[Deleted] Virtual John - Assuming Direct Control

Resolved.

Moderator: Board Moderators

Virtual John
In-Game Admin

Byond Username: Virtual John

Virtual John - Assuming Direct Control

Postby Virtual John » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:55 pm #510152

Hey hey friendos, its John. Some of you know who I am and what I stand for and that's good. For the rest of you however, this page will be a little cheat sheet on why I wish to assume direct control of the head admin caste and why thats a good thing.

Med-RP Server
The most memorable rounds are different for each person. Someone find great pleasure in manufacturing death virus that are highly contagious and kill everyone including the virologist in little under 10 minutes. Some enjoy hunting monsters and remember the very first mega-fauna they killed. Others like myself enjoy story, and find thrill in creating and experiencing AR PEE elements, such as an Inspector coming aboard and the Captain busting ass to make sure the Inspector doesn't run into the masked killer, as he very much would not like to be executed back at NT.

What I'm trying to get at is that different people have different play styles, and this means sometimes that one singular server might not have every flavor of ice-cream that you want. Before Sseth made his infamous video, we had Terry/Jerry, Bagil, Sybil and the TGMC server. Since then, we have two event halls and Sybil two. I suggest we take one server initially and use it as our med-rp server. Despite what Sybil and Bagil would like to believe, they are both more like each other than they would like to admit in term of both size and RP. I am not saying they are the same server, but they share a lot of similarities now.

This Med-RP server is not going to have its rules changed, nor will its antag chances be modified. Instead, it'll just get a Med-Rp tag in its server name. If you like slower and more longer rounds, thats your ticket. If players go there to start shit or grief, they'll just get banned for it as with any other server.

Gateway

If you know me, you know I love the gateway. I have and continue to use it when possible, but there is a glaring issue with 99 percent of the maps in it. Besides the newly renovated beach map (which is amazing by the way) every single other map is old and outdated. Items that do not appear anywhere else can be located here, and thus powergamers will memorize how to get to where they need to go, get Mjolnir easily because the spiders die from the atmos long before you find them. Even better is with the research map, go to the eastern most room, drill out into space and go south-east. You'll find a hidden room with spells that serve no purpose for that map other than being planted there for epic loot.

I love the gateway, but with all the base maps it has loaded it is nothing but a powergamers dream. To that end, I will be shutting it down until more balanced maps can be made or modified from the current loadout. Admins will continue to be able to load maps as they see fit, but the gateway will no longer load up naturally for now. I feel like the gateway is a fantastic tool, but in its current state it is a misshapen tool.

Other

I'm sure there is other stuff to talk about.. like escalation, who should be deadminned, buzzwords, and catpeople maybe.

Escalation has always been a tricky thing for admins and players alike to handle, as players get ban-baited and admins have to sift through stories and logs alike to find out who killed Roger Rabbit, and was it valid?
Yes. Yes it was. But I am seeing more and more for escalation policy to dropped altogether and let the station police itself. In all honesty, this sounds like a good idea, as this goes in hand with my desire for more RP elements. If you just go around and kill people all willy nilly round after round though, expect a hard ban. Come on now.

Uh... who to deadmin. Honestly, I feel like this question has no actual merit, as it only serves to stir up drama and see who you might not like. Get that shit outta here.

Buzzwords. Saying shit like retard and nigger are in your right, sure. Just don't go harrassing people. That is dumb, stop it. If you get a tingling sensation in your chest when you hear the nigger word, I'm sorry. You might here it here, you might not, I dunno. The point is that other people can say bad shit, but as with anything you do in life, there will be consequences.

Catpeople. No, we had that compromise. They got to repopulate for a short amount of time, and then they would get neutered and spayed so their numbers wouldn't rise. I feel that enough was generous, but if a poll was to come around say that 9/10 people wished to be a cat... who am I to stop them?

If you have any questions, either ask it in the thread here, or in the thread where everyone else can. Cheers, J

Reeeee

Byond Username: LibbySnow

Re: Virtual John - Assuming Direct Control

Postby Reeeee » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:20 am #510163

Mentions buzzwords like it's a good thing, doesn't understand escalation and wants to remove stuff for no other reason that it's "gamey" in a game.
Actually thinks catpeople are a problem and not a huge fucking joke nobody really cares about in all honesty and then talks about more RP to be added AS IF ALT RACES WERE NOT THE ONLY THING PEOPLE ROLE PLAY ABOUT EVEN ON FUCKING BAGIL THAT'S LITERALLY JUST MURDERBONE SIMULATOR
??????

Why is this a thread?
Fuck at least my headmin thread was literally a joke I convinced Oranges to leave by sweet talking him to do that.

Big fat nope.
signnatrire

wesoda25

Byond Username: Wesoda25

Postby wesoda25 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:25 am #510164

Reeeee wrote:Mentions buzzwords like it's a good thing, doesn't understand escalation and wants to remove stuff for no other reason that it's "gamey" in a game.
Actually thinks catpeople are a problem and not a huge fucking joke nobody really cares about in all honesty and then talks about more RP to be added AS IF ALT RACES WERE NOT THE ONLY THING PEOPLE ROLE PLAY ABOUT EVEN ON FUCKING BAGIL THAT'S LITERALLY JUST MURDERBONE SIMULATOR
??????

Why is this a thread?
Fuck at least my headmin thread was literally a joke I convinced Oranges to leave by sweet talking him to do that.

Big fat nope.

^ example of a bad opinion

Virtual John
In-Game Admin

Postby Virtual John » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:30 am #510167

Reeeee wrote:Mentions buzzwords like it's a good thing, doesn't understand escalation and wants to remove stuff for no other reason that it's "gamey" in a game.
??????

Why is this a thread?

Big fat nope.

I am sorry if I missed it, but I checked for your thread and cannot find it so I dont know if this is troll or not. If it isn't let me know what Oranges like to hear, as thats pretty valuable info.
No one thinks cat people are a threat. We won the war, friend. They cat people are in their camps outside the city. You are safe. Get some help.

oranges
Code Maintainer

Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Postby oranges » Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:18 am #510177

Libby I am going to post approval you if I see more crappy posts like this

Farquaar

Byond Username: Farquaar

Postby Farquaar » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:43 am #510291

Virtual John wrote:Med-RP Server
*snip*

Let me start by saying that I agree with you wholeheartedly on this, and I think it's a great idea. However-
While we don't want to draft up a new ruleset for people to have to keep track, the unfortunate side effect is that the medium-RP distinction is essentially a suggestion. How will you judge whether the medium RP server was successful in living up to its name? How could you enforce its medium-RP status without new rules?

Virtual John
In-Game Admin

Postby Virtual John » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:34 pm #510504

You are completely right in saying that the med-rp tag on the server title is merely a suggestion, and initially may even be overlooked entirely.

My Hope Is that the more RP centric players will migrates ther there when it's established. The Next Step would be to talk with the other head admins at that time and see what can be done for escalation removal. Just like with all the other servers, the server will be responsible for policing itself with whatever comes up. Inevitably, you will get bad actors. Its not a matter of if, but when. If we find that the same player has been killing people multiple rounds because of slight inconveniences, then they will get removed.

This will end up failing not if because escalation get removed, as we could still work around that potentially. I feel it will fail mostly due to this server just turning out like bagil or sybil in terms of its RP.

What do you think?

Farquaar

Byond Username: Farquaar

Postby Farquaar » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:56 pm #510536

I think it's an experiment worth trying, certainly. There's still a significant chance of failure, though tweaks to escalation might mitigate it. The last thing a med-RP server would need is a bunch of powergaming shitters taking advantage of an RP-focused playerbase.

Reeeee

Postby Reeeee » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:17 pm #510754

Virtual John wrote:I am sorry if I missed it, but I checked for your thread and cannot find it so I dont know if this is troll or not. If it isn't let me know what Oranges like to hear, as thats pretty valuable info.
No one thinks cat people are a threat. We won the war, friend. They cat people are in their camps outside the city. You are safe. Get some help.

Seems now I missed you, herp.

Previous headmin election, deleted now, naturally.
Might be stored somehow somewhere.
I appealed to his better side with the fact that I may be retarded but i have a right to try anyway and removed one line joke about "code" that was in conflict with the rules.

See, I was gauging you, see how you respond to issues with "shitpost" written on them. Shit move but as above, I am retarded and caustic.

You replied logically and took out the part that you can discuss so you have now landed on slot 3 on my list on who to vote.
But, you really don't have any stance on... anything?

Game is constantly alive as coders do more stuff and things are changed and all you got is "med-rp".
That's not a issue for me personally. I am a bagil player who has enabled pacifism and constantly get shat on with it and i enjoy the RP i get out of bagil just fine. No need to "*me breahes in".

Only thing you got is gateway and dear god gateway is FUN. I enjoy watching people min-max it and speedrun em since it's a game and end game content is fun. Occasionally i even boop MY nose in as non-pacifist lizard and get my doctor mandated valids and die gloriously in the process. I'm kinda saddened you feel that game is not supposed to have endgame content that rewards skill and talent.
Why is something people enjoy to do so much they bumrush it at earliest convenience to be but on list to be removed?
Nothing there breaks the game and epic loot is always sweet to have and you could min-max it to prevent others from getting it to save people, it's self balancing as can be, loot has no preference on antagging or non-antaggin, just skill.
Broken maps, that i agree, fix em but don't remove them, fix and replace.
If there is even anyone here who will do that for you, unless you yourself will?

You are remove kinda guy, bad, but I appreciate your levelheadedness and willingness to engage even shittest assface and as such get many points towards you in this race.
I kinda got nothing more to ask you about beyond this since you don't present anything further, just bit ranty post about how you might do a thing if someone votes on somehow without clarifying this voting process at all.
signnatrire

Virtual John
In-Game Admin

Postby Virtual John » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:52 pm #510792

The Gateway Maps as they are now are extremely broken. In the space battle map, you are supposed to go round surviving the mobs and make your way to the control deck and open up the shutters so you can get into the cargo hold which is also your exit and loot area.
You don't even have to fucking do that, as the map can now be exploited so that you can welder your way into the loot area instantly. There is a pulse pistol in this area. A fucking PULSE pistol dude. A brain-dead ape could make their way inside there with no effort or skill. That is the sort of thing I'm looking to remove.

I'm all for rewarding skill and effort by the player, but you can't sit there with a straight face and tell me that it requires any sort of skill to get that pulse pistol, one of the more powerful weapons in the game.

As for the *breath thing, you seem to have me confused. I am not advocating that we should start requiring players to emote every single little thing, as I think that is immensely dumb. All I'm saying is that there should MAYBE be a different environment where assistants are round start hoarding their gamer gear.

Reeeee

Postby Reeeee » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:24 pm #510804

Virtual John wrote:The Gateway Maps as they are now are extremely broken.

All I'm saying is that there should MAYBE be a different environment where assistants are round start hoarding their gamer gear.

Some of them are, not all, Beno Reseach seems fine and based. as for the pulse pistol, has never appeared for me on bagel so it's already not in the pool of maps? Fixy, no removies.

I tend to over-write my reactions. Tg is fast paced and best you can hope for is three letter sentence said in passing unless you work in a department together and even them, people know their jobs enough that only discussion that exists is min-maxing said job or sec communication, other SS13 servers offer other experiences. goto.

How about you just ask for one of the servers to be handed to you for testing purposes? we seem to have somewhat of an excess of them imho what with both sybils hanging near deadpop at most times? I don't really keep track of server pops that much.

That's what you want, right?
A testing server to do all kinds of testing in for medRP? Ax headmin, I don't think you need to be one to get all this going.
I'll promote your suggestion to do that or however stuff like this would work and have my full support for it.
It's not breaking codebase if it operates only on different rules and has no separate PRs so coders are gonna go "okay"?
That you demand stuff to be placed on everyone as mandatory changes seems excessive approach to get your pet project started. Although, fracturing of player base and playerbleed both ways really not that great. I'd appreaciate the OOC salt, but not so much people from bagil considering medRP to be a place to grief slow players and medRP considering bagel root of all evil and drama that follows and all the bans.
Bagel and Sybil already have informal contest on who can fling more bad words at each other and Terry is the forgotten stepchild.
Maybe someone like you who has interest in this project could make it work really well and i'm just being alarmist but people are shit on internet.

But if what you really, really want is to tard wrangle EVERYONE on all servers and boss around admins as well, not just your medRP test server that you seem actually invested in, I wish you luck.
signnatrire

Virtual John
In-Game Admin

Postby Virtual John » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:51 pm #510810

Some of them are, not all, Beno Reseach seems fine and based.

Unless you get the alternate version of that same map where if you step outside the air instantly turns the plasma and with the sparking broken that are also outside, you started a raging plasma fire.

as for the pulse pistol, has never appeared for me on bagel so it's already not in the pool of maps? Fixy, no removies

We talking about the space battle map? Its not in the crate area, its in the lower room in the back. And I absolutely do want to fix it, but I tried making Maps. It takes a lot of dedication.

How about you just ask for one of the servers to be handed to you for testing purposes?

This was actually done three years ago. Bagil at the time was handed over by Ausops to a person named "TheLongBowman", and was given the rank of "King of Basil". This was done because Ausops saw how much of an impact he had on Bagil, and essentially gave him headmin rights for it. TLB actually didn't win the headmin election, but placed second in player votes and showed his popularity. I don't know how the server fared under his rule, but I've looked and there seems to be no complaints from players during this time, and he seems to be held in high regard.

History lesson aside, you are right. I don't need to be head admin to make a server run my vision. However, this server is not my only vision and I wish to do more for the server and player base than just make a higher RP element. I'm not alone in this sentiment, but I admin because I enjoy the game and I want to see it do better, both it and the players.

Reeeee

Postby Reeeee » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:25 pm #510820

Plasmamap never lit on fire for me personally tho, so... We are going wildly off topic arguing what map is what and how it works.
Needs work done, sure, but you are not promising to make those changes in the end then, so the point is moot.
Virtual John wrote:However, this server is not my only vision and I wish to do more for the server and player base than just make a higher RP element.

Yes, but you only listed this one medRP thing as your platform now that were are done with gateway maps and rest you are so ambivalent on as not to care to properly make an argument for here or even mention besides mentioning hot topics of 2019.

And I think you have a playerbase for it, but not everyone shares this vision you have, you should be the one guy who directs all of it in the end as headmin, not just the part that likes you enough to vote for you, yes? It's also about how do you fit in as headmin and you arguing "we must have more rp to be better" is not anyone on bageltown seems to share as an opinion. As a separate instance under the umbrella of tg, absolutely, as a blanket statement, hell to the naw.

I cannot find enough here to wholeheartedly support your headmincy and i think your goalposts are not realistic.

If you get this medRP project off the ground and invest in it, i will be looking towards your next Headmin cancidacy thread in season 11 with ready to toss my vote in for you.
Unless, of course, if you win this time.
signnatrire

wet socks

Byond Username: AarontheIdiot

Postby wet socks » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:41 am #511048

Would you be planning on doing anything regarding the recent disliked medical changes? Are there any policy changes in particular that you have planned? Anything regarding escalation in particular?
I am Aaron Browne in video game

feed my back

TheMythicGhost

Byond Username: TheMythicGhost

Postby TheMythicGhost » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:49 pm #511075

wet socks wrote:Would you be planning on doing anything regarding the recent disliked medical changes? Are there any policy changes in particular that you have planned? Anything regarding escalation in particular?

Due to codebase/admin separation (which doesn't actually exist on the forums), he likely won't be able to do much regarding this aside from perhaps talk to Oranges (the current design/code lead).
Remember, anyone promising to change aspects of code in their platform is not really trust worthy.

On topic,
I've had nothing but great interactions with you as Admin, and I definitely believe you can achieve your platform. You've got my vote.
Hi, I play Respii Varenos on Bagil.
everyone when referring to respii wrote:she

deedubya wrote:Posts you don't like aren't illegitimate. Points you don't agree with aren't disproven just because you post a disagreement. Points of view that can negatively affect you(a greyshirt main) aren't automatically negative as a whole.

The sooner you learn things like this, the sooner you can actually participate in fair and open discourse, instead of just screeching like a child when someone wants to take away the toys you use that have been abused constantly.

Kyrah Abattoir

Byond Username: KyrahAbattoir

Postby Kyrah Abattoir » Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:21 pm #512172

Since someone has to ask, might aswel be me.

What is your stance on re-enabling felinids in a more permanent fashion?

What is your stance on the rules about ERP?

Virtual John
In-Game Admin

Postby Virtual John » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:04 pm #512233

Kyrah Abattoir wrote:Since someone has to ask, might aswel be me.

What is your stance on re-enabling felinids in a more permanent fashion?

What is your stance on the rules about ERP?

I'm sure I answered these at some point in time, but its no biggie to say it here as well.

Cat people There will be a vote later on about whether or not we should add them back in. Also hopefully this time the wording and choices wont be skewed. If the community votes and says yes to cat people coming back, sure. I personally dont have any bias towards them, so I won't be pushing hard for their return, but I'm also not gonna try and hinder their return if people want em.

Erp I'll have to say no. TG used to have ERP enabled years back, and I cannot remember a single round back then where the presence of ERP benefited the round or community.

If there is anything else, lemme know. Thanks for the questions.

Return to Archived/Deleted