1984 strikes again peanut

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
Fishimun
Byond Username: Fishimun

1984 strikes again peanut

Post by Fishimun » #613196

MMMiracles
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: MMMiracles
Github Username: MMMiracles

Re: 1984 strikes again peanut

Post by MMMiracles » #613204

have you tried not saying it
Spoiler:
Hints:
------
Submitted by: sandstorm

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
then say "your cute" then push enter,wait until they say somthing back if they
don't go for another.
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #613205

If you're using slurs as an insult, the implication is that the insult is being called a member of that (perceived) inferior community

The n-word is a slur against black people. If you went around saying "The captain is a fucking black person" and then admitted that you were using "black person" as an insult, then that's bigotry and would be equally bannable.

There's no argument around this, Flatulent can't see the connection and walked into it repeatedly.

Your personal de-sensitization to the word has no bearing on it's consequences
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
terranaut
Byond Username: Terranaut

Post by terranaut » #613206

should've called him a faggot instead
[🅲 1] [🆄 1] [🅼 1]

Rohen_Tahir
Byond Username: Rohen Tahir

Post by Rohen_Tahir » #613209

terranaut wrote:should've called him a faggot instead
Not allowed either, use "retard" instead.
Flatulent
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: FlatulentIndustrialist

Post by Flatulent » #613210

MMMiracles wrote:have you tried not saying it
hey nigger, goonstation is two blocks down
Stickymayhem wrote:The n-word is a slur against black people. If you went around saying "The captain is a fucking black person" and then admitted that you were using "black person" as an insult, then that's bigotry and would be equally bannable.
captain wasn’t black
you’re once again implying that i think of black people as being inferior to me, please kindly stop doing that.
Mothblocks, winter 2020, “successfully” preventing bagil death with relevant data wrote:You seem to be under the fallacy that reinforcing that Bagil is a TDM shithole where you must carry bolas and spears on you at all times, while looking for the next valid to hunt down is a positive change to the server. I don't. The data suggests other people don't.
imsxz wrote:I give up there’s too many furries
cacogen wrote:i asked oranges how often he plays and he deleted the post
cybersaber101 wrote:Welp, you guys let a terrymin become a headmin, thousand years of darkness.
Vekter wrote:I jerk off Nist a bit too much but he's honestly one of the best silicon players on the server. B.O.R.G.O. is also pretty good.
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #613211

Flatulent wrote:
Stickymayhem wrote:The n-word is a slur against black people. If you went around saying "The captain is a fucking black person" and then admitted that you were using "black person" as an insult, then that's bigotry and would be equally bannable.
captain wasn’t black
you’re once again implying that i think of black people as being inferior to me, please kindly stop doing that.
As long as you keep using blackness as an insult, you're implying black people are inferior to you, and the person you're insulting should stop being one or acting like one.

I don't care what you personally think, your magic mindspace isn't a factor in this.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #613212

Flatulent wrote:you’re once again implying that i think of black people as being inferior to me, please kindly stop doing that.
Sticky once implied I was racist because I made a joke about Measurehead from Disco Elysium. I don't think he's going to stop implying you're racist anytime soon.
► Show Spoiler
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #613214

Rule 11 is pretty explicitly not a ban on words, if there was no reference to people of color (apart from the word itself depending how you view said word) then I don’t think it’s a problem unless there’s another piece being missed?

Why anyone would do that knowing admins look to btfo you if you say words like that in either ic or ooc is beyond me. Literally setting yourself up for failure because of your first amendment rights you probably don’t have because you’re a euro :-)
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
terranaut

Post by terranaut » #613215

Stickymayhem wrote:
Flatulent wrote:
captain wasn’t black
As long as you keep using blackness as an insult, you're implying black people are inferior to you, and the person you're insulting should stop being one or acting like one.

I don't care what you personally think, your magic mindspace isn't a factor in this.
why is yours?
[🅲 1] [🆄 1] [🅼 1]

Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #613217

terranaut wrote:
Stickymayhem wrote:
Flatulent wrote:
captain wasn’t black

why is yours?
I thought you were a fan of being dominated by an unjust hierarchy
Flatulent
Forum Soft Banned

Post by Flatulent » #613219

Cobby wrote:Rule 11 is pretty explicitly not a ban on words, if there was no reference to people of color (apart from the word itself depending how you view said word) then I don’t think it’s a problem unless there’s another piece being missed?

Why anyone would do that knowing admins look to btfo you if you say words like that in either ic or ooc is beyond me. Literally setting yourself up for failure because of your first amendment rights you probably don’t have because you’re a euro :-)
if admins wanted me to permanently leave they could just ask for it
Mothblocks, winter 2020, “successfully” preventing bagil death with relevant data wrote:You seem to be under the fallacy that reinforcing that Bagil is a TDM shithole where you must carry bolas and spears on you at all times, while looking for the next valid to hunt down is a positive change to the server. I don't. The data suggests other people don't.
cybersaber101 wrote:Welp, you guys let a terrymin become a headmin, thousand years of darkness.
Vekter wrote:I jerk off Nist a bit too much but he's honestly one of the best silicon players on the server. B.O.R.G.O. is also pretty good.
Flatulent
Forum Soft Banned

Post by Flatulent » #613220

Stickymayhem wrote:I don't care what you personally think, your magic mindspace isn't a factor in this.
Your opinion is equally irrelevant, having purple name doesn’t let you decide what is truth and what isn’t
You only have an input on policy and even then your word isn’t final. Thus far you only stated a factually incorrect opinion and said that arguements against it don’t exist, so I will cease responding to you on this matter as you’re obviously not interested in a having a discussion, just dropping your fifty cents here and putting your head so deep inside your ass that JannieLink stops getting a cellular connection because of all the layers of lead accumulated in your body over the years of drinking poor quality water.
Rohen_Tahir

Post by Rohen_Tahir » #613222

Flatulent wrote:
captain wasn’t black
user was banned for this post
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #613224

Flatulent wrote:
Cobby wrote:Rule 11 is pretty explicitly not a ban on words, if there was no reference to people of color (apart from the word itself depending how you view said word) then I don’t think it’s a problem unless there’s another piece being missed?

Imagine being so mortally attuned to the n-word that you can't physically separate yourself from it even to prevent your own demise. You are slur embodied: the nebulous spirits of a million freedom fighters raging against the slurchine drifting into oblivion.

One more soldier dies in the culture war, tossed into the mass grave of political correctness
Omni
Byond Username: Omni44

Post by Omni » #613226

Should have called them coon.
Fishimun

Post by Fishimun » #613227

Rohen_Tahir wrote:
what about the mentally ill???
Rohen_Tahir

Post by Rohen_Tahir » #613229

Fishimun wrote:
Rohen_Tahir wrote:
If you're mentally disabled and don't want to be called a retard, you can simply enable.
terranaut

Post by terranaut » #613230

Stickymayhem wrote:
Flatulent wrote:

Imagine being so mortally attuned to the n-word that you can't physically separate yourself from it even to prevent your own demise. You are slur embodied: the nebulous spirits of a million freedom fighters raging against the slurchine drifting into oblivion.

One more soldier dies in the culture war, tossed into the mass grave of political correctness
whos more mortally attuned to a word
the guy who just picks it randomly from his "things i call idiots on the internet" box or the guy who goes into a frothing rage about it as if he'd been just shot with a gun
[🅲 1] [🆄 1] [🅼 1]

Flatulent
Forum Soft Banned

Post by Flatulent » #613231

Rohen_Tahir wrote:
Fishimun wrote:
Rohen_Tahir wrote:
If you're mentally disabled and don't want to be called a retard, you can simply enable.
skill issue
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #613233

terranaut wrote:
Stickymayhem wrote:
Flatulent wrote:

whos more mortally attuned to a word
the guy who just picks it randomly from his "things i call idiots on the internet" box or the guy who goes into a frothing rage about it as if he'd been just shot with a gun
You make me frothier than a frappe babe
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #613234

Kudos for iain, but with naloac as headmin I don’t really see this being upheld.
[this space reserved]
Flatulent
Forum Soft Banned

Post by Flatulent » #613235

wesoda25 wrote:Kudos for iain, but with naloac as headmin I don’t really see this being upheld.
shitmins stick together
Fishimun

Post by Fishimun » #613236

Flatulent wrote:
wesoda25 wrote:Kudos for iain, but with naloac as headmin I don’t really see this being upheld.
shitmins stick together
stop violating peanut ettiquete, go back to your appeal
Flatulent
Forum Soft Banned

Post by Flatulent » #613237

its probably the last time im posting here anyway let me be
Istoprocent1
Byond Username: istoprocent

Post by Istoprocent1 » #613244

Spoiler:
11. Bigotry is not allowed.
Intentionally seeking to demean others due to their actual or perceived race, sex, gender, orientation or the like is not tolerated.
It is not our goal to create or enforce a list of banned words and instead our goal to eject bigotry from the community. Enforcement will be less PC based and more common sense based with that goal in mind.
The above rule applies to ALL OOC bigotry, even when expressed in IC. There is no racism in 2561, just species-ism, There is no homophobia, just xenophiliapobia, etc.
Admins are encouraged to use rule 1 to deal with instances where """IC""" bigotry is excessive or designed as a mask for ooc bigotry.
Common sense should apply - was flatulent trying to be malicious and intentionally seek to demean others or is flatulent a closet bigot? Most likely not.
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #613247

Flatulent wrote:
shitmins stick together
=\
[this space reserved]
Flatulent
Forum Soft Banned

Post by Flatulent » #613254

Istoprocent1 wrote:
Spoiler:
Intentionally seeking to demean others due to their actual or perceived race, sex, gender, orientation or the like is not tolerated.
It is not our goal to create or enforce a list of banned words and instead our goal to eject bigotry from the community. Enforcement will be less PC based and more common sense based with that goal in mind.
The above rule applies to ALL OOC bigotry, even when expressed in IC. There is no racism in 2561, just species-ism, There is no homophobia, just xenophiliapobia, etc.
Admins are encouraged to use rule 1 to deal with instances where """IC""" bigotry is excessive or designed as a mask for ooc bigotry.
Common sense should apply - was flatulent trying to be malicious and intentionally seek to demean others or is flatulent a closet bigot? Most likely not.
I don’t actually know what demean means but if that means insult yeah i guess i was but not on any criteria, just because i dislike the person and their actions
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #613256

Flatulent wrote:

im no scientist but judging by the ban reason it looks like they want you to just not say the n word or theyre going to not let you play on the server. Again, its pretty blatant the stance some admins take on the issue so if youre surprised at this point, especially as a forum girl, then idk what to tell you. Its not even a "read between the lines" ordeal, a ban for doing X is a pretty strong notion they dont want you playing if you continue to do X.

I dont even agree with the ban (as its currently presented) lol.
Flatulent
Forum Soft Banned

Post by Flatulent » #613257

its a note appeal cobby
if they want me to no longer say the n word they could maybe make a policy against it instead of singling me out and giving me a note for it.
terranaut

Post by terranaut » #613258

Flatulent wrote:its a note appeal cobby
if they want me to no longer say the n word they could maybe make a policy against it instead of singling me out and giving me a note for it.
That wouldn't fly with the host though who added this rule himself but recently pointed out he's unsure if it was a good idea because of retardmins abusing it like they are
[🅲 1] [🆄 1] [🅼 1]

kinnebian
Byond Username: Kinnebian

Post by kinnebian » #613259

writes entire novels to explain how using the nword was okay, christ
respect (let him do his thing)
Flatulent
Forum Soft Banned

Post by Flatulent » #613260

when im written a novel to tell me how writing nword isnt okay, im compelled to put my writing skills to a test
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #613261

as a note, yeah it seems pretty inline with the rules so unless theres some sort of "you cant say the n word because thats line toeing bigotry even if you dont say it to a black person ic or ooc" rationale dont see how thats coolio either. Im not sure how you can line toe the rule, you're either expressing bigotry or not.

Im aware of what they could/should do hence why I disagree with the (not)ban, im just saying its quite obvious the stance people have on it so you cant be surprised you got the prize you were looking for.
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #613262

the real big brain policy is to ban it purely because it lets you get rid of all the people who are incapable of or outright refuse to comply with a simple request that costs them nothing for half an hour of their life
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #613264

Screemonster wrote:the real big brain policy is to ban it purely because it lets you get rid of all the people who are incapable of or outright refuse to comply with a simple request that costs them nothing for half an hour of their life
But that would imply that the people who screech about not being able to say the n-word all the time aren't our most important, valuable players when we all know bigotry directly corresponds with being super chill and fun to play video games with!
Flatulent
Forum Soft Banned

Post by Flatulent » #613265

Stickymayhem wrote:
Screemonster wrote:the real big brain policy is to ban it purely because it lets you get rid of all the people who are incapable of or outright refuse to comply with a simple request that costs them nothing for half an hour of their life
But that would imply that the people who screech about not being able to say the n-word all the time aren't our most important, valuable players when we all know bigotry directly corresponds with being super chill and fun to play video games with!
sticky you don’t play the only videogame that matters here.
Istoprocent1
Byond Username: istoprocent

Post by Istoprocent1 » #613266

Flatulent wrote:
Istoprocent1 wrote:
Spoiler:
I don’t actually know what demean means but if that means insult yeah i guess i was but not on any criteria, just because i dislike the person and their actions
demean - cause a severe loss in the dignity of and respect for (someone or something).

It means that one would have to go above and beyond just a random slur.
IkeTG
Byond Username: LizardDreams

Post by IkeTG » #613267

I don't get the hype about George Orwell's 1984. What about the 1983 other books?
bastardblaster
Byond Username: BastardBlaster

Post by bastardblaster » #613268

"jan nie"

Omni
Byond Username: Omni44

Post by Omni » #613269

All in all it seems like everyone would be in much more sane state of mind if you just beaned few bad words outright and moved along (or decided not to and never return to that topic again), instead of this weird-ass blanket policy that gives every admin completely arbitrary ability to police you and throws everyone into endless spiral of weaponised retardation debates like the one here. As much as I appreciate MSO looking for any sort of middle ground and presumably taking Sticky's toys away from him.
It'd naturally upset huge bit of people but end goal seems to be driving them away anyways, so at least that would get done swiftly. Half of the people would go their way, other half would stay. The half that stays would get "T", and rest would have the "G" (since they need it far more!). Everyone would end up happy(ish).
Or neither party would get either because, lets face facts, nobody here is associated with /tg/ stuff in any way, and(even more importantly) neither oldfaggets nor newfaggets from /tg/ want to have anything to do with this place.
Kendrickorium
Byond Username: Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #613270

WE MUST PROTECT LITTLE BLACK TIMMY FROM MEAN WORDS ON THE INTERNET

this planet is doomed
MortoSasye
Byond Username: MortoSasye

Post by MortoSasye » #613271

Kendrickorium wrote:WE MUST PROTECT LITTLE BLACK TIMMY FROM MEAN WORDS ON THE INTERNET

this planet is doomed
Now this is something sad to see from someone I respect
Bella Rouge; no, it's not Rogue
NSFW:
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #613274

If slurs are banned, just modify Rule 11 to say slurs are banned. Yeesh.

All the people piping up to say "It's not hard to not say slurs" can stuff it. Of course it isn't hard to not say slurs (I don't think I've ever said one at any point during my time here). But the rule explicitly says that it's not a slur ban. That's why Rule 11 is causing so many headaches and disagreements.
► Show Spoiler
Kendrickorium
Byond Username: Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #613277

"The part that fascinates me, Jennifer, is the part where you assume your respect is something I might be craving. What happened exactly, to give you the impression that people you've never met might care about having your respect?"

if you dont like something, ignore it. this world is full of nothing but thumb sucking babies these days, and it gets worse every single year.
humanity was not meant to have social media or be connected this closely.
cSeal
Byond Username: O0cyann0o

Post by cSeal » #613278

terranaut wrote: That wouldn't fly with the host though
Lol
► Show Spoiler
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: MMMiracles
Github Username: MMMiracles

Post by MMMiracles » #613279

Flatulent wrote:
i'm just saying i've played on and off since 2013 and i don't have a single note about using it

have you tried not using it
Spoiler:
Hints:
------
Submitted by: sandstorm

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
then say "your cute" then push enter,wait until they say somthing back if they
don't go for another.
Omega_DarkPotato
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Omega_DarkPotato

Post by Omega_DarkPotato » #613280

I dunno about this note

I personally don't have any respect for people who choose to throw out slurs in-game and as such haven't ever
I've used the funny gamer word in discord in politics-containment more than a couple times but not directly against other people, mainly as a low-quality shitpost
would I give a shit if it got completely banned? nah
is it better for the community if it got completely banned? probably yeah
am I worried that THEY (1984 enforcers) (people who HATE fun) will come after "retard" or any other fun six-letter word if the gamer word gets banned? no, slippery slopes are for slides not logical arguments

on the other hand
it's expressly not a word ban and flatulent is pretty steadfast in just using it like retard or anything else, despite how stupid I think the use of le gamer word is
remove the note, amend the rule if you want ig
Super Aggro Crag wrote:This is what u get when u let people into your community
play opus: echo of starsong
I'm an admin, typically on /tg/station Sybil. If you've got anything you'd like to say about me, my adminning, or my decisions, please comment in my admin feedback thread!
Flatulent
Forum Soft Banned

Post by Flatulent » #613282

Omega_DarkPotato wrote: remove the note, amend the rule if you want ig
This is basically what I want. I don’t like when out of nowhere I get a note for something that isn’t consistent with what i’ve been told for months about rule 11.
Anuv
Byond Username: Anuv

Post by Anuv » #613283

Omega_DarkPotato wrote: it's expressly not a word ban and flatulent is pretty steadfast in just using it like retard or anything else
So why wouldn't he just use retard then?

Oh right because it doesn't have the same edgy weight as the n-word and no racial implication. What if he called the captain a stupid spic or a kike? It's the same thing right? Who cares haha.