Readd test firing teleporter or remove malfunctions

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Bombadil
Byond Username: Kromgar

Readd test firing teleporter or remove malfunctions

Post by Bombadil » #3208

I don't know why test firing it was removed but its gone so how about you fucking remove the fly person malfunction since you can't test fire anymore and remove the getting spaced by teleporter if you don't test fire unless it gets added back in
Planet Station Best Station

Vote Planetstation and Kor Phaeron 2017
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Re: Readd test firing teleporter or remove malfunctions

Post by Steelpoint » #3210

Yes please, with the prevalence of the AI satellite the teleporter sees regular usage. It's unreliable to expect RnD to upgrade the machine when only the RD has access and with no incentive.
Giacom
Byond Username: Giacomand

Post by Giacom » #3214

Test fish g was a placebo, it did not do anything but it made people feel like it did.
Check out my MiniStation map, for low population servers. http://tgstation13.org/wiki/MiniStation
Psyentific
Byond Username: Psyentific

Post by Psyentific » #3215

Giacom wrote:Test fish g was a placebo, it did not do anything but it made people feel like it did.
Why not make it do something, then?
I haven't logged into SS13 in at least a year.
ExplosiveCrate
Byond Username: ExplosiveCrate

Post by ExplosiveCrate » #3219

Using swype, Giacom?

Pretty sure the update that removed random spacing added a use for test firing that prevented it from irradiating the hell out of you.. It was one of the reasons people wanted the teleporter to be updated. Now with upgradeable machines, test firing once again does nothing.
i dont even know what the context for my signature was
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #3331

You can upgrade the teleporter to prevent the malfunctions.
Nalar
Byond Username: Nalar

Post by Nalar » #3333

Steelpoint wrote:Yes please, with the prevalence of the AI satellite the teleporter sees regular usage. It's unreliable to expect RnD to upgrade the machine when only the RD has access and with no incentive.
Wouldn't no longer being spaced by the teleporter count as an incentive to upgrade it?

Either way, I do support re-adding test firing and making it actually functional.

-=Forum Global Moderator=-
-=GameAdmin=-
Tell me how I'm doing.
ExplosiveCrate

Post by ExplosiveCrate » #3336

You don't get spaced by teleporters anymore, you just get irradiated to he'll and back and possibly become a fly person, it's been like that for a long time.
Cheridan
Byond Username: Cheridan

Post by Cheridan » #3931

When I changed the malfunction from LOL U SPACE U DED to the new effect, I made Test Firing actually do something - it made the malfunction effect not happen due to 'calibrations', with a 20% or whatever chance to become uncalibrated with each use.

Since then, there's been a lot of changes with teleporters to make them constructible, another to make them upgradeable, etc. I think at some point along the way test-firing got fiddled with.

Apparently upgraded teleporters have a smaller chance of error, which is good, since there should be some benefit to upgrading them. Basically what we need now is some kind of compromise between test-firing and upgrading, like maybe once you test-fire it acts as 1 stage of upgrade higher, or maybe upgrading will decrease the odds of it becoming uncalibrated.
/tg/station spriter, admin, and headcoder. Feel free to contact me via PM with questions, concerns, or requests.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #3945

Do you know what's funny? You can completely bypass the inane chance of getting irradiated or turned into a fly man by setting where you want to go on the teleporter then simply using a Hand Held Teleporter to go there...

I feel its unnecessary to force the crew to upgrade the teleporter to use it without significant risk, the only time anyone is going to practically use the teleporter is during a Malf Round. Players don't really want to worry about toxin damage on top of murderous cyborgs.
Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

Post by Helios » #3964

Steelpoint wrote:Do you know what's funny? You can completely bypass the inane chance of getting irradiated or turned into a fly man by setting where you want to go on the teleporter then simply using a Hand Held Teleporter to go there...

I feel its unnecessary to force the crew to upgrade the teleporter to use it without significant risk, the only time anyone is going to practically use the teleporter is during a Malf Round. Players don't really want to worry about toxin damage on top of murderous cyborgs.
Wait, hand tele doesn't do teleportation into deep space anymore?
Psyentific
Byond Username: Psyentific

Post by Psyentific » #3969

Helios wrote:
Steelpoint wrote:Do you know what's funny? You can completely bypass the inane chance of getting irradiated or turned into a fly man by setting where you want to go on the teleporter then simply using a Hand Held Teleporter to go there...

Wait, hand tele doesn't do teleportation into deep space anymore?
Not if you know how to use it, no. Even so, you can re-tele out.
I haven't logged into SS13 in at least a year.
Zelacks
Byond Username: Zelacks

Post by Zelacks » #3977

basically the teleporter has such limited use, or atleast the hurdles to jump through to get the teleporter upgraded to be usable is not worth it.
"A game about running around and getting in fights. Then you complain to the admins to get the other guy banned. There's also a space station or something"
Kelenius
Byond Username: Kelenius

Post by Kelenius » #3979

Listen, nobody ever ever ever upgrades the teleporter.

Like, ever.

It is a very rarely used piece of equipment. Most of the rounds R&D won't upgrade anything at all, and even when they do teleporter is probably the last thing on the list. When it's malf, it's needed very suddenly and there is no time to upgrade it. Relying on upgrades for it is a bad idea.
Cheridan
Byond Username: Cheridan

Post by Cheridan » #4076

If upgrading the teleporter isn't worthwhile, then it should be made worthwhile. Maybe a fully-upgraded teleporter could lock onto maxed suit sensors, treating them like a beacon.
/tg/station spriter, admin, and headcoder. Feel free to contact me via PM with questions, concerns, or requests.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #4118

Yesterday we had a malf round, three of us sec guys took the teleporter to the AI sat since some cunt had stolen the handtele for whatever reason. One of us got turned into a fly and I threw him back through the teleporter to station in hopes of someone healing him, and m and the other dude both got irradiated. It's really fucking annoying, especially since the hand tele has no side effects at all, why should the larger, station bound version fuck you up when you use it?
AseaHeru
Rarely plays

Post by AseaHeru » #4239

If anything, the hand teli should be worse.
I am located here, lurking in your posts, leaving piles of transparent wordings and being confused. Oh, I also try to map...

This, this is an example of what I leave for you.
Also, these days I mostly play Ursit McStation, mostly because I like roleplay.
Bombadil
Byond Username: Kromgar

Post by Bombadil » #4320

AseaHeru wrote:If anything, the hand teli should be worse.
Uh... It can still space you.

Either way the teleporter shouldn't need upgrading because the telepad has no drawbacks even when not upgraded its ridiculous
Planet Station Best Station

Vote Planetstation and Kor Phaeron 2017
ExplosiveCrate

Post by ExplosiveCrate » #4321

Spacing is hardly a consequence when you can immediately teleport back to the station and the portal is considered solid ground for purposes of spacewalking.
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #4322

At the very least there needs to be a way to cure being a fly, rather than it being an instant gg you fucked son.
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
ExplosiveCrate

Post by ExplosiveCrate » #4326

You're only fucked if the AI is being a huge dick and randomly killing nonhumans (which is bannable)
Neerti
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Neerti

Post by Neerti » #4371

Being a fly gives you tons of tox damage.
ImageImage
- Game Admin -
Feel free to PM me on the forums or IRC with questions, concerns, feedback, or just talk about stuff.
Have I not met my hitler quota this month?
ExplosiveCrate

Post by ExplosiveCrate » #4412

That's mostly because you got irradiated from the teleporter malfunction, which can happen without turning you into a flyperson.