drawsstuff » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:18 pm #513128

LaKiller8 wrote: The question is asking about an MT, a maintenance technician.

Oh.

Goes to show how much I know about marine acronyms. I even recognized in my original post. There shouldn't be an issue at all then unless they begin to fortify areas, because there's no "credible threat of hostile xenos on board." Honestly might not be a bad idea to push for a code solution to forbid building barricades and the like on the ship until a clause activates.

drawsstuff
TGMC Administrator

Postby drawsstuff » Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:35 pm #513248

LaKiller8 wrote:
Drawsstuff wrote:Goes to show how much I know about marine acronyms. I even recognized in my original post. There shouldn't be an issue at all then unless they begin to fortify areas, because there's no "credible threat of hostile xenos on board." Honestly might not be a bad idea to push for a code solution to forbid building barricades and the like on the ship until a clause activates.

They are 100% free to fortify the ship in the way that it doesn't break any meta rules. It would only become an issue if they are using excessive resources for themselves to the detriment of the mission.
The exception you were thinking about applies to vents only.

Thank you for clarifying.

Merryweather
TGMC Lead

Byond Username: Merryweather

Postby Merryweather » Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:32 am #515639

The administrators and leads of the TGMC have come to a decision, and you have PASSED your application.

Please be patient as we sort out your roles and set you up, and you will be briefed once you are placed in.
Head Administrator and a Lead of TGMC.
A part (HAPPY ORANGES) of one of the best SS13 servers out there, ish.

OOC: Rohesie: The oligarchy shall never fall.

Feedback: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=22045

Toolboxing for a Cause: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=24022

Return to TGMC Closed Applications