Plumbing Feedback

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Time-Green
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Time-Green

Plumbing Feedback

Post by Time-Green » #595463

I saw some people looking for a place to talk to me about plumbing

I recently reworked the reaction chamber and introduced automatic bufferers, and I don't doubt people have thoughts about the space limitations. Short answer: MiniChem is apparently coming which gives plumbing it's own dimension. But yes space is one of the bigger underlying issues plumbing has, and until the prophecy of the minichem comes, I don't want plumbing to be unplayable. Suggestions are welcome.

All feedback is appreciated. I know plumbing has issues with sometimes not being worth it, taking too long and being too spacious. If that is your feedback, please accompany it with a suggestion to fix it.

I haven't had a lot of time to work on code, but I generally try to at least somewhat maintain plumbing whenever I can.

Future plans (take with a grain of salt)
Plumbing Fase 2: Fluid physics, so you can drown in meth and swim in an actual pool of water
Plumbing Fase 3: Plumbing station. Imagine a station completely submerged in water. You can swim around it, shoot assistants with floaties from a boat, dive into the depths and fight actual normal carp. Never again worry about dying from coldmos when you can instead be blasted by a kiloton of water when trying to use the airlocks. Atmospheric technicians would be replaced with plumbing technicians; this is the endgame of plumbing
TheFinalPotato
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: LemonInTheDark

Re: Plumbing Feedback

Post by TheFinalPotato » #595490

I'm normally quite against fluid simulation, since it's pretty much just atmos 2.0, and I don't want someone to put the same amount of energy I have on fixing fluidcode 4 years from now
My ancestors are smiling at me, Imperials. Can you say the same?
Time-Green
Code Maintainer

Post by Time-Green » #595513

TheFinalPotato wrote:I'm normally quite against fluid simulation, since it's pretty much just atmos 2.0, and I don't want someone to put the same amount of energy I have on fixing fluidcode 4 years from now
What makes you think this is a democracy and what makes you think I have enough attention span and skill to go through with it?
TheFinalPotato
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: LemonInTheDark

Post by TheFinalPotato » #595514

Believe in the me that believes in you
My ancestors are smiling at me, Imperials. Can you say the same?
PwntQ
Byond Username: PwntQ

Post by PwntQ » #595579

Spoiler:
This is feedback on the changes to plumbing and the reaction chambers, specifically and only the inputs removal. Above is the setup required to make meth (chem acclimator and reaction chamber got blown by someone setting the temp high) with the new plumbing changes made on the March 3rd changelog.

Taking away the ability to set the specific inputs to reaction chambers feels like needless complication to the already big setup that is plumbing. It doesn't make it any harder, just more tedious as you now have to add extra steps. It also forces you to use much more room to do a setup.

With how it was before, it was like a computer network and the reaction chambers were the switches. It allowed for nice, controlled, and precise chemical inputs and combinations.

With the new way it is, you have to make sure to separate duct systems or use the new chem filter. Then to ensure you're getting the correct amount out of a reaction chamber and down the line into another in the right ratio (important in any chem that has a precursor that is not 1:1 during creation) you need to use a splitter and a disposer. If you're unable to set up ratios right then you have to use the new automatic buffer. What was once one step has turned into 2-3 extra ones, each of which require more space and uses up Plumbing constructor ammo (granted all you have to do is scrounge up metal to refill it.) While I haven't played with the chem filter yet, to do a oxi/saly healing pill mix already took about half of the plumbing area before and I'd imagine it would take even more now. There is no functionality added that was not there or needed before with this change.

TLDR: This has, in my opinion, not introduced anything of value and only serves to add extra steps. I can find no pros to this change, only cons
Time-Green
Code Maintainer

Post by Time-Green » #595586

The reaction chamber allowed for mostly braindead setups because it was foolproof. While I do not oppose it’s picking mechanic returned as a temporary bandaid, it does not belong in future plumbing.

But yes, future plumbing isn’t here yet.
I see two options before me:
1. wait for minichem, which would give plumbing infinite space
2. Combine the bufferers and the reaction chambers old ratio controle. You’d be able to set amounts to react, but you will need to have filtered it prior. Obviously this would also be spacious which is something plumbing always returns to. hmmm

I’ll try to free up some time this weekend to either do ‘2’ or at least temporarily restore it’s filtering ability (unless minichem drops tomorrow, but honestly I dont think anyones working on it and it’s just oranges and the voices in his head).

I really appreciate your calm and collected feedback, we don’t get that a lot. I’ll try to keep it fun, and I do have big plans I want to get to eventually (not just waterstation memes)
PwntQ
Byond Username: PwntQ

Post by PwntQ » #595729

Speaking for myself, prefer option 2.

As it is I don't see myself using plumbing besides making space lube. Personally i'd rather see some work done on hooking up medipen refillers to plumbing, as right now you can't actually use them (the refiller fills up but you can't craft empty medipens to refill it with)
Time-Green
Code Maintainer

Post by Time-Green » #596032

PwntQ wrote:Speaking for myself, prefer option 2.

As it is I don't see myself using plumbing besides making space lube. Personally i'd rather see some work done on hooking up medipen refillers to plumbing, as right now you can't actually use them (the refiller fills up but you can't craft empty medipens to refill it with)
This PR is currently up: https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/57855
I'm partially reverting the reaction chamber for the time being, like it used to be