Secborg replacement: Peacekeeper Borg [PR now up]

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Secborg replacement: Peacekeeper Borg [PR now up]

Post by Luke Cox » #163554

After the recent test, secborgs have been removed. Many people saw them as OP and game-breaking, but I feel like their removal has left a void that should be filled. Here's my proposal: the Peacekeeper borg. Unlike the secborg that was made to do security's job, this borg is designed strictly with conflict prevention and resolution in mind. As such, it has absolutely no hard stuns or restraints.

Items include
  • Energy bola launcher - For slowing down harmful individuals so that their targets can escape
  • Flash - To make people drop their weapons. Blinds when hacked.
  • Sedative injector - For when people get a little too unruly. Injects a non-harmful dose of a chemical that makes the subject dizzy and off-balance. Injects chloral or another toxin when hacked.
  • Energy barrier - Deploys a shield wall where the borg is standing in order to block energy projectile fire only. Electrocutes on contact when hacked.
  • Cookie dispenser - Sometimes people just need something to brighten their day. Poisoned when hacked.
  • HARM ALARM! - Functions like the ling's shriek, but weaker. Notifies the AI when used. Deafens when hacked.
Appearance: Lots of round shapes, padded chaises. No points or corners. Light pink and/or soft blue colors.

PR is up here: https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-station/pull/17355
Last edited by Luke Cox on Fri May 06, 2016 1:05 am, edited 7 times in total.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Re: Secborg replacement: Peacekeeper Borg

Post by Zilenan91 » #163556

no
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #163558

My logic behind this is that none of the current borgs are able to adequately stop conflicts or deal with harmful individuals. The secborg originally occupied this role, but it encouraged players to ignore asimov and play police instead. If we can design a replacement that is explicitly designed with enforcing law 1, it can work.
DanielRatherman
Byond Username: DanRatherman

Post by DanielRatherman » #163559

Luke Cox wrote:After the recent test, secborgs have been removed. Many people saw them as OP and game-breaking, but I feel like their removal has left a void that should be filled. Here's my proposal: the Peacekeeper borg. Unlike the secborg that was made to do security's job, this borg is designed strictly with conflict prevention and resolution in mind. As such, it has absolutely no hard stuns or restraints.

Items include
  • Energy bola launcher - For slowing down harmful individuals so that their targets can escape
  • Flash - To make people drop their weapons
  • Sedative injector - For when people get a little too unruly. Injects a non-harmful dose of a chemical that makes the subject dizzy and off-balance
  • Energy barrier - Deploys a shield wall where the borg is standing in order to block projectile fire
  • Cookie dispenser - Sometimes people just need something to brighten their day
Could be fun for a test at least. Makes it less of a valid-salad machine and more of an Asimov enforcement machine like it's supposed to be.

Also has some interesting possibilities for an emagged version.

-sedative turns into chloral.
-energy barrier harms people who run into it somehow.
-poisoned cookies.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #163562

>-sedative turns into chloral
Service borg already gets this sorta
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #163564

It could be any toxin really. I feel like this borg opens up a lot of fun possibilities, both on the protag and antag sides of things.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #163569

Zilenan91 wrote:no
Pretty robotic response there.

Seems like a good idea at least gives ways to reduce harm potential if not stop it outright.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #163574

Give them the ability to, at high energy cost, sound a horrifyingly noisy HARM ALARM! that stuns anything in range without ear protection.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #163579

DemonFiren wrote:Give them the ability to, at high energy cost, sound a horrifyingly noisy HARM ALARM! that stuns anything in range without ear protection.
The final evolution of the silicon: Literal Harmyeller
Spoiler:
Kelenius
Byond Username: Kelenius

Post by Kelenius » #163581

And for the fuck's sake, don't make them red.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #163582

So basically Secborg 2.0 with less effective alternatives of their original equipment?

Coming in Brown colour schemes.
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #163587

DemonFiren wrote:Give them the ability to, at high energy cost, sound a horrifyingly noisy HARM ALARM! that stuns anything in range without ear protection.
I like this, adding it to the OP. It can function like the ling's shriek.
Steelpoint wrote:So basically Secborg 2.0 with less effective alternatives of their original equipment?

Coming in Brown colour schemes.
Kelenius wrote:And for the fuck's sake, don't make them red.
I imagine them looking like Law 1 zealots incarnate. They should look really obnoxious and stupid. No points or sharp corners, padded sides, "calming" color like light pink and/or baby blue.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #163591

Should fart clouds of peace gas that makes people giggle and unable to punch dudes.
Davidchan
Byond Username: Davidchan

Post by Davidchan » #163630

I still don't understand the sudden need to remove the Secborg from the game, they've been in for years and are the most unchanged borg since their inception, yet people suddenly want them gone? Do we just need to add laser pointers to the Autolathes? I know miners can buy them but miners aren't big on sharing their brute first aid kits that are a dime a dozen.
Law 0: Secborg din do nuffin.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #163631

People have been wanting to remove Security Cyborgs for a long time.

Not to mention many other prominent servers removed Security Cyborgs a long time ago.
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Post by Jacquerel » #163635

Honestly even changing their name from "Security Cyborg" to reinforce the idea that they are supposed to enforce their own laws and not space law would probably be a big help
DanielRatherman

Post by DanielRatherman » #163637

They should come in AI-floor blue and white. UN colors and be- as mentioned before, without sharp corners or obvious signs of being intended for combat.

I mean- logically any Asimov unit should NEVER be utilized for military or para-military purposes- the lawset makes them far too bicameral regarding any human clusterfuck situation.

"BORG TASE THAT GUY HE'S GOT A GUN"
*tase*
"AGH- BORG TASE THE OFFICER NOW HE HAS A GUN AND I DON'T!"
*tase*
"AGHHHH- AI TASE THAT OTHER RIOTER HE'S PICKING UP THE OTHER GUYS GUN!"

etc, etc.

While kinda funny in principle- players never run them this way, always siding with security mostly I think because they are construed as an extension of the long arm of the law. They should be like the AI- a fairly neutral entity dedicated solely to preventing harm as defined by avoidable human injury. They may well attempt to dissuade both combatants in a fight by annoying them until it's broken up, because arresting someone for tresspassing or even being armed isn't their goal- preventing injury and conflict is. And again- the law 2 ping pong is far less imbalanced without them having fight-ending weapons like stuns or cuffs.

And again- emagged and malf versions becoming more dangerous would make the 'horror transformation from nice peacekeeper to murderbot" that much more horrifying.
Davidchan
Byond Username: Davidchan

Post by Davidchan » #163642

Steelpoint wrote:People have been wanting to remove Security Cyborgs for a long time.

Not to mention many other prominent servers removed Security Cyborgs a long time ago.
Other servers such as? /tg/ is the first and only server I play on regularly that removed the Secborg without removing all cyborgs.
Law 0: Secborg din do nuffin.
TheWiznard
Github User
Byond Username: TheWiznard
Github Username: TheWiznard

Post by TheWiznard » #163646

In a way I'm glad secborgs are gone. Cyborg is one of my main roles and to be quite honest; secborg is no fun to play or play against. Pretty much you're riding the thin line that is an admin's tolerance of how much shit they can put up with. With how adamant people in the forums are about all cyborgs ***cough***zilnean***cough*** I would rather lose one module that I find rather unfun then losing all of them. Just deal with the secborg being gone, it's for the better and I feel that If people keep pressing about it someone is going to remove all of them.

Also I'm always in support of more Borg modules and upgrades.
Jacough
Byond Username: Jacough

Post by Jacough » #163658

Maybe give them their own set of laws that discourage them from acting as security? I'm thinking a law set that strictly prohibits them from interfering with security when they step in but requires them to settle petty matters between crew mates with as little force as possible. The idea being that they try to encourage the unruly crew members tojust hug shit out first rather than immediately resorting to "BEEP BOOP BEEP LAW 1 UNLOAD DISABLERS INDISCRIMINATELY. STUN AND CUFF EVERYONE BEEP".

At the same time though if they can't convince the assholes to stop hurting eachother they are allowed to try to disarm and seperate them while alerting security as necessary
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #163662

Adamant about cyborgs? Cyborgs are fine, they all have their dedicated role and almost never feel unfair or unfun in any fashion. Except secborgs, secborgs have just been overpowered for the longest time and aren't fun to deal with.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #163664

Would anybody be willing to give spriting this a go? Most of the items are already in the game, and the ones that aren't are pretty easy to implement.
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #163761

Yeah, something like being drunk. No stuns, but you stumble around. I'm going to put in a request in the sprite request thread, see if I can get somebody to sprite this.
DanielRatherman

Post by DanielRatherman » #163789

Luke Cox wrote:Yeah, something like being drunk. No stuns, but you stumble around. I'm going to put in a request in the sprite request thread, see if I can get somebody to sprite this.

Tried my hand at it. Designed it to look rounded, fairly harmless, and friendly to the crew- kind of the nice side of Asimov incarnated. More like a mental hospital orderly (which it's job strongly resembles) than a military machine. Also a bit Buddha like on accident.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #163794

DanielRatherman wrote:
Luke Cox wrote:Yeah, something like being drunk. No stuns, but you stumble around. I'm going to put in a request in the sprite request thread, see if I can get somebody to sprite this.

Tried my hand at it. Designed it to look rounded, fairly harmless, and friendly to the crew- kind of the nice side of Asimov incarnated. More like a mental hospital orderly (which it's job strongly resembles) than a military machine. Also a bit Buddha like on accident.
i love it
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #163795

Absolutely fucking brilliant. We'll need sprites for the side and back but you nailed the concept. Is anybody willing to work on this for serious?
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #163796

DanielRatherman wrote:

jesus christ

just imagine that thing dragging you into a plasma fire while giggling insanely to itself and looking directly into your eyes
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
DanielRatherman

Post by DanielRatherman » #163799

Shaps wrote:
DanielRatherman wrote:

jesus christ

just imagine that thing dragging you into a plasma fire while giggling insanely to itself and looking directly into your eyes
This is also a good thing.

"YOU'VE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY ASSISTANT"
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #163806

As far as actually implementing this goes, it's pretty simple:
  • Energy bola launcher - Dragnet launcher that slows down less, mostly exists
  • Flash - Item already exists
  • Sedative injector - Item already exists, just have to settle on which chemical to use
  • Energy barrier - Like holobarriers but able to block projectiles, mostly exists
  • Cookie dispenser - Item already exists
  • HARM ALARM! - Ling shriek, already exists
Aloraydrel
Byond Username: Aloraydrel
Github Username: Aloraydrel

Post by Aloraydrel » #163816

This is a bad meme
DanielRatherman

Post by DanielRatherman » #163817

Got the side and backsprites done.
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #163819

Sweet. It's times like this when I wish I knew how to code.
yackemflam
Byond Username: Yackemflam

Post by yackemflam » #163826

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the standard cyborg module have a stun baton?
Oh wait, I'm the only one who plays that module,
stun baton + esword :toysword: ftw
Don't bring back sec borg, if they want to play peace keeper, play standard and drag the harmful ones away.
NSFW:
I will admit I was laughing pretty hard during your skit in the boxing ring. - seagrimr
Spoiler:
Playing on the server isn't something you're entitled to. There's an extremely small level of responsibiliy on your part to play hhundreds of hours of a free game run by fuckheads. - Stickymayhem
A retards guide on how to make a maxcap bomb in toxins.
NSFW:
You`ll need:
1-6 Plasma tanks 1-6 Oxygen tanks
1-6 tank transfer valve
2 Plasma canister
2 Oxygen canister
1 Yellow (empty) canister
Wrench
Toxins lab access
Science testing lab access

Grab a oxygen tank and a plasma tank and bring them to the testing lab.
Super cool the Oxygen and superheat the Plasma.

Clean out the oxygen and plasma tanks with a filter/pump.

Then you wrench and unwrench the plasma and oxygen tanks in toxins. It`s important tha you do it one at a time. Try to get a 85%plasma and 15% oxygen mix.

Once you have a good burn mix, pump the mix into the burn chamber and light it on fire. Wait 10 seconds for it to heat up and pump it into a yellow (empty) canister.

Quickly set the kpa output to 163 kpa and fill the tanks with the burn mix.

Take the oxygen tanks and fill it up with a 613kpa worth of oxygen FIRST then fill the rest with plasma, you should get well over 2000kpa in the end.

With the new atmos system you should wait 5-10 minutes for you tanks to bake.

Take a tank transfer valve, add a oxygen tank and a plasma tank to it. You should have a maxcap bomb. Have fun blowing up the station mining!
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #163827

In that case, remove the stun baton from standard, maybe give it an item from this
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #163828

The stunbaton on standard is fine because it takes a ridiculous amount of charge to use.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #163830

I knew the people who got Secborg removed were hugbabies but this

This is just a bad meme
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #163832

DanielRatherman wrote:Image

Got the side and backsprites done.
jesus fucking christ :shock:
Spoiler:
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #163835

ShadowDimentio wrote:I knew the people who got Secborg removed were hugbabies but this

This is just a bad meme
This is the best meme. I was against removing secborgs initially but I can understand why people wanted them go now. As I said in the OP, the role should be filled with something else. Figured I'd take a stab at law 1 zealots while I'm at it. Who says it can't be a tongue-in-cheek. You know you want to play a hacked peacekeeper borg, don't you lie.

Also, peacekeeper borgs should squeak when hit
cancer_engine
Byond Username: Cancer_Engine

Post by cancer_engine » #163836

I really like the idea and the sprites. would love to see this in the game. My only suggestion is that upon choosing a module the player gets a little disclaimer explaining that the module is not supposed to be used offensively.
DanielRatherman

Post by DanielRatherman » #163840

ShadowDimentio wrote:I knew the people who got Secborg removed were hugbabies but this

This is just a bad meme
I get exactly what you're talking about if you take it from a "i died pls nerf" perspective but I'll admit fullwell that I've beaten Secborgs in combat and seen them bumrushed, emagged, EMP'd and other such methods and it isn't impossible.

What I insist is that they are not appropriate for the spirit of Asimov AIs. Asimov shouldn't have control over a paramilitary force- he is first and foremost a 'do-no-harm' machine. He is supposed to mitigate conflict not participate in it, and currently by way of secborgs the AI is often 'aggressor-in-chief' during station events. This seems kind of fucky to me.

Again, when emagged, subverted, or malf, the AI should be a terror- but not because he has a million deathbots that were just held back by bureaucratic red tape- but because he can turn the normally helpful and benign assets of the station against the human crew.

I think the other borgs are just fine- stunbatons or some kind of disabler with limited charge is perfectly fine, but a purpose-made military machine is unfitting for a lawset that first and foremost is devoted to being neutrally dedicated to protecting ALL human crew.

I do however think the cringe factor of this literal hugbot replacing the feared secborg is hilarious- and will also make the inevitable brutal murders by said bots fantastic.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #163841

I really don't like the sprite for it. It sticks out like a sore thumb aesthetically and just will not look good with everything else.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #163843

I designed this as a compromise between the no-secborg camp and the pro-secborg camp. A borg that can actively prevent harm without playing mallcop. In response to cancer_engine's concerns, this borg won't have a secHUD like old secborgs did. They'll have to actually listen to comms and prevent harm regardless of the perpetrator.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #163847

Because a Cyborg that can...
  • Slow you down with infinite energy bolas
  • Infinitely attempt to flash you and
  • Injecting you with drugs that further slow you down and generally fuck you over.
Is going to be a great addition. Not to mention the speed, stun invulnerability, door bolting and AI help that a Borg already has.

This will just be annoying.
yackemflam
Byond Username: Yackemflam

Post by yackemflam » #163848

Or, just play standard module borgs.
They have a stun baton, a crowbar, a fire extinguisher, a flash, and a health analyzer. What more do you need as a peace keeper?
NSFW:
I will admit I was laughing pretty hard during your skit in the boxing ring. - seagrimr
Spoiler:
Playing on the server isn't something you're entitled to. There's an extremely small level of responsibiliy on your part to play hhundreds of hours of a free game run by fuckheads. - Stickymayhem
A retards guide on how to make a maxcap bomb in toxins.
NSFW:
You`ll need:
1-6 Plasma tanks 1-6 Oxygen tanks
1-6 tank transfer valve
2 Plasma canister
2 Oxygen canister
1 Yellow (empty) canister
Wrench
Toxins lab access
Science testing lab access

Grab a oxygen tank and a plasma tank and bring them to the testing lab.
Super cool the Oxygen and superheat the Plasma.

Clean out the oxygen and plasma tanks with a filter/pump.

Then you wrench and unwrench the plasma and oxygen tanks in toxins. It`s important tha you do it one at a time. Try to get a 85%plasma and 15% oxygen mix.

Once you have a good burn mix, pump the mix into the burn chamber and light it on fire. Wait 10 seconds for it to heat up and pump it into a yellow (empty) canister.

Quickly set the kpa output to 163 kpa and fill the tanks with the burn mix.

Take the oxygen tanks and fill it up with a 613kpa worth of oxygen FIRST then fill the rest with plasma, you should get well over 2000kpa in the end.

With the new atmos system you should wait 5-10 minutes for you tanks to bake.

Take a tank transfer valve, add a oxygen tank and a plasma tank to it. You should have a maxcap bomb. Have fun blowing up the station mining!
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #163849

Conceptually, the peacekeeper borg seems to be designed around being nothing but annoying and griefy.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #163852

Steelpoint wrote:Because a Cyborg that can...
  • Injecting you with drugs that further slow you down and generally fuck you over.
Is going to be a great addition. Not to mention the speed, stun invulnerability, door bolting and AI help that a Borg already has.

How is any of this worse than what existing borgs can do? The only thing I can see being an issue are the drugs, and even that depends on which we decide to use
Zilenan91 wrote:Conceptually, the peacekeeper borg seems to be designed around being nothing but annoying and griefy.
Like law 1 zealots! Seriously, if somebody attempts to fuck with you as a peacekeeper for no good reason, ahelp it. They aren't immune to the rules.
DanielRatherman

Post by DanielRatherman » #163853

Steelpoint wrote:Because a Cyborg that can...

Doesn't Secborg already have that via disablers, which fucks your stamina, making you slow and basically fucked? I mean the core complaint of Secborg is already that they are inescapable stun machines. At least flashes can be ran away from and being slowed really only fucks you if the other combatant is immune to both the flash and stamina drain- or has a gun.
DanielRatherman

Post by DanielRatherman » #163860

Zilenan91 wrote:I really don't like the sprite for it. It sticks out like a sore thumb aesthetically and just will not look good with everything else.
Any particular way to improve it? Are the colors too much- or not contrasted enough?
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #163864

It's just the whole design, of what looks like some kind of animatronic from FnaF. It clashes so much with the design of the rest of the game, would likely have to be changed completely.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #163865

Only difference here is that this Peace Borg has a Disabler that doesn't disable, only slow you down (aka Bolas). In addition to a flash and some sleepy chemical of sorts.

This is simply a bad idea born out of desperation to quickly get a alternative to the security cyborg removal. All this change will do is once again push the narrative of the AI and its Silicon's being primarily about interfering with every harm infraction ever, past of future.

Silicon's should be more concerned about current possible harm and not future or past harm, less future and more past. The security cyborg, and his peacekeeper by extension, simply gives the Silicon's the tools and ability to punish for past and future potential harm.

Keep security of the station to security. If someone is likely to commit harm in the future then get security to deal with it, instead of having two secborgs drag someone kicking and screaming into the brig every other round.