Department level station goals.

A place to record your ideas for the game.
OFQ
Byond Username: OFQ

Department level station goals.

Post by OFQ » #515370

It is kinda frustrating that pretty much no one cares about station goals (artillery, gene vault..) I think the biggest reason for it is that the goals are too removed from individual players and no one actually getting personified green text for them. I think if we had a set of department level goals and department heads got green/red text for them it would be much better and they are more likely to enforce their accomplishment. So the head roles would be more fulfilling. And it's not that hard to implement. It can be as simple a slight Cargonia bounty system rework. Or something as involved as https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=23548 but with random "escape pods" that can contain antag spawn(for sec goal)/infected survivors(for medbey), aliens and stuff for SCI to grow and dissect (your dynamic department goal can be getting alien queen organs to Central)
I think it will make departments feel like actual organizations of employee instead of everyone doing their thing or dicking around out of boredom. Also it will make rounds feel fresh and nudge people into doing different stuff each time (depending on a goal)

Additionally there can be "best department" stat at the end screen for the department that accomplished the most of goals.
Xeroxemnas
Byond Username: Xeroxemnas

Re: Department level station goals.

Post by Xeroxemnas » #515373

Normal station goals are kind of a pain in the ass since they're super lofty most of the time. (bluespace artillery is fucking huge in terms of space and you need a ton of research for it.) Usually the only people who give a shit about them are the Captain or the CE looking for an autism project. More department-oriented goals would be cool I agree.
Nabski
Byond Username: Nabski
Github Username: Nabski89

Post by Nabski » #515388

I always felt like the issue was that you had to scrape up the money to order them from cargo, and that money could be spent on GUNS or CORGI's instead.

I think a starter kit that would let you get like 90% of the way done, to show cargo that it's worth the credits to finish it off would be nice.
Sandshark808
Byond Username: Sandshark808

Post by Sandshark808 » #515407

Nabski wrote:I always felt like the issue was that you had to scrape up the money to order them from cargo, and that money could be spent on GUNS or CORGI's instead.

I think a starter kit that would let you get like 90% of the way done, to show cargo that it's worth the credits to finish it off would be nice.
The main issue I see is that green shifts are rare, and usually when they happen they're actually more dangerous than traitor shifts. The paranoia that makes the game fun also makes it hard for departments to coordinate, usually due to greytiding by bored employees.
OFQ

Post by OFQ » #515415

Sandshark808 wrote:
Nabski wrote:I always felt like the issue was that you had to scrape up the money to order them from cargo, and that money could be spent on GUNS or CORGI's instead.

The main issue I see is that green shifts are rare, and usually when they happen they're actually more dangerous than traitor shifts. The paranoia that makes the game fun also makes it hard for departments to coordinate, usually due to greytiding by bored employees.
Given that department based objectives will be smaller and more localized they can occur and have reasonable chance to get completed at any mode (probably except nuke ops)
Reyn
Byond Username: ReynTime13

Post by Reyn » #515588

This... seems like a good idea. However there is always the risk of the departments starting an impromptu nations round over being given "Employees of the month" or something. Just... As much as healthy competition or department objectives might work, there's always the risk that some fucking moron might take it too seriously.
I play Trevor Fea on Bagil, And Giorno Giovanna on terry. Yes, I'm THAT raging asshole. Sorry for being such a cunt.
Have I told you how much I hate engineering, by the way?
Calomel
Byond Username: Ryumeme

Post by Calomel » #515658

Hoenstly? Those department goals already exist. They are called Bounties. i understand those are probably not what you refer to,
but if I wanted to deepen the obejctives for a department, that's a good place to start from.

Adding mroe boutnies,a nd boutnies that can be made from every station is a good thing that could be worked on.
For example, the bounties for Virology and Botany can sometimes be a challenege to get, and there are
bounties for almost every department. Maybe adding bounties that relate to
assistants could be a good plan (Budget gloves, so on).

I imagine you refer to bigger projects, though, but I'd suggest first to look at bounties and Station goals and
maybe developign some station goals that refer to Departments other than Engi and Science.
(Maybe one station goal could be a Grand Feast (Botany-kitchen-Bar), or a miraculous resucitation
(Chaplain-Chemistry/Botany), or things like that).
"Purging chemicals at incredibly hihg speeds."
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #515661

I do like the idea of having a goal to aim at when I'm bored or uninspired. But what's in it for me? People do their jobs for the cool items or abilities that come from them. Why do I care if my department achieves this goal or not? Do I get a cash bonus? Is the thing itself beneficial to me?

Not shooting down your idea at all, just something I'd like to know. If you don't give players proper incentives (and I mean things that are actually cool, not just token rewards) they won't do what you want them to.
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

OFQ

Post by OFQ » #515707

cacogen wrote:I do like the idea of having a goal to aim at when I'm bored or uninspired. But what's in it for me? People do their jobs for the cool items or abilities that come from them. Why do I care if my department achieves this goal or not? Do I get a cash bonus? Is the thing itself beneficial to me?

Not shooting down your idea at all, just something I'd like to know. If you don't give players proper incentives (and I mean things that are actually cool, not just token rewards) they won't do what you want them to.
Well that's gonna be up to department head to figure out. Some will use telescopic baton and might end up getting disposal ride. Others will give out cool and dangerous stuff and will end up killed with it or arrested for criminal neglect. Or how about appealing to the sense of patriotism and hatred of "them - rival departments" FOR ATMOSIA!!! REEEEDOOOM!!! And all that fun stuff. And maybe just maybe sometimes it will be boring normal shift where department staff will work for its usual wages - till someone steals station funds and there will be blood and glory.
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #515778

Station goals not having tangible benefits is often why they don't get done. I usually only see the DNA Vault get done since it gives people a tangible benefit to its existence that benefits more than a few
Reyn
Byond Username: ReynTime13

Post by Reyn » #516569

Anonmare wrote:Station goals not having tangible benefits is often why they don't get done. I usually only see the DNA Vault get done since it gives people a tangible benefit to its existence that benefits more than a few
I think department goals should give said department an advantage of sorts, I agree. Maybe sec gets better gear or access to better stuff in general as of completing their goal.

Maybe research unlocks a new set of research techs for completing theirs

Maybe engineering gets the sweet release of death they seem to seek without irradiating the entire fucking station.

Maybe medical becomes useful.

Maybe cargo gets access to all sorts of new stuff to order, including bigger guns, better medical supplies, and more.
I play Trevor Fea on Bagil, And Giorno Giovanna on terry. Yes, I'm THAT raging asshole. Sorry for being such a cunt.
Have I told you how much I hate engineering, by the way?