How, what and why to code in BYOND.
- Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:14 am
- Byond Username: Rectification
- Location: Where the north wind blows
I only started playing on the tail end of clock cult's life span, and only ever got to play two rounds of it (I was a cultist both times.)
What were the main flaws? Why was it deemed unfixable? How fun was it?
- Sincerely itseasytosee
True insight is not see into the souls of others, but to see within your own.
- Joined: Mon May 04, 2015 1:31 pm
- Byond Username: CPTANT
There were so many versions of it. I think it actually was best when it was just a cult variant with different gear/spells.
Screemonster wrote:how the fuck are you supposed to RP with a grille
- Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:42 pm
- Byond Username: Nabski
- Github Username: Nabski89
- Reddit Username: Nabski
- Location: TN
The number of different resources you needed to gather with no way to control what was generated meant you needed to set up giant resource farms which ended up best being done as a monster base in space instead of trying to find somewhere on the station. Some of those things got fixed or removed but by then it was too late.
Main version 2: the mandatory round end at 50 minutes would be either too short or too long. I found the hacking APCs part really fun, and the base building OKAY but the level of metaness required for a good assault defense got tedious after a while. Same sort of reason blob went from being a game mode to a side thing, if it happens often enough it gets bad
- Code Maintainer
- Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:16 pm
- Byond Username: Optimumtact
- Github Username: optimumtact
- Reddit Username: msolikesass
- Location: #CHATSHITGETBANGED
Also construction/ deconstruction was not a particularly engaging mechanic and the crew didnt' have access to large amounts of destructive explosives because thsoe would ruin the normal rounds
- Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:18 pm
- Byond Username: Shadowflame909
- Reddit Username: Shadowmist909
- Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here
Crew didn't like being forced through portals to go to war with reebee
I think the head coder for it admin abusing infinite resources as blob was what got the mode finally scratched though.
All in all it was fun, and the clock cult dust traps have returned as a maint mechanic. Now if I could get spear traps back somehow, the soul would fully return.
- In-Game Admin
- Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:25 pm
- Byond Username: Vekter
- Location: Fucking around with the engine.
What it basically came down to was that Clock Cult required a gameplay style that doesn't really feel great in SS13 and was notoriously hard to balance. We would've likely kept it, but the person who was maintaining it quit coding and nobody else wanted to take it over.
I kind of wish we'd bring it back as its original variation (Cult but with a different god) but I get why that's not an option. It's a shame - pretty much every sprite that was made for Clock Cult was an absolute banger. I mean, look at this.
- Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:19 pm
- Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
- Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone
cult with the construction materials to cast the spells was the best dont at me.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
- Site Admin
- Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:02 pm
- Byond Username: PKPenguin321
- Github Username: PKPenguin321
- Location: U S A, U S A, U S A
it always felt kind of railroaded. where other antags sort of do their own sabotage and things play out in an emergent and unique way, clock cult had the same requirements to set things up and the same forced base defense that would abruptly end the round the same way every time. they even forced it on a unique separate dimension which i think was a big misstep. compare that to Gangs planting and defending a dominator or regular cult scrawling and defending a Narsie rune which is at least unique in the sense that it will typically be placed in a different spot each time
Users browsing this forum: No registered users