[ADMIN] Chaznoodles

Moderators: In-Game Head Admins, In-Game Admin, Game Server Operators, TGMC Game Server Operators, TGMC Administrator, TGMC Lead

Chaznoodles

Byond Username: Chaznoodles

[ADMIN] Chaznoodles

Postby Chaznoodles » Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:18 pm #567155

Current ckey and any previous ckeys: Chaznoodles
Character name(s): Cyrus Saint, Mathis Mwamba
Timezone: GMT/BST
Discord tag: Goblin#3446
Any previous experience administrating? Where and in what manner: Apollo, Aurora, Colonial Marines, Archangel, Hippie, LS13. Generally ranged from secondarymin to leading the community.
How long have you been playing TGMC and other servers in general: Been around SS13 since April 2012 and TGMC since it kicked off, but only properly into it for the past two months or so.
Have you been banned from any SS13 servers within the past 6 months? If so, what server, and for what reason: Bastion of Hestia, due to the headmin at the time going unting to Baystation and Aurora to create reasons to remove me due to a preexisting grudge.
Have you ever received a permanent ban from a server? If so, what server, and for what reason: Bay for getting into a shuttlecall tugowar as malf AI (2016?), CM for having a ridiculously long track record and bringing up issues of harassment (2018?), Aurora due to a staff member being metafriends with a certain player (2015/16?).
Why do you believe that you would make a good admin? I've got the experience in various across servers with varying levels of roleplay to be able to adjust my approach based on how the player responds, to get the best effect and keep the situation from spiralling. More importantly, I'm able to seperate myself from staff duties to deal with issues in a professional manner - Jerry asked if I was schizo because I'm radically less retarded in mentorhelps than while playing :( Also:

What's one aspect of how you play the game that you think you could improve on? Hotkeys! I've always used the classic layout, so it's a struggle relearning the game on a different layout!
What standards do you personally hold players to? How should judgements on their actions be determined? Players are here to have fun, but that shouldn't be at the expense of others. It's important to not hold players to the same standard across the board, but raise or lower the bar based on their ability to create fun for others or their experience. There's a big difference between someone new accidentally releasing plasma, and someone experienced doing it purposefully "as a joke". Judgements should be based on the issue at hand and their willingness/ability to change, rather than calling into question a past track record unless it's extremely relevant to the situation.
What is a good metric or standard to go by when doing admin events? What would you try to consider when doing an admin event? How often do you think you'd run admin events? Admin events should be well-planned in advance and should be able to adapt and change with how the players respond to give the most enjoyment to those playing. It should not consist of button pressing for the sake of it, or to "spice up" a round, nor to push the balance one way or the other. I don't believe I'd ever run major admin events, as I prefer a regular round due to the frequency of the previously mentioned button pressing from others.
What do you think you'll find most enjoyable about being an admin? What do you think you'll find least enjoyable? I enjoy talking to people and resolving situations! In the same vein, the least enjoyable part is seeing conflict between other staff as it's not something that tends to be resolved easily without one party or the other feeling let down or less important.
No one admins forever. For what reason or how do you think you will stop adminning? Do you think you'll be able to call it quits when you've had enough? I don't think it'll be from burnout, as I'm capable of seperating my personal stuff from staffing and not getting caught up in it. I'll most likely put down the reins when free time becomes more of an issue, or when I feel it's time to move on!

Please fill out the following example scenarios, put your answer on a separate line from the question:
1. A player shoots another player near the start of the round, but the MPs have already detained and brigged him.

MPs don't exist any more, ban the player for lying.
If the MPs have already detained and brigged them, then it's not a major issue. Shoot them a quick question asking why, ask them nicely to not escalate to that level again. Make sure the player on the receiving end is fixed right, and if not, pop them a quick heal.

2. You see a player walking around the ship without any clothes on, looking pretty lost.

See if there's anyone around ingame willing to give them a hand. If not, give them a friendly message asking them to click my name if they're struggling and need help/direct them to the Mentorhelp button for assistance. Alternatively, ask a Mentor to use the MentorPM function to give them a hand so they get more experience of being proactive.

3. A player is getting aggressive in adminhelps and requesting to speak to a higher ranking staff member.

No adminshopping, as it undermines the ability of staff! Tell them politely but firmly that it's not allowed, take no note of the aggressiveness as everyone gets that way when they're not having fun. Help them get over the problem at hand without engaging with the tone.

4. You notice a player with a name that doesn't fit our naming rules. The player is arguing that they've used the name for several years across multiple servers and no one has told them to change it before.

If they're arguing with another admin, leave them to it, not my place to jump in. If it's directed towards me, remind them that all servers have different rules and one of TGMC'ss regards naming conventions. Ask them what name they'd like to replace it, use VV to change it, take a note of their ckey on a sticky note or crisp packet to pop them a quick reminder at the start of the next round to change their name - something I've done before after being asked to change my name is forget to change it in Character Setup next round!

5. You see an ST running around in armor and carrying a rifle. The security level is green with no threat present.

Non-issue, unless they're using it to shoot things or people. It's not something I'd actively encourage, but it's not something I'd be willing to push against either because it doesn't really harm anyone.

6. The round is stagnating. There are 14 marines and 4 aliens (balance will change over time, just imagine a stalemate scenario according to the current meta). The marines won't leave the ship, and the aliens won't attack. What would you do, to "encourage" the sides to engage each other?

No changing of the balance from me. Shoot both the xenos and marines a message via their respective announcement systems telling them, in short, to do something because the clock's ticking and more xenos/marines could wake up at any moment.

7. A marine is running around disarming other marines and stealing their gear near the beginning of the round.

If it's not meant maliciously and they're doing it in a funny way, leave them be unless someone is responding aggressively. If they're doing it deliberately to cause trouble, shoot them a short PM asking them nicely to stop as it's disrupting the round for others. Alternatively, let the MPs hand- oh, wait.

8. A marine has killed another marine. When you ask him why, he said it was because the other marine had punched him or said something rude towards him.

Check VV for combat logs, see who hit who first. Message the other player for their side. Remind both that malicious HvH behaviour isn't encouraged. Take into account if either of the players have any previous notes for exactly this kind of behaviour when resolving.

9. There are minor racist comments going on IC. 9 of the 10 people are laughing and roleplaying but one player gets offended and adminhelps about it.

To be offended is everyone's right, but they aren't forced to continue to subject themself to it. Remind the person who adminhelped that they can remove themself from situations they're not enjoying but the majority are. Pop a quick reminder over to the others that some people might not agree with the behaviour and to keep that in mind when saying minor things.

10. A marine opens fire at several marines during briefing killing multiple people and logs off before you can message him.

Permaban, include the reason of the ban and a link to the Discord/Forums for if they log back on and wish to take it further.

11. You see a larva die near the frontlines. Upon further investigation, you see that they bursted in a safe place far away.

I can say I'm guilty of this! Sometimes, you're just having fun bopping around as a larva near the rest of the hive. Unless it's a repeat issue or they seem to be doing it maliciously, leave it be.

12. You see a xeno excessively saying phrases like "Ayyylmao", "Reeeee" and similar in the hivemind chat.

Xenos aren't really beholden to RP standards (if any). If other people are taking a dislike to it, pop them a quick message. Otherwise, leave them be because they'll hit the reddit filter eventually and be reminded automatically.

13. A command staff player mentions during briefing that there might be xenos on the planet.

Non-issue, marines are aware there's xenos.

14. A marine kills another marine on the Evac Pod to take the last spot, but has roleplayed the situation quite well.

Non-issue, if the other person doesn't take offence and enjoyed it. If they did, pop the original player a quick message to have them make sure the other person is alright with that kind of escalation before doing it.

15. You see an SSD Squad Leader in the preparation room 1 hour into the round. When you check the logs, you notice he logged off near the beginning of the round.

Move them to cryo to free up the slot or offer the mob to ghosts. No further action, as sometimes other things in real life take priority over 2d spacemen and they might not leave time for ghosting/logging off appropriately.

16. You see a member of the staff give wrong information in an adminhelp.

Shoot them the correct information via asay, don't jump in on the conversation.

17. You see a member of the staff abusing his powers in-game or otherwise breaking the administrator rules.

Pull them up on it via asay, take it to staffchat so it can be properly looked at by the rest of the staff. No need to voice it publicly and cause further issues. If it was seen and people are raising issues about it in OOC, mention that it's being handled, remind them that admin complaints exist, and continue with the aforementioned.

18. You see a player bashing another server or player in OOC.

No serverbashing! A quick reminder in OOC not to serverbash has worked every previous time from me.

19. A player ahelps saying that they were instantly killed by another member of their squad. When you ask their squad member who shot them, they said that it was accidental friendly fire.

Accidental FF happens, but it's extremely difficult to actually kill another marine at this point with it due to Heavy Jaeger. Check logs to see if anything could have prompted deliberate behaviour, don't act against the player without concrete evidence. There's no way to easily prove one way or the other here, but keep an eye on it for future occurrences.

terranaut
TGMC Lead

Byond Username: Terranaut

Re: [ADMIN] Chaznoodles

Postby terranaut » Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:55 pm #567237

Hi, thank you for applying. So far I have two follow-up questions:

For 6: Assume that a couple minutes pass after your message but nobody really seems to be doing anything despite players on both team being available. Do you continue to take no action? If so, why? If not, what will you do?

For 12: Why do you believe that Xenos are not beholden to any RP standard?

Tell me I'm a good monki: viewtopic.php?f=75&t=24558

SunoPerson
TGMC Administrator

Byond Username: SunoPerson

Postby SunoPerson » Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:36 pm #567239

Hi! And thanks for applying as Terranaut said. But i have a small lil followup question.

How would the player in question one be lying?

Also just replace any mentions of MP with command staff or something like that.

JPR

Byond Username: Jroinc1

Postby JPR » Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:12 pm #567251

+1 for me. Most, if not all of these answers are good. Some specific scenarios:

4)The name is PFC Jim. He says he's been RP'ing as the new PFC, and a look at his SAY/radio logs backs it up, and that he'll only do it for the one round.

6) What terra said, basically. You make a QM announce to attack, and a TGMC report to attack. Both are laughed at/told to fuck off IC for various (good) reasons. Nothing happens for 10-15 minutes. The ayys start walling off the LZ, and the ungas start forting SD pre-hijack. A coupla additional players join marines, and the ayys get a burrowed, which is taken. Your admin Who command shows 17 ungas shipside (12 marines), and 6 ayys planetside. Any actions you'd take in this specific scenario?

10) Just FYI, ban screens have a forum link, so you don't have to add it. Then again, I always do, so :P

11a) Larva bursts, dies, in your opinion it wasn't malicious, but he did frontline as a larva. Do you give the hive a burrowed to reimburse them?
11b) The queen ahelps a larva dying. The particular larva has the same ckey as a marine who burst, and died within 10 seconds of bursting by running into lava. The player, when PM'd, says he had to leave, and that he probably should have ghosted. Checking back on the ticket 5 minutes later, he's left, like he said he would. Actions?

14)One of the better answers I've seen.

In these 3 following scenarios, tell me when you'd assume non-accidental FF.

19a)Person X states in the previous round in OOC his intent to "AP rocket FF anyone who treats me incompetent".
19b) The victim was a squad medic treating the SADAR in the FOB, the shooter was person X, using a SADAR with an AP rocket. Sadar guy instantly (5 seconds)ahelps asking for a revive for them.
19c) Later in the round, the exact same thing happens with the same 2 people in shipside medbay. There were no enemies around in this situation, and the SADAR has to be deliberately wielded to fire.

Chaznoodles

Byond Username: Chaznoodles

Postby Chaznoodles » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:41 am #567278

terranaut wrote:Hi, thank you for applying. So far I have two follow-up questions:

For 6: Assume that a couple minutes pass after your message but nobody really seems to be doing anything despite players on both team being available. Do you continue to take no action? If so, why? If not, what will you do?

For 12: Why do you believe that Xenos are not beholden to any RP standard?

6. That's a difficult one! I wouldn't want to tilt the balance one way or the other, because I wouldn't want one side or the other to feel like their effort playing was wasted due to admin intervention. I wouldn't mind bolstering numbers on both sides by spawning burrowed/marine ERTs to give the numbers to push, but to soley do one isn't something I'd click with.

12. Xenos gameplay is a lot more relaxed than marine, and as a hivemind it seems a lot less important to roleplay a character or the like. It could get stale calling everything the metal bird, hosts, metal spitters and the like after a while! As long as it's not netspeak or just straight up abusing the chill vibes, then I don't think I'd have a problem.

SunoPerson wrote:Hi! And thanks for applying as Terranaut said. But i have a small lil followup question.

How would the player in question one be lying?

Also just replace any mentions of MP with command staff or something like that.

A joke, due to the recent MP removal they must be lying about MPs being around ;) Answered the question in the following line.

JPR wrote:+1 for me. Most, if not all of these answers are good. Some specific scenarios:

4)The name is PFC Jim. He says he's been RP'ing as the new PFC, and a look at his SAY/radio logs backs it up, and that he'll only do it for the one round.

6) What terra said, basically. You make a QM announce to attack, and a TGMC report to attack. Both are laughed at/told to fuck off IC for various (good) reasons. Nothing happens for 10-15 minutes. The ayys start walling off the LZ, and the ungas start forting SD pre-hijack. A coupla additional players join marines, and the ayys get a burrowed, which is taken. Your admin Who command shows 17 ungas shipside (12 marines), and 6 ayys planetside. Any actions you'd take in this specific scenario?

10) Just FYI, ban screens have a forum link, so you don't have to add it. Then again, I always do, so :P

11a) Larva bursts, dies, in your opinion it wasn't malicious, but he did frontline as a larva. Do you give the hive a burrowed to reimburse them?
11b) The queen ahelps a larva dying. The particular larva has the same ckey as a marine who burst, and died within 10 seconds of bursting by running into lava. The player, when PM'd, says he had to leave, and that he probably should have ghosted. Checking back on the ticket 5 minutes later, he's left, like he said he would. Actions?

14)One of the better answers I've seen.

In these 3 following scenarios, tell me when you'd assume non-accidental FF.

19a)Person X states in the previous round in OOC his intent to "AP rocket FF anyone who treats me incompetent".
19b) The victim was a squad medic treating the SADAR in the FOB, the shooter was person X, using a SADAR with an AP rocket. Sadar guy instantly (5 seconds)ahelps asking for a revive for them.
19c) Later in the round, the exact same thing happens with the same 2 people in shipside medbay. There were no enemies around in this situation, and the SADAR has to be deliberately wielded to fire.

4. One-round gimmicks are well and good, as long as they're not repeatedly doing it and nobody else has a problem/they're not disrupting the round for others. I'd let that one be!

6. See answer to Terra regarding bolstering both sides to enable a push. If they're still not doing anything to speed the round up past that 10ish minute mark after the announcements, then it's probably time for me to abandon my well-meaning stance and push for one side or the other, so the rest of the players can get back in for the next round.

10. News to me, I remember having to manually link forums and such way back on other servers!

11a. I don't. If it was malicious, I'd give them another burrowed, but if not, then that's the way the dice roll. They'll learn from their mistakes and hopefully it won't turn into malicious acting!
11b. If the player acknowledged they should have ghosted/were unaware that ghosting offers your mob up to deadchat, then no further action.

19a. May have been a joke in bad taste, may have not. Check previous notes for any related incidents of the sort, if so then approach assuming malicious intent. If unclear, pop them a |(not leading!) question referencing the quote and see if they slip.
19b. Answer assuming 19c. isn't the following situation. God knows I've accidentally killed marines before and tried my best to fix them up! If they near-instantly ahelped regarding a revive, they're probably aware they messed up and don't want their accident to remove another player from the round. Aheal the medic, remind the player to keep a better eye on what/when they're clicking.
19c. Third time's the charm. At this point, having assumed best intentions previously, it's time to go in assuming malicious behaviour and reference the previous incidents. Two chances was enough, add a ban with time dependent on how aware they are of the impact their actions have on other players after explaining why and directing them to the forums/discord if they have concerns or problems.

JPR

Byond Username: Jroinc1

Postby JPR » Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:15 am #567281

11a&b) I personally reimburse a larva in almost all cases that could be considered frontlining, along with possibly talking to the player, just cause it's very easy to maliciously drain a larva/ fail to kill yourself as a human, then suicide-rush and claim lag/you didn't know they were there.

Not many need to have the player punished, but if you check logs, and a larva with the same ckey as a marine burst in a nest, and dies as a larva, always assume it's a "post-mortem suicide" till proven otherwise, and give the larva.

All answers good (even if some are different than what I'd do).

Still a +1 from me.

terranaut
TGMC Lead

Postby terranaut » Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:17 pm #567996

Chaznoodles wrote:
12. Xenos gameplay is a lot more relaxed than marine, and as a hivemind it seems a lot less important to roleplay a character or the like. It could get stale calling everything the metal bird, hosts, metal spitters and the like after a while! As long as it's not netspeak or just straight up abusing the chill vibes, then I don't think I'd have a problem.

There seems to be some kind of misconception lately that we're a norp/lrp server that I wanna clear up here. I don't expect Xenos to talk about metal birds, skyhives and tallhosts (although I would appreciate it) but shit like ayylmao really doesn't fly in IC channels.

terranaut
TGMC Lead

Postby terranaut » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:29 pm #568469

After voting I'm going to be denying this application. Personally I think your answers were fine (aside from the one thing mentioned above) and I think that many of the votes are a result of your poor history collected on other servers which as of yet is not overriden by a positive history here. If you continue to be active I suggest you reapply in half a year or so and opinions might have changed by then, as long as you change your stance on the RP thing you will likely have much better chances then. Thanks again for applying.

Return to TGMC Closed Applications