Talk about video games here
Qbopper
In-Game Admin

Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Re: Dwarf Fortress: Travelling Bar Brawler edition

Postby Qbopper » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:11 pm #482997

it's pretty sad circumstances for it going on steam though

apparently they're having family health issues and need the money badly but patreon is too inconsistent
Limey wrote:its too late.

Malkevin
Confined to the shed

Byond Username: Malkevin

Postby Malkevin » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:25 pm #483001

There's a patreon post

Spoiler:
Dwarf Fortress coming to Steam and itch.io, free version always updated and available
Hey everybody! We mentioned a big announcement on the development log, and here it is: Dwarf Fortress is coming to Steam and itch with a new tile set, and generally enhanced graphics and audio. We'll continue updating and releasing the free ASCII version on the Bay 12 web page as Dwarf Fortress Classic.

We don't talk about this much, but for many years, Zach has been on expensive medication, which has fortunately been covered by his healthcare. It's a source of constant concern, as the plan has changed a few times and as the political environment has shifted. We have other family health risks, and as we get older, the precariousness of our situation increases; after Zach's latest cancer scare, we determined that with my healthcare plan's copay etc., I'd be wiped out if I had to undergo the same procedures. That said, crowdfunding is by far our main source of income and the reason we're still here. Your support is still crucial, as the Steam release may or may not bring us the added stability we're seeking now and it's some months away.

We're going to finish the villain release first and get it stabilized before I complete the coding required to support the new graphics. But the artists are already hard at work!

Here's a (very short) trailer, including some in-game footage with new art, transparency, and some other goodies: Trailer

And here's more of the tile art (this image is 1920x1080 so you might have to zoom in, not in-game):

There are a few more examples over on the store pages: Steam, itch.io

The graphics are being made possible by Kitfox Games and Tanya X. Short (we co-edited a few books together, I've known her for years, and we can count on her to do an awesome job.) She's contracted Mike Mayday and Meph, who've both been with the modding community for many years. Zach and I are working closely with them as they create a tile set that fits the game and meshes well with our underlying code. Tanya has also brought on a talented composer and SFX designer, Dabu, who has already created several musical tracks and some sound effects. Even though this change was brought about by uncertainty and concern, now that we're on this path, we're determined to make an excellent go of it with underlying changes in accessibility and modding which redound to everybody, no matter which version they play.

When the Steam version is released, people that choose to pick it up will get the new graphical tiles, new music and audio, as well as Steam Workshop integration. The people that stick with Dwarf Fortress Classic will still get all of the upcoming Dwarf Fortress features as we add them, and modders will also be able to utilize the new graphical capabilities you can see above in their own creations.

Thanks to all of you who've been with us through the years. It's always going to be important to us to bring you a free Dwarf Fortress that anybody can just download and play, and we're only able to do that because of your support. The addition of this new version should be pretty cool as well, and we're looking forward to having a future together!

Well looking at the tileset after the initial shock and I think it's just the grass slopes that are bothering me (they've got a strange perspective), the furniture looks a bit basic but the rest does look pretty good.
Apparently they've even managed to dig up Mayday and he's working on the tileset too, I wonder if he did the character sprites - they look like his style?
This space intentionally left blank.

XSI

Byond Username: XSI

Postby XSI » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:35 am #483194

>Tilesets
>Not glorious ASCII

Sucks that they need to though

Rustledjimm
In-Game Game Master

Byond Username: Rustledjimm

Postby Rustledjimm » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:45 pm #483280

It has workshop support.

I'm sure there'll be an ascii mod
So uhh, I'm an admin. Please leave feedback!

Will Baker
Suzu Suzaku
TBC
Spoiler:

Personal Ban Length Record: 2.1024e+006 minutes

Malkevin
Confined to the shed

Postby Malkevin » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:55 pm #483288

It has an ASCII option

Takeguru

Byond Username: TakeGuru

Postby Takeguru » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:38 pm #484589

I'm cautiously excited, hitting a mainstream audience might bring new modders into it

ColonicAcid

Byond Username: ColonicAcid

Postby ColonicAcid » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:45 pm #484610

i dont think there is alot of people that don't know about dwarf fortress.

it gets talked about all the time, its just as soon as people try and play it they hit a massive wall that 90% of normal people just cant be bothered to climb.
crack is whack but smacks got your back

XSI

Postby XSI » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:00 pm #485062

And then they watch their favourite youtuber play it with a tileset
Perfectly reasonable, really. It's not something a lot of people can be arsed with even if it's not actually that hard. Just very intimidating at first

Malkevin
Confined to the shed

Postby Malkevin » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:57 pm #486086

IkeTG

Byond Username: LizardDreams

Postby IkeTG » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:57 am #486109

can't wait to see a bunch of people who have never played DF boycott DF
NSFW:
Spoiler:

XSI

Postby XSI » Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:03 am #486123

This may have something to do with their publisher for the steam version putting out a shitload of very left-oriented games but nothing of any real note whatsoever
Maybe he listened to the stupidity that is "Putting in politics gives you more money!" in his time where he needed the money for that medical stuff, despite the fact that it's not how any game has worked in the past

At least DF is moddable and very modular, so if anyone really considers this a game breaking deal it's as easy as setting a chance number to 0

Lumbermancer

Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Postby Lumbermancer » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:08 am #486143

IkeTG wrote:can't wait to see a bunch of people who have never played DF boycott DF

But does Star Gay Lily play DF?
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge

Malkevin
Confined to the shed

Postby Malkevin » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:52 am #486161

IkeTG wrote:can't wait to see a bunch of people who have never played DF boycott DF

Considering the amount of df players that process migrants via copious amounts of magma, I know which side will be boycotting the game for allowing you to purge the fort of trannies.

Which will happen if Tarn does a true to life sim and has trannies suffer bad moods (like "Urist rejected my love because I have a lever", or if he adds the surgery: "I really want kids but now I can't") and eventually drown themselves in the mist generator and cause a tantrum spiral.

If he doesn't I'm willing to bet someone will complain at it being a missed opportunity to highlight the issues trans people face.

Oh by the way, have you ever taken a breeding pair of animals on embark then wondered why they aren't breeding?
Congrats, your dog is one of the 10% of creatures that are gay

XSI

Postby XSI » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:28 pm #486165

Alternatively you could just wait until he finally adds magic and bring a rune of genderswap
And then congrats, the entire transexual issue is solved. Just as it's solved in D&D for the low price of one cursed girdle. That is basically given away for free because >merchants and cursed items

PKPenguin321
In-Game Game Master

Byond Username: PKPenguin321

Postby PKPenguin321 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:20 pm #486187

Also transexuality in games is usually an issue if it's just shoehorned in for no reason except brownie points. It's justifiable and hardly shoehorned in a game like DF that tries to be a comprehensive simulation of everything. Really, it's just an "okay whatever" feature at worst if it's something you don't care about and an "oh, neat" feature at best if you do.
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:

FantasticFwoosh
Confined to the shed

Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Postby FantasticFwoosh » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:57 pm #486210

Im going to say that Toady is midly autistic in his defence and has misinterpreted the question because its not interpreted the game, i think he thought they meant gender preferences rather than straight up gender surgery (unless some magic BS is involved like a side effect of changing sex every time you cast a spell) because for the best of us gender politics is hard.

He's already made homosexuality a togglable value by just modifying a few things here and there incase someone conservative was going to play so i really don't think the direction will lean hard left or obnoxiously progressivist (besides from the usually sometimes muddled interpretations of questions posed by people in his community regarding the game)

Especially when it gets imposed onto something as complicated as DF where you could feasibly probably dress up and disguise yourself as a lady to bribe the dwarven guards infront of the vault with some alcohol.
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

IkeTG

Byond Username: LizardDreams

Postby IkeTG » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:33 pm #486213

tbh gay dwarves are hilarious
NSFW:
Spoiler:

XSI

Postby XSI » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:41 am #486238

There was also a dwarf women beards toggle somewhere if my memory serves
How would you even tell the difference between a gay and straight dwarf when they're dressed at that point?

Takeguru

Byond Username: TakeGuru

Postby Takeguru » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:19 pm #486271

Honestly if trans dwarves mean less kids get popped out that's fine by me
None of my forts really last long enough for fortborn dwarves to age up into usefulness

XSI

Postby XSI » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:07 am #486344

Mine do and I can tell you that it's not important to your population count or fort efficiency or whatnot
It's basically just like getting a single migrant with lots of social skills and nothing of any real use to the fort. Would be nice if you could have them apprentice with a mason, miner, smith or something in their childhood so they don't end up completely useless but with a shitload of friends so the magma isn't a solution. But then I suppose you can always use more people to haul shit around or do non-skill jobs like furnace operating

confused rock

Byond Username: The unloved rock

Postby confused rock » Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:29 pm #487010

All I think is in a monarchy where random people can be jailed because the king didn't get enough slade chairs made I don't think transgenders would even be an idea that exists

toady is toady so

Previous

Return to Video Games