Make netspeakers valid

Ask and discuss policy about game conduct and rules.

Moderator: In-Game Head Admins

Malkraz

Byond Username: Malkraz

Make netspeakers valid

Postby Malkraz » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:29 am #498243

In light of the onset of ssethtide and complete ignorance of the netspeak rule and warnings regarding it (viewtopic.php?f=7&t=22931), it's time to mark anybody who uses netspeak as a target to get the shit kicked out of them for some tangible, easy to understand punishment.
Franklin Khan says, " Well I know who I'm metagrudging from now on "
Istoprocent: You and Rock Steele definitely metabuddies, proving metacomms will take time but eventually people will figure it out.
Declan Cooper asks, " does rock steel have autism? "
Erik489: Malkraz, I gotta ask, and please be honest. Do you metacomm with Rock Steel?
Lumbermancer: also rock should be killed every round
Willy Willee says, " And he kept spam-tabling me, while his metafriend came over "
ATHATH: Rock Steel, I fucking hate you with a passion. I was alive on the station for less than a minute, you absolute cunt you CREMATING ASSHOLE I GENUINELY *HATE* YOU
Adam Karlsson says, " i just want rock " Shaun McFall says, " you know you'll get harshly punished for this right " Adam Karlsson says, " oh i know "
Aidan Duncan says, " Once again, Rock Steel is the fucking worst person on the station "
Twaticus: malk i hate you why do you ruin everything
Alijah Petrov says, " Actually then, im just gonna start robusting rock steel every time i see him "
Adolph Weinstein says, " I like how we have a wizard onboard, and the only person causing shit is Rock "
[Common] Most Likely Malfunction states, " BORG RETURN TO THE CLONEER AND ISPOSE OF ROCK STEELS BODY. "

wesoda25

Byond Username: Wesoda25

Re: Make netspeakers valid

Postby wesoda25 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:03 am #498249

New players are honestly funny as shit and I don’t wanna see them being punished for being stupid. I love arresting people and they just shout “WTF??!!”

Gigapuddi420
In-Game Admin

Byond Username: Gigapuddi420

Postby Gigapuddi420 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:20 am #498253

I have to agree with wesoda. I mean it would be interesting to see people get lynched for smiley faces in chat but most of these people just need to have it explained to them that it isn't appropriate.
Imperfect catgirl playing a imperfect game.

Farquaar

Byond Username: Farquaar

Postby Farquaar » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:23 am #498254

Comparing this to speaking mimes being valid-

Speaking Mimes
- Immersion-breaking, but also powergamey

Netspeaking Noobs
- Immersion-breaking, but neutral, if not detrimental to your success in the game

I think notes and bans should suffice, to be honest. Note them the first time they netspeak. That way, the next admin will see that they know better and feel less guilty about applying a short ban.

Gigapuddi420
In-Game Admin

Byond Username: Gigapuddi420

Postby Gigapuddi420 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:28 am #498257

Farquaar wrote:I think notes and bans should suffice, to be honest. Note them the first time they netspeak. That way, the next admin will see that they know better and feel less guilty about applying a short ban.

That's typically how it goes. Note then a 15 minute ban with increasing lengths each time. That said if the breach is bad enough it's not unusual to go straight to those short bans to send the message home. Crackdowns can occur when people aren't getting the message but those come with big warnings to remind people of the rules regarding netspeak and emoticons in chat.
Imperfect catgirl playing a imperfect game.

Malkraz

Byond Username: Malkraz

Postby Malkraz » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:28 am #498258

I agree it's funny as hell but so is beating them up for it
I like to tell them "use netspeak again and I'll kick your ass" and it usually works
Franklin Khan says, " Well I know who I'm metagrudging from now on "
Istoprocent: You and Rock Steele definitely metabuddies, proving metacomms will take time but eventually people will figure it out.
Declan Cooper asks, " does rock steel have autism? "
Erik489: Malkraz, I gotta ask, and please be honest. Do you metacomm with Rock Steel?
Lumbermancer: also rock should be killed every round
Willy Willee says, " And he kept spam-tabling me, while his metafriend came over "
ATHATH: Rock Steel, I fucking hate you with a passion. I was alive on the station for less than a minute, you absolute cunt you CREMATING ASSHOLE I GENUINELY *HATE* YOU
Adam Karlsson says, " i just want rock " Shaun McFall says, " you know you'll get harshly punished for this right " Adam Karlsson says, " oh i know "
Aidan Duncan says, " Once again, Rock Steel is the fucking worst person on the station "
Twaticus: malk i hate you why do you ruin everything
Alijah Petrov says, " Actually then, im just gonna start robusting rock steel every time i see him "
Adolph Weinstein says, " I like how we have a wizard onboard, and the only person causing shit is Rock "
[Common] Most Likely Malfunction states, " BORG RETURN TO THE CLONEER AND ISPOSE OF ROCK STEELS BODY. "

PKPenguin321
In-Game Game Master

Byond Username: PKPenguin321

Postby PKPenguin321 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:46 am #498271

they kind of defacto already are, if you rough em up a little for talking like a retard nobody will mind
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:

Rustledjimm
In-Game Game Master

Byond Username: Rustledjimm

Postby Rustledjimm » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:50 am #498276

The issue with this is when people start using netspeak to get into fights and kill people ala what happened with Ian.
So uhh, I'm an admin. Please leave feedback!

Will Baker
Suzu Suzaku
TBC
Spoiler:

Personal Ban Length Record: 2.1024e+006 minutes

PKPenguin321
In-Game Game Master

Byond Username: PKPenguin321

Postby PKPenguin321 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:42 am #498280

Rustledjimm wrote:The issue with this is when people start using netspeak to get into fights and kill people ala what happened with Ian.

ban them then
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:

Screemonster

Byond Username: Scree

Postby Screemonster » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:58 am #498290

netspeak gets you banned
antags can do whatever they want
therefore anyone who uses netspeak is acting like an antag :honk: