Drone Dispenser.

A place to record your ideas for the game.

Drone dispensers?

Yes
74%
No
26%

Total votes: 27

Falamazeer
Byond Username: Wootanon

Drone Dispenser.

Post by Falamazeer » #87743

People have wanted a way back into the round since the game started, we got a pretty good method now, drones, and when they were fairly new I made an idea thread about a drone dispenser that didn't require outside help to make them.

It got backed up with people bitching about some of the activities they'd seen drones doing, but that was because it was new, now we as a community have a fairly good understanding of what is and is not acceptable. and the incidents of abuse are few and far between. I say it's time to take the locks off these bad boys and make a drone dispenser somewhere in robotics that any ghost can click and become a drone with. It'll give dead people a way to keep playing if they choose, and hell, sometimes drone is just fun, Just this round I entered as observer hoping to just drone around, but I couldn't no shells. So let's vote on it!
Ham Sammich, beating a dead horse since 2010.
NikNakFlak wrote:....It's true...that is why I removed my forum avatar
lumipharon wrote:ass parasite was pretty meh when I tried it.
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Re: Drone Dispenser.

Post by Scones » #87745

Drones are still just annoying gypsy engineers
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
Falamazeer

Post by Falamazeer » #87746

Would you rather be dead, or an annoying gypsy engineer?
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #87750

Drones (can be) really fun to play and they're at the moment weirdly reliant on the roboticist thinking of it or not. I'd love something like this. Also a great thing to be doing as the bomb cap comes close to being increased.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #87751

Scones wrote:Drones are still just annoying gypsy engineers
New headcanon: Drones possess quarian personalities.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays
Byond Username: ThanatosRa

Post by ThanatosRa » #87907

As long as it's something that still kinda has to be built by R&D. So I can still feel useful for making drones.
my forum gimmick is that no one knows who i am

gender is irrelevant NO UR IRRELEVANT
u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
Falamazeer

Post by Falamazeer » #87915

Well... it's kinda the point for it NOT to be something that has to be R&D, Some rounds nobody bothers, and it's a shame because droneing is such fun.

It's so that there is always a way back in the round after your corpse is spaced/gibbed, or if the cloner is blown up or whatever may happen.
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays
Byond Username: ThanatosRa

Post by ThanatosRa » #87916

Just wanted to remain useful as a roboticist.
my forum gimmick is that no one knows who i am

gender is irrelevant NO UR IRRELEVANT
u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
buttsmcgee
Byond Username: Linked Account

Post by buttsmcgee » #87920

Blooprka was working on making this a reality before he died.

The code for it is already pretty much done too, other than dealing with all the merge conflicts.
https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-station/pull/7527

Being a drone is maximum comfy.
Engineers are slow meatbags that don't have any access.
And engineering borgs are always too busy getting shit on by the crew and walking on eggshells to actually go around fixing/improving things.
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #87990

Yeah, engineering borgs definitely have to worry too much about the crew to ever be brilliant fix-it machines. That's the nature of the asimov lawset, I suppose.

That and the fact they don't have hands, while drones do.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #87995

Why didn't we just port /vg/ drones complete with the derelict spawner instead?

We have this weird aversion to ways for people to respawn yet there is also a strong push against "taking people out of the round"
Cheridan
Byond Username: Cheridan

Post by Cheridan » #88014

Because Remie's from-scratch code was nicer.

Don't need to put them on the derelict, just have them on the station.
/tg/station spriter, admin, and headcoder. Feel free to contact me via PM with questions, concerns, or requests.
Falamazeer

Post by Falamazeer » #88045

Yeah, right on the station where anyone can use it, Again, people ask for thunderdome, space valhalla, and a lot of servers have a way to keep people playing after a real permanent death, Bay with mice, MoMMis or whatever, why don't we? we're the most stable server, we have the technology, can we actually do this?
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #88086

While only tangentially related, we don't have a derelict spawner (or spawners at all) but on Metastation 2 drone shells always spawn on the Russian sign at the derelict.
Meaning on meta 2 people can always join as drones from the moment the round starts.

as I said, only tangentially related, but I thought I'd bring it up.

as for box's derelict? 0 clue about if any spawn there.
Cheridan wrote:Because Remie's from-scratch code was nicer.
*Blushes*
私は完璧
kosmos
Byond Username: Kingofkosmos

Post by kosmos » #88092

Why not just have 4 or so drone shells ready at round-start Robotics and let the rest be built by Roboticists so they can feel important and connected to the events of the station? At least that's apparently the reason why we don't have midround-joining cyborgs or AI (basically the same as cyborg/AI dispensing).
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #88129

Because drones can make more drones, so 4 drone shells = unending wave of all-access engineers
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #88170

Assuming players join that unending wave in the first place.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Alex Crimson
Byond Username: Dazbuzz

Post by Alex Crimson » #88198

I liked the idea Paprika had. Some kind of Drone Fabricator in a special area walled-off from the rest of the station, only accessible via pipes. Or just put it in Robotics. But it would spawn shells every few minutes and could be hacked by the AI to spawn syndie drones.
Cuboos
Byond Username: Cuboos

Post by Cuboos » #88435

This would be great for those shit heads that like to just destroy drones because "muh valid". No more waiting for robotics to make more.
/TG/ First and Only Sound guy
The only Dev unanimously loved least hated.
Falamazeer

Post by Falamazeer » #88456

Cuboos wrote:This would be great for those shit heads that like to just destroy drones because "muh valid". No more waiting for robotics to make more.
Or wear you like a hat, so you can feel all the joys of running around in the square around the bridge and grav generator non stop.

Been done this way twice on separate rounds, Call me paranoid, but it feels like it was the same guy both times, as that's literately all he did until it was time to go to the shuttle. anyone else felt the joys of hat-titude?
Cuboos
Byond Username: Cuboos

Post by Cuboos » #88484

Falamazeer wrote:
Cuboos wrote:This would be great for those shit heads that like to just destroy drones because "muh valid". No more waiting for robotics to make more.
Or wear you like a hat, so you can feel all the joys of running around in the square around the bridge and grav generator non stop.

Been done this way twice on separate rounds, Call me paranoid, but it feels like it was the same guy both times, as that's literately all he did until it was time to go to the shuttle. anyone else felt the joys of hat-titude?
Oh, that's not even the worst for me. i kept getting killed as a drone for repairing hull breaches. These hull breaches were part of some stupid elaborate disposal ride this ass hat was setting up. Kept saying, "stop fixing those, they're there for a reason", quite obviously unaware my laws stated i can not interact with him and i have to take care of the station. I used up several drone bodies for this fucker's pet project.
/TG/ First and Only Sound guy
The only Dev unanimously loved least hated.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #88487

If you're destroying a pet project which someone is repeatedly destroying you for interacting with, you're violating Law 1 to follow Law 3.

Rule of thumb is that if someone picks you up and throws you out, or destroys you, you're involving yourself with his matters.

Oh, and you can't even call them a shitlord for doing it, because the wiki explicitly says to smash drones which are being annoying/in the way
Last edited by Not-Dorsidarf on Sat May 16, 2015 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #88497

No because this is robotics job.
Balut
Byond Username: Balut

Post by Balut » #88512

I support drones on the derelict.

I also support having Space Valhalla instead of drones, though, because those don't actually interact with players.
"Yeah, they're kick-ass robot pilots!" "But they sing and dance!" "They launch from a secret base..." "...that's right under the opera house!"
Sakura Wars
Spoiler:
Malkevin wrote:
No no, I don't want to be surrounded by spergs
An0n3 wrote:
Why are you here then?
http://sam.wileycomputerworks.com/SS13/
iyaerP
Byond Username: IyaerP

Post by iyaerP » #88839

Space Valhalla would also give the TVs in the Maltese Falcon something to watch beyond the occasional admin event. But we should still have some starting drones, so that the engineering minded players can go fix things in death, and the murderboner minded players can go murder in death. That way, everyone wins!