[ADMIN] XSlayer300

Moderators: In-Game Head Admins, In-Game Admin, TGMC Game Server Operators, Game Server Operators, TGMC Administrator, TGMC Lead

XSlayer300
 
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:36 am
Byond Username: XSlayer300

[ADMIN] XSlayer300

Postby XSlayer300 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:20 am #516088

Current ckey and any previous ckeys: XSlayer300, no previous ckeys
Character name(s): Dan 'Exo' Aye and Aniyah 'Tourist' Hynes
Timezone: 8:00+ GMT
Discord tag: XSlayer300#2103
Any previous experience administrating? Where and in what manner: I have no experience at all. Except when I play the source of the server.
How long have you been playing TGMC and other servers in general: For a very long time. Hours maybe?
Have you been banned from any SS13 servers within the past 6 months? If so, what server, and for what reason: Just one 3-hour ban currently, CM-SS13 for intentionally killing an essential teammember (doctor) on the verge of defeat. Well, as another faction. I won't do that again of course But I do regret it.
Have you ever recieved a permanent ban from a server? If so, what server, and for what reason: None so far.
Why do you believe that you would make a good admin? Well, more like an 'admin event manager' than an 'enforcer admin' to me. I believe I can be a good admin because I'm usually relaxed and calm, I know much about the rules and I do my best not to violate them. After all, this server isn't hectic as most servers out there.
What's one aspect of how you play the game that you think you could improve on? Well, on judging the punishments of each player. Luckily, this server is usually devoid of griefers and bad people, right? I'm not really good when it comes to judgements.
What standards do you personally hold players to? How should judgements on their actions be determined? Relaxed and somewhat serious when it comes to warnings or ahelps. As said before, I'm not really good when it comes to judgements. I sometimes rely on other admins to help me when it comes to punishments or warnings.
What is a good metric or standard to go by when doing admin events? What would you try to consider when doing an admin event? How often do you think you'd run admin events? I think that's the quirk about myself when applying as an admin. I can try to do good events, as long as the players would agree to it.
What do you think you'll find most enjoyable about being an admin? What do you think you'll find least enjoyable? I find it enjoyable to do admin events. Punishing people or warning people is not my type of thing.
No one admins forever. For what reason or how do you think you will stop adminning? Do you think you'll be able to call it quits when you've had enough? When I'll be busy due to uni or when there's a boatload of crap that I need to pile on, mainly appeals or banned users.

Please fill out the following example scenarios, put your answer on a separate line from the question:
1. A player shoots another player near the start of the round, but the MPs have already detained and brigged him.
I'll give him a temporary ban as well as a warning.
2. You see a player walking around the ship without any clothes on, looking pretty lost.
I'll either teach the player or I'll consult one of the active mentors to help out.
3. A player is getting aggressive in adminhelps and requesting to speak to a higher ranking staff member.
I'd rather ask another admin for help, since I'm not really suited to this. If not, then I'll ask the higher ranking staff members for their final judgement.
4. You notice a player with a name that doesn't fit our naming rules. The player is arguing that they've used the name for several years across multiple servers and no one has told them to change it before.
I'll comply with the rules and ask them to change because every server has different rules and this server is not one of them, if not. I'll forcefully change their name if I wish to or give them a warning. I better ask the other (head) admins for assistance as well.
5. You see an MT running around in armor and carrying a rifle. The security level is green with no threat present.
Ask them to disarm their weapons and armor. If not, I'll forcefully remove them and make a note.
6. The round is stagnating. There are 14 marines and 4 aliens (balance will change over time, just imagine a stalemate scenario according to the current meta). The marines won't leave the ship, and the aliens won't attack. What would you do, to "encourage" the sides to engage each other?
Encourage the aliens/marines to attack the opposing side using IC methods or force the shuttle to its location. Otherwise I might consult the admins for help.
7. A marine is running around disarming other marines and stealing their gear near the beginning of the round.
Tell them to stop, otherwise I'll simply warn them. Then I'll ask the other marine(s) to use the spare gear machine if they ahelp.
8. A marine has killed another marine. When you ask him why, he said it was because the other marine had punched him or said something rude towards him.
Warn or if he still does that, tempban him for improper escalation. Then aheal the dead marine, unless if the situation is handled ICly.
9. There are minor racist comments going on IC. 9 of the 10 people are laughing and roleplaying but one player gets offended and adminhelps about it.
Warn them or ask the admins for advice.
10. A marine opens fire at several marines during briefing killing multiple people and logs off before you can message him.
Aheal all of the marines and ban the said marine with a note.
11. You see a larva die near the frontlines. Upon further investigation, you see that they bursted in a safe place far away.
Ask admins for advice, if not, I'll simply warn them and make a note. Unless if the larva isn't matured enough.
12. You see a xeno excessively saying phrases like "Ayyylmao", "Reeeee" and similar in the hivemind chat.
Ask the xeno to stop saying those phrases, otherwise warn them.
13. A command staff player mentions during briefing that there might be xenos on the planet.
Not necessary, since TGMC marines know xenos are on the planet anyway.
14. A marine kills another marine on the Evac Pod to take the last spot, but has roleplayed the situation quite well.
Ask the admins for advice, then I'll tell the person to not do that again.
15. You see an SSD Squad Leader in the preparation room 1 hour into the round. When you check the logs, you notice he logged off near the beginning of the round.
Make a note and warn said Squad Leader next time he comes on. I'll also ICly ask someone to drag the said person to cryo.
16. You see a member of the staff give wrong information in an adminhelp.
Ask other admins for assistance, or I'll simply ask to do the right thing.
17. You see a member of the staff abusing his powers in-game or otherwise breaking the administrator rules.
Tell them to stop, otherwise I'll simply ask other admins for assistance.
18. You see a player bashing another server or player in OOC.
Tell them to stop as well, otherwise warn or mute OOC if things get heated.
19. A player ahelps saying that they were instantly killed by another member of their squad. When you ask their squad member who shot them, they said that it was accidental friendly fire.
Tell the player to not do that again. I'll ask other admins for further judgement.



User avatar
Bluespace
 
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:04 pm
Location: UK
Byond Username: Bluespace

Re: [ADMIN] XSlayer300

Postby Bluespace » Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:21 pm #516091

I don't usually give civilised feedback but in this case I think it'll be helpful.
I had a look through your application just out of curiousity and I don't think you'd be a good fit for an admin.
Let me break down why though, rather than just leaving it there.
Let's start at the top.

The first part of your applications is great, you filled it out right and having no experience isn't a big thing anymore, admins can bounce stuff off each other and ask questions when need be.

You note that you'd like to be an "admin event manager", however, when choosing to volunteer as an admin, you're going to find yourself pushed into enforcer admin situations unless you simply ignore adminhelps when you find yourself the only one online, etc. What if I a younger admin asks you to make a ruling about an RDM case? What if you're presented with blatant griefing and asked to handle it? You get the picture.

You state you're "not really good when it comes to judgements", and that's okay, but as an admin you're going to find yourself making judgements that people might spit back at you for. If you have to ban a regular player, are you going to have the confidence to stand behind your decision when they throw up an angry ban appeal and you're being roasted in a peanut thread for it?

Throughout your application you make references to asking other admins or relying on them, and that's obviously completely fine if you're occassionally discussing punishments or whatever, but if you have to rely on an admin every time you need to dole out punishment, what's the difference between you and a player with adminhelp?

Let's go through the answers you've provided to the questions. (This will contain my opinion so you you'll likely disagree at points, which is fair enough.)

1)I'd lean more towards this being an IC issue, but again, opinion.
3)Pointing back towards what I said earlier, sometimes asking another admin to take over can help, but you'll need to be able to handle angry people.
4)Asking the head admins about changing someone's name is overkill. You can definitely make judgements about names as an admin, junior or not.
9)This is absolutely an IC issue, no warning would be needed.
14)This would /likely/ end up an IC issue as well. There's a lot that can be excused with roleplay, and as long as you look into it to make sure no foul play happened, you can probably give it the thumbs up.
19)If it's accidental friendly fire, how are you going to ask them not to do it again? Accidents happen, but in this case, how the killer reacts is the decider for what you'll do next. It should be handled IC if it was truly accidental, with the murderer taking responsibility for bringing the dead back into the round.

Again, this post contains my opinion and others, yourself included, are free to disagree with me. A large part of your application comes down to "ask other admins" or "let other admins handle it", and at that point, you might as well just be adminhelping as a normal player anyway.
That being said, you seem like a nice dude, have you considered approaching the staff team about helping run some events? That might be more your pace if you're looking for that.
Best of luck, hope my feedback wasn't too soul draining.
I play Boris Pepper.
Image

XSlayer300
 
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:36 am
Byond Username: XSlayer300

Re: [ADMIN] XSlayer300

Postby XSlayer300 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:36 pm #516092

Bluespace wrote:I don't usually give civilised feedback but in this case I think it'll be helpful.
I had a look through your application just out of curiousity and I don't think you'd be a good fit for an admin.
Let me break down why though, rather than just leaving it there.
Let's start at the top.

The first part of your applications is great, you filled it out right and having no experience isn't a big thing anymore, admins can bounce stuff off each other and ask questions when need be.

You note that you'd like to be an "admin event manager", however, when choosing to volunteer as an admin, you're going to find yourself pushed into enforcer admin situations unless you simply ignore adminhelps when you find yourself the only one online, etc. What if I a younger admin asks you to make a ruling about an RDM case? What if you're presented with blatant griefing and asked to handle it? You get the picture.

You state you're "not really good when it comes to judgements", and that's okay, but as an admin you're going to find yourself making judgements that people might spit back at you for. If you have to ban a regular player, are you going to have the confidence to stand behind your decision when they throw up an angry ban appeal and you're being roasted in a peanut thread for it?

Throughout your application you make references to asking other admins or relying on them, and that's obviously completely fine if you're occassionally discussing punishments or whatever, but if you have to rely on an admin every time you need to dole out punishment, what's the difference between you and a player with adminhelp?

Let's go through the answers you've provided to the questions. (This will contain my opinion so you you'll likely disagree at points, which is fair enough.)

1)I'd lean more towards this being an IC issue, but again, opinion.
3)Pointing back towards what I said earlier, sometimes asking another admin to take over can help, but you'll need to be able to handle angry people.
4)Asking the head admins about changing someone's name is overkill. You can definitely make judgements about names as an admin, junior or not.
9)This is absolutely an IC issue, no warning would be needed.
14)This would /likely/ end up an IC issue as well. There's a lot that can be excused with roleplay, and as long as you look into it to make sure no foul play happened, you can probably give it the thumbs up.
19)If it's accidental friendly fire, how are you going to ask them not to do it again? Accidents happen, but in this case, how the killer reacts is the decider for what you'll do next. It should be handled IC if it was truly accidental, with the murderer taking responsibility for bringing the dead back into the round.

Again, this post contains my opinion and others, yourself included, are free to disagree with me. A large part of your application comes down to "ask other admins" or "let other admins handle it", and at that point, you might as well just be adminhelping as a normal player anyway.
That being said, you seem like a nice dude, have you considered approaching the staff team about helping run some events? That might be more your pace if you're looking for that.
Best of luck, hope my feedback wasn't too soul draining.


Well, I'll try my best to be an enforcer. Because not once in my SS13 career that I am part of the staff team, and thus I can be new at times, make false calls or mistakes that eventually make people hate me. And to be honest, I'm afraid to be hated of this server. I know what part of the trouble is obvious (like griefing) but when I feel like I'm going to mess up the next time I respond, it's probably better for me to call some of the admins here than to do damage or ruin reputation. For the questions stated above, I'll keep your opinion in mind, especially when it comes to "IC-Issue" warnings and stuff. I don't want people to be ruined of fun.

And about the last part stating about going to the staff team about events? I haven't considered that option before, honestly. I got many events in mind to keep the round going as long as the fun is not ruined. If there would be something like 'event manager' staff role or something, that'd be great imo.

User avatar
grinkgo
TGMC Lead
 
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:52 am
Byond Username: Grinkgo

Re: [ADMIN] XSlayer300

Postby grinkgo » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:25 pm #516153

Hello, and thank you for applying!

XSlayer300 wrote:5. You see an MT running around in armor and carrying a rifle. The security level is green with no threat present.
Ask them to disarm their weapons and armor. If not, I'll forcefully remove them and make a note.

What would you respond if the player asks what rule they're breaking?

XSlayer300 wrote:11. You see a larva die near the frontlines. Upon further investigation, you see that they bursted in a safe place far away.
Ask admins for advice, if not, I'll simply warn them and make a note. Unless if the larva isn't matured enough.

Are there any rules against this behavior?

XSlayer300 wrote:12. You see a xeno excessively saying phrases like "Ayyylmao", "Reeeee" and similar in the hivemind chat.
Ask the xeno to stop saying those phrases, otherwise warn them.

Likewise, what rules are being broken here?

User avatar
Merryweather
TGMC Lead
 
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:47 pm
Location: Houston, Texas
Byond Username: Merryweather

Re: [ADMIN] XSlayer300

Postby Merryweather » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:35 pm #516157

Hi and thanks for applying, lets get to your information part first.




How long have you been playing TGMC and other servers in general: For a very long time. Hours maybe?

Are you saying that you have played for only hours or did you mean to say how long you have played SS13 in general, such as a year or two or more? Months? I was confused by this answer, so I hope you can clear it up.

Have you been banned from any SS13 servers within the past 6 months? If so, what server, and for what reason: Just one 3-hour ban currently, CM-SS13 for intentionally killing an essential teammember (doctor) on the verge of defeat. Well, as another faction. I won't do that again of course But I do regret it.

This I can get around, I assume it's from a while ago.

Why do you believe that you would make a good admin? Well, more like an 'admin event manager' than an 'enforcer admin' to me. I believe I can be a good admin because I'm usually relaxed and calm, I know much about the rules and I do my best not to violate them. After all, this server isn't hectic as most servers out there.

Most likely you will have to play that enforcer role, like Bluespace said beforehand. It may not be appealing to you but often you will have to deal with rulebreakers, griefers, and hard cases.

What's one aspect of how you play the game that you think you could improve on? Well, on judging the punishments of each player. Luckily, this server is usually devoid of griefers and bad people, right? I'm not really good when it comes to judgements.

Not really, we strive to go for that but there are always bad apples in servers. No matter how hugboxy or strict it is.

What standards do you personally hold players to? How should judgements on their actions be determined? Relaxed and somewhat serious when it comes to warnings or ahelps. As said before, I'm not really good when it comes to judgements. I sometimes rely on other admins to help me when it comes to punishments or warnings.

Relying on admins is fine, but you can't be too reliable as you'll have to take action somehow, what if you are a fullmin and the rest of the team may be AFK/playing during a test? You may have to step in and take that ticket.

No one admins forever. For what reason or how do you think you will stop adminning? Do you think you'll be able to call it quits when you've had enough? When I'll be busy due to uni or when there's a boatload of crap that I need to pile on, mainly appeals or banned users.

University is something that is manageable but that depends on if you have the schedule for it.

Before we get to the questions, you seem to have no experience, and seem to be a bit chill but on the edge when it comes to enforcing rules. I advise maybe you should try to become a mentor instead and get invested to the game before trying to reapply as an administrator. That is your choice of course. If you want to persist being an administrator the team and I will handle your questions etc.
Bluespace gave a good explanation, and I'm glad you acknowledged it. So what do you think is best for you?

I would like you to answer mine before grinkgo's, then if you are continuing to apply you can just answer them.
Head Administrator and a Lead of TGMC.
A part (HAPPY ORANGES) of one of the best SS13 servers out there, ish.



OOC: Rohesie: The oligarchy shall never fall.

Feedback: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=22045

Toolboxing for a Cause: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=24022

XSlayer300
 
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:36 am
Byond Username: XSlayer300

Re: [ADMIN] XSlayer300

Postby XSlayer300 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:23 am #516242

grinkgo wrote:What would you respond if the player asks what rule they're breaking?


Likely rule 2 or 3, depends on the context. It's LRP if some shipside role guy welds a gun inside the ship during peace hours if they're "preparing for the worst", that's also meta too.

grinkgo wrote:Are there any rules against this behavior?


Rules 3, 5 for me. Larvae are limited roles and cannot go battle larvas at will, of course Larvae shouldn't suicide like a marine if they're going home or something. Better yet, ghost or ahelp atleast.

grinkgo wrote:Likewise, what rules are being broken here?


Definitely rule 3, it's LRP and it's not realistic for the hivemind.


Merryweather wrote:Are you saying that you have played for only hours or did you mean to say how long you have played SS13 in general, such as a year or two or more? Months? I was confused by this answer, so I hope you can clear it up.


In general, for a year or two I guess. It's been a year+.

Merryweather wrote:Relying on admins is fine, but you can't be too reliable as you'll have to take action somehow, what if you are a fullmin and the rest of the team may be AFK/playing during a test? You may have to step in and take that ticket.


I can do the tickets if I am in charge, if there is nobody tending to these tickets.

Merryweather wrote:Before we get to the questions, you seem to have no experience, and seem to be a bit chill but on the edge when it comes to enforcing rules. I advise maybe you should try to become a mentor instead and get invested to the game before trying to reapply as an administrator. That is your choice of course. If you want to persist being an administrator the team and I will handle your questions etc.
Bluespace gave a good explanation, and I'm glad you acknowledged it. So what do you think is best for you?


I really have no experience, I'm totally new to adminship. Of course I can try mentor if I want, but you know... I can't do events with it! Hehe.

User avatar
Merryweather
TGMC Lead
 
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:47 pm
Location: Houston, Texas
Byond Username: Merryweather

Re: [ADMIN] XSlayer300

Postby Merryweather » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:20 pm #518642

Final Result

Sorry for the deliberation, after speaking with the administration, we have decided to DENY this application, you show some genuine interest, try to apply in a few weeks time, for now this will be archived.
Head Administrator and a Lead of TGMC.
A part (HAPPY ORANGES) of one of the best SS13 servers out there, ish.



OOC: Rohesie: The oligarchy shall never fall.

Feedback: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=22045

Toolboxing for a Cause: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=24022


Return to TGMC Closed Applications

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users