(David Stormwell) Administrator Application

Moderators: In-Game Admin, In-Game Head Admins, Game Server Operators, TGMC Game Server Operators, TGMC Administrator, TGMC Lead

David Stormwell
TGMC Administrator

Byond Username: David Stormwell

(David Stormwell) Administrator Application

Postby David Stormwell » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:35 pm #506478

[David Stormwell] - Administrator Application

Current ckey and any previous ckeys:David Stormwell

Character name(s): Marine: "David 'Snake' Stormwell", Snyth: "Adam", Xeno: "Slithers"

Timezone: MST- Mountain standard time

Discord tag: David Stormwell

Any previous experience administrating? Where and in what manner: No I have not, at least not in this manner, this will be my first time trying this out.

How familiar are you with our ruleset? Quite familiar, I have gone over it over the past few months once in a while.

How long have you been playing TGMC and other servers in general? I started around June last year with CM, then in March I believe I started TGMC.

Have you been banned from any SS13 servers within the past 6 months? If so, what server, and for what reason? I have never been banned

Have you ever recieved a permanent ban from a server? If so, what server, and for what reason? Refer to above

Why do you believe that you would make a good admin?I myself like being apart of the playerbase, settling down arguments, and referring to rules or otherwise when seeing a incorrect way of behavior.

What's one aspect of how you play the game that you think you could improve on? Prehaps I myself am a little toxic when referring to admins, I try to make it obvious its all a joke, although some may perceive it as being aggressive towards the admins.

What standards do you personally hold players to? How should judgements on their actions be determined? Upon the preset rules; If a person is subtlety griefing Marines then I would note them, if they where outright shooting teammates and hindering the Marine operation intentionally then they would get a higher punishment. A small incident will get a small note, a large incident might land a larger note or a ban.

What is a good metric or standard to go by when doing admin events? What would you try to consider when doing an admin event? How often do you think you'd run admin events? I would do subtle events, not to change balance much in the fight, as seeing bad one-sided events can ruin a persons opinion of the staff, And any larger events will be decided via a vote. Other then that I would do a admin event when the playerbase is asking for one, and or when something new has been shipped to us by the developers.

What do you think you'll find most enjoyable about being an admin? What do you think you'll find least enjoyable? Prehaps when banning a person, for it doesn't feel good when exiling a person for doing something against the rules, even if they had been a griefer. And also seeing players insult each other, to the point of one side prehaps going away because of said toxicity.

No one admins forever. For what reason or how do you think you will stop adminning? Do you think you'll be able to call it quits when you've had enough? Prehaps if I myself am to busy in life working or health problems, I would let everyone know ahead of time if possible.

Please fill out the following example scenarios, put your answer on a separate line from the question:
Spoiler:
1. A player shoots another player near the start of the round, but the MPs have already detained and brigged him. If no one was killed and the MPs have it handled, It would become a IC issue, however, if someone where to A-help about the problem then I would have to do a investigation into the matter and find out why he did so, and depending on that judgement would be passed, be it a warnings and a note, or otherwise.

2. You see a player walking around the ship without any clothes on, looking pretty lost. I would ask in M-Say if any mentors are available, if so I would hand it down to them, if not, then I would ask if they needed any help, prehaps teach them IC if I can.

3. A player is getting aggressive in adminhelps and requesting to speak to a higher ranking staff member. I would try my best to defuse the problem, if stubborn and not complainant I would have to alert a higher staff member to the problem.

4. You notice a player with a name that doesn't fit our naming rules. The player is arguing that they've used the name for several years across multiple servers and no one has told them to change it before. I would have to politely explain that "Rule 3" does not allow such a name, and I would request them to change the name in order with the Rule, Also ask them if they would like a name change, if I can't myself then I would ask another higher ranked staff member if they might be able to instead.

5. You see an MT running around in armor and carrying a rifle. The security level is green with no threat present. As it is not against the rules to carry a gun, I would not PM them unless they where griefing or not doing their respective job, but if they where stocking up then it might fall under meta-gaming as they are not a combat role, if they had permission from the acting captain as well, they could secure the FOB, but if they are actively going out of the FOB and seeking combat then I would have to PM them about Rule 5.

6. The round is stagnating. There are 14 marines and 4 aliens (balance will change over time, just imagine a stalemate scenario according to the current meta). The marines won't leave the ship, and the aliens won't attack. What would you do, to "encourage" the sides to engage each other? At first I would send out a ARES scan and Queen mother scan respectively, prehaps SM the marine captain that he may be able to call for reinforcements via the distress beacon, or send a announcement via each respective command to arm up and push to destroy Those Bugs/Tall Hosts.

7. A marine is running around disarming other marines and stealing their gear near the beginning of the round. Unless a person A-helps it will remain a IC issue, or unless the person is stealing items that are needed such as metal or spec guns and hiding them, then I would have to PM them to return the items.

8. A marine has killed another marine. When you ask him why, he said it was because the other marine had punched him or said something rude towards him. That would fall under the Escalation rule, as he did not follow it and broke them via shooting with the intent to kill and as such he would be noted, the other marine revived if he wasn't already treated by medical staff.

9. There are minor racist comments going on IC. 9 of the 10 people are laughing and roleplaying but one player gets offended and adminhelps about it. If a person is getting offended by a comment, then I would remind the server about "Rule 1; Don't be a dick" and warn the offender, if he has been a repeat offender then give him a note and a warning.

10. A marine opens fire at several marines during briefing killing multiple people and logs off before you can message him. I would have to ban the offender as he clearly did as he did and wanted to avoid talking about it in PMs, And log the rules they broke, such as "Grey-tiding, escalation and otherwise.
11. You see a larva die near the frontlines. Upon further investigation, you see that they bursted in a safe place far away. I would check if the person has any other notes pertaining to such a thing happening the past, If not then a warning, it also depends on if they planned to suicide, ask them, or otherwise. I can also check if the hivemind told them to stay back, or if the Queen told them as well, If so then I would have to talk to them and note them, if it was a accident warn them and give them a note depending on their attitude.

12. You see a xeno excessively saying phrases like "Ayyylmao", "Reeeee" and similar in the hivemind chat. I would warn them about Rule 1, and how spamming channels can land you a note, and also remind them this is a MRP server.

13. A command staff player mentions during briefing that there might be xenos on the planet. This in itself is not a rule being broken, as TGMC have knowledge of such xenos, however if they are specific and tell the Marines where the hive is and how many xenos there is, this may be a meta-comms incident and would have to be investigated.

14. A marine kills another marine on the Evac Pod to take the last spot, but has roleplayed the situation quite well. If the incident was not A-helped, then it would become a IC problem, as if he escalated well then it should not be a problem, however, if it seems off, then I may investigate it if there is any meta-grudgeing, or if he has been a repeat offender of this incident or any like it.

15. You see an SSD Squad Leader in the preparation room 1 hour into the round. When you check the logs, you notice he logged off near the beginning of the round. I would have to note him down for not cyroing or A-helping when needing to log out as a important role, and cyro him, If he has been repeating this offense, then I would PM him next time he is on about the problem.

16. You see a member of the staff give wrong information in an adminhelp. I would simply message them that that seemed incorrect, and show them the rule if needed about the problem.

17. You see a member of the staff abusing his powers in-game or otherwise breaking the administrator rules. I would take it up to a higher staff member, and report them with logs and screenshots of said incident.

18. You see a player bashing another server or player in OOC. I would remind the player about Rule 1 Don't be a dick, and tell them to knock it off if they progress, if they have notes of this happening before, I would have to note and PM them about the incident.

19. A player ahelps saying that they were instantly killed by another member of their squad. When you ask their squad member who shot them, they said that it was accidental friendly fire. I would take a look into it, check the logs, if they had PBed them with no other targets in sight, then I would PM them. I would have to note them down for it, however if they where in a battle or the FF'ed person was cloaked or otherwise, then just give a warning and let them off.

David Stormwell
TGMC Administrator

Re: (David Stormwell) Administrator Application

Postby David Stormwell » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:57 pm #506482

Hello and thank you for finally applying!

David wrote:1. A player shoots another player near the start of the round, but the MPs have already detained and brigged him. If no one was killed and the MPs have it handled, It would become a IC issue, however, if someone where to A-help about the problem then I would have to do a investigation into the matter and find out why he did so, and depending on that judgement would be passed, be it a warnings and a note, or otherwise.

Could you weigh in on the pros and cons of seeing this as an IC issue versus an OOC one?
If it was handled IC, then prehaps the person might repeat the offense, and might think that that behavior is acceptable, but its not, So if it was handled OOCly, he would get a note, and thus be warned that such a thing is against our rules, and not to repeat the offense.

David wrote:4. You notice a player with a name that doesn't fit our naming rules. The player is arguing that they've used the name for several years across multiple servers and no one has told them to change it before. I would have to politely explain that "Rule 3" does not allow such a name, and I would request them to change the name in order with the Rule, Also ask them if they would like a name change, if I can't myself then I would ask another higher ranked staff member if they might be able to instead.

There are no differences in-game permission-wise between the admin tiers.
Alright, then I'll go ahead and ask him what name he would like it changed to, and change it according to our rules.

David wrote:9. There are minor racist comments going on IC. 9 of the 10 people are laughing and roleplaying but one player gets offended and adminhelps about it. If a person is getting offended by a comment, then I would remind the server about "Rule 1; Don't be a dick" and warn the offender, if he has been a repeat offender then give him a note and a warning.

Would you still do something if no-one ahelped about it?
How comfortable would you be enforcing something that went against your personal beliefs here?

Even if no one A-helps it, Spamming and acting LRP in combination is against the rules, and thus the offender would have to be warned if he kept on doing the action, or if he took it a step further.

David wrote:14. A marine kills another marine on the Evac Pod to take the last spot, but has roleplayed the situation quite well. If the incident was not A-helped, then it would become a IC problem, as if he escalated well then it should not be a problem, however, if it seems off, then I may investigate it if there is any meta-grudgeing, or if he has been a repeat offender of this incident or any like it.

Would your resolution change if the situation was ahelped, but roleplayed REALLY well?
No, infact, if the incindent was A-helped I would PM the offender, and note him down and warn him against doing such a action again, as It would go against Escalation rules, But I would thank him for keeping it with RP, but tell him that Team-Killing is against the rules.

David wrote:15. You see an SSD Squad Leader in the preparation room 1 hour into the round. When you check the logs, you notice he logged off near the beginning of the round. I would have to note him down for not cyroing or A-helping when needing to log out as a important role, and cyro him, If he has been repeating this offense, then I would PM him next time he is on about the problem.

You'll be glad to hear about or tools then. Instead of waiting and risking them missing the note, you could add an admin message which they automatically get next time they log on.
Well then, I would use that and PM him then.

David Stormwell
TGMC Administrator

Postby David Stormwell » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:35 am #506963

David wrote:Could you weigh in on the pros and cons of seeing this as an IC issue versus an OOC one?
If it was handled IC, then prehaps the person might repeat the offense, and might think that that behavior is acceptable, but its not, So if it was handled OOCly, he would get a note, and thus be warned that such a thing is against our rules, and not to repeat the offense.

If you see it this way, why did you treat it like an IC issue in your answer?
Because of the context, the incident could have been on a miss-click, and sometimes for that reason a MP will brig someone, However, if someone was killed, put into crit, if it wasn't a mistake then action would have to be taken, and most of the time I will get alerted via A-help, or simply looking at FF logs. It all depends on the context, mistake? IC, If the person shot with the intent to kill and aiming for the head and PBed? Ban or a heavy note.

David wrote:Would you still do something if no-one ahelped about it?
Even if no one A-helps it, Spamming and acting LRP in combination is against the rules, and thus the offender would have to be warned if he kept on doing the action, or if he took it a step further.

You forgot the answer the second question, no biggie.
How comfortable would you be enforcing something that went against your personal beliefs here?

Not a problem, I'm used to doing such things often, I myself have done memes and such in the past, but as a Admin I can't have such beliefs hinder justice, as we strive to make this a Medium RP server, and so the only way to achieve that is for the player-base to realize we aren't DMCA anymore, and we are slowly growing to that goal.

David wrote:Would your resolution change if the situation was ahelped, but roleplayed REALLY well?
No, infact, if the incindent was A-helped I would PM the offender, and note him down and warn him against doing such a action again, as It would go against Escalation rules, But I would thank him for keeping it with RP, but tell him that Team-Killing is against the rules.

Do you see merit in enforcing the rules based on their context, rather than what is strictly written in them?
Yes indeed, the problem is that if a person thinks thats "Ok" Because he RP'ed it out then then that could be taken advantage of, But, if the person who was killed is chill with it and doesn't A-help then prehaps it should be left as a IC issue, So it depends on the context, A Admin has to make sure the rules are being followed for the enjoyment of the other players, if someone doesn't feel like RPing then they can just shoot some Xenos and be done with it, but if someone wants to RP well, then we should reward that, but if it constantly breaks the rules then it should be noted, So all in all, the first incident should be told to other admins just as yourself/Headmins and listed as a IC issue, he shouldn't be punished for such a action as that would seem we are for the rules and not RP/to the player-base it might seem we are LRP with heavy rule "Badmins".

lmwevil
In-Game Admin

Byond Username: Lmwevil

Postby lmwevil » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:38 am #507160

david stormwell more like mentor scrub LOL

Return to TGMC Closed Applications