Ragin Mages Feedback

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Ragin Mages Feedback

Post by Ikarrus » #58157

We have a new game mode on the servers called Ragin Mages.

In this game mode, a new wizard spawns every 5 or so minutes. That's basically it.

Now that some of you had the chance to try it out, what are your guys opinion on it?

It's a relatively new game mode, so we can disable it if you guys do not think it is polished enough to play regularly on secret yet.
It's been removed from the secret rotation for the moment.
I guess someone re-added it.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Jeb
Byond Username: Stapler2025

Re: Ragin Mages Feedback

Post by Jeb » #58159

It sucks, needs reworked and in general isn't fun.
Guy that made a thing that got put on the homepage of /tg/station13
Defeated in the Great Purge of 2014
[Security] Fiz Bump says, "Beats me, I'm not a scientist. But this is a problem that can be solved with harmbatons."
Johnson Fitzwell asks, "HOW THE FUCK ARE YOU STILL ALIVE?"
Tsaricide
Byond Username: Tsaricide

Post by Tsaricide » #58161

I would suggest to not have it as a round type but a special event that only has a chance to happen 1 hour into the round at minimum.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #58162

Or a admin only event. Its a great event to spice up a round, its somewhat of a poor game mode.

The crew already have enough trouble dealing with one Wizard, let alone a dozen.
Yiu113
Byond Username: Yiu113

Post by Yiu113 » #58164

It can vary massively on whether or not it's fun. It shouldn't be a roundtype though, but an announced event. That way more fun can happen where changelings and such are trying to survive wizard hell.
Falamazeer
Byond Username: Wootanon

Post by Falamazeer » #58166

I liked it, Pure chaos, but fun.
Ham Sammich, beating a dead horse since 2010.
NikNakFlak wrote:....It's true...that is why I removed my forum avatar
lumipharon wrote:ass parasite was pretty meh when I tried it.
mikecari
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Mikecari

Post by mikecari » #58169

Ikarrus wrote:We have a new game mode on the servers called Ragin Mages.

In this game mode, a new wizard spawns every 5 or so minutes. That's basically it.

What are your guys opinion on this? It's a relatively new game mode, so we can disable it if you guys do not think it is polished enough to play regularly on secret yet.
I like it sort of but it's very unbalanced and all the wizards can fuck over a station unless they're REALLY prepared for it. I mean one wizard is usually bad enough, but....
Burer
Byond Username: Ulizak

Post by Burer » #58171

It's fun but incredibly imbalanced. Wizards are the most robust antags for a reason with sleep syringes being the only way to actually kill one. Anyone use of a staff of change pretty much turns the entire station flipside. If you're going to add in such imbalanced mode with a frequent chance of happening why don't you increase the other imbalanced but fun modes like rev and syndie squad chances of happening thumbs up if you agree ==b.
qwert33

Post by qwert33 » #58181

Having "the floor is lava" in makes it not as fun.
wands of polymorph and wands of healing make it more fun.
mindswap is neat too.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #58207

qwert33 wrote:Having "the floor is lava" in makes it not as fun.
wands of polymorph and wands of healing make it more fun.
mindswap is neat too.
Lava floors etc are a byproduct of the mode not properly excluding summon X wizard spells. Not really a product of the mode.

What would really improve the mode as a whole is to make it function a bit more like DA. Wizards are spawned enmasse but are tasked with dunking the other wizards while dodging the crew.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #58255

So long as every newly-spawned wiz is told to kill his predecessor things should be interesting.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #58264

Every time I've seen this the wizards automatically all want to work together and will wait for a few others to spawn before attacking the station as one bloc.

The gamemode is a clusterfuck, which can be fun but the chaos is unlike anything else.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #58514

Jeb wrote:It sucks, needs reworked and in general isn't fun.
Great feedback, really helpful. I give you a 10/10 for your feedback skills
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #58522

oranges wrote:
This post sucks, needs reworked and in general isn't fun.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Reimoo
Byond Username: Reimoo

Post by Reimoo » #58739

I like the DA wizard idea. At least the station has a chance to survive then. For fluff reasons simply hand wave it as the wizards using the station as a dueling arena.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #58740

paprika wrote:
oranges wrote:
This post sucks, needs reworked and in general isn't fun.
Rest assured that we have taken your feedback under advisement and will work swiftly to identify the areas in which we can improve to meet your requirements in a way that satisifies you.
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #58771

Just force the wizards into conflict, remove summons and then remove the entire gamemode because it's a bit shit.

Maybe if it was a bunch of apprentices fighting to the death on station, and the last survivor gets promoted to wizard.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #61097

Bump as it's been re-added to secret.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays
Byond Username: An0n3

Post by Timbrewolf » #61099

It doesn't fit with the rest of the game or the environment it takes place in.

Everyone else on the server becomes a bystander for this:

...when people should just go get that and play that if they want to do that. (EDIT: Nox is actually really fucking good and I would love to play that multiplayer with people again but I digress...)

As a function that gets the shuttle called and gets the round to end really fast it works but as a game mode in and of itself it's completely worthless. I would jokingly say we should put Highlander in the regular rotation but Highlander at least lets everyone participate and would be a better suggestion than having Raging Mages appear as a regular round type.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Bombadil
Byond Username: Kromgar

Post by Bombadil » #61107

Raging mages is more fun than Highlander. Highlander is a shitfest.

Ragin mages has the benefit of letting tons of people play wizard which is a somewhat rare opportunity. Remove summons only let them choose artifact items and put them to war on the station.

Wizards with belts of wands with blink and some crazy artifact to see allout hellish war happen.

Also allow them to spam wizard event spell
Planet Station Best Station

Vote Planetstation and Kor Phaeron 2017
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #61109

Ragin Mages lets one player and around three ghosts play as a Wizard. Its as enjoyable to play as a Wizard as it is to play as one during a normal round, but for the crew I can imagine its a case of "I have to hide in this locker and wait it out".

I did have fun playing as one of the Wizards though, but I don't know about everyone else on the server.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #61111

Bombadil wrote:Raging mages is more fun than Highlander. Highlander is a shitfest.
That's your opinion. That's a matter of preference.
Ragin mages has the benefit of letting tons of people play wizard which is a somewhat rare opportunity. Remove summons only let them choose artifact items and put them to war on the station.
If by "tons" you mean one person every five minutes, while the rest of the crew doesn't do shit (aside from call the shuttle ASAP). You're right at least that it gives more people a chance to try their hand at being a wizard. There's a lot of other things we could do to accomplish that as well, though. Like having shorter rounds and a population that's better balanced between the two servers.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #61126

I personally adore wizard on wizard combat but that's about the only good thing about this mode
CocaneStyle
Byond Username: CocaneStyle

Post by CocaneStyle » #61148

Reimoo wrote:I like the DA wizard idea. At least the station has a chance to survive then. For fluff reasons simply hand wave it as the wizards using the station as a dueling arena.
I like that Idea a lot, but what would the gamemodes name be? Also are wizards able to counter wizards or is it just whoever manages to land an EI NATH first wins?
Bombadil

Post by Bombadil » #61193

An0n3 wrote:
Bombadil wrote:Raging mages is more fun than Highlander. Highlander is a shitfest.
That's your opinion. That's a matter of preference.
If by "tons" you mean one person every five minutes, while the rest of the crew doesn't do shit (aside from call the shuttle ASAP). You're right at least that it gives more people a chance to try their hand at being a wizard. There's a lot of other things we could do to accomplish that as well, though. Like having shorter rounds and a population that's better balanced between the two servers.
Im a kindly wizard and give all the people syndieborg bodies to spread mayhem and chaos. Also i make some xenos and others mice.

Oh god no population caps are a bad idea

AnonymousNow
Byond Username: AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #61196

If wizards had more incentives to get the crew involved one way or another, the roundtype would probably be better received. For example, inherent mistrust in an otherwise loyal crew means that summon guns/magic is actually fun, because there's always going to be SOMEBODY using their griff power and that escalates naturally without even skirting the rules. I love slow rounds full of mystery and intrigue, but I also love fast rounds full of chaos.

Personally, I think we need more summon magic.
Hornygranny wrote:It's not your codebase. It's our codebase. You can imply soft power as much as you want, but you don't have it. Division between the server and project is absolute. I'm not interested in reading dezzmont platitudes for the billionth time and won't be checking back in this thread.

Spoiler:
~Simplified for the sake of Wyzack's delicate feelings~
Fuck anti-roleplay suggestions and fuck Bay.

Xenomorphs a shit.
Zellion
Byond Username: Zellion

Post by Zellion » #61199

Add a new staff: staff of control. Any crewmember hit by it joins that wizard's team like a rev and must assist the wizard. Add in new graphics like a big W above controlled crewmembers that teammates can see. Yes/no?
AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #61212

Zellion wrote:Add a new staff: staff of control. Any crewmember hit by it joins that wizard's team like a rev and must assist the wizard. Add in new graphics like a big W above controlled crewmembers that teammates can see. Yes/no?
I'd say that would be overpowered, but fun - and considering the fact that a space wizard is supposed to be a ridiculous bastion of thaumatic overpoweredness, perhaps appropriate.

How do you make this viable in Ragin' Mages, though? Wizards would directly compete.
Hornygranny wrote:It's not your codebase. It's our codebase. You can imply soft power as much as you want, but you don't have it. Division between the server and project is absolute. I'm not interested in reading dezzmont platitudes for the billionth time and won't be checking back in this thread.

Spoiler:

Xenomorphs a shit.
Bombadil

Post by Bombadil » #61217

AnonymousNow wrote:
Zellion wrote:Add a new staff: staff of control. Any crewmember hit by it joins that wizard's team like a rev and must assist the wizard. Add in new graphics like a big W above controlled crewmembers that teammates can see. Yes/no?
I'd say that would be overpowered, but fun - and considering the fact that a space wizard is supposed to be a ridiculous bastion of thaumatic overpoweredness, perhaps appropriate.

How do you make this viable in Ragin' Mages, though? Wizards would directly compete.
SHooting the staff at someone changes them to your team even if they are on another wizards team? Better hope you dont lose your staff

AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #61223

Bombadil wrote:
AnonymousNow wrote:

SHooting the staff at someone changes them to your team even if they are on another wizards team? Better hope you dont lose your staff
How do you keep track of different wizard teams? How many teams can there be?

Actually, this could be an opportunity to come up with the basis for visible team-based modes. Perhaps small HUD-like indicators near the bottom corners of a mob's tile, rather than the top corners (which are occupied by a whole mess of other things)? It could allow for antagonist type layering, team-based gamemodes, and if there was a button to toggle visibility of enemy factions...

Spoiler:

Xenomorphs a shit.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #61251

But now you're just making rev with spells.

Are we Bethesda now?
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #61253

An0n3 wrote:But now you're just making rev with spells.

Are we Bethesda now?
Yeah, revs with spells is... no, wait. Revs with spells would be awesome!

But the real potential there is the framework for admins assigning people to easy-to-distinguish teams. If there was a tool to do that en-masse, then you could literally divide the station down into a left and right half, working together against the others.

But I think I'm getting distracted away from the point of the thread. Ragin' Mages seems pretty cool, it just needs to be a bit more inclusive.

Spoiler:

Xenomorphs a shit.