Ban Appeal Forum Rules (READ BEFORE POSTING) [Update 1/21]

If you've received a ban and want it shortened or lifted then post here. Remember to follow the rules!

Moderators: In-Game Game Master, In-Game Head Admins, In-Game Admin, Game Server Operators, TGMC Game Server Operators

Forum rules
Read these board rules before posting or you'll get reprimanded.

Ban appeals without the banning admin's name in the beginning of the subject line will be deleted.
User avatar
Hibbles
 
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:33 pm
Location: United States
Byond Username: HotelBravoLima

Ban Appeal Forum Rules (READ BEFORE POSTING) [Update 1/21]

Postby Hibbles » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:02 pm #284

---JUST TO REITERATE---

The Peanut Policy is STILL in effect.

Please read below for details.

Anyone disregarding that will receive a warning. Repeat offenders will be given section bans.

This is in order to streamline appeals/requests and to not make them a shit fest that people don't want to touch. ~ PAS

---Ban Appeal Details:---

Use this template when posting an appeal:

Post title/subject:
Code: Select all
[<Admin Name>] Player Name - Fluff text

ie:
[antonkr] mcgriffon - sec jobban
[petethegoat] blindinggriffin - bullshit ban
[intigracy] griff4eva - ban evasion missunderstanding

Post Contents:
Code: Select all
[b]BYOND account:[/b] BYOND account
[b]Character name:[/b] Character name at time of ban
[b]Ban type:[/b] Server/Role[s]/OOC/etc
[b]Ban length:[/b] Permanent, 5 days, etc
[b]Ban reason:[/b] Copy this from the server. If this is a server ban, attempt to connect. If it is not a server ban, view your notes with "View Admin Remarks" button under OOC tab in-game. An image is suitable, but do **not** paraphrase or otherwise modify the reason.
[b]Time ban was placed:[/b] Try to get this from the server when you get the ban reason. If it was a note, the note has a timestamp. If it was a server ban, it will also have a timestamp. Both of these times are in UTC.
[b]Server you were playing on when banned:[/b] Server name, eg, Bagil/Sybil/Terry/Event Hall
[b]Round ID in which ban was placed:[/b] Round ID, should be present in ban reason from server. Can be excluded if it cannot be found. Example: 101235
[b]Your side of the story:[/b] Explain what happened in your own words.
[b]Why you think you should be unbanned:[/b] Why should you get this opportunity to return, what value do you bring back to the community? Was your ban unfair? Justify it.
[b]References of good conduct:[/b] If serverbanned and **especially** if permabanned, have you played on other servers during the time you were banned? Name them here, in many cases good references of conduct and character can be crucial to a successful appeal. Otherwise, feel free to remove this portion.

Main FNR forum rules:

1. Global Forum rules apply
2. If you are not directly involved with the appeal (You are the guy who was banned, you saw what happened, you were his victim, etc.) then do not post in the appeal. Repetitive ignoring of this rule will lead to your FNR posting privileges being revoked until further notice
  1. Do not create ban appeals on behalf of others. If the banned person wants to appeal they can do so themselves.
3. You must wait until the end of the round where you got the ban to appeal it, to avoid potential IC in Forum spoilers. We recommend giving yourself time to cool off and make a calm, collected argument, but it's not a requirement.
4. Use the template. Failure to use the template will cause your appeal to take longer to be resolved, and the banning admin can request you to edit your post to include the template before giving a response.
5. A permaban may only be appealed once every 12 months unless stated otherwise by the banning admin or a headmin. Subsequent appeals will be automatically rejected and deleted, and may result in a forum ban if repeated.
6. No image macros, reaction images, memes or videos anywhere in FNR. Any media posted should be screenshots or other evidence directly related to the thread.
7. Try to keep your appeal calm, concise, to the point, and properly formatted. No one likes to read a wall of text, or an angry ragey post. Permaban appeals are encouraged to be longer and more detailed than regular appeals, but remember to use proper formatting.
8. If a thread goes for a week with no activity it will be resolved. If you don't want your thread to go unresolved because of a lack of response then notify admins for a response.
9. If you are appealing a ban from a retired administrator, an active admin may answer at their discretion. The admin taking over should make as much known as soon as they begin investigation.

PLEASE REMEMBER: Withholding information deliberately, in ahelps or FNR, is an excellent way to get ignored, or worse. It's effectively lying. When you say you were 'permabrigged for breaking one wall' and that one wall was the Armory's, then you've denied yourself way better than any of us could manage.


THE PEANUT POLICY:

Adding to/adjusting the definitions so that players can post in a thread regarding something they weren't involved in, IF IT IS TO BRING UP/POINT TO/HIGHLIGHT a rule, precedent, or piece of evidence that was missed that is relevant to the situation.

This does NOT include:
"This happened to me once and I didn't get banned for it" or the reverse "This happened to me once and I got banned for it."
"My opinion is…" or "I feel like…"

This WOULD cover:
"Rule 3 says…"
"These admins have always allowed…"
"Actually in the logs it says…"

This would allow players who are invested in the rules, have the experience, and can conduct themselves well to advocate in threads. Reminder that this applies to uninvolved admins except Headmins.

ebdRules regarding the use of public logs:b/bc

olist/
[*]The content of line must not be modified in any way.
  • This does not apply to adding context (as long as its clear that its added and not part of the original log)
  • Likewise, you are allowed to add formatting or emphasis as long as it does not appear deceptive
[*]Any omissions of in between lines must be clearly marked in-line to the logs along with a brief description giving a rough amount of the lines removed, what they contained, and why they were removed
  • -snip-(500 lines of the clown slipping the hos in the other room removed for being irrelevant)
[*]You must link to the log file you got the logs from to make it easier to validate the context
[*]Air on the side of good faith, Its better to include too many context lines then not enough lines context lines
[*]Expect onlookers to assume bad faith. If you omit details that are later deemed to be important people will assume you did it intentionally. This means doing due diligence when reviewing the logs for related or relevant bits.[/list]
Last edited by capn_monkeypaw on Mon May 25, 2020 8:56 pm, edited 23 times in total.
Reason: Added 2a rule re: making appeals on behalf of others (headmin approved)
RIP



User avatar
Rockdtben
Site Admin
 
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:54 pm
Byond Username: Rockdtben
Github Username: Rockdtben

Re: Ban Appeal Forum Rules (READ BEFORE POSTING)

Postby Rockdtben » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:00 pm #352

There won't be a peanut gallery or stenography thread. Those were used for pure shitposting. If you have an issue with a player please create an actual ban request. If you have an issue with an admin please create an actual admin complaint.
FastDMM Lead: 01/28/2018 - Now || Code Project Lead: 02/01/2014 - 10/07/2014 || G-Admin: 12/29/2013 - 04/04/2015 || T-Admin: 3/29/2013 - 12/29/2013 || Codermin: ? - 3/29/2013 || Started Playing: 6/13/2006

User avatar
elyina
 
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:30 pm
Location: burning in hell for my sins
Byond Username: Elyina

Re: Ban Appeal Forum Rules (READ BEFORE POSTING)

Postby elyina » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:34 am #717

Just want to clarify rule 1 is still in effect even without stenography. We're not going back to the old way where appeals were made near unreadable for those involved because of all the random people butting in.
Image

User avatar
elyina
 
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:30 pm
Location: burning in hell for my sins
Byond Username: Elyina

Re: Ban Appeal Forum Rules (READ BEFORE POSTING)

Postby elyina » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:16 pm #1369

Also, #banbus is still a thing on rizon IRC. Feel free to come there to ask questions about your ban and discuss it with an admin if one is available.
Image

User avatar
Hibbles
 
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:33 pm
Location: United States
Byond Username: HotelBravoLima

Re: Ban Appeal Forum Rules (READ BEFORE POSTING)

Postby Hibbles » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:49 pm #17399

New Ban Appeals subforum policy, which I call the Pasikonik Doctrine:

If you act like a whining, screaming, hyper-aggressive man-child baby over a ban you got on a 2D atmospheric simulator with people, your appeal will be rejected summarily. I don't mean using a naughty word or implying the admin is stupid, I mean throwing a tantrum and being aggro and expecting to put us on the back foot or something. If you have to wonder if you're near the line of this new 'Pasikonik Doctrine', you're over the line. Back up and approach it with a more neutral tone.

It's long been defacto, or shadow, policy that somebody acting like a bitch will get smacked like a bitch, specific rules or no, (that is Rule 1 anyhow) but we're going to codify it here. Just act reasonable and you're fine. You don't have to beg and scrape, just don't demand the banning admin be deadminned and/or call him a fagt. At least in your appeal.

Generally you'd have to be pretty over the top to fall foul of this.

Examples from the Resolved Archives of what constitutes 'over the line' conduct
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=799
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=448
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=806
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1501
More will be added, but this is an excellent way of conducting yourself if you don't want any of the admins to take you seriously, ever.
RIP

User avatar
Hibbles
 
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:33 pm
Location: United States
Byond Username: HotelBravoLima

Re: Ban Appeal Forum Rules (READ BEFORE POSTING)

Postby Hibbles » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:18 pm #21311

GIVEN that we literally have a ban database made out of screws, pine straw, and buffalo hide, IF you find yourself suddenly banned, have legitimately no clue why, or you KNOW the issue was already resolved/you were unbanned but suddenly you're banned again, PLEASE do not make a ban appeal UNTIL AFTER contacting scaredofshadows on IRC's Rizon channel directly regarding the incident, as well as MrStonedOne, the database dude, and, I dunno, #adminbus on IRC Rizon can probably help too. Point is, if it's likely a technical issue, please contact us through other channels than a ban appeal. It's not a big deal, just a simple housekeeping measure we'd greatly appreciate.
RIP

User avatar
MrStonedOne
Host
 
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:56 pm
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Re: Ban Appeal Forum Rules (READ BEFORE POSTING)

Postby MrStonedOne » Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:30 am #23508

Given that some people have decided that the steno rules are free to be ignored; I've decided to up the ante so the speak.

Repetitive ignoring of steno rules will lead to your FNR posting privileges being revoked until further notice
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder


MrStonedOne on Reddit(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord.

[10:55 AM] spookydonut: stonedmc is the work of a criminally insane mad genius

User avatar
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays
 
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:55 am
Byond Username: An0n3

Re: Ban Appeal Forum Rules (READ BEFORE POSTING)

Postby Timbrewolf » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:30 am #56991

THE AN0N3 AMENDMENT IS IN EFFECT

Adding to/adjusting the definitions so that players can post in a thread regarding something they weren't involved in, IF IT IS TO BRING UP/POINT TO/HIGHLIGHT a rule, precedent, or piece of evidence that was missed that is relevant to the situation.

This does NOT include:
"This happened to me once and I didn't get banned for it" or the reverse "This happened to me once and I got banned for it."
"My opinion is…" or "I feel like…"

This WOULD cover:
"Rule 3 says…"
"These admins have always allowed…"
"Actually in the logs it says…"

This would allow players who are invested in the rules, have the experience, and can conduct themselves well to advocate in threads.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno

NSFW:
Image

User avatar
imblyings
 
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:42 pm
Location: >using suit sensors
Byond Username: Ausops

Re: Ban Appeal Forum Rules (READ BEFORE POSTING)

Postby imblyings » Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:46 pm #124661

Anon3's amendment, one of his more lasting achievements, is still in full effect.

I appreciate the fact that players will come across issues or questions regarding policy during a thread and they may be pertinent towards the appeal or request in question. However, discussion regarding these issues should be kept in the policy discussion subforum. One, to centralize policy discussion in a place where people can read them easier since there's less of a guarantee people read each FNR that happens, and second, these discussions are prone to running over several pages long and overwhelming the FNR it came up in. Pertinent rulings and precedents from policy discussions can still be quoted in an FNR.
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.

User avatar
peoplearestrange
Global Moderator
 
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:02 pm
Location: UK
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Re: Ban Appeal Forum Rules (READ BEFORE POSTING)

Postby peoplearestrange » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:51 pm #138169

Bump to reiterate anon3 amendment being still in effect.
/tg/stations' Forum Mother
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment

miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly

WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.

Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.

TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...

NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.

Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!

Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!

Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.

IM TRYING

Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch

Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...


Are you having a stroke

bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing

MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.

PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"

I'm a box

lzimann
 
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:13 am
Byond Username: Lzimann
Github Username: lzimann

Re: Ban Appeal Forum Rules (READ BEFORE POSTING)

Postby lzimann » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:18 pm #234743

Bumping this to note that the Anon3's amendment is still in effect, as it seems many had forgotten about it.

User avatar
MrStonedOne
Host
 
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:56 pm
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Re: Ban Appeal Forum Rules (READ BEFORE POSTING)

Postby MrStonedOne » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:29 am #261483

New rules regarding the use of public logs in ban appeals, ban requests (if ever re-opened) and admin complaints:

  • The content of line must not be modified in any way.
    • This does not apply to adding context (as long as its clear that its added and not part of the original log)
    • Likewise, you are allowed to add formatting or emphasis as long as it does not appear deceptive
  • Any omissions of in between lines must be clearly marked in-line to the logs along with a brief description giving a rough amount of the lines removed, what they contained, and why they were removed
    • -snip-(500 lines of the clown slipping the hos in the other room removed for being irrelevant)
  • You must link to the log file you got the logs from to make it easier to validate the context
  • Air on the side of good faith, Its better to include too many context lines then not enough lines context lines
  • Expect onlookers to assume bad faith. If you omit details that are later deemed to be important people will assume you did it intentionally. This means doing due diligence when reviewing the logs for related or relevant bits.
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder


MrStonedOne on Reddit(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord.

[10:55 AM] spookydonut: stonedmc is the work of a criminally insane mad genius

User avatar
imblyings
 
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:42 pm
Location: >using suit sensors
Byond Username: Ausops

Re: Ban Appeal Forum Rules (READ BEFORE POSTING)

Postby imblyings » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:56 pm #363025

Goon has this. Now we have it too.

Lie in an appeal and it gets denied solely on admin discretion, no matter how justified the appeal might be otherwise. Feign regret or that you've learned a lesson if you must but making up false details or leaving details out just doesn't help you.
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.

User avatar
Rustledjimm
 
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:07 pm
Byond Username: Rustledjimm

Re: Ban Appeal Forum Rules (READ BEFORE POSTING)

Postby Rustledjimm » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:39 pm #423906

The anon3 amendment is now to be named The Peanut Policy.

The following changes have been made:
The Policy now also covers admins in the Ban Appeals subforums, a similar change is being added to the Admin Complaints subforum. Unless they are the banning admin, a headmin or a Game Master they too must follow the Policy.

Also the time period limit for a thread with no activity is being shortened from a month maximum to a week maximum.
So uhh, I'm an admin. Please leave feedback!

Will Baker
Suzu Suzaku
TBC
Spoiler:
Image

Personal Ban Length Record: 2.1024e+006 minutes

User avatar
Nervere
 
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:38 am
Byond Username: Nervere
Github Username: nervere

Re: Ban Appeal Forum Rules (READ BEFORE POSTING)

Postby Nervere » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:45 am #467015

I edited rule 5 to clarify that "you may appeal once a year" means every 12 months. No, it doesn't mean that you can appeal on January 1st if it has been less than 12 months.

User avatar
Nervere
 
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:38 am
Byond Username: Nervere
Github Username: nervere

Re: Ban Appeal Forum Rules (READ BEFORE POSTING)

Postby Nervere » Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:15 am #487720

Game Masters are no longer exempt from the peanut posting rule.

User avatar
Hulkamania
In-Game Game Master
 
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:42 pm
Byond Username: Hulkamania

Re: Ban Appeal Forum Rules (READ BEFORE POSTING) [Update 8/30]

Postby Hulkamania » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:02 am #536911

Specified that retired administrator bans can be handled by any active admin.


Return to Ban Appeals

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users