Progression Wizard(s)

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Progression Wizard(s)

Post by Shadowflame909 » #626102

The Idea
There I was, being shadowflame909. I was bored and started imagining the inevitable Wizard Removal PR. A heated discussion of course, but the removers won the battle. Simply because Wizard is a very self-centered gamemode, where the wizard hogs the spotlight and is the only crucial influence on the round! This had me thinking of a way to save the mode, maybe slow down the wizard's influence a bit, and have it progress like a normal shift until the climax. Thus, I remembered that we already had an antag that did this. Progression Traitors! Oh yeah, with some finetuning this should be easy.

The Pitch
Progression Wizard(s) will involve a normal crewmember on station awakening to magical talent. In their memory banks, (antag datum) They remember the wizard federation sending them a message. "Spread Magic to this station, and you'll join our rankings." So, our antagonist, weak and scratching the surface of their potential, have a job to do. They must convince a decent chunk of the crew that magic exists. The more crewmembers they convince, the stronger their power grows. Think of Hivemind but with a more obvious and friendly (for now) hiveminder. From the start, they can choose 1-2 robeless spells to begin on their mission. These spells will have quite the CD's, (starting off as inferior spells) But the more they use them, the stronger they grow. (As if they invested more points into them.) This crewmember must use his magic in front of crewmembers, and every time the crew sees it. They'll slowly but surely gain stronger beliefs that magic might actually be real. Most likely a positive moodlet from this, or a negative one if they're someone who would generally be opposed to magic being on their station. (Like a command staff member, or security.) After using it in front of a crewmember several times, they will become a believer. (No antag datum, just a positive moodlet that says they think magic is real.) More believers means more points to use magic. A dead believer makes the wizard lose the points, or whatever spell in their mind they spent for those points. So they can't murderbone just yet.

The Downer
The savior as some people call them, "Boring", "No Fun Allowed" as others call them. The one to eradicate these delusions of "magic" shall be our psychologist. By simply being 1 tile away from a believer, they can slowly deconvert these non-antags. Because magic isn't real. It is a faster deconversion if they're under drugs, or are calmed down like being buckled into a bed. Saving the day, and ruining the wiz of running wild. The crew will get a tiny negative moodlet thanks to his effort, that says magic isn't real. It's an arms race, and the psychologist is snapping the crew back to reality. (They also start off with the Athaumasia trauma. And are role-blocked from being wiznerd.)

The Climax
At a set amount of time, (probably 30 minutes) the wizard no longer needs to keep the crew alive to be believers. The believers are permanently stuck believing, and the downers are permanently stuck downing. Now they can reveal their true intentions, and murderbone or complete that really simple objective that they get due to wizard powers making everything a breeze. They also gain access to powerful spells.

Security Team
Due to this wizard not joining the wizard federation yet, since they're simply a fledgling. The security team does not have a reason to jail and murder them. Though, if they see them murdering others by buying fireball for some reason. They may treat them like an antag under normal escalation. Maybe get some holy melons from botany, or keep the chaplain nearby just in case.

TLDR: Progression Wizard involves a crewmember using their weak robeless magic over and over around the crew. Once they do it enough the crew gets good moodlets that says they believe in magic. While the wizard gets points. The psychologist can remove these moodlets, and therefore remove the wizard's spells/power. At the 30 minute mark, the real show begins and the non-antags stay locked in their beliefs. Since wiz is a weak obvious lame-o for the majority of the round. They are subject to normal escalation and are not an Enemy of Command until they start acting like it.
► Show Spoiler
The_Silver_Nuke
Byond Username: The_Silver_Nuke

Re: Progression Wizard(s)

Post by The_Silver_Nuke » #626103

I'd only be okay with this if it was added as an additional gamemode, because I don't think it's worthy to replace regular wizard (not that it needs replacing, the role is fine as is)

Just split them off into two, one is a grandmaster wizard and the other is like, newly awakened
The Wrench
Byond Username: The Wrench

Post by The Wrench » #626128

Maybe I’m bitter, but for this to even remotely work, LRP security and validhunter culture would have to change dramatically. Being required to out yourself to the majority of the crew with very little to no defensive skills will lead to you getting beheaded and round removed by Timmy greyshit
Jonathan Gupta wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:32 pm all you godamn do is whine and complain come up with ideas, stop bitching for christs sake.
Flatulent wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:02 am You and anyone who supports the rule 3 as described by mso is simply put not an lrp player

Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #626134

They wouldn't be valid and subject to normal escalation until they start murdering crew and murder is disincentivized until the 30 minute mark

It flips the script by having the antag be seemingly cooperative before they do any major activity.
► Show Spoiler
Jonathan Gupta
Byond Username: BallastMonsterGnarGnar

Post by Jonathan Gupta » #626144

Adam Klein wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:05 pm Maybe I’m bitter, but for this to even remotely work, LRP security and validhunter culture would have to change dramatically. Being required to out yourself to the majority of the crew with very little to no defensive skills will lead to you getting beheaded and round removed by Timmy greyshit
all you talk about on forums is tiding validhunters and how lrp sucks, please find something new to get mad about.

this idea kinda shmucks.
Living God

Extraordinary Person

The Wrench

Post by The Wrench » #626151

Shid and coom Gupta it’s a valid criticism
Jonathan Gupta wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:32 pm all you godamn do is whine and complain come up with ideas, stop bitching for christs sake.
Flatulent wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:02 am You and anyone who supports the rule 3 as described by mso is simply put not an lrp player

Itseasytosee2me
Byond Username: Rectification

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #626156

Sounds like it would suffer a lot of the same design flaws devil did. IE exposing yourself to the crew as an antagonist in order to progress. Cool idea though, we could use an antag variety renaissance.
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
Notgonnabreaktherule
Byond Username: Notgonnabreaktherules2

Post by Notgonnabreaktherule » #626176

like silvernuke said, i think this'll only be a good antag if it's separate from regular wiz, would also give the psychologist a use other than being a source of roundstart drugs
resident european on basil
► Show Spoiler
do not take books from me
Jonathan Gupta

Post by Jonathan Gupta » #626178

Adam Klein wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:23 pm Shid and coom Gupta it’s a valid criticism
It's not valid criticism when all you do is bitch and complain,

but it would be good if there was 2 types of wizzies(Wiz stealth progression)
Living God

Extraordinary Person

The Wrench

Post by The Wrench » #626198

I’m always in favor of more fun antagonists

cocothegogo
Byond Username: Cocothegog0

Post by cocothegogo » #626363

wiz but less fun knowing the coders I give it 6 months till this is implemented
GamerAndYeahMick
Byond Username: GamerAndYeahMick

Post by GamerAndYeahMick » #626493

not everything needs to be made so that it does less damage early in the round, the thing with prog traitors is that traitors are frequent, at the start of the round and capable of doing a lot of damage. The issue with wiz is not the same. I would be against this idea and I think there is NOTHING wrong with wiz in its current state other than people dont like getting owned
Mailbox
Byond Username: Mailbox

Post by Mailbox » #626502

This would not work because botany would just make holy melons and wizard useless.
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #626505

Mailbox wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:17 am This would not work because botany would just make holy melons and wizard useless.
That would be a devious meta indeed. But just like the crematorium for lings, a smart progression wiz would go and destroy all watermelon seeds before they make themselves known
GamerAndYeahMick wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:27 am not everything needs to be made so that it does less damage early in the round, the thing with prog traitors is that traitors are frequent, at the start of the round and capable of doing a lot of damage. The issue with wiz is not the same. I would be against this idea and I think there is NOTHING wrong with wiz in its current state other than people dont like getting owned
My hope is that by them being weaker at the start, there'd be a lot more of them. And with the versatility of robeless spells, even weak starter progression wizards wouldn't be something to scoff at. Mindswap or a well placed forcewall could make the shift a lot more troublesome then a traitor could
► Show Spoiler
GamerAndYeahMick
Byond Username: GamerAndYeahMick

Post by GamerAndYeahMick » #626506

Shadowflame909 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:27 am
Mailbox wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:17 am This would not work because botany would just make holy melons and wizard useless.
That would be a devious meta indeed. But just like the crematorium for lings, a smart progression wiz would go and destroy all watermelon seeds before they make themselves known
GamerAndYeahMick wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:27 am not everything needs to be made so that it does less damage early in the round, the thing with prog traitors is that traitors are frequent, at the start of the round and capable of doing a lot of damage. The issue with wiz is not the same. I would be against this idea and I think there is NOTHING wrong with wiz in its current state other than people dont like getting owned
My hope is that by them being weaker at the start, there'd be a lot more of them. And with the versatility of robeless spells, even weak starter progression wizards wouldn't be something to scoff at. Mindswap or a well placed forcewall could make the shift a lot more troublesome then a traitor could
I just prefer it how it is now sorry
The Wrench

Post by The Wrench » #626751

Again, the way valid culture works, being forced to out yourself for power means any tider with a stolen baton will click, and then remove you from life

Jonathan Gupta

Post by Jonathan Gupta » #626753

Adam Klein wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:18 pm Again, the way valid culture works, being forced to out yourself for power means any tider with a stolen baton will click, and then remove you from life
all you godamn do is whine and complain come up with ideas, stop bitching for christs sake.
Living God

Extraordinary Person

The Wrench

Post by The Wrench » #626754

It’s an objective truth, if you can’t handle that this is a game and people play to win that’s on you buddy