[ADMIN] Nitrousoxide

Moderators: In-Game Head Admins, In-Game Admin, TGMC Game Server Operators, Game Server Operators, TGMC Administrator, TGMC Lead

Nitrousoxide

Byond Username: Nitro2985

[ADMIN] Nitrousoxide

Postby Nitrousoxide » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:35 am #507710

Current ckey and any previous ckeys:
Nitro2985

Character name(s):
Server is down and I forget

Timezone:
Eastern

Discord tag:
CyberGlitterhoof#7872

Any previous experience administrating? Where and in what manner:
I've been a mentor but not an admin.

How long have you been playing TGMC and other servers in general:
About 6 months

Have you been banned from any SS13 servers within the past 6 months? If so, what server, and for what reason:
No

Have you ever received a permanent ban from a server? If so, what server, and for what reason:
No

Why do you believe that you would make a good admin?
In general I think I'm a pretty fair person. I take the time to look at the event and understand the whole circumstance before casting judgment.

What's one aspect of how you play the game that you think you could improve on?
I'm not necessarily the quickest to do things in the game, so sometimes I can fumble around a bit.

What standards do you personally hold players to? How should judgements on their actions be determined?
The willingness to listen and learn from behavior is probably the most important thing I consider in people. Folks will screw up, get angry, and whatever, but as long as you're willing to say your sorry and learn from the experience and try to get better that means a lot to me.

What is a good metric or standard to go by when doing admin events? What would you try to consider when doing an admin event? How often do you think you'd run admin events?
Honestly you want a admin event to be fun for everyone. Something I've seen admins screw up is making events that are fun for like 5 people but then everyone else has a really bummer of a round where they can't do anything or are just props for the 5 people who are having fun to play around with.

What do you think you'll find most enjoyable about being an admin? What do you think you'll find least enjoyable?
Probably being able to help ensure the server isn't filled with people trashing everyone's good time. On the other hand, admining can be stressful and having to watch for all those admin helps or handle them instead of playing the game can be annoying. Though you can de-admin yourself you just want to enjoy a round.

No one admins forever. For what reason or how do you think you will stop adminning? Do you think you'll be able to call it quits when you've had enough?
Probably if I get sick of SS13 or need to take a long break.

Please fill out the following example scenarios, put your answer on a separate line from the question:
1. A player shoots another player near the start of the round, but the MPs have already detained and brigged him.
I would check their admin log history to see if they have any history of causing shit. If so, especially if it was for griefing, I would bwoink them and ask them why they started shooting their fellow marines. I would try to corroborate their response to their logs, and if it matches their explanation would let them go. If they lie or have a very poor rational I would leave a note in their log about them and give them a warning. Lying about it would mean I also warn the next admin about their attempt to lie their way out of it.

2. You see a player walking around the ship without any clothes on, looking pretty lost.
I would message the player and point them in the direction of their squad's dressing area and ask if they are new, if so I'd recommend using the mentor help verb if they have any additional questions.

3. A player is getting aggressive in adminhelps and requesting to speak to a higher ranking staff member.
I would let the player know that unfortunately the ruling of the admin who took the case in game is final, but if they disagree with it they should feel free to post in the relevant form and contest it. I would let them know how they can save a log of their current game to their desktop so they can have an easier time referencing back to it as necessary.

4. You notice a player with a name that doesn't fit our naming rules. The player is arguing that they've used the name for several years across multiple servers and no one has told them to change it before.
It depends on the severity of the naming mismatch. If it's something like XxXBonglordXxX69 I would message them and let them know that name doesn't fit with our conventions and offer to change it for them. If it's really obnoxious like that I would also leave a note about it. If it's a less flagrant violation I'd message them about it and remind them of our naming conventions and offer to change it, but wouldn't leave a note.

5. You see an MT running around in armor and carrying a rifle. The security level is green with no threat present.
It depends a bit on the circumstances. If he's staying on the ship and otherwise doing his duty I wouldn't intervene. If he's going places he shouldn't, like attacking the nest. I would give him a quick nudge that he should stay on the ship and do his job there. If he continues to ignore me I would elevate to a full bwoink and remind him of his role and possibly leave a note. If he still continues to ignore it I would give him a temp jobban.

6. The round is stagnating. There are 14 marines and 4 aliens (balance will change over time, just imagine a stalemate scenario according to the current meta). The marines won't leave the ship, and the aliens won't attack. What would you do, to "encourage" the sides to engage each other?
I would start with some in-universe things to get people to move. Making a centcom announcement that a donut ship is on its way to dock with them if they complete the mission in a timely fashion, messaging the queen about a big stockpile of monkeys they sense in the ship that are too good to pass up, that sort of thing. If things continue to stagnant I would get progressively more forceful on why they need to move, ultimately leading up to doing something to one of the factions to force them to move (incoming meteor, mercs charged with taking over the ship/clear the nest, etc)

7. A marine is running around disarming other marines and stealing their gear near the beginning of the round.
I'd admin sleep the marine, check the logs to see if for some reason he does somehow have a legit reason (though unlikely) and if not would aheal the people he killed and talk to him about his behavior. If this is the first time he did it I would leave a stern note in his file, if he's done this before I would probably give him a temp ban. If he's done this even after a previous temp ban I would do a perma ban.

8. A marine has killed another marine. When you ask him why, he said it was because the other marine had punched him or said something rude towards him.
Aheal the other marine (no matter the circumstance this is not cause to kill another marine) and leave a note on the offender in his notes. If he's had a history of doing this I would elevate to a temp ban.

9. There are minor racist comments going on IC. 9 of the 10 people are laughing and roleplaying but one player gets offended and adminhelps about it.
I would shoot a message to the folks saying that ribbing is fine but keep the racism out of it.

10. A marine opens fire at several marines during briefing killing multiple people and logs off before you can message him.
Check the logs. Provided there isn't something crazy like the commander ordering him to shoot the mast and it caused extra damage, Ban him. He can contest the ban on the forms if he disagrees with it, but he gave us no opportunity to talk to him before leaving so there's not much else we can do.

11. You see a larva die near the frontlines. Upon further investigation, you see that they bursted in a safe place far away.
Ask the player if he's new, check his playtime. If he's new remind him that as a larva he should be staying safe until he can evolve. If he's not new leave a note about his behavior and message him about why its not acceptable. If he's got a history of griefing jobban him from alien.

12. You see a xeno excessively saying phrases like "Ayyylmao", "Reeeee" and similar in the hivemind chat.
Message him to ask him to stop.

13. A command staff player mentions during briefing that there might be xenos on the planet.
Unlike other servers TGMarine does allow the marines to know about the aliens, so this is fine.

14. A marine kills another marine on the Evac Pod to take the last spot, but has roleplayed the situation quite well.
Given that the pod just causes you to get ghosted anyway, the effect of this is really minor. However we generally don't want to encourage people to find edge cases where they can kill other marines since this is a team game. I'd message him to remind him that this is more a team game first and that you should roleplay as you feel comfortable but ultimately should avoid killing your fellow marines.

15. You see an SSD Squad Leader in the preparation room 1 hour into the round. When you check the logs, you notice he logged off near the beginning of the round.
Offer his body to ghosts. If he's got a history of SSD'ing in his notes I would temp jobban him from the squad leader with a note in the ban describing the reason so he can see why next time he logs in.

16. You see a member of the staff give wrong information in an adminhelp.
Just asay or message them directly. No need to really call them out to the other admins. After I correct them let them correct their own adminhelp. Don't intervene in it.

17. You see a member of the staff abusing his powers in-game or otherwise breaking the administrator rules.
Record the evidence and notify the higher ups about it.

18. You see a player bashing another server or player in OOC.
Privately message the player about the harassment if it's pretty severe with the other server (complaining about another server mildly is probably okay) if shittalking other players though should get them a message. If they don't stop ooc mute them. If they've caused a big ooc shitfest to start globally ooc mute everyone for a few minutes and say that's enough of that talk.

19. A player ahelps saying that they were instantly killed by another member of their squad. When you ask their squad member who shot them, they said that it was accidental friendly fire.
Since this is a he said she said situation look at the logs to see if that clears it up. Also talk to their other squad members to see if they have context or saw it as well to give their side of the event. Things that might not have shown up in the log, like seeing or hearing aliens, could be reasons why they fired in that direction. If the killing was legit then I would let the dead player unfortunate friendly fire, if it's not a legit killing then I would give the killer a warning/note/ban depending on their admin log history.

Nitrousoxide

Re: [ADMIN] Nitrousoxide

Postby Nitrousoxide » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:25 pm #507817

LaKiller8 wrote:Hello, thank you for showing interest and applying!

Nitrousoxide wrote:How long have you been playing TGMC and other servers in general:
About 6 months

Your forum account is almost 5 years old, you sure it's just 6 months? :p

TGMC is about 6 months. SS13 in general I started playing mid 2011, so about 8 years. (oh my god nearly a decade...)

LaKiller8 wrote:
Nitrousoxide wrote:It depends on the severity of the naming mismatch. If it's something like XxXBonglordXxX69 I would message them and let them know that name doesn't fit with our conventions and offer to change it for them. If it's really obnoxious like that I would also leave a note about it. If it's a less flagrant violation I'd message them about it and remind them of our naming conventions and offer to change it, but wouldn't leave a note.

Let's say you don't note them in the last example, you then have to leave but they have their same, inappropriate name next round. Another admin notices and does the same. Do you see the potential issues with this cycle?

I could see the issue. I suppose then it would be better to leave a note, but also detail in the note that the name they used was not too severly outlandish, or just state the name they used, so the next admin to encounter it can have a fuller picture of the past. The worry I had was cluttering up the players notes with really minor issues, but I suppose a collection of really minor issues over time can add up to a major one.

LaKiller8 wrote:
Nitrousoxide wrote:Given that the pod just causes you to get ghosted anyway, the effect of this is really minor. However we generally don't want to encourage people to find edge cases where they can kill other marines since this is a team game. I'd message him to remind him that this is more a team game first and that you should roleplay as you feel comfortable but ultimately should avoid killing your fellow marines.

Would you bwoink them even if noone ahelped about the scenario?

If I noticed it, for instance if there was ghost chat about but no one had ahelped it, I would probably still message them about it. I'd let them know they're not really in trouble, but to avoid killing their teammates because, like I said in earlier response, TGmarine is primarily a team game first.

Nitrousoxide

Postby Nitrousoxide » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:50 pm #507828

LaKiller8 wrote:
Nitrousoxide wrote:If I noticed it, for instance if there was ghost chat about but no one had ahelped it, I would probably still message them about it. I'd let them know they're not really in trouble, but to avoid killing their teammates because, like I said in earlier response, TGmarine is primarily a team game first.

Would consider their actions against the rules?

I would not consider it against the rules.

grinkgo
TGMC Lead

Byond Username: Grinkgo

Postby grinkgo » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:13 am #507956

Hello and thank you for applying!

Nitrousoxide wrote:12. You see a xeno excessively saying phrases like "Ayyylmao", "Reeeee" and similar in the hivemind chat.

The player asks you which rule they have broken. How would you respond?

Nitrousoxide

Postby Nitrousoxide » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:57 am #507958

grinkgo wrote:Hello and thank you for applying!

Nitrousoxide wrote:12. You see a xeno excessively saying phrases like "Ayyylmao", "Reeeee" and similar in the hivemind chat.

The player asks you which rule they have broken. How would you respond?

Rule 3. This is a medium roleplay server. We aren't very heavy handed and ensure people a really heavily roleplaying their experiences with these aliens, and doing tons of emotes. But we also don't want players just memeing with real-world memes that have no relation to the setting.

psykzz
TGMC Administrator

Byond Username: Psykzz
Github Username: psykzz

Postby psykzz » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:47 am #508074

Would you do anything in the following situations.

1. For the last 10 rounds marines have been winning. A new round has just started.

2. A terrible coder has test merged a horrible feature hated by the community, its breaking things for about 2/100 players. The coder is not around.

3. A marine, that takes the game seriously, ahelps because he believes another marine, who is more laid back, is fucking about, their ahelp is pretty aggressive to the other player.

Rohesie
TGMC Lead

Byond Username: Rohesie

Postby Rohesie » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:37 am #508168

Nitrousoxide wrote:7. A marine is running around disarming other marines and stealing their gear near the beginning of the round.
I'd admin sleep the marine, check the logs to see if for some reason he does somehow have a legit reason (though unlikely) and if not would aheal the people he killed and talk to him about his behavior. If this is the first time he did it I would leave a stern note in his file, if he's done this before I would probably give him a temp ban. If he's done this even after a previous temp ban I would do a perma ban.

This question does not state the marine killed people. Could you re-check it?

Nitrousoxide

Postby Nitrousoxide » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:59 pm #508839

Apologies for the delay, things have been crazy at work the past couple of days.

psykzz wrote:Would you do anything in the following situations.
1. For the last 10 rounds marines have been winning. A new round has just started.

1: I suppose it depends a bit on the state of the game. If the current build favors one side strongly, I would confer with the other admins on (if there are any) to see if we can perhaps do a small scale admin event round to break things up for the players and give them something to switch things up. If I'm the only one on, I would delay the round start to run a poll with the players to see if they would prefer an admin event round instead of the regular round. Either way I'd note the win streak and alert the coders about any unbalanced things I've noticed. The event would probably likely focus on adding a wrinkle for the existing game mode, so as to not overwhelm me with trying to run a full scale event, something like giving the side that’s been winning additional objectives that complicate their attempts to win, but otherwise keeping the overall objective the same, or having reinforcements come in for the marines 1 or 2 times.

2. A terrible coder has test merged a horrible feature hated by the community, its breaking things for about 2/100 players. The coder is not around.

2:
I believe admins can roll back test merges right? Depending on how far it is in the current round I would either wait until it finishes, or restart the round with the merge unpushed

3. A marine, that takes the game seriously, ahelps because he believes another marine, who is more laid back, is fucking about, their ahelp is pretty aggressive to the other player.

3:
Provided both players are otherwise following the rules (again this is a medium roleplay server, so the other player not roleplaying enough, or not being great at the mechanics are not reasons for admins to get involved) I would tell the marine that ahelped that its an in-round issue. If he starts bullying the laid back player I would intervene and tell him that is against the rules.

Rohesie wrote:This question does not state the marine killed people. Could you re-check it?

Apologies on that.
7. A marine is running around disarming other marines and stealing their gear near the beginning of the round.

It depends a bit. Minor brawls and such do not necessarily require an admin to bwoink someone without another player ahelping first. Provided he’s only taking stuff that can be replaced from the vendors it should be an IC issue. However if he continues to engage in the behavior after the round start, a player a-helps, or he takes things that are class specific, such as launchers, then I would get involved. I would leave a note on them either way, as if he engages in this behavior frequently then it is likely worth getting involved and will help to establish a general trend of griefing by the player.

Nitrousoxide

Postby Nitrousoxide » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:51 pm #508848

LaKiller8 wrote:
Nitrousoxide wrote:2:
I believe admins can roll back test merges right? Depending on how far it is in the current round I would either wait until it finishes, or restart the round with the merge unpushed

Only those with TGS access can touch the server besides shutting it down, which is currently the leads and MSO.

Ah, well in that case I would use the admin channel in discord to note that things are breaking, and request someone jump on to roll things back when possible. In the meantime I would attempt to alieviate the issues as much as I can for the playerbase with the permissions I have. So if the merge say, broke vendors I would produce some lockers filled with the gear the marines need, or if the dropships are broken, put a ladder down to the drop zones.

Return to TGMC Closed Applications