Starbound

Talk about video games here
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Starbound

Post by Zilenan91 » #149930

I played this back when it was in really early early access and I've come back to it only recently. Is it any good?
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Re: Starbound

Post by Saegrimr » #149931

Do you like Terraria with incredibly worse combat but better building and a futuristic theme?
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #149932

They redid the combat I think, it now works where the monsters physically attack you with animations, not touching, and you can parry their attacks and stuff
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #149935

They "redid" the combat like 5 times by now and its still the same clunky garbage with ugly random generated monsters and weapons that have zero uniqueness to them. Unless you really like borderlands-style "toilet-sword that shoots ice rockets" and other HEEEEEEEEELARIOUS random effects.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #149936

Doesn't Terraria do the same thing with their combat? From what I remember of it from when I played a few years ago you just swung at/shot at monsters until they died.

From videos I've seen of it on Steam most weapons now have unique attacks, you can hold out spears after an attack to keep doing damage in front of you, spin in mid-air with a sword for combos, suck things in with a shotgun to then shoot them, that sort of thing. I don't really mind if a lot of the weapons are inherently silly if they're satisfying to use and make sense in the world, and since the game has barely any lore it pretty much makes sense.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

LiamLime
Byond Username: LiamLime

Post by LiamLime » #149937

Starbound is the 14 dollar game which everyone played for 160 hours and gave a negative review because.

In other words, it's fine.
The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of the expanding bureaucracy.
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #149938

LiamLime wrote:Starbound is the 14 dollar game which everyone played for 160 hours and gave a negative review because.

In other words, it's fine.
Man that's like saying everybody played Elite: Dangerous for so long before giving it a bad review so its clearly fine when 20 hours of it is just learning where the fuck you even are, and the next 40 are spent desperately looking for something to do.

I don't wanna get into the "artificial content" buzzwords, but when the majority of it is spent aimlessly poking at the ground for a specific metal just so you can actually fix your dinky spaceship to even go somewhere else... You're not being shown the whole picture from the start, obviously, but once you finally get there you ask yourself "so now what".

"lel just go explore make YOUR OWN fun wow do you have NO IMAGINATION back in MY DAY we used to shove twigs in our urethras and PRETENDED WE WERE KNIGHTS"

Rant aside, they had the right idea with some of the somewhat recent "story quests" like the one where you fight weird pink things in an abandoned spacestation. I wonder if they ever expanded on that one fucking area or if they just gave up in favor of more randomly generated garbage.
LiamLime

Post by LiamLime » #149941

I stand by my opinion that If you've played a 14 dollar game for 160 hours, you lose the right to give it a negative overall rating in good conscience.

Were it a 60 dollar AAA game, then you might have a point, but for a 14 dollar game - no.

Spending 160 hours on a game (which means spending lots of play-sessions on it), and then saying the experience was overall unsatisfactory, is simply retarded. Sure, one can criticize aspects of it or say they consider the experience as a whole ultimately unrewarding, but if they genuinely did not enjoy the game, then why the hell did they keep playing it for session after session, hour after hour. And let me emphasize this again - it's a 14 dollar game.

Ultimately, I think the biggest problem with Starbound is the existence of Terraria. If you enjoy one, you'll likely enjoy the other. If you play through one and lose interest before the content runs out, then you likely won't enjoy the other.
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #149942

wow look at liam here dictating to you the job requirements for disliking a game
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #149945

LiamLime wrote:Sure, one can criticize aspects of it or say they consider the experience as a whole ultimately unrewarding, but if they genuinely did not enjoy the game, then why the hell did they keep playing it for session after session, hour after hour. And let me emphasize this again - it's a 14 dollar game.
Because if I drop money on anything, i'm going to look for the fun everybody keeps talking about.

Maybe this is just the tutorial, right? All the FUN will be had after I unlock this next part.

Okay well no that just unlocked the ability to unlock some more stuff, I bet that's where all the cool shit is, right?

~CUE 20 HOURS OF LOOKING FOR STUPID LOW-SPAWN ROCKS UNDERGROUND~

Alright, everything is fixed. I can finally into space now. I've reached the next step of progression so that means its time for the FUN.
I sure hope this was worth the emphasized only a 14 dollarydoo game and time sunk into it!

"HERE YOU ARE LOYAL CUSTOMER, 300 DIFFERENT COLORS OF DIRT AND WATER TO CHOOSE FROM COMPLETE WITH YOUR OWN BUTT MONSTERS TO NEVER HAVE A SENSIBLE SPAWNING MECHANIC WHILE YOU TRY TO BUILD A HOUSE ON IT. ENJOY"

thumbs up 10/10 you too can experience this journey for emphasized only 14 dollars -ign
my twig snapped and i had to go to the hospital to get it removed -gramps
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #149949

I really love the structures the game generates. Really makes it seem like it has more life http://i.imgur.com/BDFBuR4.png?1

I've seen a bunch more like this that were pretty cool but this one was the one I liked the most
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #149957

More screenshots, this one featuring sideways rain. http://i.imgur.com/K5pISxh.png?1
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

TheWiznard
Github User
Byond Username: TheWiznard
Github Username: TheWiznard

Post by TheWiznard » #149958

I think we already have like two other starbound threads but idc.

I guess starbound was okay. i only put 69 hours into it and that was just from the hype train when tg had a server and people were playing it day and day again. It's an okay game but isn't really enjoyable for me without multiplayer. actually to be 10000% honest, the only fucking cool thing Starbound did was the abc instruments. 68 of those 69 hours was me sitting around our base playing songs on a hotbar full of instruments. everything else was garbage.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #149974

It got a lot better since then, I played it for about 30 hours and it's like a whole new game.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

LiamLime

Post by LiamLime » #149995

Ricotez wrote:wow look at liam here dictating to you the job requirements for disliking a game
LiamLime wrote:I stand by my opinion ...

Saegrimr wrote:--snip--
While that is a perfectly reasonable excuse, when one's played the game for 160 hours, I really don't think the excuse applies anymore. One can spend their time chasing the promised fun, which never comes, but eventually, I feel that anyone should be capable of realizing that there is either no fun to be had, or that the game is simply not for them. I think that at some point, it's reasonable to expect players to come to that conclusion and stop playing. I don't know or care what the precise time is, by which each reasonable person should be capable of realizing they aren't finding a game fun, but I know it's sooner than 160 hours.

I used 160 hours on purpose, because I agree that giving a game a negative overall review after having played it for 20, 40, 60 hours, is reasonable. I just don't think it's reasonable to say the game is shit after having played it for 160 hours. Clearly there was something in the game which warranted spending that amount of time, even if the player felt none the richer after having played it. The other reason I used 160 hours is because I've already had this conversation with someone, who gave the game a negative review after having played it for specifically 160 hours.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #150214

It's at this point that I've basically gotten to the end of the game, and I have to say, it's been pretty fun.

The feature that I'd love to talk about is the colony system. If you go to an outpost, you can buy this thing called a colony deed. What it does is that it spawns in a colonist that varies depending on the decorations in a room. So if you have a bunch of Avian stuff in there, it'll spawn an Avian. I made a colony of a ton of Avians and every so often these Avians will have a mission for me. Sometimes it would be to go to an Avian building of some description and get some avian relic, and then come back and put it in their house. It gives incentive for players to pimp out their colonists without outright telling them to do so, and it's fantastic. It gets you to really care about the layout of your colony, so you improve it, put up defenses, toss in some soldier colonists, and then bam, what started off as a little wooden shack inside a cliff on a desert island in the middle of an ocean turns into a little underground apartment complex of colonists who interact, pay rent to you, talk to eachother, give eachother presents, and fall in "love". The colony system gives so many hours of gameplay for something so simple.

However, there is one massive gripe I have with the game. Ship Upgrades. You see, upgrading your ship not only gives you extra space in it, but also gives you access to more shit in your crafting menu. The problem is that in order to upgrade your ship, you need to do EVERY SINGLE SIDE QUEST IN THE OUTPOST. EVERY. SINGLE. ONE. From baking some dumbfuck a cake, to going on missions as per the main quest, or giving some avian chick your (coco)nuts, it's such a freaking grind. It's especially horrible since the quests refresh after every upgrade, so you have to do an entirely new set of quests to get your ship to the next tier and it's such a freaking grind. The only way to beat these that's really feasible is to look online for the locations of where a lot of these things might spawn. That isn't necessarily a bad thing but it's certainly annoying. Also god-for-fucking-bid your colonists ask for some relic in an Avian Tomb and then upon going to three find that not a single one spawned in any of them, only to go to some middle of bumfuck nowhere planet and find it on the wall of an Avian's house, the complete opposite of where they told you it'd be.

The combat is pretty fun. Particularly at end-game tier weapons, the enemies you fight are quite tough and it gets pretty tense as you desperately try to knock them back long enough to heal. Combat has a surprising amount of depth too, it's enjoyable because of the variety in weapons and their special attacks that completely change up how you look at a situation. Do you pick the spear that can do a flurry in front of you or do you pick the one that can make an AOE around you that hits enemies? Or do you hold the spear out after you've attacked to keep knocking enemies back and possibly into environmental hazards.

Oh also this site http://www.starboundmap.com/planets FUCKING USE IT. It's the most helpful thing conceived if you need to go hunt for specific resources. Saves hours.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Zellion
Byond Username: Zellion

Post by Zellion » #150216

Honestly, I just hosted my own server, made myself admin, and added all the random bullshit needed to do quests and get starship upgrades so I could do stuff other than collect 200 seaweed or collect 20 rocks from the core of the earth when the only thing you can mine with takes 5 seconds to break one rock.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #150245

>play a game for a few hours and call it bad
>you just have not played enough it gets good 50 hours in!
>play a game all the way through and call it bad
>whyd you play so much? You must have enjoyed it!

You can never win.

Also I got a refund for starbound, what a horrible let down.
Maccus
Byond Username: FrowningMaccus

Post by Maccus » #150248

This game is so bad it makes me agree with Saegrimr.
Spoiler:
Takeguru
Byond Username: TakeGuru

Post by Takeguru » #150311

I kind of like how they fixed it up
It's still a worse terraria but I prefer the setting over Terraria's.
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #150330

Takeguru wrote:I kind of like how they fixed it up
It's still a worse terraria but I prefer the setting over Terraria's.
Yeah pretty much. If you're looking for a fun GAME, play Terraria. If you're looking for comfy autism 2D building in a futuristic setting, then Starbound would be your choice.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #150448

Saegrimr wrote:
LiamLime wrote:Sure, one can criticize aspects of it or say they consider the experience as a whole ultimately unrewarding, but if they genuinely did not enjoy the game, then why the hell did they keep playing it for session after session, hour after hour. And let me emphasize this again - it's a 14 dollar game.
Because if I drop money on anything, i'm going to look for the fun everybody keeps talking about.

Maybe this is just the tutorial, right? All the FUN will be had after I unlock this next part.

Okay well no that just unlocked the ability to unlock some more stuff, I bet that's where all the cool shit is, right?

~CUE 20 HOURS OF LOOKING FOR STUPID LOW-SPAWN ROCKS UNDERGROUND~

Alright, everything is fixed. I can finally into space now. I've reached the next step of progression so that means its time for the FUN.
I sure hope this was worth the emphasized only a 14 dollarydoo game and time sunk into it!

"HERE YOU ARE LOYAL CUSTOMER, 300 DIFFERENT COLORS OF DIRT AND WATER TO CHOOSE FROM COMPLETE WITH YOUR OWN BUTT MONSTERS TO NEVER HAVE A SENSIBLE SPAWNING MECHANIC WHILE YOU TRY TO BUILD A HOUSE ON IT. ENJOY"

thumbs up 10/10 you too can experience this journey for emphasized only 14 dollars -ign
my twig snapped and i had to go to the hospital to get it removed -gramps
this is incredibly hilarious and accurate and you should write steam reviews
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #150458

I played for 44 hours.

Every time I managed to get to the next zone, the enemies would deal enough damage in one hit to instakill me, even if I had the best suit of armor from the previous area, and the weapons took like ten hits to kill anything. There was no way to make more healing items, so you'd just die over and over until you scraped together enough ore to make a new suit of armor/weapon, whereupon the enemies would STILL do like 1/3rd of your health per hit.

The game was just mining to get enough ore to make the next suit of armor/weapon and then the boss summoner to do it all again.

Awful.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
captain sawrge
Byond Username: Sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #150460

this game is fail. peace.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #150523

Terraria actually kicks starbound's dick on pretty much all fronts except graphics
Combat is fun, progression is fun, building is fun (and has a purpose)

I don't really get why people would play starbound at all...
Oh wait yes I do, it has 10,000 furry mods and furry servers
Spoiler:
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #150524

Remember when Minecraft was exciting?
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #150526

DemonFiren wrote:Remember when Minecraft was exciting?
Tbh Minecraft is still kinda fun until you get to the endgame phase where there's nothing left to do but build. Building things in Minecraft is such a tremendous pain in the dick. Terraria has fucking wings and portal guns and grappling hooks that make you able to move freely enough to build whatever you want, but minecraft's endgame is basically a ton of iron and diamond armor.
Spoiler:
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #150551

PKPenguin321 wrote:
DemonFiren wrote:Remember when Minecraft was exciting?
Tbh Minecraft is still kinda fun until you get to the endgame phase where there's nothing left to do but build. Building things in Minecraft is such a tremendous pain in the dick. Terraria has fucking wings and portal guns and grappling hooks that make you able to move freely enough to build whatever you want, but minecraft's endgame is basically a ton of iron and diamond armor.
this is exactly why I cannot play Minecraft without mods anymore, modded Minecraft endgame is fucking wings and portal guns and delving into eldritch dimensions with magic wands and going insane when your super complicated item storage computer system crashes and the device you need to debug it was stored inside of it
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #150584

Ricotez wrote:this is exactly why I cannot play Minecraft without mods anymore, modded Minecraft endgame is fucking wings and portal guns and delving into eldritch dimensions with magic wands and going insane when your super complicated item storage computer system crashes and the device you need to debug it was stored inside of it
Oh man I fucking love those turbo-autism industrial mods with fucking pipe networks and wires going everygoddamnwhere. Basically the only real depth you can expect out of the game.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #150867

I remember playing the Tekkit mod but it was like 2 or 3 years ago so I don't know how much it's changed since then.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #150929

Way too much to even begin listing.
Takeguru

Post by Takeguru » #150936

I'm a sucker for one of those magical ones, I forget the name of it

I just know you made a book and did research with it
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #150969

Thaumology.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #151027

I usually play the FTB modpacks now, they're huge and you need a pretty powerful machine to handle that many mods but it's worth it for all the crazy ways in which they let you automate your entire life

there are four major magic mods right now:
  • Thaumcraft, which is probably the oldest one and is in its 5th version now. You make wands out of magical wood, charge them with magical energy from magical nodes, and scan the magical composition of every item in the world with a special lens. Then you perform magical research in your magical book by solving puzzles, progressing through a research tree that lets you make more and more outlandish magical shit. The kicker is that a lot of research "warps" you, makes you slowly go insane. If you're insane enough you can start doing eldritch research, get eldritch visitors, and even figure out how to visit them.
  • Botania, which is Elf Central. You use flowers to generate mana in multiple different ways, pool up that mana and then use it to power other flowers or make powerful artifacts.
  • Witchery, which involves a lot of herbology and cooking vapours up. It also has familiars and demon summoning circles. I've never done Witchery but it looks awesome.
  • Blood Magic, which has you build a sacrifical altar and slowly expand it, while you use your own life force and the life force of others to power it and infuse potent magical items.
for a long time there was another one called Ars Magica that let you make your own spells but it hasn't been in any updated mod packs for a while
Spoiler:
TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #151135

its called thaumcraft tbhsmh famaroonie
Zellion
Byond Username: Zellion

Post by Zellion » #151872

I enjoyed minecraft with ars magica and all those crazy magic mods, and I had a shapeshifting mod too. Was fun and cool.
invisty
Byond Username: Invisty

Post by invisty » #151875

Tbh I do prefer the sergals over the silly avians.

But maybe im biases.
Mime: Depresso
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #151886

Devs are still doing stuff http://playstarbound.com/2nd-february-crews-control/

That article right there fixes 99% of my problems with the end-game grind for ship upgrades. I'm really looking forward to the next update.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #152054

the quests were kinda dumb

"oh hey why don't you get me this crystal that you'll only find near a planet's mantle"
Spoiler:
Skorvold
Byond Username: Skorvold

Post by Skorvold » #152060

Starbound as a whole is a let down. Minecraft isn't aesthetically pleasing enough for me to enjoy.
Never give up! Trust your instincts!
Spoiler:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/skorvold
Talk to me on steam anytime.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #152133

CosmicScientist wrote:
When you establish a colony and befriend a colonist by completing tasks for them...
Their previous ideas of quests concerns me... especially with how you would even get a colony.

Colonies are hella easy. There's a vendor on the outpost near the top left, just go buy a deed from him for 750 bones. After that go to a nice easy planet, preferably with monsters, and then make a building (or build into a mountain), pop on a door and put up some decorations and a light source. Then put the deed on the wall (you may need to remove some decorations), activate it, and boom there's a colonist. You can get different types of colonist and even different races of colonists depending on the decorations. So if you have a bunch of Avian shit you can get a bunch of Avian colonists, and if you put things like a weapon stall or a weapon chest in the room the colonist who spawns in will be armed and also be of the race appropriate to the decorations in the room. It's a nice system and it's also rather easy to get started in. Profitable too, they give you tons of healing items and pixels on a short timer, basically rent.

They also give you quests, sometimes these will be fetch quests you can decline or not that change your colonists' appearances, and sometimes these will be attacks on your colony from shit like bandits who will most likely die to wild animals and drop a lot of loot in the process.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #152876

Zilenan91 wrote:Devs are still doing stuff http://playstarbound.com/2nd-february-crews-control/

That article right there fixes 99% of my problems with the end-game grind for ship upgrades. I'm really looking forward to the next update.
you do know the starbound dev team has a history of promising things and not delivering for ages
you'll probably forget about the game entirely by the time the update comes out late 2020
Spoiler:
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #152879

You can play this stuff right now, they have these things called nightly builds that they push out every night. They're really buggy but they're nice because it lets you know the devs are doing stuff.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Takeguru

Post by Takeguru » #152881

They got the nickname Chucklefuck for a reason though.

And about half of that reason is Tiy being an insufferable bellend.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays
Byond Username: An0n3

Post by Timbrewolf » #152903

Maccus wrote:This game is so bad it makes me agree with Saegrimr.
Can't/don't need to say anything more than this.
Starbound is such a piece of shit it unites people in their mutual hatred.

Comparing this piece of garbage to Terraria and not being able to see the difference means you're fucking blind and should stop giving your dumbass opinions on games tbvh. Terraria actually has builds and classes in its combat, it has compelling boss fights that unlock more gameplay elements when defeated. It has biomes with individual monsters with specific loot tables.

Starbound lets you advance from one colored armor to the next and onto another galaxy where the randomly generated garbage monsters have more inflated statistics. Whoop-de-fuckin'-doo.

The undeniably best and only good part of Starbound is finding a musical instrument and playing different songs with other players.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #167392

Starbound 1.0 is coming out soon. http://steamcommunity.com/games/211820/ ... 8194023310

A lot of what they say in the announcement sounds like generic praise, but a lot of it does pique my interest. It seems like it'll be a lot more interesting once the update hits.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #167394

Wait they're just now getting to 1.0?

Jesus christ...
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #167398

It's a whole different game than what it was a year ago, actually playable and actually fun until it runs out of content.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #167399

Zilenan91 wrote:and actually fun until it runs out of content.
So same shit as always, they just piled on more and more "content"?
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #167400

They added a hub world, made changing planets not total shit, and also added quests and instanced missions with decently designed bosses that are pretty challenging. They still have tiered armors but they aren't as shitty as they were before because you can choose what set of armor you want and what weapon type you want to focus on is complemented by stats on the armor you have. Also armor makes you hit harder so there aren't retardedly high damage numbers anymore and having ridiculous weapons matters much less.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote: